SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News

Notices

Community News Community Bulletins, Service downtimes and minor announcements.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Exclamation Object Restructures, and a Deadlock?

This is a long informational read, be sure to check out the links on topics you're unfamiliar with!

As you know, our Test Center will "crash" operation from time to time, lately more often than not. Why, you ask?

If you've been keeping up on current affairs, you know that the focus of development shifted some time ago from content "branches" to the fundamental codebase.

Throughout the past few years this project has seen many Developers come and go, each with their own unique contributions to the code. However, the sheer number of contributions placed a severe burden on a few Core Devs that assumed the responsibility of Integrating all this new code into the "Tree" successfully. This is not without challenges. Things such as deadlocks, crashes, memory-leaks, etc are a constant threat.

When these issues arise, a condition known as a "Deadlock" can occur. In our case, a Deadlock means that several aspects of the code are awaiting one another to complete, causing the server to grind to a halt. Please take some time to understand what a Deadlock is.

At a certain point, the decision was made (and wisely) to take stock of what had been accomplished, reviewing current code and ensuring that the "Tree" was sufficiently workable. It was determined that modifications were necessary, not only to clean up the current code, but to ensure that future contributions would be EASILY adapted to the complete Tree, without reconfiguration and coding of the entire codebase each addition.

As a result, the OR was born. SWGEmu has been many months into this, and significant progress has been made. However this post isn't to note progress, it's intention is to inform about the OR and what a "Deadlock" actually is. The community needs a place to be able to point new members to, so they can become informed. Hopefully this post is a start. I encourage all who read this to FURTHER review the Announcements, Community News posts, and the Bi-Weekly Updates. All available information is represented there.

At this point the emphasis on the current revision was marginalized in light of the need to lean out what was going to be the workable code moving forward. However, you guys are playing, and a few of our guys have made valiant attempts (read: TA, Kyle etc etc, Kellina, Learning, all QA) to make what's here, work. As a result you've seen a lot of jedi work. Please understand that this is not a permafix, nor is it intended to be the end all of Jedi/SWGemu. Things will change, and this is only temporary.

HOWEVER! Please do not assume that Jedi is the Emu's focus, it is not. This was done for you folks, as a gift, while the slow process of the OR is worked through.

Please be patient while our 100% volunteer staff continues to chip away at the OR. As you can see, we're still here. This is simply not a time for momentous leaps and bounds. However that time will come, and we'll need to you help us test the new code and prepare for the final push.

Thank you, as always, for your ongoing support of Pre-Cu and SWGEmu!

* Please remember, you can check server status in the Java client at SWGEmu IRC or your favorite IRC client. Please see #test and #status for the latest status updates.

** You can also find current status reporting (excluding the deadlock condition) at www.swgemu.org

SWGEmu

Last edited by Ekaika; 03-01-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Please be patient while our 100% volunteer staff continues to chip away at the OR. As you can see, we're still here. This is simply not a time for momentous leaps and bounds. However that time will come, and we'll need to you help us test the new code and prepare for the final push.
My favorite part. Well said, eka. Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxydin View Post
.... it doesn't matter how many times, I grap the IR sensor for my mouse, it doesn't move the mouse lmao
Feidry - MWS
Wraffe -TKM / MDOC
Eekiw' - Epic Sniper
Old 02-28-2010, 05:05 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

I think i can find a place for this in my signature.

Thanks Eka, good stuff.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 AM

good info, and thanks for posting this
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM

should hopefully set a lot of people straight as to the current status of what is going on out there and why things happen. very well done.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Good to hear
Old 02-28-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
As a result you've seen a lot of jedi work. Please understand that this is not a perma0fix, nor is it intended to be the end all of Jedi/SWGenu. Things will change, and this is only temporary.
What is SWGEnu?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 PM

it's clearly the next project SWG: ENU (European Network of the Unemployed)

It is good to see your still here and assembla says you are making good progress

the future of math

...has been Kiddo'd on the SWGEmu forums
...has been Super Kiddo'd on the SWGEmu forums

“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.” -Sun Tzu

I think I'm a schizophrenic

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM

This was extremely helpful to people like me who only check these forums every once in awhile. Thanks a lot
Old 02-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Quality Assurance (On Leave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
I don't think I'm the first to quote this, and I'm sure I won't be the last. Thank you for your contributions to help keep everyone informed.

Remember kids, knowledge is power.
Loco Tmac
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Thank you so much! This info filled in all the questions I had about deadlock. Every time the server ends up in deadlock it shows us how important the OR is. I appreciate all you do for the only SWG.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

I know a lot of this is repeat info for some of you, but we're still seeing a lot of misinformation and confusion in IRC and community emails/pm's. Hopefully restating this stuff helps in some way.

Typos fixed
Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Community Team

It's still nice to see effort being maintained to appease the community/testers that they day will eventually come where their services will be once again needed at full-bore.

I doubt any of us can be grateful enough for this project and the time that people have put into it.
A pro bono publico project of this magnitude never fails to completely startle my usually cynical mindset.

Thank you, again.

IX
SWGEmu Moderator
IX-@swgemu.com | EmuIRC | Helpful Links
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM

That was well said.

/bow4
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM

A while ago (read: several month) I read a statement saying that the current codebase would be made obsolete by the OR so there would be no point in fixing bugs we find on the server and therefore also no point in reporting bugs. Is that still true? Or hast the OR progressed far enough that parts of it have been integrated and need to be tested?

So Long
Shiriki
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: