SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Retired Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetlaux View Post
/disagree

I understand that the game has to be completed before these features are implemented. That is a no-brainer. However, one of the problems with the community "losing interest" is that the majority of us feel there is nothing we can help with. What is the harm in setting up a way to accept organized and detailed ideas that will make adding content to the project faster after completion? Sorry I didn't specify that to begin with. I am not proposing adding content to the game right now.

The way non-coders are treated is part of the EMU's problem.

Many of us played SWG since launch, and we have a great concept of the purpose and functions of the game. We simply feel locked out of this project for not being avid coders.
/agree

Good post, btw. This will make the development of the Emu a little smoother (I hope anyway)
Old 11-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetlaux View Post
/disagree

I understand that the game has to be completed before these features are implemented. That is a no-brainer. However, one of the problems with the community "losing interest" is that the majority of us feel there is nothing we can help with. What is the harm in setting up a way to accept organized and detailed ideas that will make adding content to the project faster after completion? Sorry I didn't specify that to begin with. I am not proposing adding content to the game right now.

The way non-coders are treated is part of the EMU's problem.

Many of us played SWG since launch, and we have a great concept of the purpose and functions of the game. We simply feel locked out of this project for not being avid coders.
I agree and disagree. While I feel that non-coders should have a place in this process, core game mechanics need to be implemented long before quest ideas. This seems to be obvious to you.

Bombarding the development team with creative ideas is not conducive to progression.

That said, this forum exists for what seems to be what you were talking about.

Last edited by Ekowraith; 11-24-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

The last time we had the idea of letting EVERYONE help things got messed up. Core 1 is a MESS. This is the only way we could do this without letting things turn into core 1. That's fine with me. We'll have more quality control over all patches now, more programmers and probably more willing testers as features start to come faster. This is a good thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Just a thought, dont know about your view, but the Swganh is pretty far with all of this. Would it be possible to buy or find an agreement to get some of the things they have set up?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuringan View Post
Just a thought, dont know about your view, but the Swganh is pretty far with all of this. Would it be possible to buy or find an agreement to get some of the things they have set up?
I think Id rather just wait till our guys finish up..
Old 11-24-2007, 03:54 PM
SWGEmuContent Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowraith View Post
I agree and disagree. While I feel that non-coders should have a place in this process, core game mechanics need to be implemented long before quest ideas. This seems to be obvious to you.

Bombarding the development team with creative ideas is not conducive to progression.

That said, this forum exists for what seems to be what you were talking about.
Who mentioned bombarding the devs? lol Thank you for the response, but I do not need a link to the "Future Server Ideas" forum I use it quite often. I'm talking about something a little more formal and organized where a small team can organize fresh new ideas from the entire community for content once we go live. Perhaps what you are suggesting is me just going through the entire FSI forum and turning all of those posts into code-ready ideas?

That forum serves a good purpose: players that feel they have an idea can post it at their pleasure. If you go in, you tend to see 15 threads about Jedi, 3 about capital ships, and very little is specific. Now don't get me wrong, there are good threads mixed in there as well. But it's easy to overlook the importance of small-level content. How about some creative, region-specific missions that are more than just "A local flora farmer has an infestation of womp rats. Go wipe them out." ???

I have an artistic mind, and I see more potential in this game than those types of missions and, for lack of better words, the "quests" that SOE used. We need to open up to new ideas. Everything should be up for discussion.

PS Coders are awesome. lol
Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 PM

What sort of documentation and/or tools are you all planning to release along with the software (if any) ? Any chance of getting a look at documentation while you prep the software for release?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerzon View Post
I think Id rather just wait till our guys finish up..
Just because they are not l33t like SWGEmu doesnt mean there patches are not perfect. They have a beta planned by December. (not perfectly sure). I read through there patch notes and it all seems to be succesfull from when they tested it. So why not?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

it's not going to happen shuringan. Bottom line.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Services Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuringan View Post
ANH claims to be far ahead with this. Whether they are or not...that's another matter, but one that won't be discussed here. Relationships between the two teams are well nigh non-existent.
Plus, they are using completely different code (I believe they're emulating publish 14, while we're emulating publish 13). So there really isn't a way that the two teams could collaborate.
Please do not discuss other teams here.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 PM

While I don't really want to press the issue, why is it that discussion regarding legality/other teams is prohibited here? I think both of those issues are at the forefront of a good amount of the communities' minds.

Seeing this post deleted without an explanation would be frustrating.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowraith View Post
Seeing this post deleted without an explanation would be frustrating.

Oh god..they wouldn't want to frustrate you...please devs..answer the man..please before he gets frustrated and does something...like post another message..lol
Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

Questions regarding legality are not allowed because it's been answered in the FAQ and probably dozens of other times on these forums. It's legal.

Discussion of other teams isn't allowed here because it isn't relevant to us. This isn't a competition or a race. It's just a matter of releasing a quality piece of software when the time comes. You obviously don't know the history between swgemu and the other teams, otherwise you would understand why it's forbiddon.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerzon View Post

Oh god..they wouldn't want to frustrate you...please devs..answer the man..please before he gets frustrated and does something...like post another message..lol
lol.

I've just noticed in the past a trend of deleting posts without an explanation. If you're going to censor someone and they don't know why, it'll be hard for them to avoid it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaseme View Post
Questions regarding legality are not allowed because it's been answered in the FAQ and probably dozens of other times on these forums. It's legal.
So nothing covered in the FAQ may be discussed?

edit: Do you just mean that the question "is it legal" is not allowed? Or, is it like any other subject in the FAQ - it can be discussed, but obvious questions regarding it are not?

Last edited by Ekowraith; 11-24-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

Notice how I said QUESTIONS I don't care if you discuss them. The point is, the project is legal. And if it weren't we'd have been shut down long ago. Discussion should be minimized because we've been over the legality issue quite a few times now. It's nothing new.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: