SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 1.22 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyri View Post
Good luck finding some others.

You know, maybe you guys should not try to alienate the guys coding the game you want who are trying to make sure we don't do something as drastic as wiping the server based on information we can't verify is completely accurate.
WTH man, I joined just the other day and this? That wasn't an insult to any of you. If you had watched the movies, when Qui-gon does the droid mindtrick thing, they quit looking for the droids... As in, they need to quit looking for you...!?!?

Was I misinterpreted?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Retired Game Master

Yes, you were misinterpreted.

And pretty sure that was Obi-wan.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm just a GM who happens to know exactly what these comments are doing to the otherwise very dedicated devs.

It comes with the territory. Perhaps the Devs in question need to take a break for awhile and not mess with anything until they've either recharged their batteries OR decided that the payoff isn't worth the headache.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm just a GM who happens to know exactly what these comments are doing to the otherwise very dedicated devs.
Well, I have no part in the debate, not even going to look around for who is saying what. All I have to say really is that the devs are doing a good job with this all. Development is a big task, tons of things happen that makes one head spin, it's work. So if they want to wipe or not wipe for whatever reason, it's really up to them. There really wasn't that big a difference in the poll anyway, it's not like 80% of forum lurkers are wanting a wipe. So, imo, it's their call
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM

In fact throughout this entire process, the devs were not involved until cRush attempted to put out some flames after the fact and was unjustly attacked.

Rockin' the DooDooPee, Ya'll see me rollin', you hatin.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:

You know, maybe you guys should not try to alienate the guys coding the game you want who are trying to make sure we don't do something as drastic as wiping the server based on information we can't verify is completely accurate.
Quote:
Yes, you were misinterpreted.

And pretty sure that was Obi-wan.
Ahm, got me on that one!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:

The whole problem is that the community has been ignored and jerked around. The devs can't be alienated from or by any group that they don't pay any attention to in the first place.

On the flip-side of the coin: yes, a lot of people have been real a-holes--but this is on ALL sides of this entire dramafest. Devs, staff, AND players... Especially players; mainly due to the massive amount of posts/chat coming from the players, with very little coming from the others.

The major problem: the percentage of negativity when it comes to players vs. the percentage of negativity from everyone else. A much higher percentage of negativity IS coming from the devs/staff.

These last few days have shown that things haven't changed in the last few years. I leave that statement as-is. There are still problems all the way around.

Yes, devs spend a hell of a lot of time coding this project. The staff spends a hell of a lot of time administrating the site, server, irc, etc. What both of you groups fail to recognize, at least publicly: the players spend a hell of a lot MORE time playing through the code and finding any bugs. Yes, playing a game and doing coding or site administration are different ballparks, but their still time taken away from our families, friends, and pets. Time IS money.

I do appreciate what the devs are doing here, despite the supposed in-fighting and backbiting they have to deal with. No, they don't HAVE to do this. Ditto for the staff. This entire community needs to stop with all the disrespectful comments and out-and-out barbarism when dealing with one another.

Players: if you don't like what's going on here, you don't have to stay here, read the forums, donate, play the TC, or anything. If you really wish to show your disapproval, don't donate, don't post, and don't play here. The staff/devs don't have to take and BS from you. You don't have to be respectful, but you won't be disrespectful, at least not for very long. @ban does work here.

Staff/Devs: keep doing your thing, but be respectful. Just being in a position of power and/or authority does not grant you the right of respect. Respect is something earned, period. Just as stated above, just because you don't have the right of respect doesn't mean that you should be treated disrespectfully, either. At the absolute worst, y'all should be treated in a courteously-neutral manner. As you know @ban does work here. Exercise it if rules are not followed, hackers/exploiters are caught, or you're disrespected.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 PM

geez the drama, it's bringing the database server to it's knees.
Think I'll go play with my modelling app
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM

I agree with Daywolf. They work harder than anyone else, and they reap no benefits from it. Personally I think everyone should stop fighting....but that wont happen...so at least dont bag on the devs...
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM

I for one am happy there won't be a wipe so soon! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM

After some time to calm down and refocus on what is important, the fact we can all play SWG as it was meant to be enjoyed, I would like to say kudos to the devs for any communication at all.
I think when things like this happens it reminds us of what we have all been through and not just with SOE. Most of the time the community is not thought of and when something scares us we react poorly.
I feel lucky to have found this game again and am thoroughly enjoying it. If I wasnt I wouldnt be here.
Maybe in future you should have a poll about whether to have a poll or not... hrm.. seems silly doesnt it.
Keep at it guys. We're here because of your dedication. Sometimes we forget that.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM

Well, the one thing that this has made abundantly clear to me is that the majority of the community surrounding this game is simply not one that I can continue to test and enjoy the game with. It's too divided and hostile. Certainly I took a side in the wipe debate, but I tried to state my thoughts clearly, and was open to consider the arguments of others. Most of the hundreds of pages of posts I read were just bitter hostility, though I appreciate those which rose above that.

Long story short, this will be ignored or I'll get a "QQ more, noob" or something, which is fine. How I feel about the community isn't the reason I made this post...

I simply ask that this account and its associated information be deleted as I have uninstalled the emulator and SWG and don't intend to return at any point in the near future. I like to tie up loose ends like that, and it would be much appreciated.

And lastly, I would like to thank the developers of this project. I installed it out of curiosity to see how the project was coming along, and to see if there was anything I could do to help, and spent a couple weeks playing with it. What you've accomplished is genuinely impressive, and allowed me to relive those memories of 2004 and the only MMORPG I ever played quite convincingly, lantern birds and all. Damn elusive Lantern Birds of memory. Never could remember what they looked like.

I wish you success with completing this project, as I'm sure that in a finished state with a broader community it would be a very enjoyable experience indeed.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxian View Post
Well, the one thing that this has made abundantly clear to me is that the majority of the community surrounding this game is simply not one that I can continue to test and enjoy the game with. It's too divided and hostile. Certainly I took a side in the wipe debate, but I tried to state my thoughts clearly, and was open to consider the arguments of others. Most of the hundreds of pages of posts I read were just bitter hostility, though I appreciate those which rose above that.

Long story short, this will be ignored or I'll get a "QQ more, noob" or something, which is fine. How I feel about the community isn't the reason I made this post...

I simply ask that this account and its associated information be deleted as I have uninstalled the emulator and SWG and don't intend to return at any point in the near future. I like to tie up loose ends like that, and it would be much appreciated.

And lastly, I would like to thank the developers of this project. I installed it out of curiosity to see how the project was coming along, and to see if there was anything I could do to help, and spent a couple weeks playing with it. What you've accomplished is genuinely impressive, and allowed me to relive those memories of 2004 and the only MMORPG I ever played quite convincingly, lantern birds and all. Damn elusive Lantern Birds of memory. Never could remember what they looked like.

I wish you success with completing this project, as I'm sure that in a finished state with a broader community it would be a very enjoyable experience indeed.
If only everyone could be like this....
Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM

I think this event makes SWGEmu the closest we will ever come to emulating SWG Pre-cu. Even without a complete game, so much drama/butthurt has been generated. This brings back good memories.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Quit in the face od diversity?? Id rather have less like that.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: