SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 AM

Think I read this thread the wrong way. Sorry about that, and thanks for the valuable information I did gain.

I know a few of the guys at "Future Publishing", will mention this to them, see if there is any interest. Can't promise anything, but will put it out there
Old 03-30-2007, 12:45 AM

In terms of Future Server Ideas and related issues, the Future Server Ideas forum is too broad a topic. For example we have several threads on new Jedi ideas that get buried under other unrelated topics.

Simply put, I'm saying it might help to make multiple forums on profession specific topics, player housing, gameplay mechanics, crafting, etc. (like the old SOE forums) to help keep ideas together. Having a forum for every single profession may be spreading too thin, but as the community grows the more useful it will.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 AM

I'm the same way, I've been avidly following this project since I first heard ages ago, after I quit the NGE around a month after release. I keep track of updates and such on the site, and have been on IRC a total of one time. It just wasn't informative enough. I also wasn't a member for some time simply because I'm lazy like that ><. This is my second post in all this time, not that I think I'll sound stupid and get flamed, but because mostly anything I have to say has already been said. I would love the q&a sessions though, great idea.

Last edited by Ender; 03-30-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 AM

Ramsey,

Maybe there could be some in game events to promote testing. We have a semi-playable game at present time so instead of calling it a stress test, add in the most recent thing you have worked on and post a thread here with a date and time to have an in game party to test the new stuff. It will spark interest and give us all something to discuss. Sometimes a "stress test" is not enough to capture the attention of people.
Mal (to Kaylee): Is he ok?
A good script...priceless!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:52 AM

why don't you delegate a community relations person to just deal with the questions and suggestions to help keep people from annoying you Dev's and they can also serve the purpose of filtering out the bad ideas. This person would require a lot of patience and a good idea of what will help the game and what will not.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iovid View Post
why don't you delegate a community relations person to just deal with the questions and suggestions to help keep people from annoying you Dev's and they can also serve the purpose of filtering out the bad ideas. This person would require a lot of patience and a good idea of what will help the game and what will not.
that's a good idea, but I don't think simply one person should filter out the ideas, most ideas should at least have some chance. We're not playing this community relation's person's game, we're playing our game. Most if not all ideas should at least be thought out, but for questions and such that's a good idea.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
that's a good idea, but I don't think simply one person should filter out the ideas, most ideas should at least have some chance. We're not playing this community relation's person's game, we're playing our game. Most if not all ideas should at least be thought out, but for questions and such that's a good idea.
Maybe I should have worded that differently. What I was trying to say was more along the lines of filtering repetitive questions and passing ideas on to the Developers in a more efficient manner.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iovid View Post
Maybe I should have worded that differently. What I was trying to say was more along the lines of filtering repetitive questions and passing ideas on to the Developers in a more efficient manner.
ahhh gotcha. yeah, definitely a good idea.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 AM

536 views and 37 responses. Lets go guys, Ramsey is trying to get some feedback, so give him some.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Unfortunately that isn't going to work out, as great as it sounds. Problem is new people don't know the difference between a community relations person and a "Developer". It would also be hard to educate a community relations person when he/she isn't in the actual development process, which is why having a developer post updates and answer questions (mabye 1 hr a day) is a much more effective way.

Our moderators take part in other aspects of development, and I think they can do a good job in answering development questions during moderation.

Yes thank you for your input, please post more!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:23 AM

As for advertisements...I've seen a couple people end ALL of their YouTube videos with "Support SWGEmu.com"... I think this is a simple but effective way of sparking random interest.

What ever happened to the Wikipedia article? Are they still 'dictating' that SWGEmu is illegal and non-viable?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:27 AM

I see your point and I think your idea would work better under the circumstances.

This may be off topic slightly but the frustration you are having right now is somewhat similar to frustration I experienced helping to manage a guild in SWG. We all got along great, for the most part, but getting people to volunteer to help one another was extremely frustrating and it overwhelmed me having so much of a workload and eventually burned me out. The helpful people were extremely helpful and they got taken advantage of while others never even spoke in guildchat.

I don't know what to suggest you add to NPC's really without suggesting that you add in a bunch of code that may not even improve the game for anything more then cosmetics but if someone else makes a decent suggestion it may spark some inspiration.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:27 AM

I think a lot of people are scared to post and just pop around for updates of sorts. A lot of people are watching this project, the forum numbers are just a portion. Many are discouraged because it's relatively slow even though you guys have a lot of good things at your end.

And nobody wants to get flamed or banned for saying the wrong thing. You pointed out, "This community is doing a piss poor job..." but I think it takes two to tango, don't shift this all on us... We're all going to have to dance to the same tune here.

On the front page, you should make a simple box that doesn't have to be in sync with the server but just have a mod update it saying when the server is up and asking people to come on to talk and hang out. I think that'll help getting people online.

Last edited by Geral; 03-30-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolvedDemon View Post
As for advertisements...I've seen a couple people end ALL of their YouTube videos with "Support SWGEmu.com"... I think this is a simple but effective way of sparking random interest.

What ever happened to the Wikipedia article? Are they still 'dictating' that SWGEmu is illegal and non-viable?
**simulated conversation**

how do you respond to those who say that SWGEmu may not make it to completion?

It will be completed

For a follow up question... do you know that you are using copyrighted information without permission?

That is an outright lie!

(Nice footnote in several legal systems a condition made know post sale is illegal and not binding)

Well back to the topic at hand....

I agree about the orginzation of topics under subheading to make it simpler to find and add things to.

Last edited by JDM4000; 03-30-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:41 AM

Thinking about why we are here. We all love this game right, no doubts there. Am sure by that token is not just that game we love, but many games, if not games in general.

So lets play some!

Looking at the Chimaera server site, they got an arcade there, just basic stuff like tetris and breakout, but hey it's something, get high scores posted on the site, get the competitiveness in us going, get the gamers in us going. Am sure there must be potential to get at least two player vs, games, and how about (dunno if this is viable at all), something like a snes emu ... you know bit of street fighter two action or iss, or something

Anyone know about possibilities with this kinda thing?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: