SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
This actually makes much more sense.

Though the community and developers don't always see eye to eye, sometimes unpopular measures are needed to ensure further improvement of server security and overall project progress.
if that is truely te case which i highly doubt there is NO reason for any member of this made up team to be on TC... Like Kyle said they have private server/servers they use. Let Aushor and the rest of the hackers screw up the private server. No reason to have them on regular TC if they have private servers that could be tested on and still use the bug tracker or whatever to report hacks/exploits.... But sadly you'll see things back to what they were acouple days ago.

He'll log into game start hackin exploitin and griefing players and now nothing can be done cause now he's with his buddies in title and there is no true accountability.

Tusken
Roodypooh
Spy
Ichigo
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 AM

a lot of crying over exploting. FINDING these exploits is a good thing. So long as it is reported, and the "exploiter" is willing to help in order to secure it from happening again.

This is a test center. not a play server. Dont get so upset about someone exploiting. Id rather them do it here, and have the exploit fixed, than have them do it on a live server where it will cause serious grief and damage.

Stop worrying about your own fun in gaming and help test the bugs. Find exploits so we can fix them now.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodypooh View Post
if that is truely te case which i highly doubt there is NO reason for any member of this made up team to be on TC... Like Kyle said they have private server/servers they use. Let Aushor and the rest of the hackers screw up the private server. No reason to have them on regular TC if they have private servers that could be tested on and still use the bug tracker or whatever to report hacks/exploits.... But sadly you'll see things back to what they were acouple days ago.
Stop blaming only one person for everything you think is wrong, Ashur is not the only one that was hacking or that got banned. I have seen 3 or 4 black names for <STORM> and no one seems to mention them.

As for screwing up servers you seem to be forgetting that the whole point of TC is for us to try to screw it up as much as we can, so all bugs, exploits, opportunity for hacks, bad code can be exposed, reported and fixed. Somewhere in the process people confused this for a live server and started treating it as such.

I'm sure when SC launches, no hacks or exploits will be allowed, but until then remember that this is a test server and your gaming experience and enjoyment are not a priority atm.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlock View Post
a lot of crying over exploting. FINDING these exploits is a good thing. So long as it is reported, and the "exploiter" is willing to help in order to secure it from happening again.

This is a test center. not a play server. Dont get so upset about someone exploiting. Id rather them do it here, and have the exploit fixed, than have them do it on a live server where it will cause serious grief and damage.

Stop worrying about your own fun in gaming and help test the bugs. Find exploits so we can fix them now.
Basically the same thing i posted, nice to see I'm not alone.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...

Last edited by Vlada; 10-19-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Did anyone see "Catch Me If You Can?"
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
Did anyone see "Catch Me If You Can?"
Yes. Does this imply that the Dev team had no idea how to fix the problems, so must "hire" the ones who are hacking to tell them what they did? Because from previous posts it was made clear that the Dev team can and will spot everything, and that SC will not be able to be exploited or hacked.

I understand why the exploits/hacks need to be found. If those responsible truly care about the Emu project, let them help to fix it. And then once SC goes live, give them a 3 month ban from the server.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
Stop blaming only one person for everything you think is wrong, Ashur is not the only one that was hacking or that got banned. I have seen 3 or 4 black names for <STORM> and no one seems to mention them.

As for screwing up servers you seem to be forgetting that the whole point of TC is for us to try to screw it up as much as we can, so all bugs, exploits, opportunity for hacks, bad code can be exposed, reported and fixed. Somewhere in the process people confused this for a live server and started treating it as such.

i have every right to blame the one person. he's the one thats coming back before the let the othrs return sooner or later. you also seem to forget about the griefing. there has been no guarrantee that he isn't going o just log in and start being a ***** to anyone he see's just so he can get rocks off.

As far as you this is a tc we need yadda yadda.... gee lets see if it wasn't for these guys we wouldn't be having this horrid lag ingame from the program that put in to detect them hackin. We have had enough issues ingame cause of people like him and his "Guild" and the last thing we need is more of it.

i know its a tc but giving a person who clearly has no reguard for the playing and or testing of others and takes every opprotunity to grief just cause he feels its fun ad now having a badge to back him up is just going to makes him and any others of like mind to be that much more of a ***** to people ingame.

Take your own words you realy want to be out in the world testing/playing and have some one like that with a badge decide hey its give vlada hell ingame day and grief you or whoever he happens to run across at that momnt?

i think not

Tusken
Roodypooh
Spy
Ichigo
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelharis View Post
Yes. Does this imply that the Dev team had no idea how to fix the problems, so must "hire" the ones who are hacking to tell them what they did? Because from previous posts it was made clear that the Dev team can and will spot everything, and that SC will not be able to be exploited or hacked.

I understand why the exploits/hacks need to be found. If those responsible truly care about the Emu project, let them help to fix it. And then once SC goes live, give them a 3 month ban from the server.
That's not how the movie went.. but no. However, it is true that we didn't know about every possible exploit prior to finding them being conducted. Would you expect us to? Has any MMO ever released with zero holes? We're not asking people to fix them, we're asking people to find them.

Will we eventually find out if people are cheating? Yes, for a number of reasons. Will we act on it? You betcha.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel View Post
With all due respect, this post simply seems like it's saying "Hey, if you hack, come apologize to us, work with us, and we'll unban you."

I simply don't understand it... If someone is caught exploiting (and I think I'm not the only one who'll agree with this) they shouldn't be brought back. Is he back, or is he just working with the team?

What's to say Ashur won't be doing this again? Will he be watched to make sure? Is this how everyone else will be treated that cooperates with you for exploiting?
blah blah....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:

He'll log into game start hackin exploitin and griefing players and now nothing can be done cause now he's with his buddies in title and there is no true accountability.
Quote:
i have every right to blame the one person. he's the one thats coming back before the let the othrs return sooner or later. you also seem to forget about the griefing. there has been no guarrantee that he isn't going o just log in and start being a ***** to anyone he see's just so he can get rocks off.

As far as you this is a tc we need yadda yadda.... gee lets see if it wasn't for these guys we wouldn't be having this horrid lag ingame from the program that put in to detect them hackin. We have had enough issues ingame cause of people like him and his "Guild" and the last thing we need is more of it.

i know its a tc but giving a person who clearly has no reguard for the playing and or testing of others and takes every opprotunity to grief just cause he feels its fun ad now having a badge to back him up is just going to makes him and any others of like mind to be that much more of a ***** to people ingame.

Take your own words you realy want to be out in the world testing/playing and have some one like that with a badge decide hey its give vlada hell ingame day and grief you or whoever he happens to run across at that momnt?

i think not
More than I could ever say. These are the concerns. Everyone is looking over that. No one cares about Ashor, or the others, or whoever it was that got caught. It's the people who are allowed back. It's the fact they took advantage and there's no promise that it won't happen again and now they're "working" with staff who will most likely look over all of these problems if they do get repeated. No one is complaining that the people who come across exploits are helping, it's just the ones who keep on doing this even after the "reports", and the ones who are griefing many other players ruining their testing.

Odissa: Master Image Designer/Master Tailor

Arihanna: Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic

Blutsaugerin: Master Doctor

Making gamers out of moms since 1996'

http://www.alloutassault.net
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 AM

It was clearly stated that if anyone who's been given the opportunity to help identify and rectify exploits does what you're indicating, they'll be blacklisted.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Everything done is and will be for the good of the project. Community doesn't have to like it, but will have to accept it.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...

Last edited by Vlada; 10-19-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Funny though ... I actually did report my findings to the appropriate people ... and a while back I did apply for a QA function where i've put in my application that I think they need to add an "exploit/hack" department .. and didn't get a reply at all .... on anything.

Now .. suddenly a exploiting team has been set up with a guy abusing and exploiting.
Kinda reverse world ..

Ah well ... at least action is being taken ..
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 AM

Doublestandard.

Guess its good to be friends with the Dev's...

If they aren't here to play the game as its intended to be played, they should in no way be associated with helping test content.

They aren't testing the game, they are exploiting it and the rest that are here to help move this game in a direction for everyones enjoyment when it goes live.

I'm an old fart, been in just about every mmo beta and live game since before EQ1. You promote this kind of behavior by turning a blind eye for your friends seems kinda odd considering the facts.

If it wasn't such a high visability with this particular case probably wouldn't mean anything at all. This was very public and allowing this / these players to continue while the rest of us are here in the highest spirit of the gaming community to play the game as it is intended to be played. If you're going for something else let us know.

Might as well give us a .teleportwaypoint command to help us with poi's. I mean how big you want the grey area to be.

There are more than enough honest, die-hard swg fans to help you test this emu without having to have known cheaters and hackers creating such a problem for the playerbase.

Last edited by Draacco; 10-19-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM

Personally I would much rather see these people permabanned then running around the server but this decision is probably best for the entire project in the long run. Some people used hacks, there are always going to be hackers on every game you play and cheaters in everything you do. Let the staff use these clowns to prevent further hacks. Fine.

What right do you have to complain? You're playing a free test center for an open source project and at the end of the day the server gets wiped and every character and item is deleted.

****ing get over it.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 AM

I agree with kyle about the hacking part but other people are making there mind up on other stuff, but what ever is best for the community I am behind it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: