SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post

As for getting more things on core3,
Smusatto suggested having "themed" stress test events which I think is a GREAT idea to promote participation in tests, as well as demo technology.
That would be amazing,
Also the monthly Q/A and updates, i think people would love this, also it would limit the amount of threads asking "whats going on now"
Great ideas guys.
<3 Ramsey.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:58 AM

I've never played the game but I have some ideas since your asking...

It'd be cool to see NPC's that could follow a waypoint, get into a space ship, and fly.

NPC's that can gamble and affect the economy might be handy for mods.

Placeable traps placed by the server admins might be good.

Model support for mods, so you could see new races, weapons, sabers, maybe custom saber hilts.

It'd be cool too if the client could be modded for player cosmetic only mods.

And color slider bars for all graphics, so mods could easily re-stat and re-color and rename monsters and armour and stuff.

A damage slider might be good too...

Just some ideas, thanks for listening.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadec View Post
Nice, well I think half the problem is that whenever a new guy comes in and asks a question he gets the living poo flamed out of him. Do you really think that half the new people will read the sticked posts/threads/w.e...? ffs, i've seen some mods flame new people... that isn't very beneficial to the community either... just my two cents:mad:
agree'd
Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 AM

A few thoughts.

1. Advertising - why not set up a team on World Community Grid? Currently if we had 1,000 members we would do quite respectably on the team rankings. This isn't a huge amount of publicity, but it's relatively easy and it's also, you know, a good thing to do.

2. Legal issues - I can see why legal discussions would be annoying, but it would be reassuring for a lot of us if we knew that you had some legal advice. I bet there are lawyers in the community who could help out. Again, it's not that I want to discuss legal issues. I just want to know that you have some good legal advice. No offense, but the legal reasoning that occasionally pops up on the forums is far from ironclad.
[I am a law student, but I don't feel qualified to advise you, and anyway I haven't passed the bar yet]
Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 AM

Maybe...

Maybe we can make a group that can help you guys to answer questions on a channel on irc or something, or a new forum section for asking questions to the community or something?

You devs get loads of questions that you have answered hundred times and so on, its not easy to lead a "huge" community, been there myself =/
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 AM

I've been helping people for the past few weeks in the swgemu support forum and doing a decent job and suddenly I was banned for a week for just replying to a thread where the guy was talking about the trial. So you think people aren't afraid of getting banned? I wasn't expecting it, yeah I know your not supposed to discuss the trial but I didn't make the thread about it, was just answering the guys question...I can see a lock on the thread and a please don't discuss the trial AT ALL. Am I afraid I'm going to be banned again just for mentioning it? Yeah. So thats why people aren't saying much, fear of being banned or their just sick of the morons that talk like 8 yr olds on irc. I've told a ton of people about the emu and they are all excited but don't post because they would just rather avoid the flaming from asking a question or being banned.
Helius
Master Doc/Swords
Guild Leader

Last edited by Iocco7015; 03-30-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 AM

i got 3 ppl joining emu. they have a sour taste in there mouth though
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM

I can't see how the IRC issues can be fixed. Discussion will always lead to debate.. and unfortunately people can't take criticsm postively when it is needed. In regards to flaming.. I've had my fair share (though usually I get someone PM'img me with the answer and an appology for others.. which I do for others if I happen to know the answer).

I think there are more "active" members in terms of people joining IRC and reading the forums, then has gone noticed. Once again though, there should be penalty (or some form of warning, reprimand, etc) for those who flame others. It's a lot easier, and takes much less time (as in NONE) to just move to the next post, then it is to flame someone. Clearly you can't control "people" (being a public forum), but it would be nice to see MODS reinforcing flamers (<-if you are thinking of the other flamers.. don't go there.. haha).

As mentioned, a good solution is a "NEWB" section in the forums. I've beta tested a few games now, and they usually have some form of "NEWB" section for people to ask just about anything with out fear of getting a "don't you read", etc. post. I'd be willing to be more active on the forums if things opened up (in terms of the sometimes "dangerous" forum environment) and point people to the post they are looking for or give them information. Would certainly help if Devs said hello now and then to members they don't know.. might meet some very helpful people, who may have been insulted otherwise.

As for ideas. I have plenty myself. I wasn't aware that our opinion was needed at this point. I plan to compile a list of "tidbits" as soon as I get some time (next week or so), now that I have that information.

I am an AI programmer. I do program in C++, in the past generally algorithm programming for ACM type stuff. Recently I've been working with TCP network streams.. mainly building client-sever progs for stuff to do with school. I just started to get into hardware (not so much architecture, since I've been into that on and off for some time, but more programming of) and I've asked some strange questions about stuff on IRC.. to which I was blown off. Almost makes me regret asking some of the questions. The reason I'm mentioning this, is because I've personally offered to help with whatever.. if it's just.. hey Pope.. take a look at this.. I have a lot of connections within the University as well.. and I've posted about the EMU on our personal forums.. I've stated that it is possible for me to get others to help out here and there as well. it would be nice to be acknowledged one day, regardless of being needed.. thank you Pope.. instead of being ignored.?.

Anyways.. with all this being said, and assuming you read this far.. I'm impressed with Ramsey's post. I'm here a few times a day.. and never realized that we were valued as a community.

*NOTE: didn't proof read my post due to time constraint.. sorry for any errors*
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 AM

Well what i would like done with scriptable npcs is. 1st off space combat quests need some creativity like docking with stations and ships and some non repedetive oh no there is another fleet coming each 5 minuits ....that is all lol. as for ground npcs. I think pirates should raid every planet in random locations(including in space maybe with imperial space area checks and on the ground) much like the storm trooper landing in the shuttle(Me myself REALLY enjoyed the sand warrior raid on tatooine, Challenging yet really fun). Other than npc raiding us we can add some other unique scrips including npc bounty hunters which search for jedi/sith/rebels on a regular basis. Or even with this idea we could add bountys on anyone cept your own faction and if the price is high enough npc bounty hunters come for you, if keep failing,heat score increased and player bounty hunters could take the mission aswell and so on. One more thing i could think of on the top of my head would be the battlefields. We should implement possibly larger battlefields and actually have them work. But 1st we need to decide what type of gameplay it will be like, including the scriped npcs you get to control and fight (which could be an idea for space aswell where you get control of space npcs). Anyhow much of you dont know how they used to work. 1st you enter the field and when the 1st person enters it has a like 5-10 minuit start time depending on if its a player battlefield(should only start when a player cap is reached like 4vs4 something like that) or purely vs npc. Once your in you start building your army(which i think should include an at at npcs, rebel hover tanks etc etc and rocket troopers to counter vehicals, flame throwers to counter infantry different types of laser towers etc etc Alot of creativity and potential in the battlefield controllable npcs. So once the timer is done both sides are ready for battle and it begins.At this point there should be a base HQ to destroy with alot of armer, Vehical factory and trooper factory maybe a wall builder function to build a parimeter that can be also destroyed. Once all your buildings are destroyed or all human players the battle is won or lost.

Last edited by Paul Atreides; 03-30-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=Ramsey;43997]NOTE:

I have put my time into this and I hope you guys read my responses to your questions. I am trying to spur discussion about how we can improve. Please read!

What do you think the SWGEmu staff can do to better deal with new people or a flow of like 100 questions a day?

Get more mods

While the guys and gals that you've got now have been doing a pretty good job only having a small number of community mods to handle the posts, flames and suggestion of 8k-15k people well, is overwhelming and way to much for them to try and manage. And thank you for saying the community is doing a piss poor job. Many that have been loyal for well over a year, sent supportive pm's and emails really appreciate that. That's the wrong thing to say to your community Ramsey. While some may have a piss poor attitude you can't lump the group together as a whole. Don't blame the community if the project is having problems. All we can do is give feedback and test. The project will only fail if the leaders of the project fail.

Hoping all that did not come off as a flame but alot of us have been very passionate about this project and stood by your team. We held together through the Joker incident, through the Snow crap that delayed the project and through the fight with Xeno. It's insulting and i've just about had enough of it. If you want a better community you have to treat them better. The ban threats have started popping up again for multiple issues, boy if this isn't a replay of some things. If you had more mods watching the boards more of the time that crap with that other crappy emu wouldn't have been a issue. Not that there's any validity to their screenshots other than they are screenshots.

Respect your community because they are your failure or success.

Thank you for your time, hard work and patience. This community appreciates what you have done for us and for the emu. I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
ok that's it, im gonna be honest...i honestly think if all the developers are going to do is whine that ppl arent talking about this, THEN GIVE US MORE TO TALK ABOUT!!! even the lil things! the last update i saw (apart from another one trying to get ppl into IRC) was about 2 months ago! SO STOP *****ING!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPE View Post
it would be nice to be acknowledged one day, regardless of being needed.. thank you Pope..
i recognize you pope. : D
Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogran View Post
ok that's it, im gonna be honest...i honestly think if all the developers are going to do is whine that ppl arent talking about this, THEN GIVE US MORE TO TALK ABOUT!!! even the lil things! the last update i saw (apart from another one trying to get ppl into IRC) was about 2 months ago! SO STOP *****ING!!!
They have been feeding us updates. They are still working on the Core and have told us what they will be adding and working on down the road. Mayeb it's not what you want, but it's what we got. No need to be rude.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM

You can do a few things like run a cafepress contest to promote the hard work u devs are doing and your website addy and a few other things. T-shirts and other items they provide in the schools and work places would help get the word of mouth going.

In the past i have looked up much of the info i have needed. But from time to time even tho i ask a ques. get responses that are really uncalled for. All these hardcore flamers need to be stopped. Then i'm sure u will have people with RL xp in the area's u need advise in like advertising will be happy to help. The way things are run now it kinda feels like the teenagers have control or at the least young adults that have no RL xp other then sitting in front of a computer all day flaming people cause they got picked on in school or something and its the only way they can fight back. Sorry if i offended anyone but this Vid screen bully crap has to stop. Otherwise this is prolly going to fail.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 AM

Apart from the generally accepted ideas (more frequent/regular updates, etc.), someone mentioned a reorganization of the Future Server Ideas forum, which has sort of been attempted in the stickied "condensed ideas" thread. Creating a sub-forum for different general topics (e.g. subforum for new feature recommendations such the weapon/armor threads, another subforum for "things that people want to change/fix" like the balanced buffs or broken classes or insane DoTs, and another one for Jedi.... cuz there are waaay too many Jedi threads, lol) would be very helpful, I think

Also, just to comment on the server forum that was taken down, I think the idea that was suggested here wasn't so much for people to be posting in the various server threads or starting up communities, but maybe for each server to post what it would be doing (like village vs hologrind, balanced buffs vs. unchanged buffs, etc.) I dunno, I never got around to checking out the server forum before it was taken down, so I don't know what it was like

Last edited by Kothliim; 03-30-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: