SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Client Developer
Developer

SWGEmu Client Development Team

Hey, I'm DavinFelth, Lead Client Developer and I'm going to tell you a little bit about our aims for the Client Dev team, what we're here for and a few of the things our team has worked on already.

Well first off, I'd say we're like a feature implementation team, alot of the ideas and feature suggestions that can be seen coming out of this site and other sites requires alot of clientside implementation, usually even more than server implementation, our aim is to make features that can be applied to any server that may want them, rather than get our wonderful server devs (:P) to take time out of coding a stable and pre-cu feature rich server to make additional features we've assembled a team of some of the finest SWG client modders this side of uhh... anywhere! *Head grows in size* and we're still on the lookout for more! We can be a bit eccentric but we're all very passionate about the game and about what we do, we love to see the effects of our work ingame and this is even better because we may even get to see other people's reactions!

Anyway, without further ado, here's the rundown of our team with a little blurb from each of us, you can see some examples of projects further down the page:

The Team
DavinFelth (That's me):
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinFelth
Well, I've been playing SWG since pre-cu, can't remember the exact date, I wasn't one of those fancy day one/two people but I wasn't far off :P in pre-cu I played Ranger/Rifleman and loved every minute of it, then when the CU hit I decided to change it up abit with a pistoleer/smuggler combo (Stopping shot ftw!) all the way up to NGE and we all know what happened there, played on Eclipse by the way but I was abit too small time to be noticed Been modding since not long after I started the game I think, back in the days when we only had insideSWG to help us out which I know Uli remembers too

I personally love working on terrain and worldbuilding and I've recently been working on adding a new instance, adding a sandbox style kashyyyk and I'm also working on some additional interface features. Oh and of course Taanab

Uli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli
Hey all, so I'm Uli started playing SWG offically at the start of 2004, i was in one of the beta's, PreCU I was playing as Mswords/Mdoc then later in CU I became Mpistols/Msquadleader. I started modding a few months after 2004 when i first used InsideSWG and started to move onto more tools such as SWGExplorer.

Projects I been working on recently are, beta interface, new species, vehicles and currently experimenting with new skills and professions.

Aobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aobo
Hi, I'm Aobo, played SWG on euro-infinity since late in Pre-CU where I started on the path to armorsmith, then continued with that into the CU, I'm a lover of JTL and still often play NGE soley for that reason (so sue me :-) ) I have quite abit of experience with modding the client been doing it for awhile and not only with SWG, done modding on a few other games to, I'm not working on anything at the moment but I'm always open to suggestions so until I have a project to work on I'll be doing bits and bobs :-)

DrFeelgood
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Hi, I'm DrFeelgood. I started playing SWG on Flurry back when it was first released. (I pre-ordered, so yes, I'm one of those day 1-2 people :P) I was a creature handler most of precu/cu and I stuck with the NGE for awhile just to play JTL. I've been with swgmods.org (formally swgemods.com) since it's creation in July 2006 and with modsource before that, so I'm very experienced in the field of modding swg. My current goals, with the project in the state it is in currently, are to import new weapon/vehicle/ship/etc models (from CU and on)into pre-cu and as we get more tools expand that to things like world building, custom models, and much more.

Project Information
Here's some info on some of the stuff we're working on at the moment!

Sandbox Kashyyyk
Developed from a husk of ugly looking terrain in the RotW patch I've started to develop it into a usable kash that we can all enjoy, of course that's not to say we wont still be working on finding a way to get the Kashyyyk we all know from CU into the Pre-CU client without it being some flat land :P

Some features of the terrain, in the swampy areas of the planet:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0048.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0047.jpg

Kachiro's great tree!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0042.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0043.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0046.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enShot0045.jpg

Looking at the last one you can see some gaps in the tree, it's easily fixable, just not done it yet :P

Podracers
Who wants to race around the Mos Espa track in a real podracer? Well, now thanks to Uli, you can! With increased speed (not viewable in the video) you'll be able to relive the moments of Sebulba as he attempts to thrash Anakin Skywalker (or more precisley relive the moments of Gasgano and Mawhonical :P) and set some record times on those tracks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192Q34k_Zzg

New Species
Remember those tentacled guys from the Prequels? Nautolans! Well perhaps coming your way is the ability to start as a Nautolan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl4GiyzAbZ0

Or Perhaps Bith tickles your fancy? :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb27ZjTfwsA

The Future
Well, I'll be trying my best to attend the Q&A this sunday to answer any questions I can so if you want to know anything that'll be a good time In the slightly longer run we'll be looking at the various tools that are being released, although the ability to add buildings to planets already exists (as you can see in the kashyyyk screens) this will be made alot easier by Sytner's WS Editor and also we'll hopefully have our lives made easier by some other tools we're going to bully him into making (But I haven't told him that yet :P) We've also got Kyle's CRC tool which again makes things easier, especially in adding items to the game only normally found in future patches I don't want to say we'll be bullying him for tools incase we get attacked by the crafters :P .

Also In the hopefully not too distant future, when the tools become availible to make ingame models we'll be looking for some people to work on modelling and textures for us so look out for that, we've also already got lots of unannounced features in the pipeline, some we've started work on, some we haven't but I don't think you're going to be disappointed, even if you're one of those people who want Pre-CU and nothing else we're going to aim to change your ways when you see some of our projects! So stay tuned and keep helping out on Test Center!

- Davin and the team

Last edited by DavinFelth; 06-02-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added DrFeelgood's info
Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

First!

And, I'm really excited to see this happening. There's so much cool stuff that can be put in to enhance pre-cu. It's important to say that this will ALL be stuff that is optional for people. The goal is still to emulate pre-cu. These are just some bells and whistles for the people who want them.

Welcome to the team guys
Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM

second, awesoem job

I can see into your deepest thoughts.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

<3 the Mod team

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide
Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Great job on the mods guys!

I thought this was an announcement about an open source client. Does anybody know if anyone is working on such? Considering the prevalence of open source 3D engines and the fact that the asset files are standard images and models, it should be doable.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Location: In your browser, eating your cookies. (Dundee, Scotland, UK)
Its going to be fun to working on new content for the game
Old 06-01-2008, 12:49 PM

whoa you guys rock! :P
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 PM

sexeh
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

it is very sexeh
Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Nice Job everyone!

Just don't let Uli annoy ya too much... :P

Saber Trails Enhanced Mod | SWGEmu YouTube Videos
Maximus | Mona | Mau
<DOOM>
Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 PM

anybody else having trouble with the Veoh player? I can't get it to play anything, first couple seconds run and then it just stops....these vids on youtube?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

We're reuploading the videos to YouTube as I type this..
Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaseme View Post
We're reuploading the videos to YouTube as I type this..
Awesome, thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:05 PM

This update to me means just as much or even more than just any regular update, maybe even more so than crafting.

Because when all is said and done, all the features are in, we will have the old Pre-Cu. The problem with that is that we have done it all already and there won't be that new experience that we all will year for. This will all be seamless because servers can simply require that people download their files before playing, as I am assured all the large ones will have custom launchers.

What these guys are doing is what really is going to attract people back to Pre-Cu to play again. New planets, podracing, new species, new terrains the possibilities are endless. And when people hear about new features being added to their age-old game they will come back in droves to not only live the experience again, but to continue where they left off.

Once again, thank you guys I am greatly looking forward to your updates.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Retired Game Master

Great job team. Everything looked awesome.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: