SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by na85 View Post
I was referring to the "that's great that forum posts impress you" part. Whatever, it's not a big deal, I just happened to be skimming the thread.
Yes, I was poking fun at his comment, but he wasn't attempting to compliment me or SWGEmu by any means. In fact, he was complimenting the competition. I think I went easy on him. /shrug
Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 AM

Like I said, I'm really not too worked up over it, and emotion doesn't really translate well via forum. My bad.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by na85 View Post
Like I said, I'm really not too worked up over it, and emotion doesn't really translate well via forum. My bad.
Neither am I. np.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani_Leitquenen View Post
My question was edited with a link to the FAQ (which I had stated that I had already read) and a rolleyes icon, plus a two week ban. Now, while I probably deserved the ban, the rest was not needed.
I feel I must respond to this. In my opinion no one should ever get in trouble of any sort, be insulted, or even talked down to for asking a question. If you never asked questions I would expect your ignorance to be astounding. Being given a link is commendable, the roll eyes icon acceptable, but to punish someone for asking a question is to promote ignorance. Questions are the key to learning, if you never ask you never learn, and if you punish those who attempt to learn how can you blame anyone but yourself for being annoyed at the ignorance of others about subjects on which you are well versed?

Once again, I lay no blame, I am angry at no one. I am simply passing on the little wisdom I have when I see that it may be relevant(sp?).

I also wish to say thank you to those who have been helpful to me in answering my questions on IRC in the last couple of days. I appreciate your willingness to enlighten me, as I know my ignorance of this project must be more extensive than only a select few.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
no i think you guys are doin a great job,

i just visited the emu today and noticed two things no three that were not there last week

1) butterfies

2)bumble bee type insects

3) spawning brings you back to where you last exited the emu, which i might add was funny because i got lost in the vast expanses of the planet

now those might seem small to most, but to me they were an indication of progress and it was enough to satisfy my curiosity

i think since you guys do read the forum, that many of the ideas are being tossed around,

maybe one suggestion is in order, that there be a correspondent that will be able to address the issues discussed in the forum as far as ideas go, and give logical response either positively or negatively in a sticky to topics that seem to be the center of the most debate

that might help clarify some misconceptions and keep people focused on trying to work better as an overall team

just my $ 0.02
Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 AM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

re:

I think you guys are doing a great job with the game. Someone already mentioned this, but it would be nice to see something change on the front page more often. Casual users go to www.swgemu.com and see that not much is happening because the front page posts are few and far between and they may think nothing is going on. I don't care, I hang out in IRC, but most people don't. People who occasionally visitmay not delve into the forums, and be put off by a month+ between homepage updates. Just a thought.

Kyle
THE launchpad to have

Last edited by Kyle; 04-02-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:10 AM

What i would like is for you guys to focus on finishing combat..
making it a little fun so we could possibly hold off and wait while you guys work
what i mean is...
adding stats, character stats, migrating them ETC..
the way they were before
adding proffesions in so everyone is differnt..
adding armor and weapons with differnt stats as well ( doesn't have to be crafting maybe...)

i want to start testing out templates and pvping TRUELY the way it was before
even though that might be hard.. if you broke down really just worked for a week or two, maybe it'd be possible just to get all that in? then we could all wait for a while.

Like someone stated earlier forgot who.. but anyway
we could just have trainer npcs all in a line, training for skills, we could all just get skills there, then run off and pvp
then maybe another npc for clothings/armor/weapons.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Jotac

From what ive read here in this thread between staff and members it has reinforced what everyone has told me, that it is unfriendly here. If you cant take criticizism dont ask for it. I have stayed off TC here because i dont want to get banned unless there is a stress test and my server forums has told when to log on. I dont want to know you personnally but i do support your work. The staff seems to be taking things random people say too personal its just because of how people have been treated and no i cant prove it its just the word of many people i go by and my own observations. So keep up the good work sometimes fame sucks.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:54 AM

i dunno if this has been said as my eyes started to blur about 17 pages in so i skimmed form that point on.... i should really read this more often instead of all at once....

but anyway....

maybe a way to cut down on the newbie questions would be to stick the FAQ in the registration process. make it like EULA where you cant proceed with registration before you "read" it.

i know people never actually read the EULA's but with the faq maybe poeple would or atleast they would be aware of it and not go to the furoms first with the questions.

i dunno,

just my 2 creds on the subject.
<DANK> Don't Ask, Nobody Knows
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 AM

One thing to get more people into IRC would be better IRC help.

When I came here at first I only had a slight clue of what IRC even was. And I read all the post about reading IRC forum and searching it. So I searched, but really without any good results. I just couldn't find an easy guide about how to get it set.

Hell, it took some time only to find an IRC client. And finding the channel to login to wasn't easy at all. Maybe if there was a step by step IRC guide it would help alot of people that don't know alot of computers to use IRC.

The next problem was that when I logged in I was banned. ****, I thought, what did I do wrong now? I already knew that the rules were tough but... I hadn't even done anything! Anyhow, later I got explained to me that my ISP was banned. The solution would be getting another client, but that wasn't easy. I already had problems finding my first client.

So, I suggest not banning ISP's. I don't think it's necessary to ban them, since lots of people that doesn't understand why they are banned can't login. And people that really wants to login can still get around that ban. But those who don't know why they're banned the first time they try to login might just leave the forums and all just because they simply... yeah... don't know what's going on.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
I just couldn't find an easy guide about how to get it set.
What about this one?
It's way up at the top of the Site/IRC Support board.

Quote:
Anyhow, later I got explained to me that my ISP was banned. The solution would be getting another client, but that wasn't easy. I already had problems finding my first client.
That seems extremely unlikely since a new client doesn't get you a new ISP.

Quote:
So, I suggest not banning ISP's. I don't think it's necessary to ban them, since lots of people that doesn't understand why they are banned can't login. And people that really wants to login can still get around that ban. But those who don't know why they're banned the first time they try to login might just leave the forums and all just because they simply... yeah... don't know what's going on.
What about these posts?
Quote:
I have cleared the gline list for IRC. Welcome back.
Quote:
No one is being banned anymore, so I dont see why everyone is dwelling in the past.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 AM
subwoof

Quote:
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
Seems to me you're trying to make excuses to explain why the project is stalled.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smusatto View Post
k... I'll try breaking this down as simple as possible. I'm not referring to why this entire discussion thread was started in the first place. I'm referring to you saying I "sure do succeed in making the environment very unfriendly on the forums and on especially on IRC." I'm asking you to give examples(like you said you could) of how I've done that.
I looked through a bunch of the logs and I'll admit that you are not to blame for this situation. I suppose things get mixed up if you see a lot of banning taking place on IRC. At least it narrows that problem to one person. It would be cool if that could be fixed so that we can just continue being a normal community.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 AM

well.. i apologize for my english but isn't my mother language, maybe u can use an swg translator device to read what follows

My opinion is that you have an huge quantity of work to do, and you can't handle it of course due you also have a real life, but there is a lot of people here who are waiting for a stable version of the server, also is logical that if all we discuss here but only a few are on the swgemu staff the work is slowed down considerably..here comes my humble opinion:

In each huge work, you should create a TEAMWORK, due you deal with an huge quantity of work, so you should for a team of people who like swg and are of course skilled in it, this means that they have already played on old swg and/or they are skilled in programm language as well, but you won't more people on swgemu staff...

so here comes the 3 main point:

1) share your actual unstable server code to admins who like to host their swgemu server in the future, giving them the right directions about what they shall do to help you

2) each admin would set up a server and start a test server for their community so they could speed up swgemu giving feedbacks regarding each bug/opinion/ideas you need to continue your job properly

3) once you collect this data from those servers you'll have a lot of help and information to tweak the final stable release, also you can see who is skilled enought to help you directly developing the final stable server and could become an swgemu staff member to cooperate directly to you

Staying in irc or in a forum imho is not a good idea to improve swgemu, due lot of people have different aspectatives and/or minor/major suggestions, what to say also about trolls, flammers...and last but not least...actually all the whole work depends on you, and that's will slow the swgemu development

thats my 0,2 €
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
Seems to me you're trying to make excuses to explain why the project is stalled.
Seems to me you're having nothing useful to say.

Please be constructive.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: