PDA

View Full Version : Strange and Unusual: TC and the Times

Max
07-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Dear Community,

There are times when I am very proud of the brotherhood shown by the TC-Community in particular. However, today is not one of those days.

Anyone who thinks it will be "fun" to exploit our systems, or even worse are egotistical enough to think they won't be caught needs to know now that any hacking, exploiting or taking advantage of our systems or permissions will be met with permanent project blacklists.

Some members also find it funny to "con" their way around the galaxy trading duped and bugged items. I advise all honest players to be on the look out for these dupers and their trades, if you don't know them, ask around. We will ban all dupers - and we WILL find you.

I also ask all Jedi to keep their light-sabers to themselves. It is totally inappropriate to exploit any bugs in light-saber equipping in the way they currently are. If you're not a jedi and have a light-saber, I'm sure you're very proud.

Some people around here need to wake up and smell the flowers. This project does not operate for the titillation of a few thugs. It's so much bigger than those who are taking advantage of us as they currently are. If ever there was a reason that all of our developers would throw down their tools and give up, it would be because of rabble like this. Think about what they're up to at the moment - a major overhaul of Core3, a whole jedi system, events, fixing bugs.... Those who think that they can take that for granted and abuse it, I say this to you: "This project will never be for you, and you don't deserve any of the time put towards your enjoyment."

Good day.

djolovicl
07-17-2009, 03:16 AM
Anyone who thinks it will be "fun" to exploit our systems, or even worse...

Its a TC, why even try to do a thing like that, what is there to gain that wont be wiped in a near future?

That's just stupid....

Tyler Durden
07-17-2009, 03:37 AM
. Those who think that they can take that for granted and abuse it, I say this to you: "This project will never be for you, and you don't deserve any of the time put towards your enjoyment."

Max

Well said, good point! thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this.

odwill
07-17-2009, 01:34 PM
/snip "This project will never be for you, and you don't deserve any of the time put towards your enjoyment."

QFT x1000

Well said Max, very well Said.

Odz

Ninja_Cadillac
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Brava!!!

Rodd
07-17-2009, 01:50 PM
The fact that Max has to waste his time posting this at all is really sad. It's amazing that there will always be 5 morons to screw up a good thing in my life, no matter what I get involved in.

agapafima
07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
The fact that Max has to waste his time posting this at all is really sad. It's amazing that there will always be 5 morons to screw up a good thing in my life, no matter what I get involved in.

You're right, those people are in EVERYTHING. I wonder how much further the project would be if we didn't have issues like this all the time.

Asmodeus
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
yup such a shame. Too bad these "bad apples" don't realize all they are really doing is delaying progess and pissing off the rest of the community.

KroniK
07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Honestly there's rarely any incidents. Granted the community has had its share of bad apples, but pretty much all of those have been resolved and those member(s) don't post anymore. We will probally always have members that take advantage of the teams hospitality, and as Max said they don't deserve it.

I really hope people will get it through their thick skulls and realize this is a non profit test center, the staff don't have to be doing this at all. They are doing this in their free time for the same reason we would do it if we had the means, they are doing it purely for the love of the game.

Undersold
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
yup such a shame. Too bad these "bad apples" don't realize all they are really doing is delaying progess and pissing off the rest of the community.

Not really, in doing so they did highlight an issue and it looks like its been resolved, looks like a step in the right direction to me, that being said I'm not condoning exploits =P

morganellie
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Devs

Please take a philosophical standpoint on these morons, it's only your valiant efforts that are giving these cretins the chance to act so childishly

Please pass their details onto me and I shall hound them to their dying days

Keep up the amazing work and try not to get too upset by all the arseholes, sadly they are everytwhere

Rodd
07-17-2009, 02:39 PM

Not onnly do they realize it, but they are only happen when they delay the emu I'm sure. They would be happiest if the devs scrapped the entire project.

I have dealt with this before, these people get satisfaction out of screwing up good things on the internet, generally because in real life, they are on the other end of similar foul intentions.

WWhermit
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
What a shame this had to happen, truly. Some people just can't appreciate the effort of others.

I hope that nothing less than a permanent ban is implimented for those who would exploit and otherwise take advantage of a gift such as this.

I hope this doesn't deter the developers, moderators, CSRs, and other staff members who are selflessly putting in their FREE TIME AND EFFORT TO BRING SOME ENJOYMENT TO US!! Thank you, thank you.

WWhermit

wrathofryft
07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
This community has come a long way. We've all gathered here because we believe in this project. Many of us have spent hours sifting through the game, trying to find errors. I remember when I first discovered SWGEmu. I was so happy to hear that there were people out there wokring to restore this game to what it was before SOE destroyed it. I was more than happy to lend whatever aid I needed to, even if it was just going around and visiting towns in order to make sure everything was in place. Hundreds of us have helped in whatever way was possible, because we want this to succeed. I know this will succeed!

I think I speak, not only for myself, but for the community as a whole when I say 'We will not let some young punk-ass kids ruin OUR game.'

thescroll
07-18-2009, 03:07 AM
I have a question that relates partially to this (dupped/bugged items part). I was never much of a crafter in the pre-cu, so I am not sure now how it was supposed to work with practice mode.

Anyways, I have found that in crafting certain objects (such as wind survey tools, or crafting tools) and I select Practice Mode, it will create a stack of 25 items, all in a factory crate. The survey tool seemed to be functional, but the crafting tool was not.

Now I ask, are these considered bugged/dupped items that would constitute 'cheating'? Because I had put up 2 crates for a low instant sale on the bazaar, not knowing whether or not it was normal or not. If it is, I apologize to the people who bought the crates, and it was never my intentions to spread malignant items.

Ekaika
07-18-2009, 03:47 AM
That's not a dupe, don't worry. It's just a broken mechanic.

Craigybbz
07-18-2009, 04:20 AM
QFT Max its a big shame that some people are trying to spoil this for others, you should put these players on the bounty mission terminals and anyone should be able to pick up the bounty so like 30 players can camp the exploiters corpse lol :)

maluis
07-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Find them and shame them.....

Chayn
07-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Wish they had the "Kahonas" to come on this thread, fess-up and appologize but i guess if they're not mature enuf to not do it in the first place then they certainly arent man/woman enuf to take responsibility.

The really sad part is this thread prolly excites them... :(

PS> whats up with the tags on this thread lol

acv03
07-18-2009, 10:43 AM
perma-tag them: (Exploiter)

Ninja_Cadillac
07-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I know this probably won't happen but you could perma-change their in-game titles to (I Suck) and other things of that sort... I'd lawl...

spector84
07-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I found this bug that creates resources is that a dupe? and if so, how do I report it?

xavia
07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Spector, you can report bugs here (http://www.swgemu.com/bugs). Please note you will need to register for a separate account since it is not tied to the forums and make sure to use the search tool before submitting a new report. Thanks!

thescroll
07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I know this probably won't happen but you could perma-change their in-game titles to (I Suck) and other things of that sort... I'd lawl...

It took me like 5 min to get to your post, your darn michael phelps is a monster gif is VERY attention attracting.

That being said, I kinda like that idea, at least we know who not to invite to dancer groups and buff/heal.

Edit: What are with these page tags? bunnies!, jello, monday mornings, tellitubbies? Huh....

echo_$USER
07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm glad you asked this, because I was wondering the same thing. I didn't sell any crates, but when I crafted in Practice Mode, and got a crate of 25 pistols, the first thing that went through my mind was, "I wonder how many people are crafting these crates, then selling all of them for 10k each?"

So what exactly are these people doing? I'm curious. Also, knowing what they do will help me to be able to report anyone I notice doing it.

I have a question that relates partially to this (dupped/bugged items part). I was never much of a crafter in the pre-cu, so I am not sure now how it was supposed to work with practice mode.

Anyways, I have found that in crafting certain objects (such as wind survey tools, or crafting tools) and I select Practice Mode, it will create a stack of 25 items, all in a factory crate. The survey tool seemed to be functional, but the crafting tool was not.

Now I ask, are these considered bugged/dupped items that would constitute 'cheating'? Because I had put up 2 crates for a low instant sale on the bazaar, not knowing whether or not it was normal or not. If it is, I apologize to the people who bought the crates, and it was never my intentions to spread malignant items.

Ekaika
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
No need to report that, again it's a flawed mechanic, not an exploit. Because there's no real economy as this stage, we're not enforcing it.

Thanks for your concern though.

RTF671
07-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm glad you asked this, because I was wondering the same thing. I didn't sell any crates, but when I crafted in Practice Mode, and got a crate of 25 pistols, the first thing that went through my mind was, "I wonder how many people are crafting these crates, then selling all of them for 10k each?"

So what exactly are these people doing? I'm curious. Also, knowing what they do will help me to be able to report anyone I notice doing it.

I did that for swoops before the last wipe. Got boring after the first million creds :)
Although I did sell mine for 5 or 10k
Anyway be careful what you buy. Swoops really aren't worth the full 20k

Also if you log out and log in the old crates will be useless, you will not be able to draw anything from them.

Artigo
07-19-2009, 01:03 AM
I say just do a server wipe. Then they lose all their items

Sharp2255
07-19-2009, 01:04 AM
I really don't understand why stupid people always have to ruin it for the good.

Frenzyfreeze
07-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Dear Community,

There are times when I am very proud of the brotherhood shown by the TC-Community in particular. However, today is not one of those days.

Anyone who thinks it will be "fun" to exploit our systems, or even worse are egotistical enough to think they won't be caught needs to know now that any hacking, exploiting or taking advantage of our systems or permissions will be met with permanent project blacklists.

Some members also find it funny to "con" their way around the galaxy trading duped and bugged items. I advise all honest players to be on the look out for these dupers and their trades, if you don't know them, ask around. We will ban all dupers - and we WILL find you.

I also ask all Jedi to keep their light-sabers to themselves. It is totally inappropriate to exploit any bugs in light-saber equipping in the way they currently are. If you're not a jedi and have a light-saber, I'm sure you're very proud.

Some people around here need to wake up and smell the flowers. This project does not operate for the titillation of a few thugs. It's so much bigger than those who are taking advantage of us as they currently are. If ever there was a reason that all of our developers would throw down their tools and give up, it would be because of rabble like this. Think about what they're up to at the moment - a major overhaul of Core3, a whole jedi system, events, fixing bugs.... Those who think that they can take that for granted and abuse it, I say this to you: "This project will never be for you, and you don't deserve any of the time put towards your enjoyment."

Good day.

AMG Max! That ending...You're the freakin bomb lol!:D

BigEvil
07-20-2009, 06:59 AM
I really don't understand why stupid people always have to ruin it for the good.

As long as there are social games that reward interaction, cooperation, and a genuine player generated environment, there will be booger-eating candy-striper a$$-clowns that take pleasure from griefing and exploiting to ruin the fun.

Usually they look like this guy....

http://i27.tinypic.com/2bqole.jpg

....but not always. There is also the type, "DONT CALL ME A DORK! I GOT A SWEET CAR, AND A HOT GIRLFRIEND!!!" ........

These ones are just a$$holes.

mijom
07-20-2009, 07:54 AM
temporary ban of 1 month as first warning, permanent ban from ANY exploit or cheat after that no matter how small it was IMO.

We don't need people like that in here, they are nothing but trouble. you need to show them you are serious and any kind of exploiting is not allowed.

Joshino
07-20-2009, 08:18 AM

Why have you got my prom picture :O

Chayn
07-20-2009, 08:35 AM
temporary ban of 1 month as first warning, permanent ban from ANY exploit or cheat after that no matter how small it was IMO.

We don't need people like that in here, they are nothing but trouble. you need to show them you are serious and any kind of exploiting is not allowed.

That sounds about right. It is easier and not financially painful to weed out the few when there's no bottom-line to consider...

amphitryon
07-20-2009, 06:13 PM
sigh..doing that crap on a community project..I rate that up there with the idiots who go and vandalize places like community centers and schools. If they were not so ignorant in the first place, they would realize attacking communty projects attacks the means of removing ignorance, aka stuff that is GOOD for them..but then again the ignorant have no clue on why ignorance is bad. Its the nature of the beast.

To those out there who are good at tracking IP addresses and matching them to where people live, I wont shed a single tear if you locate these people and teach them a bit about why vandalism is bad using a baseball bat as an educational aide.

Ignorant Duper sez "Who cares, dupe or no dupe, what's the difference?"
Person w/ baseball bat starts wailing on him and asks in return "You want me to stop or keep going, whats the difference?"

Methinks thats all those types truly understand.

Hangman
07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
sigh..doing that crap on a community project..I rate that up there with the idiots who go and vandalize places like community centers and schools. If they were not so ignorant in the first place, they would realize attacking communty projects attacks the means of removing ignorance, aka stuff that is GOOD for them..but then again the ignorant have no clue on why ignorance is bad. Its the nature of the beast.

Everything is handed to them or it is someone else's responsibility. They vandalize and disrespect their own and themselves. So they can't comprehend respect of anything outside of them.

Work hard and spend a lot of time on something for yourself or yours. And you can appreciate what others have done and therefore appreciate them. Such as those who have worked to recreate SWG. Just mho.

Demos
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm excellent at tracking IP's.

If the Dev's ever need help, let me know.

It's a shame that there are people out there like that.

Max should of never had to make a post like this..... EVER!

How hard could it be to track these people.

such as those running around with lightsabers that are not Jedi.
Tell them they are banned unless they give up the name of the person they got it from. Problem solved.

If you have tons n tons of log files you need help looking thru, I would be happy to donate my time to make sure the bad apples are gone for good....
Your guys time is too valuable and better spent on code, than trying to find these kids.....

Cunoine
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
and maybe we could get someone to "convince" them once you find out who they are =D

dedaskalion
07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
As long as there are social games that reward interaction, cooperation, and a genuine player generated environment, there will be booger-eating candy-striper a$$-clowns that take pleasure from griefing and exploiting to ruin the fun.

....but not always. There is also the type, "DONT CALL ME A DORK! I GOT A SWEET CAR, AND A HOT GIRLFRIEND!!!" ........

Get off my myspace.

BigEvil
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
LOL. Just saw Josh's post too. :p Just calling it like it see it.

Dont post what you dont want profiled. LOL.

Fullifecti
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I actually want a powerhammer with a NES controller head though. Am i wrong?

Garraak
07-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, you're going to have folks pop in that are here for "fr33 gamzor!!11!!', and not as part of the community. Not saying that's the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

However, remember this...believe it or not, this is a form of "testing" as well. Testing the community's reaction, the dev and CS response, the ban hammer mechanism :D...all of that will be needed once this community becomes larger, which it will.

Do we need this kind of crap at the moment? Of course not. However, the thing to remember is this...as this project gets closer and closer to a live release, more and more of these types of players will appear...there's a certain percentage in any playerbase.

Like I'm telling the devs anything here, but it doesn't matter how well things work, there will always be players looking for some way to throw a monkey wrench into the gears...just for kicks.

Some people can't walk by an underpass without spray painting something obscene on it; in the online world, some are fully spec'd in "*******". It looks to me like this might be a cue for the CS department to work on a set of policies and procedures to be ready...this kind of stupidity will only get worse.

Just remember...they may not deserve your work (and they don't), but in the current-day view of "beta=free game", they'll keep showing up.

Sigh.

NuWind
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
incinerate em'!

some people need to give their right arm a break...

and stop sploiting.

amazon3d
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Its a TC, why even try to do a thing like that, what is there to gain that wont be wiped in a near future?

That's just stupid....

I would almost say that would be a good thing, granted the users that do it likely don't report it so it can be fixed.

If I found a glitch to dup items, trade non-tradables, or become a supreme being, I would be sure to mention it and how it was done to the devs so they would be able to fix it.

loftkilla
07-25-2009, 02:31 PM

What? did this kid's TV break and this is all he could come up with to do?

BigEvil
07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
What? did this kid's TV break and this is all he could come up with to do?

I love that picture. I always knew I'd have a use for it someday when i found it. LOL>:)

Ya, you have to question what he was thinking. MAN, I AM 1337!!!

gore707
09-14-2009, 10:30 PM
;p lol