PDA

View Full Version : Further Downtime 3/25/09

Oru
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Bad news folks. The hard drive in the new box yielded it's soul finally. After a while the host realized it should really be replaced so we are waiting it to be up and running again. We will have to reinstall everything on to it so it might take a day or two.

Downtime Begins: 3/25/09 6PM EST

Rough Estimate of Completion: 3/27/09 8AM (arbitrary guess)

Sorry again for all the inconveniences..

Have a good day!

Kaimerai
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Doh!

Thanks for the heads up!

Time to do some other things for a while then :D

djolovicl
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Well at list it will fix all the corrupt data problems. Its all for a good cause. We will be here waiting to make new toons and get back to testing...

One again, you are doing great work and we are 100% behind you!!!

Ratchet' Autobot
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
One again, you are doing great work and we are 100% behind you!!!

all this meens is that he's going to stay in a position to get out should anythnig bad happen.

X = Dj
O = you
D = danger

X ----- O - D
X = :eek:
O = :emperor:

<-X ---------------------------------------------------------------- OD

LOL jk

seriously though, thanks for the update, and you guys are doing a great job.

One question though, does this meen another DB wipe?

djolovicl
03-25-2009, 01:28 PM
all this meens is that he's going to stay in a position to get out should anythnig bad happen.

There is a saying in my country: Don't go ass first in to a room where d***s are measured.

Sorry about this, back on topic please

Ratchet' Autobot
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
d***s

trying to figure out what this ment

Shoryuu
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Bad news folks. The hard drive in the new box yielded it's soul finally. After a while the host realized it should really be replaced so we are waiting it to be up and running again. Have to reinstall everything on to it so it might take a day or two. Sorry again for all the inconveniences..

Its all good, I wonder if the data was corrupted by a dying hard drive :D

redship1
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
hurray for progress !!!!

Kayliaah
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Ahh hard drives :rolleyes:
I still have my old ones next to me, what a piece of crap !

A lot of issues these days, bad sign. :eek:

Don't let go!
Thanks for the unfortunate update.

zhoed
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
heh, I just re-installed SWG today so I could have a look at how the EMU was coming on - guess I'm just lucky huh :)

Glad to see things have been progressing, can't wait to get in for some testing :cool:

BankyEdwards
03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
almost sounds like the move to Denver has been a mistake. maybe a new box in the Chicago Center would have been better. Hind site 20/20 and all. I mean seriously is SoE running this Denver site? It has been less that steller so far. But lets hope /crossesfingers that the new HDD fixes all that ails us.

4NIC8R
03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Don't think it's that bad Banky. Hard-drives are like cars. Some will last for years and have no issues, others spend more time in the shop than in the garage. You just never know which one you get when you pick it out.

Joshino
03-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Well aslong as were going forwards... this a wipe btw? probably a dumb question but oh well...
not like I had anything of value ^^

blackrainemax
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Glad it is something that can be fixed. More people just said Thanks and not CRY. In hind site SoE NEVER gave you this much info...

Just my 3 cents. But the devs do work for free.

Devs keep up the good work.

Lubbe
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm glad we get a new one, should be much less issues now :)

I wish we had SSD hard drives, they never die.

Akroma
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
most likely is, but i can hope for the best.... damn loosing my 7k of reactive gas =(.

But hey, all is worth it in the end, and to get this game moving, thanks for the heads up.

Joshino
03-25-2009, 06:39 PM
most likely is, but i can hope for the best.... damn loosing my 7k of reactive gas =(.

But hey, all is worth it in the end, and to get this game moving, thanks for the heads up.

/hug just for you akroma...

oh and nice try with your sig :D hehe

>>

Ekaika
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Regarding the wipe question.. I believe I saw TA say he did a backup yesterday morning.

djolovicl
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Regarding the wipe question.. I believe I saw TA say he did a backup yesterday morning.

/cheer for the backup

Kayliaah
03-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Hmm morning, morning, morning...

Oh if I'm lucky I won't have to survey once again for my 7k for each resources I had before the boom :D

But I love backups, too bad they're not automatic. :O

Brane Ded
03-25-2009, 07:20 PM

IF that's true then TA just found himself a new crew of best friends of all the crafters.

Blackdove6
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
i am going into withdrawl.....i need SWG.....it hurts....

willomine
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
As things go, downtime isn't all bad. The very fact that we are all here anticipating up time in 2 - 3 days is way more than I could have hoped for a couple years ago as SOE began destroying THE game. Keep up the great work. And thank you.

EVILJUDE
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
i am going into withdrawl.....i need SWG.....it hurts....

hurts me too, but will allow me to get some sleep...LOL.

i wonder if the bad HD was the cause of all the funky lag, or if it was just the background stuff the devs run.

Ratchet' Autobot
03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
heh, I just re-installed SWG today so I could have a look at how the EMU was coming on - guess I'm just lucky huh :)

Glad to see things have been progressing, can't wait to get in for some testing :cool:

Hmmm. So this is all your fault :lightsaber: ........................

LOL jk

Well it could be kays fault but i dont think even she has stooped to crashing HD's yet ;) LOL jk

any way, I would be afreid if I where you BankyEdwards, i meen compairing the EMU staff to SOE is like being a naked guy in a gay bar. Your ******.

I meen seriously compairing the guys doing this for free to a bunch of people no one on this form for the most part likes at all, is a really BAD idea.

Oh and BTW Ekaika, thanks for the reasurance. Hmm now i wonder if that was when i still had all my resources, because they whent poof twice. Sure hope so, other wise ...... well its back out to the field to collect more resources again. LOL

But hopefully this will fix the problems anyway. Good luck devs. /full support:)

Ashur
03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm glad we get a new one, should be much less issues now :)

I wish we had SSD hard drives, they never die.

the opposite actually, their main problem is that they die out :)

burdan19
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM

I'm with ya brotha, reinstalled today myself, wanting to relive the pre-cu life again hehe. and like lucky hehe.

Glad too see you guys are getting this game up and going. Sorry to hear about the drive, but i'm sure there's a reason for it, things usually don't happen for no reason, and i'm sure this reason is better then any reason SOE had lol

anyways can't wait to see what you guys done with the game.

RedFive
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
anyways can't wait to see what you guys done with the game.

It's not a game yet, but it's still better than NGE.

Morik
03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
but it's still better than NGE.

So is squeezing lemon juice into your eyes, but we know what you mean:)

mujadaddy
03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
There is a saying in my country: Don't go ass first in to a room where d***s are measured. I hear you have cheap beer, as well as excellent philosophy! Viva Serbsk!

you are doing great workThat. <3 emuDevs

BankyEdwards
03-25-2009, 11:41 PM
I wasn't comparing the EMU devs to SoE.
I was comparing SoE and the Denver host. BIG DIFFERENCE

As for the maybe back up I so hope there was. We crafters and testers really need a few resource rotations without a wipe so we can gather the varying resources to craft everything that requires testing.

loftkilla
03-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I think Ima go home and cry

Link
03-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Oh, yesterday morning, you mean the day i'd just put my harvesters down?

Oh well, i still have my resources, just sets me back a day of progress.

Perigwyn
03-26-2009, 12:07 AM
this will be interesting, can't remember who had what harvesters where. Maybe I should write this stuff down.

Leodextrin
03-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Sometimes only a video sums it up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lol j/k, thanks for the heads up, of course now I have another link to post in all the "Are the servers up threads" for a couple of days.

Samiam702
03-26-2009, 01:01 AM
I have Resident Evil 5 to keep me busy, so it's allll good.

Billy2600
03-26-2009, 01:47 AM
I know I am fairly new to the community, however

If we are looking at a complete reinstall anyways what are the odds of us getting them to configure us with at minimum 2 drives of the same size configured in RAID 1-0. Or if we need a huge amount of drive space can we get more then 2 and put them in RAID 5.

Granted this may be the case but if we were running in raid I wouldn't expect any data loss or downtime. Most of the time you don't get the corruption and on many server you can hot swap the drives.

Just a thought of course I don't know the specific of the current server.

DeadFett
03-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the server coming back up and doing some bug hunting.

BankyEdwards
03-26-2009, 02:47 AM
on the topic of bugs

DAMN KYLE you been busy. that commit you posted has changes to like every schematic in game. from the read of it should we expect when that patch is uploaded that all those items will be removed from the blue frogs?

Joshino
03-26-2009, 06:30 AM

2 cheers for te backup!

Lubbe
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
2 cheers for te backup!

He "believe" he saw TA saying that he did a backup...

sioned
03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
well for the TC i dont mind some downtime. But for the live servers i also would suggest some mirror raid.

Joshino
03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
He "believe" he saw TA saying that he did a backup...

I'm just being optomistic .. if not its not a huge loss anyway.

Perigwyn
03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Even if there was no backup done, it is a test center, and we can all start again, not like it hard to go to the traders and get what you had before.

BankyEdwards
03-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Even if there was no backup done, it is a test center, and we can all start again, not like it hard to go to the traders and get what you had before.

try testing crafting with multiple wipes when you can't gather resources from multiple shifts in order to make quality items.

can't wait to see the gungan traders and jawa traders removed totally and see how you instant templete people fare.

Perigwyn
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
I have been doing that, and it has made me laugh a bit. Knowing I had all these resources in my backpack and then *poof* it is gone along with the harvesters and energy I had gotten. No biggie, just will have to do it again.

TrooperCooper
03-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I have been doing that, and it has made me laugh a bit. Knowing I had all these resources in my backpack and then *poof* it is gone along with the harvesters and energy I had gotten. No biggie, just will have to do it again.

Dont put anything important into backpacks yet. They are still bugged and stuff in there vanishes very often, aside from the "usual" server problems / wipes. ;)

zhoed
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. So this is all your fault :lightsaber: ........................

LOL jk...

yep, but I see from the status bar at the top of this page that Nova test is online :cool:
so I need to leave work early and go see ;)

KroniK
03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes I noticed that as well, maybe it is.

EVILJUDE
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
yep, but I see from the status bar at the top of this page that Nova test is online :cool:
so I need to leave work early and go see ;)

my heart skipped a beat when i saw online....

Rorkar
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
is it ?
I can't log on. Authentification is down i guess

seyyal
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
dont play with my emotions man

EndrWign
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I just logged on, but apparently, my characters are gone. I don't know if I'm the only one, but it looks like we had a wipe.

Vladthe
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Me too, might have something to do with this:
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21154

PhantomLeader
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I just logged on, but apparently, my characters are gone. I don't know if I'm the only one, but it looks like we had a wipe.
EndrWign, depending on when you created the characters, they may have been lost in the harddrive crash.

JoseEduardo
03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
i can't login, it says that my account doesn't exist

PhantomLeader
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
JoseEduardo, please read the front-page.
The TC will have its userdb linked with the new DB soon. If you are a newly registered member, please be patient.

Newly registered users won't be able to log on until the DB is linked, which could be a couple days.

Cheskie
03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I know I am fairly new to the community, however

If we are looking at a complete reinstall anyways what are the odds of us getting them to configure us with at minimum 2 drives of the same size configured in RAID 1-0. Or if we need a huge amount of drive space can we get more then 2 and put them in RAID 5.

Granted this may be the case but if we were running in raid I wouldn't expect any data loss or downtime. Most of the time you don't get the corruption and on many server you can hot swap the drives.

Just a thought of course I don't know the specific of the current server.

I was wondering this... keeping all your eggs in one HDD can be dangerous.

Ramsey
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
TC is back up. New users should be able to connect to the TC.

Single HDD crashes are rare and the box is new, this instance was just plain bad luck. But our production servers (SunCrusher) will have some sort of raid config, since data loss there is not an option

topic locked