SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:51 AM

I think part of the problem is that there is the thinking of that all members of the forum and community visit the IRC channels. I have gone to the IRC channels bot only while dinking around on stress tests. I just kind of assumed if things were being discussed on IRC they would make there way to the forums too. I guess not?

I can think of 2 main faults as to issues with the community.

1) Everyone who is interested playing a swg emu has above average computer knowlage.

2) People are interested and also versed in participating with IRC/mIRC.

If information is easy to access and easy to understand the more people will become interested.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2007, 03:17 AM

Props to Ramsey, Smusatto, and PhantomLeader for taking the high road and dealing with this thread in a mature manner.

You guys have my respect, it takes fortitude to listen to this sort of thing.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 AM

Thats good to hear, but i thought that we shouldnt ask too many questions about this emu, i thought leaving you guys alone so you can work in peace, was what you wanted, all i want is that you guys (devs) are happy in what you are doing.

i think the community is tired of waiting for the emu to come out (since human beings arent as patient as they should be) but i believe once the Emu is ready for beta, or is completed, the community will grow like a Mofo.

and can you devs check how many different IP's log into this site weekly or daily. i bet youll see a extremly higher number then that of the active forum users.

and about the IRC, each time ive logged in, i thought that i shouldnt ask you guys questions, (specially about the things im concerned about in this game) since they are more or less up to the guys hosting the server.

again, i wish you good luck with the emu, but dont worry about the community, we are all here. its just that we have more lurkers then posters.

Last edited by Ashur; 03-31-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 AM

First off, you guys have done a wonderful job on the emu project. As lot of people stated above, there is a level of intimidation new users get when they see a load of locked threads with questions that appear to be GOOD questions. So with that said, here's a few recommendations:

Delete locked threads to make the forums look appealing to new comers.

Revise your faq. Give a timeline (even if it's a loose time-frame and update it when needed) so that new users have a sense of what's to come.

Dont make IRC a must have to get the latest information on the emu. If you want the masses to come to you, understand that IRC chat is a dinosaur chat system that isnt easy for everyone to use.

and finally:

Who is going to want to join a community where its leaders put this crapola on the front page:

"This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu."

Making this community new-user friendly is they key my friend. Give us the tools and provide us with clear answers on the status of development and you will see your community thrive with little managment needed.

A donating member,

endless
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
No one is being banned anymore, so I dont see why everyone is dwelling in the past. we've changed heh, Im asking how we can improve, not bashing what went wrong before.

well except for thoughs that are really trying to get banned to prove that you haven't change.. when in fact there has been a big change for the better... I don't get why some people cant just play well with others lol

Last edited by QuiBonJen; 03-31-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:30 AM

Thank you for responding to our complaints about banning, and I just wish to say, I wasn't trying to pick on Ultyma. I was simply stating the problem as I saw it, I mentioned him in particular because there were obvious posts already on the forums that I could use to prove my point and that others, yourself included, could readily confirm. I understand the same questions are asked repeatedly, I get frustrated with nubs in all the online games I play, it's the way of the internet. I was simply saying that tolerance is in order, not that I hate anyone, just that I'd prefer to see someone say "I'm not going to dignify that with and answer" or "I've had enough of you, be gone" than "I wasn't talking to you, idiot!". Once again I thank you for addressing the issue, and I look forward to seeing how things go.

To move on to happier subjects, I keep up with the forums all I can, but I've only logged onto the TC once, because I'm not completely knowledgable about how things work. I personally eagerly await the implementation of JTL, it's the real reason I've always loved SWG, no other MMO can hang with that. Granted EVE has space, but it'll never compare with the control, customization and speed JTL brings to the table. I know most people are more concerned about ground combat, so I'll continue to wait patiently.

I have heard many ideas for space I like, Gosh mentioned creating new ship model, which I have to say is awesome, and I wish you much luck on that project. I'd like to maybe see the top speed cap raised for starfighter engines, and I really appreciated what was done to raise all of the elite POB component's stats last year (I think it was last year) in SWG. In short, as soon as I have space content to think about and comment on you won't be able to shut me up, until then I'm sure there are many other people who are more knowledgable and have a deeper love and appreciation for ground combat than I.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadec View Post
Nice, well I think half the problem is that whenever a new guy comes in and asks a question he gets the living poo flamed out of him. Do you really think that half the new people will read the sticked posts/threads/w.e...? ffs, i've seen some mods flame new people... that isn't very beneficial to the community either... just my two cents:mad:
QFE this sums this whole thing up.

When u did testing it at first select few, then it was opened up but how to get into the server was never explained properly and post said if you dont know how to do - dont ask...

You are now crossing over from developers to marketing, you want people to sign to the game and suggest, yet you havent shown the community that is gonna make all your hard work worth while some guidance.

Im not flaming you guys, just mearly advising to perhaps working on your marketing pitch and making things more accessiable to new posters or players in a friendly and almost "idiot guide" style.

After all - yes ur making the game we all loved but on flip side without us behind you all youve really done is learnt c++

in short time to get user and even idiot friendly..
Old 03-31-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlinemonk View Post
umm says 15k members on my screen sooo ya
your screen must be broken ...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your input Anakis.

So what I have gathered so far to improve is:
-bi monthly Q/A Sessions.
-Weekly updates.
-Advertisement of project.
-Lenient Moderation.
-Community participation in helping new members.
-Compilation of ways the community can help.

Keep the suggestions coming.
well, im not a game programmer,yet but im working on my degree. all the questions that people ask and it get answered. may a top line sticky and keep it up dated. make the title:

Questions from new players answered by staff and veteran posters!!

and maybe that will reduce the repeated question somewhat.

as far as flamming goes to the new player, hell i get flammed on a daily basis on the SOE's website, and not just from the players
Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I don't see why you guys are bashing Ultyma when he is the reason you have half the things on TC.
You are saying his accomplishments excuse abusiveness?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick3nWings View Post
You are saying his accomplishments excuse abusiveness?
This is one reason why u all have no community U let things happen that shouldnt. Not ever should no treat others like ulti does. I'm sure u all get asked the same ques. all the time isnt that what u all kinda signed up for when u took on this project. Get some people to be your lightning rods if u cant control yourselfs. U say u have changed. U cant change overnight it takes time to build up trust. U all have a uproad journey to undertake now that u have let the Vid screen bullies take over IRC and Forums. No one to blame but yourselfs.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 AM

If you have to ask....

There's something to be said about the current state of affairs if you have to basically command your users to produce meaningful feedback.

I'm with the camp that is overtly excited about playing Pre-CU, but is covertly weary over the developers lack of productive community relations and tact.

Yes programming is hard, yes it's time consuming, but it isn't ****ing Defcon 1 around here; when you people make this project seem like some secret black ops project, it's gets to be kind of discouraging to feel excited about it.

Devs, learn a lesson from other projects, especially ones from the open source community and other free software outlets.

Look at the Haiku OS project web-page, they are a perfect example of how to keep the community informed and interested. I have been involved in that community for over 6 years. I've watched it grow from just an idea into a stable alpha and soon a beta, and it was FUN to watch it grow, and that's my point, that the community COULD watch it grow, because the devs made it totally transparent and made every effort to SHOW us what they were doing and when, even if it was mundane or ubiquitous.

Make a chart, on the left list the major hurdles, on the top put Progress, and then have a bar 10 cells long, and then color in a cell every time the devs feel they've made an accomplishment in that area; EASY!

Get a clue; show us EXACTLY what we should be excited about at any given point along the line. THEN you'll have positive and excited feedback rolling on in, along with excited donors who know your not just jerking them off.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 AM

The progress bars for progress on the major components in the game sounds like an awesome idea. maby markers on it at staggered increments, starting wth not working, maby 5 as basics working and 10 very functional, 15 a few small bugs, 20 perfect. Perhaps somethin like that, shorter/longer, more points something to show how individual parts are coming along. Bars for the backend stuff you workon that is barely noticed when playing would be good too.

any sort of updates on a regular basis would be apreciated

/salute devs
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM

I'll tell this from the point of view of someone who never posts, I log on this website to check if there are any updates then get off, probably alot of people are like this. I'd get on IRC if I had my computer at the moment but I'm using a different one.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 AM

Yo, check this out...

How about something like THIS for the EMU?

http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status...order=priority

That is the dev-log or "TASK OVERVIEW" for the Haiku OS project I mentioned.

Everyone should look at this; we should get a vote thread going on this, someone get one up.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: