SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 AM

Everyone knows this is a test server so please stop with the "If you don't like it GTFO"

Would it be reasonable to ask that the anti-SH be turned off when its not actively being "Tweaked"

I for one could live with the days when its on if I knew it was being adjusted.

And who really cares if someone runs too fast on a test server?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixotoo View Post
And who really cares if someone runs too fast on a test server?
Apparently this "community" does, they were crying like little babies because someone unlocked Jedi "FASTER" than the rest of them. They made 4,321,441 threads asking for actions to be taken against "TC speed hackers".

You should really thank them for SPEED free TC.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 AM

Thank them. right. They get Jedi by hacking. They get caught. They get to keep their Jedi and we get rubberbanding and lag which makes it almost impossible to finish the jedi quest ourselves. They get a prize and we get double screwed.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 AM

Frankly, I must agree with the notion 'who cares?' It is a test server, it's gonna be wiped ANYWAYS, who really cares if people speed hack to get around? If anything they're speeding up the testing process as they can get things done faster, which can point out bugs faster. Obviously speed hacking will have to be dealt with before the emu goes live, but it doesn't have to be dealt with NOW. Deal with it after the restructure thing, when lag is minimized and all that other junk. It simply isn't a big deal at the moment and by trying to prevent it you're just hurting the ENTIRE community, and inhibiting testing.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:35 AM

tired of arguing about it

Last edited by Sixotoo; 10-25-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixotoo View Post
Thank them. right. They get Jedi by hacking. They get caught. They get to keep their Jedi and we get rubberbanding and lag which makes it almost impossible to finish the jedi quest ourselves. They get a prize and we get double screwed.
No, we got the prize, we got exactly what "community" was asking for.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
No, we got the prize, we got exactly what "community" was asking for.
I learned long ago, sometimes the communities right, most of the time it's not. But in the end I think we all (or atleast most of us) can agree that this rubberbanding issue IS harming testing, if it takes us hours to do 20 minute tasks simply cuz we keep getting rubberbanded, how are we suppose to test stuff? I, personally, think it'd be best to just remove it, let the speed hackers do what they want, and focus on more important issues. Who really cares if they hack to get ahead? The server's gonna be wiped clean anyways, it's really no different then when blue frogs were around and people got stuff instantly.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 AM

I am trying to get 3km up the road to kill some banthas and it has so far taken me 35 minutes to do one kilometer. Is that necessary? If it is then fair enough, but I suspect that it isn't. Can it not be, "tweaked," so it isn't as severe? I have to say though, a hack free server has to be worth it in the end.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 AM

there's just a few thing I'd like to add and reiterate:

1. As stated a littel while ago, this project is infact run by the developers with the donations of the population. If the population becomes too upset they will remove funding, that is why they should be listend to. Any group of people who holds any power anywhere only does so because the people they hold power over allow them to.

2. From reading about the banned people (One or two got all the publicity, but I highly doubt that is "half a guild") The majority of them are still gone and didn't care about testing or any of us, they are laughing their butts off because so long after their banning people are still experianceing negatives from thier cheating.

3. The community asked for the removal of cheaters, unfortunatly that seemed to come hand in hand with a prevention system that only effects 1 kind of cheating and is detrimental to every's involvement.

Now, there is a system I've seen on other free games that checks the users computer for hacks and third party programs between the launch screen and the game. I don't know anything about it's price but it appears to be setup to run in the exe file before the game itself. Something like that might be usefull here if it's possible to add as a patch so everyone has it to run somewhere before the title screens, no hacks, no viruses, no third party anything except this one program.

If your argument begins with the phrase "I don't think" please stop and do so before making it.

SgtMaj(ret) E'Mokho Aewi
Fate 10
Strike Force Justice
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDiE' View Post
I am trying to get 3km up the road to kill some banthas and it has so far taken me 35 minutes to do one kilometer. Is that necessary? If it is then fair enough, but I suspect that it isn't. Can it not be, "tweaked," so it isn't as severe? I have to say though, a hack free server has to be worth it in the end.
Key phrase, in the end. According to what I've heard the emu isn't even in the beta stages, something as trivial as speed hacking (not even that bad of a hack) really should be the least of anyones worries. There's PLENTY of more important things that need doing, and need testing. We really just do not need the entire server to suffer from a feature that does nothing but inhibit everyones ability to play and test.

When the emu gets nearer to completion, and when everything is running smoothly and is optimized and relativly lag free, THEN you focus on cracking down on these hackers. But for now, just let the speed hackers zip around planets like the flash, it really doesn't hurt anyone, it just allows them to get places faster. Sure it's kind of annoying know they can just zip around while you have to walk, but in the end, who cares? Everything we do is gonna be wiped anyways, so wether you got it this second, or in a couple days, it's all going to be wiped in the end. So I'd rather spend those days NOT being thrown around like a rag-doll because of some unnecessary anti-hack feature.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm not enjoying this feature myself. To test doesn't mean you have to rushing backwards and forwards in the hope of becoming an alpha class jedi, because lets face it thats what everyones really crying about. This game is in test phase, is free and is far better than NGE. Hackers do break games and make it worse for everyone. I am wondering how many epic Q_Qs were being posted on the forums when people were using speeder hacks?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDiE' View Post
Hackers do break games and make it worse for everyone.
But the point is, speed-hackers dont let us run the same hundreds of meters for three or more times or let our characters wait 3min. before using a special etc.

Atm. everyone get punished for the hacks a few ppl used.
Thats why some ppl get a lil angry. And maybe because no one can see the end of this.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM

how exactly do those "speedhacks" cause the lagg?

i dont know crap about this but i would be glad to know
Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 AM

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=71
Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer View Post
thanks
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: