SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 PM

sigh...

Quote:
I was doing lair runs with some guys ingame earlier, neither had forum accounts but both said (and mind you, I hadn't said anything in regards to rubberbanding before hand) "I wish they'd remove rubberbanding" or something to that effect.
You get on at me about lying... How were those guys playing without forum accounts?

Fail. I think you've effectively made any points you are trying to make null and void.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobreeze View Post
sigh...

You get on at me about lying... How were those guys playing without forum accounts?

Fail. I think you've effectively made any points you are trying to make null and void.
lawl, my bad, I meant that like the thousands of people ingame, they don't post. Wouldn't be the first time I mis-worded something, just look at my first post
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Riiiiiight. Let me quote it again for effectiveness.

Quote:
I was doing lair runs with some guys ingame earlier, neither had forum accounts but both said (and mind you, I hadn't said anything in regards to rubberbanding before hand) "I wish they'd remove rubberbanding" or something to that effect.
I think all that needs to be said has been said. Credibility = 0

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-26-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Riiiiiight. Let me quote it again for effectiveness.

I think all that needs to be said has been said. Credibility = 0
You know you've lost an arguement/debate when you have to use someones mistake in wording to try and win.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM

/me looks forward to getting home, and continuing to hunt down his rumor on Endor, even with the rubberbanding that people keep whining about incessantly and unnecessarily.

Sorry about your emotions. They make me sad too.

Quote:
sigh...

I think he did that in the first place and yet somehow I'm still arguing with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
OR, maybe they don't post simply cuz they're too lazy to. I was doing lair runs with some guys ingame earlier, neither had forum accounts but both said (and mind you, I hadn't said anything in regards to rubberbanding before hand) "I wish they'd remove rubberbanding" or something to that effect.

EVERY time I'm around other people who are moving about, I hear sooo much *****ing about it. Every time I quest with people, or do anything with people that involves moving from point A to point B, I hear *****ing about the rubberbanding and most of the time, how it should be removed.

You're right though, not everyone wants rubberbanding removed, some deem it necessary. However MOST people do want it removed, and the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Lab, if PART of the code is broken, and it's bringing everything down, you remove it. I'm sorry if this simple concept is beyond you, but that's generally how programming works. Because that one tiny piece of code can **** up so much. And until it's fixed, it'll just keep ****ing everything up. I mean think of it from a hard-ware standpoint. You have your computer, it runs fine, but an OPTIONAL component keeps it from booting up. Your choices are

A: Leave it in while you repair it, being unable to use your computer

B: Remove it while you repair it, being able to use your computer.

The choice is painfully obvious, isn't it?

And I didn't call him a troll for disagreeing with me, you and him have been arguing with me for hours and I never called you trolls. I called him a troll for what he was doing in that post, trolling. Not because he was disagreeing with me, but because he was being an idiot. "dohoho 50 people! even though only like 3 are on the side of rubberbanding!" That was a very blatant trolling attempt, and I called him out on it.
Again, since when does "I wish they'd remove rubberbanding," mean "I would prefer speedhackers to get away with things over this rubberbanding."

Ok, hypothetical here. Government has a website that has top security information on it. Hackers find a way to steal information. Webmasters apply a prevention method that, without originally realizing it, slows down the speed of the website enormously. Now, here are the options:

A) Let the hackers run free and remove the prevention while working on a fix, because obviously the information will be wiped someday anyway, seeing as it's top secret.

B) Leave the prevention there until they can fix the security method, causing a lot pain for access, but preventing security leaks.

Hmm, I wonder which is better...

And no, his last thing was derisive sarcasm, not trolling. It becomes very tempting to use statements like that if the person you're arguing with doesn't seem to be understanding anything you're saying.

Should I start calling you a troll every time you use a cuss word? Look up the definition ffs.

No you getting caught in a lie and backpeddling is when you know you've lost.

To each his own.

Hang ten dudes

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-26-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM

Here's something I have found: when I use the /burstrun technique it lowers my chance of rubberbanding by about 50%, even though my character is moving faster than normal, (probably because the server expects it) but as soon as I slow down, my percentage for rubberbanding gradually rises. Also: has anyone else witnessed what I want to describe as creature "slingshotting?" All of the sudden the critter you're locked in close combat with suddenly just jumps to lightspeed and vanishes, even though you still have them in your target box up at the right hand corner of the screen, but their distance is all of the sudden 150+ meters away from you, even though your toon's movements and actions have shown no lag.

Its not entirely detrimental but I figured it couldn't hurt to bring up.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I think he did that in the first place and yet somehow I'm still arguing with him.

Again, since when does "I wish they'd remove rubberbanding," mean "I would prefer speedhackers to get away with things over this rubberbanding."

Ok, hypothetical here. Government has a website that has top security information on it. Hackers find a way to steal information. Webmasters apply a prevention method that, without originally realizing it, slows down the speed of the website enormously. Now, here are the options:

A) Let the hackers run free and remove the prevention while working on a fix, because obviously the information will be wiped someday anyway, seeing as it's top secret.

B) Leave the prevention there until they can fix the security method, causing a lot pain for access, but preventing security leaks.

Hmm, I wonder which is better...

And no, his last thing was derisive sarcasm, not trolling. It becomes very tempting to use statements like that if the person you're arguing with doesn't seem to be understanding anything you're saying.

Should I start calling you a troll every time you use a cuss word? Look up the definition ffs.
That example was HORRIBLE, man. I'll fix it for you.

Government has a website that let's you play flash-games, however it's a test-bed and will be completely wiped clean. Hackers hack in and give themselves the highest scores. The government adds an anti-hack but in doing so slows the site down to worse then 56k standards. Now because of this no one can test the new flash games. Their options are:

A: remove the anti-hack software, let the hackers enjoy their meaningless high scores while letting everyone else test the games

B: Leave the anti-hack on, and thus severely limiting the testing that can be done because it takes forever to do anything.

Hmmm, I wonder which is better....

Cuz in the end, that's the point. The server's gonna be wiped, anything the hackers obtain is meaningless, it'll all be taken away. So is it worth keeping them from cheating to get something they wouldn't be able to keep anyways, if it means making testing inefficient and pissing majority of the community off? If you can legitimently answer yes to that.... then wow.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'd just like some clarification on that comment.

How did they:

a) log in without forum accounts
b) Talk to you without forum accounts? Did some random guests just decide to send you a random public message?

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-26-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'd just like some clarification on that comment.
As I had already said, I said the wrong thing, simple. What I meant is they don't post. Thousands of people ingame have forum accounts, doesn't mean they post though.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Sure thing bud. Still sounds like fabricating scenarios to suit your argument to me.

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-26-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
Ok, hypothetical here. Government has a website that has top security information on it. Hackers find a way to steal information. Webmasters apply a prevention method that, without originally realizing it, slows down the speed of the website enormously. This information is sensitive and could cause all kinds of harm, but will be useless in a week. Now, here are the options:

Hmmm, I wonder which is better....

Cuz in the end, that's the point. The server's gonna be wiped and no damage can be done like it already was, right?, anything the hackers obtain is meaningless, it'll all be taken away. So is it worth keeping them from cheating to get something they wouldn't be able to keep anyways, if it means making testing inefficient and pissing majority of the community off? If you can legitimently answer yes to that.... then wow.
That example was HORRIBLE, man. Let me fix it for you.

There, are you happy with my example now?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM

Retarded examples aside, the point remains. Speedhackers getting jedi a couple days sooner then others has no baring on the project as a whole. And as someone has said, letting them go un-stopped will give the devs that much more time to study their hacks and find a truly good way to counter them. The only people who care about the hackers are vain faggots who are all "ZOMG HE GOT JEDI BEFORE ME!" As far as testing goes, the hackers really are of no consequence. And thus keeping an anti-hack ingame to stop them, that hurts EVERYONE. Is retarded, pure and simple.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Hi...

1st off, I would like to say that by itself, my opinion means nothing. (and I'm pretty sure I will be quoted on this)
2ndly, If their are, as previously claimed, +2000 people visiting the sight a day, and *some* ratio of those that approve rubberBanding measures, to those that do not, let their be a vote. Really, everyone votes once per account\per email\per IP. That could decide the actual opnion of the people. (not that that neccessarily counts for much, but it is more substancial that my opinion)
3rdly as Colt556 quoted earlier, "Can it be tweaked, fixed, and upgraded BEFORE putting it on the server and forgetting about it? Since that's the major thing. If the devs are so adament about keeping it, fine. Remove it, fix it, put it back up. If it still doesn't work, remove it. There is simply NO excuse for putting up a faulty code and leaving it for two weeks while the entire testing process suffers dramatically because of it. There is just no excuse at all for that. "
Ok, I have a GREAT SOLUTION THAT SOLVES ALL YOUR PROBLEMS!
since it can't be tweeked, and now doesn't work, remove movement. yes. "There is simply NO excuse for putting up a faulty code and leaving it for two weeks while the entire testing process suffers dramatically because of it. There is just no excuse at all for that." yes. But what if the community and Dev's want to keep it? "If the devs are so adament about keeping it, fine. Remove it, fix it, put it back up."
no problems!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: