SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Announcements

Notices

Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM

Just spent an hour reading through this thread. I'm impressed. I keep getting into the community, then end up getting distracted by other IRL things, and check back in every couples months. One of these times, I'm going o check back in, and see that things have been completed for months!

I can hope anyway. Keep at the unity thing, it just might make this all a bit easier :-)
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM

I'm thankful that many people were honorable enough to not let SWG die lol. If any of you may think this, I also believe the current versions of the Emu may not be as advanced as others, they may not have the equipment as the original, but, quoting from a member of the city I once joined when I was having trouble deciding whether or not to leave that city to join one that gave you free stuff: "Well, it's your choice. Would rather be around friends or have a lot of items" I never knew her words would come in handy here lol. Well, what I mean is, I'd rather sacrifice large amounts of items to contribute to something bent on improving SWG that has a large community, unlike the SoE version that has a near-dead crapmunity XD
Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 AM

I thought I would chime in here in regards to the olive branch being graciously offered by team SWGEmu. First let me say, I have been a member/follower/forum lurker of this community since mid-2005. I've seen the community ripped apart and pieced together numerous times since then..back when it was a handful of Devs, including Ramsey, Xeno, Ulty, and a certain Batman-related character whom I won't dare disgrace this forum by recanting his fouled name. I've been here for Core1 Zone-In, Antman's Core2 rebuild, the Smed/SoE/SWGEmu meetings, etc. and have shared in the same ups and downs as not only the Devs, but all the community members that have stuck by these tireless workers through thick and thin, even when the Dark Side was close at hand. My point being, I, like very few here today, have seen what these guys have endured, watched them grow up and mature not only as developers, but as people, and despite all the horsesh#t that has happened over the years, I still have 110% faith in this team and all the Devs\members who have contributed to its eventual success over the years.

Now, to get to my point: I highly respect Kyle's endeavor to rebuild the bridges that have been burnt over the years. Again, it shows how far this team, this community as a whole has matured over the years. I'm 29 now, pushing 30, and I know how much I've grown up personally since this project's inception, so I can only imagine how far these guys have come on their own personal levels. The one thing I have been bothered by, reading this thread, is the lukewarm to outright frigid demeanor of some of these other groups/teams/individuals in response to what I feel was a very, VERY heartfelt reaching out by this team. As I said, I've been here a long time. I KNOW why some of you feel you have been wronged, and even if I don't know the whole story, I respect that you feel you have been wronged. But quite frankly? Get over it. Yes...it's really that simple. Life is way too short to keep these petty grudges alive, and there are way too many people from all walks of life and all corners of the globe that are counting on not only team SWGEmu, but you other teams as well to bring back to life what SOmEone took from us years ago.

Am I saying "forget the past"? No. Learn from it, live by it's lessons, but don't use it as a feeble excuse to hold grudges and hinder what we all are trying to either accomplish or see accomplished: Pre-CU. I'm saying "let it go". All the animosity, all the bullsh#t. If you have something you could contribute to help this team, or vice versa, reach the finish line and have one stable server release, then that should be ALL that matters. A means to an end, and end to a goal. Noone said you all have to merge groups, or combine code, or even join/rejoin SWGEmu. Just be civil, lend a hand if you have the time or knowledge, and lets all see this singular Pre-CU goal through, together.

And if you are unwilling to accept the apologies, forgiveness, olive branches and heartfelt sentiments this team is handing out? Then don't, and go about your business as usual. You won't be missed by myself, and I imagine many others, if that is your attitude. This project, this GOAL isn't going to quietly go away. Not even Smed could cause either to do so. While we'd love to have you back in the fold in some capacity, NOONE here should have to beg or plead to make it happen. If you aren't going to be part of the solution, then don't be part of the problem either. Just in the past year alone some great great people have come along and contributed to this project...including Kyle, Kellina, Panchjr, Bobius, Ritter just to name a few. This team is strong, with or without you other teams/devs. We don't necessarily need you, we're definitely not going to kiss your arses, we're simply asking you to lay down arms, and help us become ONE COMMUNITY, ONE GOAL.

Its your call. We grew up. Have you?

Only time will tell.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

THAT is what I'm talking about! That is the second best post I have ever seen in this thread (Kyle's being the first ). Nothing could be more true.

O' Right....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my new project, Imperial Reign, over at: http://www.moddb.com/mods/imperial-reign
and http://imperialreign.darkbb.com
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM

VERY good post wow that must have taken both time and thought to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aremathiea View Post
Most of the people that "HATE" the jedi are closet jedi fanbois who want it so bad.
Got rid of the ugly pic's
Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 PM

/agree
/salute djtriplx
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM

Now would be the perfect time to extend here our thanks again to the members of the ANH developement team that aided in stat migration.

I think that the choice of title "A New Hope" is perfect for the chance for the teams to continue to share bits of information and work together, even if by limited means, to achieve a common goal.

My thanks again to the ANH team and to all the great people in the EMU teams for extending their hands in truce.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Banned

sounds super
Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 AM

I've wondered... Why should there be seperate Emulators, when they can unite, and finish the Emulator together?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusazn View Post
I've wondered... Why should there be seperate Emulators, when they can unite, and finish the Emulator together?
omg yea!! I think we should start a post about this!! *end sarcasm mode* muahaha
Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maowan View Post
omg yea!! I think we should start a post about this!! *end sarcasm mode* muahaha
WOW could even imagine such a thing ROFLMAO, starting a thread that about uniting the dev teams, they could have this finished by next week!!!

Sarcasm switch= OFF.

Sory, I just couldnt resist
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Wow.. I didn't say ANYTHING about starting a thread of it. I just said WHY NOT!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Darjani Representative

Well it was in the air I think, I hope it goes through
I always thought the dev teams working togheter would only help this project and It's very nice to see the first steps in this direction.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 AM

I <3 McM / snow from ANH
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Well said, I have been somewhat detached from the SWGEMU for some time now. I've been reading but not posting for months on end. Back when the code was open source and the emulator was distributed freely - I wrote a guide to getting a server up and running, which was consequently stickied.

I have to say at the time I felt a tension about the project on the boards. When the open source aspect of the project was withdrawn, and the forum re-launched I didn't feel comfortable trying to get involved again.

My issue, which is probably the same for many people is, that I lack the technical expertise to contribute code or help analyse packets or build databases. When the time comes that the community requires a guide of some sort writing, even if it's simply a matter of translating a set of technical instruction into easy to follow plain english - then PM me, because I'd be happy to help. I still believe 100% in the project, and I'm looking forwards to it's completion - even if I'm not currently in a position to assist with testing.

The risk of urging a mass of people to become involved and move things forwards faster is that most of that mass of people will not have the required level of expertise to contribute. We can all express our opinions about how the finished project should be, but that's all they are - opions. Most of the player base were unhappy with some aspect of the game at some point or other - even in the golden days of SWG. I suppose the problem is partly that being such a highly anticipated game, people had high expectations, that mostly weren't met. I no longer care about the technicalities of how the game works, for me I'd prefer to stay silent and await the finished product. However it turns out it will be far more enjoyable than the NGE and if throwing my opinions as to how it should go would slow things down or casting aspersions at the direction the development was taking would push the completion date back - I simply wouldn't bother.

You're doing a great job guys, you always were. Don't feel hard about the way the community split - or the bitterness that may have ensued between indviduals or groups. A project of this magnitude with this expection was ALWAYS going to have that problem - you couldn't have stopped it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: