SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

excelent decission, let the public contribute in a more practicle way than financial donations. I bet alot of my fellow students are going to be thrilled to hear this
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM

I'd search through old forum posts for popele who offerd to help you guys in the past and contact them via registration email.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkyman587 View Post
It is not hard to see why interest has fallen. Every one of my friends who has come here to learn more has been met with generally stuck-up behavior. Questions such as.. what can I do, when is it ready, can I test whats there? are met with "ZOMG!!! DIDNT YOU READ STICKY 5 PAGE 14!!!!?" I have no idea what an IRC channel is, I just hop on a computer, keep my hardware up to date, and play games as they come out... SWG being one of the best games/communities I have ever seen. I figured this project would exemplify that quality of people, but not from what I have seen. I check back every other month or so, just to see if anything has been done. My friends now do the same, because we were all scared off by people who figured we should have known every detail from the start. I know a lot of effort has been put into this project, but by the time its all over, even the real SWG will have a larger following and more loyal fan base than this.

No offense, but your friends are lazy. When you register, you are told to read the FAQ. If your friends would have taken five minutes to read the FAQ like they should have, they wouldn't have been met with "stuck-up" behavior. People get angry when they spend an hour and a half explaining how set up IRC and write out a FAQ and some jacknob comes in and asks "What is IRC?" "Can I play" "Is this free? "Whats NGE?"
Old 11-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Im a little confused heh, so say i have a working server now, with just the basic pre cu code, i can use the Core3 code thingy and put it on my already running server? and be updated with core3?

SWGEmu Encourges The"Less QQ More Pew Pew"Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
DO proceed to eat cookies and drink milk. Statistically 83.77% of players are able to deal with 'DB Shock' (TM) better after a serving of milk and cookies.
| SWGEmu FAQ | A Newbie's Guide to SWGEmu! | SWGEmu Client Setup Guide | Launchpad Enhanced | How to be a SWGEmu Beta Tester | Profession Forums | |
Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 AM

This is great news to hear indeed. A concern I have though is with the competitive other swg emu project's out there. What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

This may sound stupid as I'm not very suave coder/server-client side coding type of person but I was just thinking someone is going to try and claim credit for all the work you guys did..
Old 11-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Developer
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebena View Post
This is great news to hear indeed. A concern I have though is with the competitive other swg emu project's out there. What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

This may sound stupid as I'm not very suave coder/server-client side coding type of person but I was just thinking someone is going to try and claim credit for all the work you guys did..

We have weighed the good/bad of releasing the code and having other teams claim it as their own. We've come to the conclusion that at this point in the game it doesn't matter.

We did it first. If they do it last, it's because of our work and our research. Just like it has always been.

The only real thing they could take is packet structures. And I'm 100% they have structs for everything already so thats not even an issue in my mind.

The code thats written is essentially useless to any other project because its built so heavily around Engine3.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM

This is one of the better moves that i have seen by the team in quite awhile. Im glad that you guys are willing to suck up your pride to get the game done. With a little luck and programming, SWG will be back up and running in the near future.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM

i applaud your decision and i hope nothing but good comes from it, for the team and for the project.

Intrepid
Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 AM

I like this.
This allows SWGEMU to progress solely on heightmaps bvut at the same time allows others to get other things working for them which saves them less work.
And since it will go through a heavy QA process before SWGEMU add it offically to their core. no unstableness like Core 1
Old 11-22-2007, 09:53 AM

i like to hear this :]
Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 PM

So what this update is saying is that they are going to set up a server in which we can actually play and start grinding before the release?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KADAJ1289 View Post
So what this update is saying is that they are going to set up a server in which we can actually play and start grinding before the release?
No, this update is saying that SWGEMU is completed and they are releasing the server code....ZOMGZ....

But no what this is saying is that they are open-sourcing the Core3 code Wich people can then use to test and implement things if they know how. then if you get something working like lets say....umm.....Bazzars? yeah bazzars you can submit the code and a SWGEMU dev will test it out and see if it actually does work then will impliment it for testing....Right?.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej View Post
But no what this is saying is that they are open-sourcing the Core3 code Wich people can then use to test and implement things if they know how. then if you get something working like lets say....umm.....Bazzars? yeah bazzars you can submit the code and a SWGEMU dev will test it out and see if it actually does work then will impliment it for testing....Right?.
Correct Give that man a cigar.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:45 PM

like everyone else here, im a bit discourged with the obvious lack of progress, things being said and then not followed up. that being said, there is obviously things goin on behind the scenes, and although i would have prefered to see this project stay closed source, i think it will definatly help the progress. when core1 went closed source, ok it caused more problems than it solved, but it still solved some problems, not long after core1 went open, combat was done, many of the features used in core 3, im sure where contributed in core1 svn.

im sure not many ppl r gonna read that since i myself just glance over the posts, but bottom line, im all for any changes that will speed this project up, u guys have done an amazing job so far so im sure we will all have precu back in no time.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the update info Devs.
I hope this decision will help everybody out.

*Nezom Lonanto
*Master Commando
*Imperial
*Bloodfin

Closed Thread