PDA

View Full Version : State of the Community (04/13/08)

Ramsey
04-13-2008, 11:51 PM
State of the Community

The SWGEmu staff strives to be more and more user friendly every day. We have been monitoring the forums, irc, and community members in general and have compiled a list of ways we feel would overall strengthen the bonds between the project staff and community. Changes are necessary to meet our goals and will be made within a short period of time.

The purpose of these changes are all centered around the following goals;
1) Create a better environment for new and existing members on all forms of SWGEmu (TC, IRC, Forums).
2) Engage and keep the community informed on current project operations as often as possible.
3) Speed and enhance the development process by harnessing _all_ community members that have a passion to contribute.

--------

Biweekly Updates have been a great way to update the community on a regular basis about project operations. The problem is, these biweekly updates have become less and less "regular". Something that made it hard to produce a biweekly update was the fact that there was no structure. We had a hard time deciding what to put, and what to leave out. To combat this problem, we have created a Biweekly update outline that we feel the community should expect of us to follow and something we will use to make a BW update more enjoyable to read. The outline is as follows:

Structured Biweeklys:

1) Update Overview: (TOC)
This section of the BW contains a brief overview of what is contained in the update, organized in order by which
they appear within the update. This section may be presented with bullets or in paragraph form.

2) Body:
The body of the Biweekly update will contain major developments that have occurred since the last BW, as
well as the progress of meeting milestones/goals set in previous updates. The Body will usually contain a mix of text
and visual media, depending on what is being updated. Items within the body can pertain to any aspect of the project, such
as community, test center, or code enhancements.

3) Developer Perspective: ("Round Table")
This section will be have comments from _every_ registered developer on the project. Each developer will contribute anywhere
from a few sentences to an autobiography. The idea of this section is to have the community more aware of who
the developers are, what is going on in their e/real lives, and their thoughts on the project's latest update. Other SWGEmu staff/leaders are also welcome to contribute to this section if they choose to do so.

4) Closing:
This section should bring the Biweekly to a close while incorporating the following:
-Small tidbits that did not make it to the body, but the community should be aware of
-Where this update leaves us / What this update means to the project
-What still needs to be done / What is already in progress RIGHT NOW.
-Final comments by the Biweekly poster.

----

Community Rules.

Flaming, rudeness, and other any actions that degrade from the well-being of the community will no longer be tolerated. Inappropriate nicknames, forum logins, and/or signatures will be changed. Anything that violates any kind of law, is not allowed. A fair enforcement of community rules in every form of SWGEmu is the key to maintaining a more welcoming environment.

----

Treatment of New People.

If you do not want to be helpful to new members, then please keep quiet and let others be helpful. We NEED people to be in #swgemusetup, and to be friendly.

Here are some options to select from when a new person asks a question that you may or may not know the answer to:

A) Nicely direct them to the FAQ
B) Direct them to #swgemusetup
C) Answer their question, then goto A and B
D) Offer advice and help, not flames. Direct the person to someone that might be able to help.

SWGEmu, and servers powered by SWGEmu technology, will not succeed if newcomers are not treated with respect. A first impression is everything, and we as a whole (the community & swgemu staff) need to ensure the future of PreCU SWG by welcoming everyone.

-----

IRC.

Is not a free-for-all. #swgemu needs to maintain a respectable level of conversation. Use other rooms for anything that could be considered worse than PG-13.
We also need more people actively signing onto IRC. Signing onto the TC and never talking about the project as a whole is a terrible waste. Connecting with people on IRC leads to bugs being tackled in a much more organized fashion. The community is a team, and no team succeeds without communication.

-----

We hope these changes will enhance the community's experience with the project. This may come as a shock to regular forum trollers, but this project has far outgrown the "corner of the internet". The project is expanding and reaching the minds of people faster than we ever thought possible. To compensate for this fact, we as a community need to act in a more professional and constructive manner.

The next biweekly is in works and being drafted in a private forum RIGHT NOW. Expect it to be out in the near future.

04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
To all those who needed my citation as to why I was Moderating the way I was.

Heres your answer folks :)

Great post Ramsey.

Have a Good Day, and be good people.

Antisnow
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
nice :D!

MrBlonde
04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Excellent, I will continue to do what I have done my entire time here.

Thank you for posting this Ramsey. :D

Sti1garWormrider
Well said, and i ultimately agree with the changes, and understand their importance.

Andewa
Fantastic! We must all do our part!

Serifin
04-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Nice to see a change guys

Vrej
04-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I find it nostalgic that every day SWGEmu feels more and more like the live pre-cu SWG we enjoyed. What really hit the spot was the developer perspective section they added. It is greatly appreciated guys!

Here here to the Emu! :rock:

rohar
04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Ok I promise to be good and keep the good work up guy's

TheA-froChild
04-14-2008, 12:09 AM
;) Goodness Gracious

Iocco7015
04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Great post, very glad to see the huge turn around in the past couple months from the emu team. Might actually start signing on irc server again :)

Thanks for the update Ramsey!

Audune
04-14-2008, 12:19 AM
I tried this Ramsey...and it epically failed.

Or do you not remember all the "Communist!" and "What about first amendment rights" idiots?

Anyways...

04-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I tried this Ramsey...and it epically failed.

Or do you not remember all the "Communist!" and "What about first amendment rights" idiots?

Anyways...

Moderation rights FTW.

In the past few days I've deleted more posts and threads than I've read.

Trust us, this is going to work, because it has to.

Audune
04-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Moderation rights FTW.

In the past few days I've deleted more posts and threads than I've read.

Trust us, this is going to work, because it has to.

Yeah, it HAD to last time I did it.... lost most of my team, IRC was a mess....I got more angry posts like "why you delete my post, cant you discuss like adults" than I EVER should have had to have seen or delt with.

Believe me...as soon as you start saying "Moderators have to do this" and "Obey or be banned" you'll have a ban list longer than the empire state building is tall

Ramsey
04-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Last time we had leaked code circling the internet, people claiming our work as theirs, and people signing on irc to flood until they got their proxy glined.

This time we are attempting to bring a relatively quiet community together and have everyone making some kind of contribution to the project. The posts we delete now are the 3 letter "LOL" posts.

Now and then are different times.

Audune
04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
LOL Yeah minus those things, you'll still have your T-Dawgs of the internet, XD

Soapflake
04-14-2008, 12:43 AM
I can see Audune's point (oh and welcome back), but there has been a lot less drama around here and the community has cooled down quite a bit. I don't think stricter moderating would hurt anything.

nostyleguy
04-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah, it HAD to last time I did it.... lost most of my team, IRC was a mess....I got more angry posts like "why you delete my post, cant you discuss like adults" than I EVER should have had to have seen or delt with.

Believe me...as soon as you start saying "Moderators have to do this" and "Obey or be banned" you'll have a ban list longer than the empire state building is tall

while its obvious power like this can be abused, it's also obvious that the moderating efforts taken up until now haven't worked. i agree its a fine line to walk, but it needs to be done.

ZenDrifter
04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Ok I'll stop trolling lol Bad mouthing Jedi, and ignore the urge to point out that a new post is like the 1 Bahjillionth post on said topic :) But I still wont click links from any of Megatrons posts.. They always lead you to bad mojo.. :P

Rauce
04-14-2008, 02:26 AM
excellent!

Aeglos
04-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Wow, what a great post: "Be helpful (this is how you do it), be nice (this you kinda should know how to do already ;) ) and these are all the cool things we'll do for you in return, and with your help!"
I'm constantly amazed by the even-handedness and level-headedness of the team leaders. We're not worthy!

rebel24
04-14-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm excited, are we getting an update now that we the criteria is specified?

Ekaika
04-14-2008, 03:13 AM
It's bi-monthly guys...do it for me.

bongandbeer
04-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Inappropriate nicknames,.... is mine ok? i hope so, i never did anything bad =/
thanks in advance for an answer

bugreporter
04-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Deleted.

Ekaika
04-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Wow. Flashbacks now.

Ashur
04-14-2008, 05:03 AM
i for one never needed the updates, all that was important to me was knowing that you guys are hard at work on this, and i never expected more from you guys.

but i do understand that showing off your progress is important to give hope to the community, and i believe most ppl here will do their best now to help with the community.

Max
04-14-2008, 05:08 AM
i for one never needed the updates, all that was important to me was knowing that you guys are hard at work on this, and i never expected more from you guys.

but i do understand that showing off your progress is important to give hope to the community, and i believe most ppl here will do their best now to help with the community.
Yeah, I also didn't need the update. But thanks for getting people's attentions and allowing them to see the clear definitions of what is and isn't acceptable. The new BI-MONTHLY update (as ekaika said, BiWeekly is twice a week) system looks pretty cool. Thanks for putting it together.

What I do sometimes is send a template PM to people who are listed as "newest member" giving them links to important guides and FAQs and inviting them to introduce themselves and ask questions. So far I haven't seen any of them post or reply, but meh... free world.

Ekaika
04-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Because they're all alts or abandoned avatar : /

shmlaurence
04-14-2008, 05:53 AM
:D Hopefully we all can follow these rule and don't cause problems...

Max
04-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Because they're all alts or abandoned avatar : /
That's quite depressing. If you want to play the emu, you should be interested in the community.

Hero164
04-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Truly excellent

I am incredibly impressed as several people had posted about bi weekly updated becoming 'less regular' as you put it. You guys saw, identified, admitted and are resolving the problem.

I could ask for nothing more.

Kudos to you.

Ekowraith
04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Be nice or we'll censor you! :)

<3 The SWG Emu team

Kasshic Stalker
04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Be nice or we'll censor you! :)

<3 The SWG Emu team

Shouldn't really be any reason not to be nice though should there...

smeghead71
04-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, it costs nothing to be civil.

I don't know about earlier times here, but I think it has been mostly good since I signed on.

Remember people, the more new members that stay now, the more you can kill & loot when the game is ready !! Mwahahaha !!

Legoklas
04-14-2008, 09:04 AM
cool, actually been looking forward to this :)
ALot of members tend to flame those poor newbies, and that wont do ous any good >_<

NICE TBH!!

Timbab
04-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Great news! Did you delete all of the posts in Off Topic? Shows them in Thread count but nothing is there.

Can't wait to see that update =)

Xenomorph
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Very nice, will be interesting to see if those "flamers" actually change their habbit though.

Ekowraith
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Shouldn't really be any reason not to be nice though should there...

No, but deleting peoples' posts won't change the underlying attitudes, only make people bitter. It's treating the symptoms, not the illness.

Good luck treating elitism.

Kasshic Stalker
04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
No, but deleting peoples' posts won't change the underlying attitudes, only make people bitter. It's treating the symptoms, not the illness.

Good luck treating elitism.

This is how i used to feel... but then i realised these people are doing US favours. We don't deserve them, and they are putting all their free time into making our gaming lifes happy again. The least we can do is be civil on their forums...

Freedon
04-14-2008, 10:02 AM
That's quite depressing. If you want to play the emu, you should be interested in the community.

You should. However some people were wanting to be a big part of the community and there was more flames coming out of the wood work than could've possibly been imagined.

Meanless to say, this has been a long time in coming, and frankly has been needed.

Now, lets hope, that the devs can focus -less- on community relations and -more- on getting the emu in order. I for one am anticipating their finish and even bought 2 (yes 2!) new comps to handle everything for the emu system-wise (1/2 the planets on one comp, other half on the other =).

Kudos folks! And we all look forward to our next update!

*takes the time to start logging in again*

rekoil
04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
good stuff, so many people are put off reading the forums and joining IRC because of only a handfull of people.

hope this changes things,

too a more mature SWGEMU! /cheers

Hobino
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice one fellas, I am glad that this issue of community is being seen too.

I was put off SWGEMU a good few months ago by a certain moderator(s) that will remain unnamed, acting in what I thought was an extremly unprofessional way, using their powers as moderators/admins or whatnot in inappropriate ways.

EDIT: Ekowraith, I most definetly get you there. Elitism is very strong around here.

Kellina
04-14-2008, 10:38 AM
SWEET, Nice Job, Keep up the Good work.

David
04-14-2008, 11:14 AM
i love ramsey

Dame
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
i am very impressed by this, this a big step in changing the way a lot of people view the entire swgemu project, this imo was one of the biggest weaknesses it had, hopefully this will point it in the right direction for a great community.

toilet_duck
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
These changes will hopefully zero everyone in on the ultimate goal here: a fully-functional SWGEmu server release, with a great community to support it along the way. If everyone could contribute in some helpful way, this project could really move forward quickly. Contributions do not necessarily come in the form of coding, cash donations, etc. You can contribute by helping community members, or testing features on the official test server... There are many ways to actually be a useful member of this community.

Draconaria
04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Well as im only a week old member I must admit this IS refreshing to see.
I joined the forums as soon as heard about the project, understandably I was very excited about the project, and being able to play what was and still is my first love as far as MMORPG's are concerned, that was until the cu hit, I believe whole heartedly in the cause and will help in any way that I can, what you are doing here guys is great.
I was however more than a tad perturbed once I started reading the forums, they were full of backbiting and disrespect when it really wasn't called for or deserved, and what I couldn't work out was why, we all want the same thing we are here for the same goal and the majority of us for the same result, the resurrection of SWG the way it was before the CU, if we all stick together and work towards the same goal things will go ALOT smoother.
I know I haven't been here that long and some of you may think that I haven't yet earned the right to comment on any part of the community, but this was my first impression and it is good to see that the DEVS, and the forum staff alike are taking steps to change things forum side, as well as keeping up all the great work they are doing on the emulator, Hats off to you all.

Dr Crimson
04-14-2008, 01:24 PM
This a change for the better.
Not many people would recognize this and fewer would make the change.

But at least this was not as bad as the Old boards. You had a ban board and would move the rule breakers post and all the Admins Flame. then it was ended with You take 3.
which ment take 3 days of suspension.
To the lurker as myself this is comedy.
but the forum was getting very restless.

So I end with Great job on handling all the past issues and getting this forum up to a great standard.

Dr. Edmond Crimson Buff Doc, Sw, DE, Pistoleer Extrodinaire. Mayor of Crimson City . (Wanderhome)

ebanutik
04-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I get what they are trying to do, and it's a good thing for sure, but i haven't seen much of "rude behaviour". Certainly it's a LOT less than on other forums.
Great news about new Bi-W updates structure.

goldcrud
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Awesome ideas devs, I really like the idea for structured Bi-updates. This will bring more organization to the emu and make it a much more enjoyable read. Also I'd get on IRC but I'm in a college dorm where they block the ports for IRC :(.

Davickk
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Nice one fellas, I am glad that this issue of community is being seen too.

I was put off SWGEMU a good few months ago by a certain moderator(s) that will remain unnamed, acting in what I thought was an extremly unprofessional way, using their powers as moderators/admins or whatnot in inappropriate ways.

EDIT: Ekowraith, I most definetly get you there. Elitism is very strong around here.

Well I couldn't really understand this guy, but I guess its along the point I want to prove. Well as much as Id HATE to say this, Iv been banned a couple times for literally no reason. not saying by who but I mean I don't think the moderators should ban people for no reason ( Power trip? ) and I see it happen not all the time but occasionally, and since we are discussing change I thought I should just throw that out there that moderators or people that have power in this community should not abuse it just because they are getting annoyed, even if the person is not doing something wrong such as saying something stupid. But ya know just shining some light on that issue :)

pie eater
04-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Great post and I agree we need to act more professional.

Tow'lin
04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Nice to see this issue addressed. Forum modding seems to be improving, because i haven't seen one post that was profound in quite a while.

Also looking forward to the bi-monthly update! Keep up the great work!

Regards,
Tow'lin Tow

CaptJones
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Damn, I thought it'd be kickass update :O

Lion84
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
All good.

Good luck with the future of the project devs, mods and fans. :)

Ramsey
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
We aren't out to randomly delete posts or censor peoples ideas, theres a fine line between reckless and responsible moderation - and sometimes people see them as the same. Just because we are putting more effort into keeping the forum/irc clean does NOT mean we have switched to a communist-like rule.

webbwbb
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
But at least this was not as bad as the Old boards. You had a ban board and would move the rule breakers post and all the Admins Flame. then it was ended with You take 3.

I really miss the "The Squelched" forum... :(

Jlane
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Been waiting for this update.

One of the best IMO

Ekaika
04-14-2008, 06:02 PM
We aren't out to randomly delete posts or censor peoples ideas, theres a fine line between reckless and responsible moderation - and sometimes people see them as the same. Just because we are putting more effort into keeping the forum/irc clean does NOT mean we have switched to a communist-like rule.

Well, that's good to hear. We'll see how it plays out. Just keep it pg-13 as you said, and don't mod it all the way down to rated-G.

Jennero
04-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Sweet, this should brings things together a lot closer.

apowerr
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I think this is a good move for the project and commuinity. If you're someone new and are excited about being able to play pre-cu, if course you want to make a 'OMFG HAI GUIZE YOU ROCK I LOVE YOU HOW I R INSTALL?' thread. Having a community that is friendly and attracts new members will give us a better pre-cu experience in the long run.

Also, while I realize that the SWGEmu Dev's have no obligation to provide us with updates, I'm glad that they are going to be more frequent and structured.

You guys are fantastic, keep up the great work :)

TankGun
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Nice job guys.

pre-cu ftw
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
good thread

always nice to see devs wanting to interact with community

¿SnùffleKítty?
04-14-2008, 08:34 PM
These are all wonderful ideas.

But why stop there?

We should round all of the Flamers up, and put them into camps!

;D

-Snuffles

Kasshic Stalker
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
These are all wonderful ideas.

But why stop there?

We should round all of the Flamers up, and put them into camps!

;D

-Snuffles

That would include you...:|

LordSniper
04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
very nice

Ovil0
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the update ramsey, hopefully this keeps some ofthe constant flamers in line or discourages them from flaming the living crap out of newcomers to the server! ;)

StormZ
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Its good to know that the community leaders are striving to have better communication with the community and to enforce good forum rules. Updates like these are just as good as new feature updates.

SoapSud
04-14-2008, 09:11 PM
A plausible move indeed,

very good. :)

Vastor
04-14-2008, 09:46 PM
A very robust idea! I will definitely work on my grammar and try to be more friendly to people around here. Keep up the great work everyone, and I agree that this project has been getting the attention of more and more people every minute.

Pake
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
i love ramsey

I love lamp.

But seriouly, I think this will help the community in thje end. I remember back in the day when the flaming was rediculus and a similar policy was introduced. It helped a lot.

Serpentkaa
04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
It's good to see that the community is moving forward and away from flaming :) Thank you Community Monitors for all the hard work in advance.

Kaglaaz
04-15-2008, 12:55 AM
I've been a lurker for quite a while. The last time I was here the devs were only at the point of being able to spawn the player and not much else let alone what we have right now.

I do have a small complaint that could turn into a suggestion. I've only just logged in a couple times and while trying out a few things I made the mistake of going Imperial (my character on Tarq was Imp so I wanted the logo over my head) so here I am, essentially a newbie with barely any gear on and suddenly I'm killed multiple times. A pain to be sure, and I feel far from welcome at this point... It'd be nice to have Imperial and Rebel "On leave" as I'm not interested in PvP right now but I'd like my faction over my head!

I want to help get things moving along and have a fully functional game. But I'm noticing a lack of supplies to actually create anything. What am I missing? PM me if you'd rather than answering here. I had very little to do with crafting in the Avatars (my guild) on Tarquinas, I'd just hand over stuff to the guild and let our experts take care of it for the good of the guild.

Arrin
04-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Great post to bad thats not gonna happen.

So now we're working on keeping the community that is dwendling..
How about we just get the game done, after 3 years I'm starting to lose patience.

Ekaika
04-15-2008, 03:20 AM
/rubhands ooh.. Since we can't be sarcastic or raw anymore, I'll take a little pleasure from watching posts get deleted.

You guys should enable an infraction system that can be viewed publically. At least we can still track something. Since Megatron has achieved godly sainthood, we'll have to see who steps up.

Kasshic Stalker
04-15-2008, 03:29 AM
I had an infraction on me yesterday... though it was lifted pretty quikcly :D

_DM_
04-15-2008, 06:36 AM
It will be great to see on swgemu.com php server status and current REV used on TC.
Great features to make community more friendly :)

Max
04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
It will be great to see on swgemu.com php server status and current REV used on TC.
Great features to make community more friendly :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I don't think this was mentioned?? :|

vorkragresh
04-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello All,
I was fortunate enough first to have beta tested SWG and secondly to have found this great site now that the game I loved is gone. I saw that they were asking for item stats and I don't know if it would be of any use, but I do have an original preorder copy of the Prima's Official SWG strategy guide that has Lots and Lots of tables in it. If this would be of any help at all I would be happy to scan, and or make a new database with all the tables in it.

Vor Kragresh
Master Creature Handler

Legoklas
04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I don't think this was mentioned?? :|
LOl :P
Think we all know what he meant :)

Roidrage667
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
What's up with the folks denying the change? This is merely a new phase to the EMU community. It has happened multiple times before... I can only remember there being 2 failures in the past when it came to community relations.

Look at where we are now, the community itself has started to moderate themselves in a more kindly fashion. What's wrong with making it official and policy?

Nothing?

Right.

Halifax
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
You can argue that it's censorship, but we all know the legal ramifications of that. However, to not question anything is ignorance, and you will not become enlightened that way.

vorta
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
This update was great put a big smile on my face :)

Ekowraith
04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
What's up with the folks denying the change? This is merely a new phase to the EMU community. It has happened multiple times before... I can only remember there being 2 failures in the past when it came to community relations.

Look at where we are now, the community itself has started to moderate themselves in a more kindly fashion. What's wrong with making it official and policy?

Nothing?

Right.
The government stepping in to regulate society's words?

Ter
04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
"****" is allowed in PG-13. :]
<3 Megatron

^ by **** I mean the Four letter F word of doom.

cable-odinson
04-15-2008, 04:59 PM
really nice way of structuring things ramsey and keeping the SWG emu, friendly yet professional.

/thumbs up

tonkatuff
04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I think this is a good move for the project and commuinity. If you're someone new and are excited about being able to play pre-cu, if course you want to make a 'OMFG HAI GUIZE YOU ROCK I LOVE YOU HOW I R INSTALL?' thread. Having a community that is friendly and attracts new members will give us a better pre-cu experience in the long run.

Also, while I realize that the SWGEmu Dev's have no obligation to provide us with updates, I'm glad that they are going to be more frequent and structured.

You guys are fantastic, keep up the great work :)

I disagree. Do they have to give us updates? Nope. Are they obligated to? Yep. With no updates, the community loses interest. Without the community there are no donations. With no donations there isnt as good a server. The feedback by the community is valuable. Without the community there would be no Emulator.

This isnt a one way street. We should be greatful for the emulator Development team, but they should also be greatful for us.

I am glad that they are going to moderate the forums and the community more closely. I get really tired of the e-peen contests. I dont care if you were full template Jedi, you are no better than anyone here. So kudos for this update. I do hope that the moderators are "moderated" by the Devs so this new found power does not become abused.

Emerzon
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
well ive been inactive in the forums over the last few months, but after reviewing the initial post I think it is a great thing to work on bringing the community a little bit more together by preventing the ultimte flaming of the newer players. Keep up the great work team.

Kasshic Stalker
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
"****" is allowed in PG-13. :]
<3 Megatron

^ by **** I mean the Four letter F word of doom.

this is random...

Tephros
04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
this is random...

agreed

04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
He's just talking about an IRC conversation / moderation.

Galilee
04-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I just recently got this up and running. Although there were a few helpful people, most either ignored my questions or had something sarcastic to say. Good to see your making an effort to change the culture!

04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I just recently got this up and running. Although there were a few helpful people, most either ignored my questions or had something sarcastic to say. Good to see your making an effort to change the culture!

Next time you have a question, don't hesitate to PM me.

TAfirehawk
04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
This is great stuff....the forums need to mature just like ingame is evolving and maturing. But ingame only gets better with GOOD community feedback to the Team.

I know from the Civ IV BtS project that I manage, most of the fixes and requests for the fine details comes from OUTSIDE the Team....because the Team doesn't just "play" the game, and it is the same with the SWGEmu too :)

Roidrage667
04-15-2008, 09:38 PM
The government stepping in to regulate society's words?

Who owns these boards? Who owns (ELECTS) the government?

Apples and oranges.

Legoklas
04-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Next time you have a question, don't hesitate to PM me.

Whats SWGemu? :?
:D:D

Sasscreech
04-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Although the flames were always fun to read, I agree with the decision to make the forums more friendly. I /salute the devs and the new mods, and wish them the best of luck in cleaning up and keeping the message boards in a tidy state. I'll also try and help the newer members out more frequently.

badfish
04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Great stuff :) And I do think most of the community is keen to participate and help however we can even though some us have no programming knowledge so might not be of much use. I myself know little programming and so just help by playing on the TC sometimes and donating money sometimes.

Profit
04-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Change can be good and all, but I am still a greedy friggen Rodian. :)

Legoklas
04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Although the flames were always fun to read, I agree with the decision to make the forums more friendly. I /salute the devs and the new mods, and wish them the best of luck in cleaning up and keeping the message boards in a tidy state. I'll also try and help the newer members out more frequently.

Funny 2 watch?
I kinda hated that, only ones who pissed me off was those who made 25 threads about questions that are in the FAQ.
And they couldnt just search the forums either, even tho both admins and players almost flamed him to death and directed him to the FAQs.
I wanted to kill them....
But thats then! This is now :)
*CareBear Love*

Baak'Cha
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Being the nubus maximus that I am, I'm not sure if this would be the place to post this, but I've found the in-game community to be very helpful and friendly. I haven't been on a single time and seen Barrens chat.

Thai-Fyter
04-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I think there should be a list of frequent players or forum readers whos IGN, e-mail, and/or instant messaging name.

This could help in a sense that the new players will always have someone who is dedicated to helping them instead of the flames and sarcasm...

When I started this game I had no help for the first whole week. No credits, no gear, nothing... This game can be played alone... For the most part... BUT! It's alot more fun with friends...

All I can say for now until the finished EMU is launched is that I am here to help the newbies :D

Thai-Fyter

Astalas
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
glad to see something finally being said about this... people aren't very nice to noobs around here at all... and thats probably a generous understatement...

Isshyn
04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
helping new players is one of the best things i experienced in swg. doing small things like giving them a pistol or providing advice about templates really helps. i'm pretty sure 90% of the people here will always do that towards new players, its human nature...right? lol

Tow'lin
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd just like to point out the fact that the flamers were probably bullied in their childhood and are now taking out the internal pain on others.

I'd also like to point out that everyone was a n00b once in their life. I'm sure everyone had that one kickass friend on swg who helped you out when you first started. Be that friend!

/endDrPhil

Regards,
Tow'lin Tow

Ekaika
04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Yep, like I've said helping a noob was great because more than half the time I'd end up with a great new guildy.

Tothix
04-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I always liked helping Noobs. Yet unless they were to stupid or annoying to teach, then I put my tip 1 macro on them when they insulted me or annoyed me beyond reasoning (it was funny to see them run in circles yelling "Stop! Please stop!"). :D

Pake
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I always liked helping Noobs. Yet unless they were to stupid or annoying to teach, then I put my tip 1 macro on them when they insulted me or annoyed me beyond reasoning (it was funny to see them run in circles yelling "Stop! Please stop!"). :D

Tip 1 macro? What did that do?

Ter
04-16-2008, 08:58 PM
As to my post, I was saying how #swgemu is no longer allowed to say it's favorite word. and I appreciate everything thats happening with the emulator don't get me wrong. I mean, I don't think many people are keen with our almighty new moderator.

RedheartTempest
04-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Well I stand with the agreement on this issue. I mean swearing is just telling people that your not mature enough to use correct english language. Granted people get mad and swear out of anger. But to just curse left and right...that is just immature.

But then I have been labeled as Bleedingheart in the irq. lol. Thanks I like it.

Thank you Devs for your time in this game. A game that many people will grow to love and for those who miss that love of the game will get back because of you.

Ter
04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
It's a game. The variety of language, and attitudes you found in #swgemu, were what made it such a fun place. Regardless if I'm in the minority here.

jainie
04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the update on the updates Ramsey. I know I always look forward to hearing about even the slightest bit of progress being made. Keep up the great work and I look forward to the update's release.

CitizenErased
04-17-2008, 12:52 AM
this is good to hear about, ill be glad to see the updates and the community improving, becoming more professional. i agree swearing doesnt do anything to help image and only makes you look immature and maybe unable to control yourself. the choice of ones words can make a huge difference in how they appear to others.

EVILJUDE
04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Tip 1 macro? What did that do?

probably tipped the person 1 credit over and over. I could foresee it being quite annoying.....

Legoklas
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM
probably tipped the person 1 credit over and over. I could foresee it being quite annoying.....

Lol got to try that xD

Ekaika
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Ahh griefing...pre-cu at its finest...or lowest, however you look at it :D

Ekaika
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm used to it /shrug

He's only hurting himself anyway so meh.

Ekaika
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Love the new sig TA :D

But back OT ---> Two updates so close together is secksay!

Kellina
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Aye TRue that!

TAfirehawk
04-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Love the new sig TA :D

But back OT ---> Two updates so close together is secksay!

:D

I stole some of my sig from....Kellina :eek:

¿SnùffleKítty?
04-17-2008, 08:02 PM
That would include you...:|

o,0

What?!

I'm...

But...

I've only ever flamed one person on this forum, and even that was only a single post.

You need to get your facts straight.

-Mrow

Grija
04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
lets stop pointing fingerz plix plox

Kellina
04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Heh thats why it looked so pwnage :P meh mine sucks still needs more work.

:D

I stole some of my sig from....Kellina :eek:

ocara_debrew
04-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I think it is quite amazing how one game can make such an impact on our lives.

Kellina
04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I think it is quite amazing how one game can make such an impact on our lives.

Aye this is true.

ocara_debrew
04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I mean most would think that once a game gets re-vamped into something thats total junk that the people would move on...but obviously not

nothin better than the good ol' days *wanders off into space*

Really appreciate whats goin on here. Just givin up my 2 cents =)

Ekaika
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey, every little donation helps, even two cents ;)

edit* crap now it looks like I got a triple-post on my record! lol

Samcuu
04-17-2008, 10:06 PM
dood finally, im glad that people will now be forced to treat "noobs" better...I work in a customer service job, and if people there were treated in the same manner as they are here, my company would have gone out of business...ahhh yes if it were the old community i would be waiting for the countless number of douche bags to say = "mcdonalds will never go out of business!!! lolzzzzz..." but im not too concerned now :D

Jongo
04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I've been watching the progress of the EMU for quite some time now. I cannot believe the amount of professionalism I am seeing from the SWGEmu team. I don't mean that in a derogatory way either. I'm simply amazed at the level of leadership that is being shown by you guys.

Keep up the fantastic work.

daxxvacine
04-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I am so damn excited!!

Crafting is my favorite part of SWG and to see its development is beyond words.

Nice work!

Kodar
04-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Hmm, sounds like I've come to the right place.

Max
04-19-2008, 03:49 AM
Hmm, sounds like I've come to the right place.
That you most certainly have. If it's pre-cu you're after, this is the place to be.

Kasshic Stalker
04-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Im all for cleaning up the forums. But why is it that any thread with just the smallest hint of a debate gets instantly locked? Why are we now treated like infants? Sure...delete posts if they become insulting but a simple debate does not need to be instantly closed on the grounds that it might make us 'over-excited'... funnily many of us are adults now.

TAfirehawk
04-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I think you have seen proper "moderation" in the Corr Program Poll thread. Probably 15-20 posts removed but the thread stays open.

Ekaika
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
It's always the same one or two people that get manic flametarded anyway. Hopefully they'll learn or just stop posting.

Kasshic Stalker
04-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Im happy with flames getting deleted. But a friendly debate... it's just a little bit too much censorship IMO

Ekaika
04-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I actually hadn't noticed that, maybe I missed it The Corr debate last night got cleaned up but we all know why : /

A lot of this is new for the project, let's give it a chance to settle in imo.

TAfirehawk
04-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Im happy with flames getting deleted. But a friendly debate... it's just a little bit too much censorship IMO

Absolutely and when you feel that happens, let folks know.

Kasshic Stalker
04-20-2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10154

decided to be closed...Please dont patronise me firehawk.

TAfirehawk
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10154

decided to be closed...Please dont patronise me firehawk.

It is not ment to patronise....I don't read every thread....but I do have access to the Admin Forum so am willing to pass along complaints, just as I will do in the Prof Rep Program :)

EDIT: I looked at the thread and while OT forums are nice, I can't say I care what gets discussed or closed as I don't read a single one, sorry.

Kasshic Stalker
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
It is not ment to patronise....I don't read every thread....but I do have access to the Admin Forum so am willing to pass along complaints, just as I will do in the Prof Rep Program :)

Cheers mate ;)

Zaff
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for taking on the responsibility of making the community act more like a normal MMO community. That's not an easy task. But it is necessary if we are going to restore a community like we had Pre-CU. Not to mention the fact that there are people out there like my wife who would have made good testers if they hadn't asked the wrong question on IRC, which was understandably irritating, and solicited a negative response. Unfortunately the flame the noob response converted her from gearing up to be a serious tester who knows how to systematically work on breaking code, to a casual troller for the past six months. You are making the right move for the future of SWGemu.

Serpentkaa
04-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for taking on the responsibility of making the community act more like a normal MMO community. That's not an easy task. But it is necessary if we are going to restore a community like we had Pre-CU. Not to mention the fact that there are people out there like my wife who would have made good testers if they hadn't asked the wrong question on IRC, which was understandably irritating, and solicited a negative response. Unfortunately the flame the noob response converted her from gearing up to be a serious tester who knows how to systematically work on breaking code, to a casual troller for the past six months. You are making the right move for the future of SWGemu.

This is true enough. Here's our opportunity to cultivate better beta testers. Can anyone who is very experienced testing games to the breaking point write a short FAQ or Guide to testing the SWGEmu? Maybe have several people collaborate on it? I am more than willing to try.

Here's my idea for sections to discuss:
What actions and responses to look for, in general;
What mechanics to look at, in general;
How to report;
The most efficient report form structure;
Where to ask questions for specific subjects, etc. (Maybe have a subsection for links to each profession coorespondent's FAQ and testing concerns, irc addresses, chat info)

Then maybe put the finished document in the main faq for easy location by newbies.

CharAznable
04-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Sounds good!

waa
04-21-2008, 11:59 PM
there are many "quiet" members of the community who fully support and understand the reasoning...

Keep up the great work...

Aremathiea
04-22-2008, 03:50 AM
any changes are a welcome sight. I almost gave up on the bi weekly status updates. /cheers!