SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Good decision.

As time has gone by people are slowly drifiting away from the project. Currently nothing I have played beats SWG Pre CU. But if the project drifts through 2008 without a release the playerbase is likley to dwindle as more MMORPGs are released.

I applaud any attempt to speed up development at this point. We are all full of gratitude for what you guys do. But the patience of people is as is shown by reduced site activity not infinite.

I would love to see a developer who does nothing by populate areas correctly, especially cities and POI. This would start to give people something to see and a reason to test. I'd run around looking at Biggs and Jabba, Fingrin Da'nn etc. A mob of the week to find would be fun. Just anything to motivate people.

As always grateful and hopeful.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6344

Remember, there is no meat in cake and if we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Im a little confused heh, so say i have a working server now, with just the basic pre cu code, i can use the Core3 code thingy and put it on my already running server? and be updated with core3?

SWGEmu Encourges The"Less QQ More Pew Pew"Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
DO proceed to eat cookies and drink milk. Statistically 83.77% of players are able to deal with 'DB Shock' (TM) better after a serving of milk and cookies.
| SWGEmu FAQ | A Newbie's Guide to SWGEmu! | SWGEmu Client Setup Guide | Launchpad Enhanced | How to be a SWGEmu Beta Tester | Profession Forums | |
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Hey, you guys shouldn't even start to feel sorry, honestly, I've found the slowed progress kinda refreshing. I always feel like a **** when I think that while I'm sitting here, *****ing about what SOE did, while you guys are actually doing something about it, and then you over work yourselves and get all stressed.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

excelent decission, let the public contribute in a more practicle way than financial donations. I bet alot of my fellow students are going to be thrilled to hear this
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM

I'd search through old forum posts for popele who offerd to help you guys in the past and contact them via registration email.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkyman587 View Post
It is not hard to see why interest has fallen. Every one of my friends who has come here to learn more has been met with generally stuck-up behavior. Questions such as.. what can I do, when is it ready, can I test whats there? are met with "ZOMG!!! DIDNT YOU READ STICKY 5 PAGE 14!!!!?" I have no idea what an IRC channel is, I just hop on a computer, keep my hardware up to date, and play games as they come out... SWG being one of the best games/communities I have ever seen. I figured this project would exemplify that quality of people, but not from what I have seen. I check back every other month or so, just to see if anything has been done. My friends now do the same, because we were all scared off by people who figured we should have known every detail from the start. I know a lot of effort has been put into this project, but by the time its all over, even the real SWG will have a larger following and more loyal fan base than this.

No offense, but your friends are lazy. When you register, you are told to read the FAQ. If your friends would have taken five minutes to read the FAQ like they should have, they wouldn't have been met with "stuck-up" behavior. People get angry when they spend an hour and a half explaining how set up IRC and write out a FAQ and some jacknob comes in and asks "What is IRC?" "Can I play" "Is this free? "Whats NGE?"
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Is not answering those questions worth not having a substantial community when the time comes?

Relax.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Sounds like good thinking to me. Keep our talented core coders working on the big issues while the random basement warriors pound out the monotonous stuff.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowraith View Post
Is not answering those questions worth not having a substantial community when the time comes?

Relax.
Redundant questions are annoying. People make the FAQ so there are not 50 threads saying "How do I play?". The forums are to share ideas, experiences, and opinions on and about SWG.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM

"Over the past few months we have noticed the intensity that once existed for SWG has dwindled to a near halt. We feel that this course of action will lead to the survival and continued success of the first and best Pre-Combat Upgrade Star-Wars Galaxies server. Comments? Suggestions? Requests?"

Ultyma,
I think interest has dwindled for the general public because the project is taking a long time to complete (and justifiably so). The die-hard pre-cu fans will always be there...most are probably just lurkers at this point in the process. I think once you guys near completion, you'll see everyone come out to play! I know many people that can't wait to play but have never registered on this site.

Any ideas you have to speed the process, I am certainly in favor!

Last edited by zabrakwith; 11-21-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM

Once the slightest breath that the emu is done hits the net...open zee flood gates
Old 11-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malitixus View Post
Once the slightest breath that the emu is done hits the net...open zee flood gates
Seriously. Every Vet and their mother will at least try the EMU out. Then word will spread that the emu is free and 'hello I can has free game?!!?one!11!1one!'.

Interest has gone down, and I understand why the team made this decision. It is good to recognize that going opensource will help and be proactive
Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 PM

This wasn't the kind of update I was hoping for. I'm not too optimistic about this gutsy move considering past events, and I expect all the e-drama that comes with it to put a strain on morale. However, I hope everyone can take a lesson from history to avoid making the same mistakes as before, and it sounds like this has been taken into consideration.

If the innumerable threads regarding how to connect or play on the test server is annoying to you, how much more so will the threads asking where to download and how to compile the latest release, or asking which C++ book to buy so that after reading chapter 4 one can submit their 30 nested IF statements (missing a semicolon, of course).

Of course, this isn't going to make me run off. I'll still be lurking.
Best wishes on this endeavor, to all who contribute.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

To answer some questions.

Why is this going to be different than core 1?

We've learned from core 1, and believe me. We've been talking about how to prevent a core 1 from ever happening again for almost a month now. This time around there will be QUALITY CONTROL. There will be more testing before ANY revisions are made, and we will make sure that they are quality revisions. We will only accept code from people who are GOOD coders. Not ANYONE, like before.

The problem before with core 1 was that certain members of the dev team DIDN'T LOOK or TEST most of the revisions that were submitted. They just threw them onto the pile. That's why it was so unclean, so hard to work with and SO unstable. Like I said before, not just ANYONE will be able to submit code that will be added to the revision list. We will require that it is tested, and worth while to implement.

We've started DevTeam2, which is sort of a new dev team that will concentrate on features, testing and clearing revisions for final submission. They will be the only ones with the capability and permission to submit final revisions and such to SVN.

What is Engine3?
Engine 3 is the "engine" of core 3. Without engine 3, core 3 is useless. Without core 3, engine3 is still engine 3. It's all of the actual server work, the clustering code, and all of the things that happen beneath the hood to keep core3 running nicely.

I'll try to keep answering questions.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:12 AM

This is great news to hear indeed. A concern I have though is with the competitive other swg emu project's out there. What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

This may sound stupid as I'm not very suave coder/server-client side coding type of person but I was just thinking someone is going to try and claim credit for all the work you guys did..
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: