SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM

I am excited about crafting being wrapped up in the game. I am ready to go back to being a Droid Engineer. I enjoyed making droids, it was alot fun knowing, when you were walking around a city and you saw a player with a droid following him/her, you kinda said to yourself, "Hey self, that might be one of the droids I made for that person." Its a rewarding feeling.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM

wow...haven't checked in on the emu in a long time, things are progressing amazingly. Been broke for a while, but as soon as I've got some spare dough, I'll chip in again...it's crazy that you guys do this all for essentially free.

Anyway, regarding the height mapping issue...I know you requested educated ideas, and this one isn't very much so, but just a thought that popped into my head when reading about it. I know of some games that use a fractal to generate terrain (the Tribes family of FPS's, for example). I assume that SW:G doesn't do this, but to go along those lines, would it be possible to find an equation that describes the terrain sufficiently instead of a huge database of x,y,z coordinates? Probably not, but just figured I'd throw it out there.

keep up the great work devs...I can't wait to play Pre-CU!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Wow its been a long time since i also looked in on emu, cant wait for this now looks like you ugys have don a hell of a lot.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM

HAHA I love your sig Erif lol
Old 04-26-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Heightmaps: This is an area that is holding us back in the area of NPC movement and structure placement at the moment. We know a number of ways to implement this, but are searching for an efficient alternative to the methods we already know. Currently, we will be able to generate a huge file with all the z values for every x/y coordinate pair, but the problem we have is being able to manage all that data in a sensible way (save memory, fast request time etc). Educated idea's on how to manage huge heightmaps are welcome.
There is something that I had always wondered about and I know that you are in the development stage of this process, and this would be the time to consider this I think. Rangers used to be able to place tents of varying sizes and shapes, and those tents would adjust the heightmap and level the ground no matter where it was placed. Could this general idea be applied to the City Halls of cities? That way there is no real concern about terrain for city construction, because every city will get a nice flat surface to build on. The "Flattened" land could also be the diameter of the limits of the city size, and grow as the city size increases.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Communications Team Manager
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkybob View Post
There is something that I had always wondered about and I know that you are in the development stage of this process, and this would be the time to consider this I think. Rangers used to be able to place tents of varying sizes and shapes, and those tents would adjust the heightmap and level the ground no matter where it was placed. Could this general idea be applied to the City Halls of cities? That way there is no real concern about terrain for city construction, because every city will get a nice flat surface to build on. The "Flattened" land could also be the diameter of the limits of the city size, and grow as the city size increases.
This is a bit off-topic....but do you mean the entire city radius flat?

Personally I liked having to go out and find a decent spot for a large city. But I would like the land immediately around each building to build up flat like a camp, just not the entire city radius.

This should probably be discussed in the Future Server Ideas forum

Former SWG Carbineer Correspondent from pre-CU through the NGE
Iebas Feania on Chilastra Master Architect/Carbineer/Creature Handler

| SWGEmu FAQ | A Newbie's Guide to SWGEmu! | Launchpad Enhanced | How to be a SWGEmu Beta Tester | Profession Forums |
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfirehawk View Post
This is a bit off-topic....but do you mean the entire city radius flat?

Personally I liked having to go out and find a decent spot for a large city. But I would like the land immediately around each building to build up flat like a camp, just not the entire city radius.

This should probably be discussed in the Future Server Ideas forum
That would be a good thing to bring up.
Enlist at
http://combinesglory.guildlaunch.com...php?gid=111734

Old 04-27-2008, 01:36 AM

No words

really nothing i can say fellas.. i been waiting since nge/bse/forever to play "my game" again... i cant wait thanks ALL of you .
Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Talking

Awesome!

I've been sick for almost two weeks and been confined to the bed.
Coming back to read this is just .

I'm glad I've donated
Old 04-28-2008, 01:10 AM

well done guys! brings back some good memories....even just hearing the sounds and the clicks reminds me of the joy I got from crafting...

the crafting system is what really set SWG apart from the other games out there...thank you for doing it justice!

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 AM

excellent, however i did notice one thing and i'm not sure if it's there and just hasn't been implemented yet, when you gain ranks in a artisan class you don't neccicarily get the schematics transfered to your data pad... not sure if it just hasn't been handled yet or what?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM

I am really impressed with the progress bein made in the last bit, good job guys.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM

my god i love you guys, in a non sexual way
Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot'ika View Post
I am really impressed with the progress bein made in the last bit, good job guys.
Man ur a bit late arnt ya?
*I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

-Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
SWGEmuContent Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot'ika View Post
Yeah I haven't been around the project that long, but I read a lot more than I post. These last few months have been really incredible for the emu. It is very exciting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: