SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Taaack

-Weekly Updates

Yes. Hell yes.

- Bimonthly Q/A

Bimonthly? Isnt that a little... few and far between? I can see it for SWG as it's a continuing development process, but hopefully we wouldn't have more than two of these before release... So maybe like, every 3 weeks?

-Server events

Yeah. Once mobs are in, maybe mess with scale, agro, armor, and HAM levels so that we could all kill a HUGE ASS KRAYT with like 8 mill ham and 98% armor, and does 500 to hit... That would own so hard. And quite feasible.

- Little features in Core 3

Most people attribute little visible progress as no progress at all. Putting the little stuff in Core 3 from time to time (maybe every week put something like, say, Armor, or Medic skills, weapons with stats, friends lists, maps, vehicles [might not be small], shuttles [might not be small, but @shuttle would not be hard], buffs, hell.. indoor sync... entertaining?) I know that would make SO many people happy it's not funny. Then, you could make progress on the bigger things (crafting, finishing combat, housing, etc) slowly, and most wouldnt care nearly as much.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 AM

Thaught

Honestly I come on IRC everyday and I go through the forums everyday and go on the TC everyday. I've had an old friend on with me (who was with the pre-cu) that told me he would be more interested but it seemed there was nothing new to discuss. I told him there are plenty of things you all are working on but I did some research in the forums and it's pretty unanimous that ppl just want to see a weekly update just to spike interests and keep everyone talking and working in the same areas. Plz tell me if I am wrong.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taaack View Post
Most people attribute little visible progress as no progress at all. Putting the little stuff in Core 3 from time to time (maybe every week put something like, say, Armor, or Medic skills, weapons with stats, friends lists, maps, vehicles [might not be small], shuttles [might not be small, but @shuttle would not be hard], buffs, hell.. indoor sync... entertaining?) I know that would make SO many people happy it's not funny. Then, you could make progress on the bigger things (crafting, finishing combat, housing, etc) slowly, and most wouldnt care nearly as much.
Totally agree with this as well. This would keep people interested. More players would log into TC and IRC to see what was new.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 AM

People shouldnt be scared to post. Most of the posters here are pretty friendly, especially towards new members with legit questions. The only time i see hardcore flaming is when people ask questions that are IN the FAQ.

Other then that I think the community is pretty fair to the newer members. This is the internet people. No real reason to be scared to post or say something. If someone doesnt like your idea. Screw em, its your idea and everyone has them, regardless if everyone agrees.

just my 2 cents.

But I will agree, I think progress updates once a week, even if very minimal and/or short. Just a little bit of info goes a long way to people who look here everyday.

All in all though I personally think you (ramsey) and the folks working on the project have been doin a great job communicating...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-EightyEight View Post
I think progress updates once a week, even if very minimal and/or short. Just a little bit of info goes a long way to people who look here everyday.
*nod nod*

I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to your IRC channel. The first time I joined it there was a rather... disturbing discussion taking place. But with so many members here I can see how difficult it must be keeping things under control.

But I think you're doing a good job with everything else.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 AM

After Core3 has been developed, and it satisfies the necessities of the game, I would like to know what elements of Pre-CU are going to be included to constitute a first release of the Emu.

As in, the entire game just minus the Jedi? Or pretty much the entire game minus player cities as well? Dungeons? All mobs? Some quests?

This is what I'm in the dark with. I am perfectly fine with a bare bones first release. Specifically meaning, I would be very happy with all starting, elite (minus Shipwright) and hybrid professions working, vehicles (or just creature mounts), npc profession trainers, mission terminal spawns, resource shifts, resource extractors being enabled, dynamic world mob spawns, and guild halls being able to make guilds exist.

Now, to me, that's already a very tall order. And again, I would be very happy with that being a first release.

All JTL elemnts, Jedi, dungeons (as in Geo Cave, Deathwatch Bunker, the Warren, and the like), and quests could be added in later just as SOE added things in through updates as and when you Dev's complete them.

But, I don't know what you Dev's have decided on for a first release yet. I could even do without some of the game elements I mentioned and be happy with a first release.

I would like to know what's been discussed and set to be in the first release. And then with whatever has been decided to be in the first release, have those elements talked about on the weekly or bi-weekly updates for the community. Their progress, priorities of importance, things like that.

Last edited by Klanagh; 03-30-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:36 AM

90% of people only post about jedi things when it comes to discussion. Rest talks about armors, buffs, dots etc. Some believe they should stay as they were, some say they should be changed etc.

Since now I always thought it's too early to talk, but I see a dev is asking for suggestions.

To be honest, I want the game as it was. Some things can be changed, but I think it will be done by server hosters (like drop rates).

Server hosters should have power to add/remove any NPC they want, just for events. They should also have control on spawn rates, I personally didn't like the way krayts spawned after a small patch.

Everyone sleeps and wakes up with jedi. People should leave it. I think that's one of the problems prevents other discussions. All forums are full of "Jedi should be XXX" threads and posts. Before Jedi, there are 32 other professions. But, I wouldn't like changing them. I liked RM as it was, I like SW or TKM as they were or any other professions. Some hard core fans should think their prof should be a bit more powerful, but I don't believe so. I used to see many different templated people in PvP, but seeing more TKM never disturbed me.

If we want the game as it was, so what can be changed? Of course the small bugs those we remember. Warcry was one of them and it's fixed in emu already. There were a few more, like some specials didn't work etc. They should be fixed.

About buffs, it's been suggested 2 years ago, but SOE never did it, an idea that I liked. NPC buff bots. For high amount of credits, low quality buffs. It would remove the "nothing to do" thing when there is no doctor around and it would help economy, before it would let people have billions of credits.

We should pass the combat/crafting discussions except bugs. We loved them as they were, so discussions should focus on things like economy, afk grinding etc.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 AM

it is as simple as this EVERYONE OF THE 15K PEOPLE ARE WAITING THE GAME.
when the game is on and going there will be at least a 50% growth in community posts but when this commes some people with come to the test field on how quick they are in responces and then it will come that they cannot answer 500 mesgs per day .
I come every day to check on how things are going but i'm not answering anything and dont say anything because i'm waitng the game ,after the game is on ,there will be tons of sugestions but now what is to be said if someone take a good look at wat happend in test days he will have just a glimp of idea of what is going to happend when this wonderfull thing goes LIVE!!!!

thanks and cant wait for the game
Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 AM
ioiny

People will come when you give regular updates.
Don't see yourself as god's and welcomes the competion and can discuss the ahn project
Ultyma need to step down from his high horse and behave like a regular joe.
Don't make that much drama over this

Then you will have your community
Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 AM

I check in here a few times a day if I can. I rarely make posts though. If I posted I my posts would get lost in a sea of jedi and pvp related posts. When I want to post on a subject I head to spraticnet where posts aren't flamed or locked in a matter of minutes.

I know you guys do this for the love of the game and all in your spare time. Everyone appreciates that. I know I do.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 AM
freekyjason

i asked a question on IRC, to do with putting in new items, specifically scout trooper armour. i was called a moron and my question was dismissed as retarded. i was also told it wasnt possible to add in new crc's.

since then i have put scout trooper armour in, i have also put in shocktrooper and the two rebel faction armours that came in CU. i have also managed to *one* crc in and working.

so this retarded moron succeded at hte impossible.. can you believe it?

now with the sort of reaction i got for asking a non server elated or ETA related question, how can you expect people to step forward with ideas? they either get banned or flamed. and not only by the communtiy but by the devs and mods too.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Thank you guys.

The general concern that has been brought up is people "are too scared" to post in fear of being flammed/banned. I would like invite that particular group of people to speak up about their opinions and NOW share ideas and get involved in discussion. We, as a project, are trying to utilize our huge community to create a more friendly environment and bring precu back faster.

As for getting more things on core3,
Smusatto suggested having "themed" stress test events which I think is a GREAT idea to promote participation in tests, as well as demo technology.
An example he provided was, and I'll copy this verbatim from the chat
Quote:
(12:07:32 AM) Smusatto: defending bestine from a massive tusken invasion
(12:08:01 AM) Smusatto: rebels holding down the rebel outpost on rori from a massive imperial invasion or imperials holding down the imperial outpost on talus from a massive rebel invasion, etc, etc
(12:08:11 AM) Smusatto: and the NPCs could be scripted to invade in waves
(12:08:15 AM) Smusatto: progressively harder
(12:10:02 AM) Smusatto: I figure it'd be fairly basic AI... spawn the NPCs outside of the outpost, have them run towards a waypoint inside the outpost and simply have them agro any players in a certain radius
(12:10:27 AM) Smusatto: and once one wave is cleared, the next one would spawn
(12:11:37 AM) Smusatto: now the really cool part would be to allow a CSR(or admin or whatever you want to call it) to customize these events in a fairly intuitive way
(12:12:57 AM) Smusatto: such as selecting each kind of spawn, the amount of them, the time between respawns, the amount of waves, etc
Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 AM
freekyjason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Thank you guys.

... I would like invite that particular group of people to speak up about their opinions and NOW share ideas and get involved in discussion. We, as a project, are trying to utilize our huge community to create a more friendly environment and bring precu back faster.
its hard for folks to do that but, when their ideas are immediately set upon as being moronic or retarded...

the community can be rather harsh, for no reason other than its own amusement, which is driving people away who may have been able to contribute a lot. and certain devs do it too (ban bait i realise, but phuck it) the constant insults and banning for simple questions that arent the usual noob ones is rediculous.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 AM

Well if you want IRC to be more active you might wanna try and control the people that just shout/take the piss out of new people that join the channel and scare them off. When I was on the other day, there was 3 or 4 new people that came in and they all left because of the way they were talked to, and the people that made them leave were proud of it :S Even if people ask stupid questions, they can be told the answer, like "no idea when the test server is up, jus so you know, the server status is in #test, its only up when it says so in there" instead of "omfg1111!!!!!! read the FAQ111111111!!!!!!!!! (sets mode +b)". I told them the idea of the chat was to help build a community and all they said was "no its not" :s
Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Hi guys

i am new here to (well one month old) i learned allot from this forum, but i also know what subjects to stay away from, i even made a post that got locked. I am a 27 year old dude, and I'm a business marketing consultant in Denmark. I love the olds SWG and i don't hate the NGE it's just not a game for me. Pre-cu and NGE is the way i see it not to versions of a product but to different products.

i will gladly give free marketing ideas for this project, and be part of a generation of "rebels" that want to restore what once was. First of all i know that the old SWG community was a help full one. A noob could log on and ask the most basic questions to a 2 year old Veteran, and the Vet would show the noob everything he needed plus give him a 100K to get some better equipment.

Now i know that the 15K people in here once was part of the 300K+ members in there so the ideals of the SWG community should be used on these forums. A forum member is a "consumer" of the ending product "SWGemu" and there fore he is...."always right"....to a point. The community needs to take this noob consumer and guide him to what is going on, and what will be expected of him in the future. A good personal guide makes a better forum member for others. There are noob´s that a smart, and noob´s that need help, that is the basis of a helping community.

Another thing we could try is Banner's. there are 15K members in here and that must lead to some amount of web pages. Place banners on member web pages, make a PDF information page on this page you can print, so members can place them at schools ore on other related public places.

All this is basic stuff....and as long that it is a free working (donation only) project you a allowed to scream about it to everyone on the street (not a marketing advice, just to answer the "legal ore not" issue)

And yes there is (i guess) a lot of bad grammer in this, and that should not be pointed out in other posts either. The community is a multi languige one, and not all English. dont "kill" the alien guest's for trying to write in English

thanks for all
Allron
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: