SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
I believe all the fame and glory will go to whoever completes it better. It doesn't matter who makes the first emulator, it matters who makes the better one.

I don't give a crap who makes it first. I'd rather see the teams work together to get the emu out there sooner and better, rather then have everyone waving their e-peens around, stealing code, *****ing about stolen code, etc, just because they want to be the first team to make the emulator.
QFT

Anyone here play ultima online on an emulated server? The SphereServer team came out with the first emulator, and theirs is now considered garbage when compared to RunUO which is fast, stable, reliable, and open source.

Nobody goes "Oh man, yeah RunUO is sick, but MAN, those Sphere guys are teh l33t cause they got it out first"
Old 04-08-2007, 09:28 PM

Actually it was Circonian who created the first UO emulator back in 98 I believe. Sphere came out not to long after. Either Shardwire or UOX3 have a timeline of UO emulation history.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 AM

I thought that TUSworld/Grayworld was the first UO emulator?

I dunno, my mistake, but thank you for proving my point
Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 AM

I misspelled his name, its Cironian he made the first public emulator.

Here's UO Emulator history http://www.uox3.org/history/timeline.shtml Theres some interesting stuff there.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by na85 View Post
QFT
Nobody goes "Oh man, yeah RunUO is sick, but MAN, those Sphere guys are teh l33t cause they got it out first"
lol you sound like some black guy i know...

anyway i dont post because i play too many MMO's

Id rather post on those forums than here because tbh... My post are just troling and i dont really care about emu that much. im 15, so ive got no "good Ideas", im too lazy to do whatever needs doing and... yeah i cbb

Last edited by yomokita; 04-10-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 AM

I think more people would post if/when:
1.) the site is better organized -- get the equivalent of a dedicated community manager to clean up threads and stickies because it is difficult to figure out what is going on.
2.) the site is better moderated -- the flaming gets out of hand very quickly and should be handled by a dedicated group of mods/mini-mods that are different from the communty manager responsibilities.
3.) the team gets close to release -- right now we're just spectators without much control, watching a team of dedicated volunteers pour time into this project without much reward.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkz View Post
ROFL

Oh and yeah. The Team that gets all the Fame and Glory is the Team that listens to its community. Or do you forget why you left SWG in the first place lol.
Think about it, the first to release a emulator will obviously get the most interest out of the community. I mean you have to face a few things here, the majority of people working on the "Other" team, once worked right here, they were the ones that REALLY got the SWGEmu team pushed into speed. I'm sure we all remembered when Xeno and Snow abruptly took off, and some of us have no idea why that even happened, and now look.. they're part of a 12+ team, who knows.. Ant could even be working on that specific core. SWGEmu, here's a clue, whatever you did in the past.. seriously.. don't do it again. Recruit some more coders, and treat them with more respect and you just might pull through with a better server, as far as I see it now.. there's a really big handful of high quality coders working on this "Other" Emu. You better work fast or get better with the updates, because what that other team has released is more than you have. You guys know what you need to do to increase traffic around here, I suggest you get on it if you really want to get the community started.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiox View Post
Think about it, the first to release a emulator will obviously get the most interest out of the community. I mean you have to face a few things here, the majority of people working on the "Other" team, once worked right here, they were the ones that REALLY got the SWGEmu team pushed into speed. I'm sure we all remembered when Xeno and Snow abruptly took off, and some of us have no idea why that even happened, and now look.. they're part of a 12+ team, who knows.. Ant could even be working on that specific core. SWGEmu, here's a clue, whatever you did in the past.. seriously.. don't do it again. Recruit some more coders, and treat them with more respect and you just might pull through with a better server, as far as I see it now.. there's a really big handful of high quality coders working on this "Other" Emu. You better work fast or get better with the updates, because what that other team has released is more than you have. You guys know what you need to do to increase traffic around here, I suggest you get on it if you really want to get the community started.
I agree. Its all about communication. When Xeno was on the old forums, he was very much a nice guy in relation to the community. He cancelled a ban I had received for merely pointing out certain facts, and listened to the community. People will have more faith in a team with good community skills. At the end of the day though, the best working emulator will be the one adopted by the community. Theres no two ways about it. If swgemu is the best, then everyone will use it, if the "other" emu is, then that will be most popular. But if you want support from the community, the easiest way to get this is through good communication. Be it in updates, or discussions, although most fundamentally important is being nice to the community and helping new members instead of creating an atmosphere of "1337" ness whereby all new members are demeaned as "n00bs" for being ignorant of the project. The very langauge of 1337 really gives the project a bad and unprofessional look, and the fact that people feel that the easiest way to win brownie points with the devs is by flaming new members really detracts from my personal interest in posting or trying to help out. Just my thoughts, take them as you will.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM

One way to attract new members is by visiting devs of other emulation communities not to take them from their main hobby but get their interest in your community. They may not be full devs but they can still add a little code here and there from time to time which really adds up.

You are getting some news exposure. I've started up an emulation news site called Wolflore not too long ago. Shardwire still has links and some info even though its nearly dead and Emulation Resource is reporting news from here.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyden View Post
I agree. Its all about communication. When Xeno was on the old forums, he was very much a nice guy in relation to the community. He cancelled a ban I had received for merely pointing out certain facts, and listened to the community. People will have more faith in a team with good community skills. At the end of the day though, the best working emulator will be the one adopted by the community. Theres no two ways about it. If swgemu is the best, then everyone will use it, if the "other" emu is, then that will be most popular. But if you want support from the community, the easiest way to get this is through good communication. Be it in updates, or discussions, although most fundamentally important is being nice to the community and helping new members instead of creating an atmosphere of "1337" ness whereby all new members are demeaned as "n00bs" for being ignorant of the project. The very langauge of 1337 really gives the project a bad and unprofessional look, and the fact that people feel that the easiest way to win brownie points with the devs is by flaming new members really detracts from my personal interest in posting or trying to help out. Just my thoughts, take them as you will.
This is well said, communication from the Devs is a very important aspect in any community. Also from the community it-self if we can work together we can create a great invirement for people to join our Emulator and to enjoy posting and being part of this great experience once again. But I can also state that in the near future once the Emulator is released our active members and community will jump 10 fold.

"MÃy God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General Patton -*
Closed Thread