SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Announcements

Notices

Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 PM

The unification doesn't, IMHO, hinge on the compatibility of code. If the SWGEmu guys are having trouble with a feature, being able to ICQ the guys at SWG:ANH and say, "Yo, I got this problem..." and the ANH guys looked at it and said "Have you tried this?" and it helped the SWGEmu guys make headway, that's a win.

For the ANH guys to ask the Emu guys and get positive results from the return help, that's a win.

Sometimes you need someone outside the problem to look at it, cuz they have a different perspective and can come at it from another angle. And you never know, resolutions reached this way might be cross-platform solutions. That's a win/win or win/win/win if True Galaxies gets into the unification project.

Being able to share info that helps all involved, even if the code itself isn't compatible, is just the pwnsauce any way you cut it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david665 View Post
The unification doesn't, IMHO, hinge on the compatibility of code. If the SWGEmu guys are having trouble with a feature, being able to ICQ the guys at SWG:ANH and say, "Yo, I got this problem..." and the ANH guys looked at it and said "Have you tried this?" and it helped the SWGEmu guys make headway, that's a win.

For the ANH guys to ask the Emu guys and get positive results from the return help, that's a win.

Sometimes you need someone outside the problem to look at it, cuz they have a different perspective and can come at it from another angle. And you never know, resolutions reached this way might be cross-platform solutions. That's a win/win or win/win/win if True Galaxies gets into the unification project.

Being able to share info that helps all involved, even if the code itself isn't compatible, is just the pwnsauce any way you cut it.
Who uses ICQ still?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Communications Director (On Leave)
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david665 View Post

Good post.

I know that when I've spent many many hours on things like speeches, essays etc, a fresh set of eyes offering their opinion is exactly what is needed. Whilst I have no experience out side of web development, I would imagine fresh eyes are always a bonus in IT as well.

www.swgemu.com | max@swgemu.com

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:45 AM

This is a step in right direction. It takes some large external spheroids to do what the SWGEmu team has done here. I hope that all the individual communities/projects can drop the drama and pool their collective resources in synergy with each other.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Cheers All around!

Good work to the staff and Community.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 AM

Thank you for the post Kyle, I too agree that if we want to succeed we as a community must stick together. Many people choose to post on their own private forums, and that should not be discouraged, but if you have an idea that you believe should be implemented, or some new way of doing something, let the developers know about it.

I personally believe that the failure of SoE's SWG project was partly the community's responsibilty. Some people wanted the game changed to the CU, other's wanted it to stay, but instead of discussing it responsibly, many resorted to meer taunts and insults. Now I am not saying that it is entirely the community's fault either, but in the long haul the more the community communicates with the developers(and that includes letting them know when they are doing something right) the faster and better the final product will become.

We must stand united, we must help each other, even if those dirty imperials stole your lunch money or those nasty rebels blew up your imperial base, leave such strife in the past and come together to form a unified front, helpful to the project leaders.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilius View Post
Good post.

I know that when I've spent many many hours on things like speeches, essays etc, a fresh set of eyes offering their opinion is exactly what is needed. Whilst I have no experience out side of web development, I would imagine fresh eyes are always a bonus in IT as well.
IT is no different.

You can compare writing code to building a website from the ground up. Sometimes you just need a coworker(or even some random guy) to say, "Hey, it would look cool if you did this!" or "Wow, this part of the page would be perfect to put such and such!". At the bare minimum it can spark idea's and lead to new and exciting stuff.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:29 AM

Thumbs up Finally

There are too many teams out there trying to make a SWG emulator. The teams need to pool their resources so we can have many develpoers on a single project! I (and i am sure many others) hope that a merge can be agreed on by the two main SWG emulator teams, Emu and ANH, so the community can finally take back what was stolen!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Retired Event Coordinator

It still impressing to see such a positive response from the community. With word of SOE pulling the plug on SWG in 2009, this emulator may become the only source for any SWG. I will stand by this emu to the end because its something that is truly amazing.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow'lin View Post
With word of SOE pulling the plug on SWG in 2009, this emulator may become the only source for any SWG.
Can I see your source link please? Ive thought myself that surely the plug must be getting pulled very soon, but is it just rumours youre basing it on? Id be interested to see if anything has been documented that mentions 2009

Also if this is the case, I really really really hope the different Emu teams can join forces to bring back a game that doesnt exist in any form, it would be incredible. Imagine in 2004 or so, If someone had said to you "in 4 - 5 years time this game will be taken back from SOE who tried to destroy it and into the hands of the community and be free to play!" youd have thought they were crazy. Its good grounds for a movie or book

Last edited by maowan; 06-07-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: syntax error
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 AM

I'll miss the soap opera drama, but I'm sure this will be better in the long run.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 AM

I hope to see a unification of the talent in the community, and am thankful that the SWGEmu developers are planning to keep this project open source.

Great job guys - I hope you can make it happen.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Any sharing of information and cooperation between the emu teams to accelerate progress on their respective servers is a win for the community. And if cooperation can begin, then the community members and the developers who have abandoned support of the emu's will have a hope that there is something worth returning to.

/cheers

If you want to know how to access the test server read the setup guide. Or just download Launchpad Enhanced and let it do the work for you if you already have SWG installed.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunions View Post
What?
Ok....
Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Very good post, and very good point, Kyle. And god, if I was halfway computer literate, I'd try and help out.. Still, I'll try and do my part by doing random stuff on the TC and reporting any odd things I see
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: