SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 AM

I didn't read this whole post the whole way through just the IRC Dev Chat that went on so forgive me if this issue has been brought up but I didn't want to read through 16 more pages of stuff to see if my opinion was all ready stated.

I do and I don't like the rubberbanding, I will state why I do like it and then why I don't.

I'll start off by saying I'm deployed to Iraq and anyone with internet deployed and trying to play the EMU will be able to understand. Internet sucks here like hardcore and we are lucky enough to be able to play.
The reason I see the rubberbanding good is because while I'm lagging and can't talk to Joe the Mon Calimari Doctor to get my 4XXX doctor training I get rubber banded back to the bank where I started so I know I have a little bit of a good idea of how bad I'm lagging.

The Reason I hate the rubber banding is because there are some people like me, given the example above leave Mos Eisley to go to a "Sampling Hot Spot" as I like to call them and Action heal all the people getting mineral samples or whatever they may be doing out there. I finally end up able to train and I go see the Doctor Trainer click on him 4 or 5 time to converse with him and then get rubber banded back to the camp I was just at. I lagged so bad that once my position finally showed up to the server they said oh your speed hacking lets rubber band you back to the last known spot you were at.

Just my two cents
Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 AM

Rubberbanding is a *****, but as Cor explained (which I'll re-state, since you're totally justified in not wanting to read 16 pages of garbage), the rubberbanding has to be on the server so the devs can see how it reacts to the lag, seeing it working on a laggy, occupied server is the only way they calibrate it so it'll actually work properly. So, knowing that it may help ease the frustration of having to deal with this bull****, knowing that every second we suffer through it, it gets us one second closer to them making a perfect rubberbanding anti-hack.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 AM

Yeah that makes sense and thanks for explaining what Cor had stated, I did happen to read your post just before mine and seeing as I only have 1 post to my name(Now two) I figured I'd help out a little bit on your statement of
"Still, I can't imagine it's that hard to go "We need to witness the rubberbanding in a laggy environment to fix it"
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzilcho21 View Post
Yeah that makes sense and thanks for explaining what Cor had stated, I did happen to read your post just before mine and seeing as I only have 1 post to my name(Now two) I figured I'd help out a little bit on your statement of
"Still, I can't imagine it's that hard to go "We need to witness the rubberbanding in a laggy environment to fix it"
lol yeah, I'm just gonna post that in every thread about rubberbanding. I mean, I do kind of blame the devs for that one, cuz it really isn't that hard to explain, yet in all the threads about rubberbanding, they never explained it. But neither here nor there, atleast it's known so yeah.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM

You know, it just strikes me as a very sad comment on humanity that we need this rule, this obviously rather annoying at the moment prevention system, and this descussion to start with. Especialy since there is nothing to win through cheating in this case except some bragging rights, which weren't earned anyway.

If your argument begins with the phrase "I don't think" please stop and do so before making it.

SgtMaj(ret) E'Mokho Aewi
Fate 10
Strike Force Justice
Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emokho View Post
You know, it just strikes me as a very sad comment on humanity that we need this rule, this obviously rather annoying at the moment prevention system, and this descussion to start with. Especialy since there is nothing to win through cheating in this case except some bragging rights, which weren't earned anyway.
Emokho wins.
Then answer this, are you just going to sit back and wait for someone else to defeat Brittania? Who? You think if you think if you wait, some day the right chance will just come? Don't be naive! If we don't stand up and do it ourselves that someday will never come!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

I've encountered a critical error when it comes to rubberbanding with this new patch. With the new patch, it seems that things on steeply gradiated terrain float at the highest point of that terrain, but stay in the xy coordinates of where they should be. This poses a problem for mission targets, but also if you log out on gradiated terrain, when you log back in you end up floating 100 or so meters in the air (that was due to the mountain I was on.) The game resets you to the ground (because that was built in in case something like this happened) but because my toon moved 100m in less than a second, the server naturally rubberbanded me back to my spot 100m in the air, keeping me stuck in a perpetual loop. (also, when you're in the air, you cannot move in any direction.)

**Upon logging out and logging in, I was stuck in the air still. However, the game used its reset ability and I was back on the ground. I closed my eyes and winced, but when I peeked back at the screen I was back on solid ground still, not looping with the rubberbanding. If anyone encounters the same problem I did my reccomendation is to log out and log back in if you find yourself in a critical rubber band loop.

Last edited by Naesen; 10-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 PM

tried that, im still flying as of my last login

GM of Clan Abyss, your friendly neighborhood Bounty Hunter PA on Darjani
"We hunt everything: Jedi to Rebels. Imperials to Commandos, Non-Coms to more Non-Coms...ESPECIALLY the Non-Coms"

http://www.darjani.org/
Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Retired Game Master

Hint: Go into IRC #swgemusupport. Request a GM summon you out of there.

Game MasterFONT=Arial]

[/FONT] SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

[19:31] <+stevedeath> I am currently being held hostage by an invisible force. He wants one million in US currency, and a plane to Havana. He calls himself: The Box.
<serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><s erpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa> </serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa>
Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 PM

eh why bother, i cant stand playing in this lag anyway and the server will more then likely go down and reset before its playable which should fix it.

GM of Clan Abyss, your friendly neighborhood Bounty Hunter PA on Darjani
"We hunt everything: Jedi to Rebels. Imperials to Commandos, Non-Coms to more Non-Coms...ESPECIALLY the Non-Coms"

http://www.darjani.org/
Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Noob here.. anyone think that maybe the DEVS want people to hack, so they can fight against said hack while it's in beta..
just food for thought..
Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadz View Post
Noob here.. anyone think that maybe the DEVS want people to hack, so they can fight against said hack while it's in beta..
just food for thought..

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Retired Game Master

This is not punishment. This is a piece of code that is being worked on. This game is in alpha. It will not always be this way.

Game MasterFONT=Arial]

[/FONT] SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

[19:31] <+stevedeath> I am currently being held hostage by an invisible force. He wants one million in US currency, and a plane to Havana. He calls himself: The Box.
<serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><s erpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa> </serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa>
Old 12-05-2009, 02:05 PM

How long is it going to take to collaborate? can we petition to get rid of this "anti-hack" strategy? It has so many false positives it hurts the community more than benefits it. My friend stopped playing because he was unaware of rb boxing and thought the game was just unbelievable laggy.
Almost everyday I log on I am boxed in and spend the majority of my time doing the shuttleport trick. Being a player who does not have a lot of time, this is very frustrating because I do not have 3 or 4 hours to spend playing, maybe an hour and 20 minutes of it is spent unboxing my characters...
I logged in a cave and logged in yesterday and not to my surprise, I was rubber band boxed! Its going to probably take 40 minutes for me to just get to the nearest shuttleport...
On the bright side there is one trick I don't think has been mentioned is hitting your auto-run key and then alt-tabbing out of the game. You can't see where you are going obviously but it seems to help me walk to a shuttleport faster.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busboybud View Post
How long is it going to take to collaborate? can we petition to get rid of this "anti-hack" strategy? It has so many false positives it hurts the community more than benefits it. My friend stopped playing because he was unaware of rb boxing and thought the game was just unbelievable laggy.
Almost everyday I log on I am boxed in and spend the majority of my time doing the shuttleport trick. Being a player who does not have a lot of time, this is very frustrating because I do not have 3 or 4 hours to spend playing, maybe an hour and 20 minutes of it is spent unboxing my characters...
I logged in a cave and logged in yesterday and not to my surprise, I was rubber band boxed! Its going to probably take 40 minutes for me to just get to the nearest shuttleport...
On the bright side there is one trick I don't think has been mentioned is hitting your auto-run key and then alt-tabbing out of the game. You can't see where you are going obviously but it seems to help me walk to a shuttleport faster.
Obviously it's frustrating; no one's going to deny that. If you want to play though, that's what you have to deal with right now. It's pretty much that simple.

It might sound like a "Tough. Live with it." response, but there's nothing else anyone can give you. It's not really a matter of making petitions; we, as a community, just have to give the Devs time to sort through it all and if that takes longer than most can handle, then so be it - they can return when news comes that it is fixed.

Also, in the coming month, take note of this Bi-Weekly Update, especially the part about staff availability:

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38088

"The staff wants to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season over the next month.

With the holidays looming, many staff will be taking time off to spend time with family and friends. Please be aware that staff will not be as available as we normally are during other months of the year. Responses to emails, postings and other issues may be slow."

But hey, also on the bright side, there's quite a lot we can do with the environment we've got, so make the best of it, eh.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: