SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 AM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Bi-Weekly Update 4/17 - More crafting Love

Crafting Milestone Hit: Functioning Experimenting. As you can see from the video, the framework of virtually all crafting functions is finished.

So-- here's a new video demonstrating how crafting is progressing. It should be live on TC very soon. Give Kyle, Ritter and Link a pat on the back once again for doing such an awesome job on crafting!

Download [43.1mb]: REQUIRES QUICKTIME
http://swgemu.com/other/experimenting_mp4vid.zip
http://www.thewildclan.com/experimenting.mp4 (right click, save as)

or

3) Developer Perspective: ("Round Table")

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobius
Here's my "Round Table" post.

Since most of you don’t know me yet, I figured I’d use my first bi-weekly update to introduce myself a bit as well as let you know what I’ve been working on. I’m a 23 year old Software Engineer / IT Technician from New Orleans. I’m interested in the fields of Computer Security and Forensics and am possibly considering a career change into one of those fields. I first started playing Star Wars Galaxies, back in 2003, my freshmen year of college. It was actually the first MMO that I had ever played. I remember running around before mounts, wishing I could get XP for every virtual step. I remember when player cities were implemented and my roommate and I moved our guild to one of the first player cities on Radiant. I remember when the galactic civil war was in full swing, and that city became an Imperial Strong hold. Most of all though, I remember when SOE killed the game I loved. I remember when they screwed the economy with Veteran Rewards and anti-decay kits. I remember the travesty that was the CU and the death sentence that is the NGE.

I’ve been trolling around these forums and IRC off and on since the project first went open source with Core1, mostly observing and keeping quiet. Recently, with the open sourcing of Core3, I saw a change for the better, both in the community, and the developers. That’s why I decided to get involved. I’m looking forward to helping make SWG Pre CU a reality again.

You may notice some changes when you create a new character on the Test Center now. I’ve been working on that area in the last few weeks. When creating your character, you’ll notice that the random name generator now works properly. Names are also now filtered and will tell you if you’ve entered an improper name. When you load into the world for the first time your character will no longer spawn naked. You will already be trained in the novice profession you chose when creating your character. Your character’s HAM meters will also reflect those of your chosen profession, and after the next update, your starting items will reflect those proper to your chosen profession, species, and sex.

-Bobius
Quote:
Kyle's Blurb: So, I have pretty much focused exclusively on crafting for the last month or so, and it is paying off. Currently, like most people here, I am preparing for upcoming finals, and the "closure" of getting experimenting working should be enough to stop my obsession for long enough to get school work done.
Quote:
Ramsey:
I just updated the small heightmaps section in the closing, outlining our problem in a bit more detail. I am really looking forward to bringing the heightmap stuff to a close. Once we have heightmaps, a lot of things will fall into place. Structure placement (which I think is pretty much done besides the part that requires heightmaps) and smoother npc movement will be added in almost instantly after heightmaps. Exciting times are ahead!
4) Closing:

Crafting: As far as crafting goes, this leaves us closer to a live implementation. What is left is a lot of data entry for the rest of the schematics, and some refinement of the crafting code to make adding all the new objects smooth. Also, as you can probably see, equations need to be tweaked still, and are not in a finished state, so if anyone is very familiar with those equations, wants to help test (May involve tedious stuff) come and join #CraftingTesting. A special thanks to all those who have participated in my little projects in #CraftingTesting, it really has help me speed up the process. You guys are the best!

Heightmaps: This is an area that is holding us back in the area of NPC movement and structure placement at the moment. We know a number of ways to implement this, but are searching for an efficient alternative to the methods we already know. Currently, we will be able to generate a huge file with all the z values for every x/y coordinate pair, but the problem we have is being able to manage all that data in a sensible way (save memory, fast request time etc). Educated idea's on how to manage huge heightmaps are welcome.

So this week we'll have some more information from Ramsey concerning Heightmap development, and possibly several more tiny updates will be edited in to this post. Stay tuned!!

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide

Last edited by Ramsey; 04-18-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: How could we forget Link!?!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 AM

1st!! Outstanding... Can't wait.. crafting is NEEDED greatly! Keep up the fantastic job!!!

Last edited by Aedales; 04-17-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 AM

>.> nice
Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 AM

<3 kyle & ritter <3 crafting thanks for the hard work
Artisan, Droid Engineer, Architect, Armorsmith, Merchant, Chef, Medic, Doctor, Brawler, Pikeman, Teräs Käsi Artist, Creature Handler, Politician, Scout, Marksman, Bounty Hunter, Commando, Entertainer, Dancer, Musician, Image Designer, Jedi
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 AM
jermangin

lookin good.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

cool job kyle and welcome Bobius!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Inactive Developer

Hax!

No really, great Job Kyle. This is a huge step forward!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 AM

/pat Kyle on back
/pat Ritter on back

GREAT job guys!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-17-2008, 05:03 AM

good job guys
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 AM

/drools at the crafting video.

Bobius' Round Table post there brought tears to my eyes, remembering the day cities when live and rushing to plop our city hall down. That city you refered to didn't happen to be Kintan by chance? I don't know if we were the very first to be founded on Radiant, but definately was one of them
Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 AM

Beautiful work, both of you. I am so proud of the SWGEmu team.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 AM

Awesome guys, freaking awesome. Amazing your getting this kind of stuff done

Last edited by homebrew; 04-17-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 AM

woot awesome job guys!! keep up the good work.. at this pace we'll be experiencing Full Pre-Cu in no time!! Appreciate it guys!!

Only a Sith Deals in Absolutes, I'll Do what i must
Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 AM

/lick devs, awesome job guys, we all love you
Old 04-17-2008, 05:51 AM

This rocks. Awesome work as always guys.

!!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: