SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Hmm,

I don't see why you guys are bashing Ultyma when he is the reason you have half the things on TC. Sure he gets ticked off, but look at the reasons why. He gets asked the same questions over and over, and gets blamed for being impaitent when people send him "**** you's". Can you imagine how he feels about doing this project?

Ultyma is part of SWGEmu, so if there is a problem you blame SWGEmu.

Now, as I said, the ban policy has changed and I have asked ultyma as well as stated here that this community thing is MY responsibility. Don't point your fingers because its easy. You tell me that its ultyma's fault, nothing will get done because the ban problem has been fixed when I made this post.

I hope you guys know he reads these threads and is keeping quiet while you blow away at him.

I am asking for constructive ways to improve this project, not dwell in the past with "ultyma this, ultyma that". No one is being banned right now anyway, so I dont see what the problem is anymore.
i think everyone knows that Ultyma is a huge reason we have what we have but people still do not deserve to be mistreated. no one likes to have someone be rude to them. but you asked the questions and we gave the answers. all the things that Ultyma has done for the project does not give him the right to ignore the basic respect due to everyone. there are alot of server forums demonstrating great unity and getting great support because people feel wanted and respected there. Yes i can imagine everyday having to deal with the fact that you will never make everyone happy, no matter what you do. and that no one appreciates your effort but if he looks deeper he will find that is not the case everyone loves Ultymas dedication, effort and work he puts in its just his attitude people dont like. they are two seperate things.

Last edited by Naveed; 03-30-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I don't see why you guys are bashing Ultyma when he is the reason you have half the things on TC.
You are saying his accomplishments excuse abusiveness?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick3nWings View Post
You are saying his accomplishments excuse abusiveness?
This is one reason why u all have no community U let things happen that shouldnt. Not ever should no treat others like ulti does. I'm sure u all get asked the same ques. all the time isnt that what u all kinda signed up for when u took on this project. Get some people to be your lightning rods if u cant control yourselfs. U say u have changed. U cant change overnight it takes time to build up trust. U all have a uproad journey to undertake now that u have let the Vid screen bullies take over IRC and Forums. No one to blame but yourselfs.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 AM

If you have to ask....

There's something to be said about the current state of affairs if you have to basically command your users to produce meaningful feedback.

I'm with the camp that is overtly excited about playing Pre-CU, but is covertly weary over the developers lack of productive community relations and tact.

Yes programming is hard, yes it's time consuming, but it isn't ****ing Defcon 1 around here; when you people make this project seem like some secret black ops project, it's gets to be kind of discouraging to feel excited about it.

Devs, learn a lesson from other projects, especially ones from the open source community and other free software outlets.

Look at the Haiku OS project web-page, they are a perfect example of how to keep the community informed and interested. I have been involved in that community for over 6 years. I've watched it grow from just an idea into a stable alpha and soon a beta, and it was FUN to watch it grow, and that's my point, that the community COULD watch it grow, because the devs made it totally transparent and made every effort to SHOW us what they were doing and when, even if it was mundane or ubiquitous.

Make a chart, on the left list the major hurdles, on the top put Progress, and then have a bar 10 cells long, and then color in a cell every time the devs feel they've made an accomplishment in that area; EASY!

Get a clue; show us EXACTLY what we should be excited about at any given point along the line. THEN you'll have positive and excited feedback rolling on in, along with excited donors who know your not just jerking them off.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:01 PM

*On TC allow us to actually have the skills for the profession tree(when its possible of course) this is alot of content for many.Would also help resolve bugs and boredom issues..This would help if like one week was melee testing and next range so on and so forth.This can help with individual issues or random bugs.

*Forums- section specific based on whats being tested.Currently testing animations..Each section should remain open till that portion of testing is done..

*IRC-lord knows what will fix that mess..

I try to test things when i can not much else i can offer really other than that..I do appreciate what you guys are trying to do reguardless.But i read more than i post.Not that i dont want to help more just i feel it waste your time..Well i cant wait for the next updates so far things look promising..Thanks for the time and work you guys are putting in.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 PM

Sadly, I'm short on time, and thus unable to read every post in this thread to make the most informed, constructive post. Though I shall do my best with the 4 pages I did read.

As I've heard many suggest, being part of this community, to me, feels like walking on a thin layer of ice above a pit of spikes. I've been on some tough forums before, but this one literally frightens me. I'm still trying to get unbanned from the IRC, for doing absolutely nothing. I was idling, in the correct places, following all the rules, and suddenly Ultyma starts banning people, including me.

The first step to raising the community involvement in the Emu, would be trying to sooth these feelings. I understand that it's often hard to do, with all the flame-worthy noobs running around, starting fights, crowding the forums, and messing with the flow of IRC, but there has to be a balance between enforcement and acceptance. Between power of authority and level headed-ness
Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Knuckles

I think main reason people dont post here is...

1. Ultyma banning people for nothing
2. People posting suggestions to nerf DoT's,weaponry,comp armor etc
3. People who never actually played preCU coming with suggestions

Fix those 3 and you might get more posters
Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 PM

I just this site like once a week for an update but I barley post on the forums and i dont have the emulator installed. Im waiting till when its release.... I CANT WAIT TO PLAY IT. Just like the old days...being a smuggler selling the drugs .
Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
Well the actions of the community leaders in the past have left most in fear of posting about anything related to swgemu. It is good that the community leaders seem to be doing a 180 on their approach toward the community, however, it might take more time to get the community to actually get used to the fact.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Yes i have a suggestion. On many of the planets, you would be doing a mission for instance say you were doing a Pickett Lair on dantooine. More offen than not the lair would despawn in the middle of your mission. Im not sure exactly waht the issue was but maybe you guys could make sure that doesn't happen. That and also in precu and cu their were always error messages that said Can't KD Recover while KD.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.
Well this is my first post, but i just wanted to say that the only reason why i choose to lurk the forums rather than join it is the atmosphere you guys have set up in the forums, i was afraid of getting banned, im sure im not the only lurker who feels the same way.

I was lurking these forums, checking your progress way back when you guys made your code open source, i was also there for the whole joker thing.

Well i will most likely continue to lurk, but i just wanted to say that and that i used to play in Ahazi as "Genraka Dirinson".
[EDIT] I just wanted to add that i used to play way back after the first week of SWG's Launch.

/wave
Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum.
I've been lurking for ... wow, I think about a year, but am only now getting around to registering so I can post.

Why? I've seen far too many people lashed out at on their first post because they missed some small point in the agreement. The zero tolerance for being human has always been very intimidating.

Yes, I tell people about the emu, but I've never recommended that they actually post here. Banning someone who's excited about the project because he asked when you're releasing is not building a community. It's getting people afraid to post. It was a mistake I very nearly made myself, simply because I was excited about the project.

After seeing a couple dozen of these I stopped visiting the forums at all. I'd only read the front news page. This was especially true after the Paypal fiasco.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Well I read the forums every day I just don't post I like to read the updates. If theirs any ways I can help I'll try to help.

Last edited by goldcrud; 03-30-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Dreams is one thing, but posting nonsense or just posting whatever comes off the top of your head really doesn't help. Instead maybe think about what you want to say then put it together in a way that is constructive to the community as a whole or at least constructive towards one person.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:34 AM

To be honest, Oru and TA are the only people with real skills on this team. I'm not denying that Ultyma and Ramsey have skills, but they just lack in common sense. Its really sad to see their egotistical ways corrupting TA, and Oru as well. TA used to be a very nice person. But now he just participates in goofing off with the rest of them. How can you expect us to follow the rules when you do not follow them yourselves? There are plenty of examples of when they were very immature... Remember how Ultyma banned the first person that came in the test, and Ramsey and Seaseme laughed and got a real kick out of that? Yeah, thats real mature. I know I will not be in this community much longer. Believe me, I would love to see this community improve, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen. You want to hear the community feedback, but you are dissapointed when you dont like what you hear. The community has the real say in what goes on, without the community, your nothing.
Closed Thread