PDA

View Full Version : [NOVA] Deadlock 2/16/09

Ekaika
02-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi folks,

The server is deadlocked.

A deadlock means to you that Status shows UP but you cannot login. Think of it like a frozen PC. It needs to be reset.

Our guys that are responsible for resetting the server and handling the crash logs are in Europe. When they wake up, they'll likely reset the server and address the crash. Please try to be patient, we're in development, and NOVA is a test center.

Until then. hang in there! Come hang out in IRC or Listen to EMURadio.

<3

Zadokk
02-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Say it ain't so!

Europe?!

Lubbe
02-16-2009, 09:04 PM
A common question.
What is deadlock?
In computer science, deadlock refers to a specific condition when two or more processes are each waiting for each other to release a resource, or more than two processes are waiting for resources in a circular chain (see Necessary conditions). Deadlock is a common problem in multiprocessing where many processes share a specific type of mutually exclusive resource known as a software, or soft, lock. Computers intended for the time-sharing and/or real-time markets are often equipped with a hardware lock (or hard lock) which guarantees exclusive access to processes, forcing serialization. Deadlocks are particularly troubling because there is no general solution to avoid (soft) deadlocks.

This situation may be likened to two people who are drawing diagrams, with only one pencil and one ruler between them. If one person takes the pencil and the other takes the ruler, a deadlock occurs when the person with the pencil needs the ruler and the person with the ruler needs the pencil, before he can give up the ruler. Both requests can't be satisfied, so a deadlock occurs.

The telecommunications description of deadlock is a little stronger: deadlock occurs when none of the processes meet the condition to move to another state (as described in the process's finite state machine) and all the communication channels are empty. The second condition is often left out on other systems but is important in the telecommunication context.

Thanks to Wiki.

mujadaddy
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the news.

:(

Wehhhookiee
02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
/agree

Thank you for the post. :)

Brane Ded
02-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Thank you, have not encountered this before and was checking everything to do with the net client side here.

Ekaika
02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Lubbe. I should have linked the definition for those interested.

Say it ain't so!

Europe?!

Cute :D

RazzXor
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the news, right now its 2:44 A.M. in London, soo...hang in there folks, not for awhile. Unless they are early-birds.

ArcAngel3
02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks much for the update, and thanks once again for all the work that everyone has put into this project. It's a really nice break from the corporate culture that tends to make a mess of other MMOs.

I'm a professor at a College of Social Sciences, and when I'm taking a break from preparing lectures, grading papers etc., I like to pop in and test things out. It's a privilege to be a part of the process.

Jer
02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Listen to Emuradio: http://www.loudcity.com/stations/emuradio/ Irc channel: #Emuradio :>

KillShock
02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Call 'em up ;)

I'm sure they'd love to be woken up to try pacify the hundreds of angry emu hordes!

inyri
02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
They deserve their beauty sleep just as much as the rest of us. ;)

Lubbe
02-16-2009, 10:53 PM
They deserve their beauty sleep just as much as the rest of us. ;)

I noticed you live near the server. Can't you just push the "reset" button :)

Buddy Archon
02-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I wanna play!

inyri
02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
I noticed you live near the server. Can't you just push the "reset" button :)Near is relative. There are few things I would brave Chicago traffic for, and that's not one of them. :p

mujadaddy
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Near is relative. There are few things I would brave Chicago traffic for, and that's not one of them. :p

OK, whatcha got then? :)

Morial Tomiras
02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Why are they sleeping? They should be up addressing the problem at hand.. FIX THE SERVER BECAUSE I WANT TO /backhand something!

Lubbe
02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Why are they sleeping? They should be up addressing the problem at hand.. FIX THE SERVER BECAUSE I WANT TO /backhand something!

Because people are sleeping in Europe at the moment. People are waking up now. Its 06:38 AM CENTRAL EUROPE. I better go to bed now...

Silly Europeans!.... :|

Ratchet' Autobot
02-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks, I thought that was the problem, so i just left it be, but it's nice to be informed when I checked the forums again. So thanks again, I am looking forward to testing the new crafting proffs on the blue frogs when it's back up agian.

I hope that means that they added new schem's, but I guess I'll wait and see.

Sikes
02-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks for this update, I was like oh great what I do. Thanks for all the time and effort put in.

Jewpwnage
02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
just when i manage to donload and set up everything.....:(

RazzXor
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, er, nice name there ^

TheAnswer
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
http://mcs109.bu.edu/site/files/deadlock/citydeadlock.jpg

Dame
02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
WAY TO GO BUS! bus = epic fail

edit: wtf is that building in the background... O.O

double edit: im now going to go play that gridlock car game thingy, where you move the cars around to get the red one out?

Lubbe
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Omg is that Spain? Traffic deadlock.

Ekaika
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I think TA summarized it quite nicely. And since we've moved past this particular days issue, I'll lock this one.