PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Helper?

Ekaika
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey folks,

Hello from the SWGEmu Support crew! As everyone knows, SWGEmu offers an official Support channel in IRC, accessible via the Java interface on the forums, or any IRC client at #swgemusupport.

The channel has been heavily utilized over the last year+, and we hope that if you've used it, it has been of some benefit to you. Many of us have put in countless hours trying to ensure our members are taken care of, to the best of our ability.

We're interested in a possible experiment with the community. Are you a close follower of the project? Do you consider yourself well versed with SWGEmu, LPE, and NOVA? Are you good with computers? Do you enjoy helping out other players? Are you an active IRC user?

If you answered yes to those questions, we might want your help! We're considering opening up Support to the community, to allow more coverage for people needing assistance with basic issues. This will not be an official staff position, however you'll earn the respect and admiration of the Staff, and interact with us problem solving and helping fellow users out.

This thread is to gauge the temperature of interest for such a venture with your feedback. Until such time as we make a decision, the channel remains for Staff support only, so please do not join to idle if you do not have a support related query.

Are you a helper?

Tovo
08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
First !

Master Chief
08-02-2009, 04:13 PM
YES! I want to do whatever I can to bolster the project, no matter how little contribution I may add. Also I will do whatever I can, for who knows? (I'm probably pushing my luck) but maybe one day, I could somehow join the STAFF?

Edit: As far as computer experience, I have good knowledge of navigation such as with files and the like.

Thaddeus_Frump
08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Heh. I'd start being an IRC regular to help out, sure.

Vlada
08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I like and try to help, but I use IRC once in a blue moon.

mijom
08-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I idle in IRC most of the day (gmt +3 atm), Onlything i'm not that good is computers :| But i'm definetly interested to help out the best i can.

KarlDeux
08-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Well I'm able to help with Spanish support.

-Are you a close follower of the project?

Sure I am, also I follow Emuradio as entertainer (Deejay)

-Do you consider yourself well versed with SWGEmu, LPE, and NOVA?

Yes, I do.

-Are you good with computers?

I am sound engineer and right now i'm mastering digital audio related to computer and audio cards. Aswell I worked for Official Blizzard Support (Spanish) for a year.

-Do you enjoy helping out other players?

Sure, It's my work.

-Are you an active IRC user?

I'm active IRC user, yep.

<3 Ekaika.

Raven118
08-02-2009, 05:55 PM

yes i sure am

yes i do,i love pre-cu and this community alot

i took computer apps for 3 years and have extensive knowledge of computers and software

yes,the more people we help the better the server will be when it goes live

im active i pop in irc from time to time but im pretty active server wise,and forum wise

Tigerfang
08-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I may not have been with the project for very ling but I would love to help out with support on irc / ingame

i am almost fully upto date with the going's on within the project and have alot of experiance with computers and windows.

spector84
08-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I do help out a number of people when I Ent in the cantina and I am a bit savy in Java programming, And I do visit IRC though not as much as I should. If you do need me in anything send me a mail. though I'm not that confident I would be of use. :)

corbaer
08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
<-- iz <HELPER>

But I'm not spending as much time here atm as I used to. Many reasons, most of it related to getting bored with the game by testing. More and more lately the urge to be around when it's ready to go seems like a better choice than spinning my wheels in this pre-OR phase. Post-OR I'll likely be back with a ticket-storm of fury...

dedaskalion
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
But I'm not spending as much time here atm as I used to. Many reasons, most of it related to getting bored with the game by testing. More and more lately the urge to be around when it's ready to go seems like a better choice than spinning my wheels in this pre-OR phase. Post-OR I'll likely be back with a ticket-storm of fury...

Lol, I hear that.

EmulateS
08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I no longer work full time thanks to a combo of crohns and colitis. I spend approximately 5-6 days awake at a time. I then sleep 4 hours max. I've been working on the coding techniques employed to bring a more useful purpose to CH and BE but have so much time on my hands that I'd like the opportunity to help. I've worked for Verant prior to SOE buying them out of EverQuest 1, IBM, Sun, SGI, HP, NCR a division of AT&T, Unisys, AT&T itself, Level 3 Networks, Integrated Systems Technologies, North Carolina Central University. I'm versed in UNIX - all *NIX - all but Vista Windows Environments (not only small but 5000+ servers per co-location) in as much as systems engineering, administration, security, networking and software engineering. I have over 20 years of work experience and more then that in the gaming community. My entire life's past time has been devoted to keeping people interested in gaming and helping them learn something that is fun and intellectual. If there is room for myself to be counted on, I'd like the opportunity to further help new comers and vet's alike in their adventures that are SWGEmu. PM me with whatever details you feel are necessary to take on this "Helper" role. If the position is not available at this point in time I would like to be kept in mind for future openings in any area of the project, especially the "Helper" role or helping the CH and BE if your intent is too maintain these two, wonderful IMHO, professions.

Sincerest thanks ahead of time,
Tom
aka EmulateS

Jacko
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Ekaika do you mean you would'nt mind having help on the sites and stuff from the community or only in game. Is this based on the whole Emu project?

Tovo
08-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I helped people.

inyri
08-02-2009, 09:27 PM
This is for users to provide other users game support in the #swgemusupport IRC channel.

Master Chief
08-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I no longer work full time thanks to a combo of crohns and colitis. I spend approximately 5-6 days awake at a time. I then sleep 4 hours max. I've been working on the coding techniques employed to bring a more useful purpose to CH and BE but have so much time on my hands that I'd like the opportunity to help. I've worked for Verant prior to SOE buying them out of EverQuest 1, IBM, Sun, SGI, HP, NCR a division of AT&T, Unisys, AT&T itself, Level 3 Networks, Integrated Systems Technologies, North Carolina Central University. I'm versed in UNIX - all *NIX - all but Vista Windows Environments (not only small but 5000+ servers per co-location) in as much as systems engineering, administration, security, networking and software engineering. I have over 20 years of work experience and more then that in the gaming community. My entire life's past time has been devoted to keeping people interested in gaming and helping them learn something that is fun and intellectual. If there is room for myself to be counted on, I'd like the opportunity to further help new comers and vet's alike in their adventures that are SWGEmu. PM me with whatever details you feel are necessary to take on this "Helper" role. If the position is not available at this point in time I would like to be kept in mind for future openings in any area of the project, especially the "Helper" role or helping the CH and BE if your intent is too maintain these two, wonderful IMHO, professions.

Sincerest thanks ahead of time,
Tom
aka EmulateS

That's one stunning resume. While as impresive as it is, this post doesn't ask for a job application. Still, your awe-striking experience should be vital to SWGEmu, not only as a community helper, but as a Dev if you're savvy in code too. Not many of us from what I know are lucky to have as much experience as that, and for that I salute you and your over-the-top knowledge as well as what devotion you want to input.

I'm sure you will serve as an inspiration for us all, myself included.

Lubbe
08-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm a helper, I spent 3-4 hours yesterday guiding newbies around. I also answer questions. When I remember I use the helper title.

Some people are misleading the newbies and make them travel far away for nothing and make them do silly things.

Master Chief
08-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm a helper, I spent 3-4 hours yesterday guiding newbies around. I also answer questions. When I remember I use the helper title. I also noticed some people are misleading the newbies and make them travel far away for nothing and make them do silly things.

2 remarks: 1, as pointed before, I will spend as much time as I can to help SWGEmu as a community and as a whole. 2, I see that there are some "bad helpers" in the works. I hope I'm not one of them, and if so, sorry. However, these "bad helpers" are either mischief makers or they are misguided due to lack of knowledge. Should you find and confront one, you be the judge.

AZIronman
08-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I know a lot about the emu I'd be able to help.

Lubbe
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
2 remarks: 1, as pointed before, I will spend as much time as I can to help SWGEmu as a community and as a whole. 2, I see that there are some "bad helpers" in the works. I hope I'm not one of them, and if so, sorry. However, these "bad helpers" are either mischief makers or they are misguided due to lack of knowledge. Should you find and confront one, you be the judge.

They do it with purpose. They tell the newbies that they have to go to 0,0 on Tatooine and stuff to become a jedi and so on...

dedaskalion
08-02-2009, 10:56 PM
They do it with purpose. They tell the newbies that they have to go to 0,0 on Tatooine and stuff to become a jedi and so on...

lolwut. How dare they...

Ekaika
08-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Thank you for the replies thus far guy/gals. We knew folks were looking for a way to help, and let me say again that we really appreciate the interest.

To reiterate what Iny said, this would (theoretically) be unofficial (regulated) community based IRC help, similar to what you find in the Community Support forum. There are many people who are very familiar with the project and are seeking a way to contribute. What better way than to welcome and assist new joiners to the project in IRC?

Keep the feedback coming. We'll be in touch.

Master Chief
08-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Yeah it's true. Believe it or not, but I actually fell for that gag. Here's the confirmation: There's NOTHING at double/triple zero.

Thank you for the replies thus far guy/gals. We knew folks were looking for a way to help, and let me say again that we really appreciate the interest.

To reiterate what Iny said, this would (theoretically) be unofficial (regulated) community based IRC help, for the community, similar to what you find in the Community Support forum. There are many people who are very familiar, and seeking a way to contribute. What better way, than to welcome and assist new joiners to the project in IRC?

Keep the feedback coming. We'll be in touch.

And also this is one of those things that I am willing to do all I can for not only because it's something worth working for, but also there's some self-satisfaction that comes out of it. Right now, I'm trying to become a Dev for this sake, and even if I fail, I will have still put in the effort, and that's what this is all about, I believe: effort!

mpv
08-03-2009, 01:40 AM
More than happy to help in any way that's needed.

EmulateS
08-04-2009, 07:41 AM
That's one stunning resume. While as impresive as it is, this post doesn't ask for a job application. Still, your awe-striking experience should be vital to SWGEmu, not only as a community helper, but as a Dev if you're savvy in code too. Not many of us from what I know are lucky to have as much experience as that, and for that I salute you and your over-the-top knowledge as well as what devotion you want to input.

LOL I deeply appreciate the salute. This is something I've dedicated my time too on many different games. I do however apologize for the resume. As stated it was not needed. :)
/kowtow Master Chief

mijom
08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
LOL I deeply appreciate the salute. This is something I've dedicated my time too on many different games. I do however apologize for the resume. As stated it was not needed. :)
/kowtow Master Chief

If i were you or had the skills like you, i would contact the team for DEV position and offer my knowlege to them. Seriously if your that good you should be recruited and fast.

badboy09
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm a helper, I spent 3-4 hours yesterday guiding newbies around. I also answer questions. When I remember I use the helper title.

Some people are misleading the newbies and make them travel far away for nothing and make them do silly things.

Reminds me of live

dont worry about it they will figure it out for themselves.

Ekaika
08-13-2009, 04:12 AM
A bump for real interest. We'd still be very interested in hearing from any folks that enjoy helping.

damondooda
08-13-2009, 04:15 AM
I personally enjoy helping new players, i just love the kick you get from helping them out :)
Hehe,call me a freak...But it's fun.

I am a great follower of this project, and will stick with it through thick and thin.

Yes, i love pre-cu and the SWGemu community is the best community out there.

Yes, i am currently studying C++ and Lua, i have learned moderate HTML.

I love helping out new players, especially when they come back to you for help or thank you.

Not realy, but it doesn't take much to start being active.

Master Chief
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Again, I will do whatever I can to help out. Note I said "whatever I can," meaning I can't be here 24/7 or anything like that. I do an assortment of other things, such as play on XBox Live (if I'm online there, feel free to contact me should you also be on XBox Live; my gamertag is in my signature if you're curious), eat/sleep, write; what I'm trying to say is I'm still, as Agent Smith puts it, "only human."

I'm not all-powerful, and I am still no less strapped of time as any high-school graduate, but I will be here through the best and worst of the project: IRC, forum, and game; lock stock and barrel. All I can offer is that I give you my all. I'm just a nice guy trying to lend a hand to folks, and my big hope is that I can help divert any distracting queries/thoughts away from the devs so that they can focus on their Object Restructures and all their Godly biddings. At absolute least, call me a "firewall:" If anything I'll be the wall to shield against "flamers" to prevent distractions from the key members: Devs and such. Although my largest ambition/aspiration is that I'd join Their ranks, I still will do whatever I can to help Them even if I am not with Them and Their busy omnipotence.

Point made: I'll do everything in my power to help, but know that my power is not limitless, EVEN if somehow, through some miracle, I became STAFF.

EmulateS
08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Still interested.
Cannot wait to help code for sure after the OR completion, at that point I will jump head first.
Something about too many cooks...
;)

loftkilla
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I can be a bit facetious at times, but I always help out anyone with any questions when I can. I don't really use IRC, but I have observing the forums for 2 years and posting for 1. In fact SWGEmu is the first forums ive ever posted on....I guess it goes to show the enthusiasm I, and the community, have for this game.

I'll start hanging out on IRC and lend my support when i can. i will not be on a whole lot until at least after summer, but then i will setup my 'battlestation' and unleash the turbo nerderry all over the place.

Thanks Ekaika!

"Many are called, few are chosen."

Master Chief
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
"Many are called, few are chosen."

Boy, you could say THAT again.

Still I will be visiting the IRC much more frequently now just simply by this thread.

Shotter
08-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Sure, I'd be interested.

StoneInc
08-18-2009, 02:25 AM
I try to help out when I am on TC, it usually just involves directing people to the frogs, and other important places like the Cantina. Usually get a few tells when I log in from people needing help, most of the time they have asked but get no reply because people are too busy PvP'ing.

I am very interested in taking part with this project.

sam_enock
08-19-2009, 03:57 AM
anything i can do to help, just let me know - Conquest.

Ekaika
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Just to be clear.. no one has or has not been chosen for anything. The implementation of a community p2p IRC support system has not yet been established. Hang in there.

Can't thank you all enough for your interest, it doesn't go unnoticed.

EmulateS
08-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Just hit us up when needed.
Always glad too help out any way we can, this is a community effort ;)

Master Chief
08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I know I have been unavaliable as of recently, but now I'm back and until I come across any MORE roadblocks, I'll be trying my absolute best to lend a hand here and there.

BigEvil
08-28-2009, 08:37 PM
I know I have been unavaliable as of recently, but now I'm back and until I come across any MORE roadblocks, I'll be trying my absolute best to lend a hand here and there.

I hear ya bro. RL is a bugger sometimes. :) We are gonna make this baby sing.

Drackyyn
08-28-2009, 10:00 PM
In defense of the mischief makers, we dont know for sure that 0,0,0 doesnt have something to do with becoming a Jedi...though it's highly unlikely, you cant rule out the crazy ideas that devs get...

Franknol
08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
/yawn

AlphaDawg
08-29-2009, 01:20 AM
In defense of the mischief makers, we dont know for sure that 0,0,0 doesnt have something to do with becoming a Jedi...though it's highly unlikely, you cant rule out the crazy ideas that devs get...

Wrong thread. TRY HERE (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26474) :)

I have been messing with IRC a bit,(First time using it),and working on getting it set up on all my computers so I can be on most of the time to help out when I can. Looking forward to chatting to yall.

Piffy
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
i work 9 to 5 and know nothing about coding. good start!

however, i am always happy to help people and to impart knowledge!

and fyi, you liars, its not 0,0 tatooine, its -6000, 5000 Dathomir, obviously!

Aeden
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
A bump for real interest. We'd still be very interested in hearing from any folks that enjoy helping.

Sorry I only found this thread today.

Told you already Little Dog, you can count me in.
I'm bit busy now with the Bug tracker but I still have plenty of time to help people on Irc.
Oh and since I can only work from home at the moment (after my rock climbing accident this summer), I have a lot of time to dedicate to you.
I guess you can already tell by the unusual length and boredom inherent to my previous threads : )

inyri
09-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Thank you to everyone who has shown an interest! We are looking to move forward soon and would like to take one last call for interest in becoming a community helper. If you are still interested and have not yet make your interest know please feel free to post. Those of you who have already expressed an interest will be contacted when we are ready to proceed.

Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in helping, and we welcome new applicants!

Ekaika
09-24-2009, 01:47 AM
5 minute bump!

Phase
09-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Well, I'd love to be able to assist in anything, any way I can. I used to be a GM for WoWcrack, so I helped some folks out back in the day. I know a few things about PCs, and I try to stay on top of all things SWGEmu, so..if you guys need me, just let me know. Inyri, you talk to me on MSN from time to time, so feel free to do it there if you guys want me for anything ;)

Millshive
09-24-2009, 04:26 AM
i am intrested in becoming a helper. i've always enjoyed helping people. i dont have any of the credentials uber coder dude (sorry forgot the name lol) has, and more power to him for it. but im eager to help anyway i can

Hephi
09-26-2009, 03:58 AM
If you still need people I would be glad to help. Used to do IT helpdesk work back in the day so I know the drill. Timewise I might not be online as much as some of the others and working shifts at the hospital makes me come online at various times of the day. Let me know if you could use me.

Master Chief
09-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I've always been interested! It's just I've been busy as of late, and the server is crashing consistently as well.

Bobbycheese
09-27-2009, 06:11 PM
just came across this today. i dont have a huge amount of free time away from my job, but i would help when i am actually able to (~10 hrs/week or so). if that would be enough to be of any use please let me know.

scorpiusjagr
09-27-2009, 06:26 PM
ill defently help out i was one of the origalnel helpers of scllya. so ya just tell me wat i need 2 do n i can help wen ever im on.

ymerej
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I've been helping people learn this game from day 66:)
As the leader of one of the oldest guilds on flurry I may have helped upwards of 1000 players learn upwards of a 1000 different things.

I work 3 days on 4 days off and am on the server most of my free time if it is up.
Even tho I quit swg in june after 5 1/2 years of playing, I am quickly finding a home in the Emu test world.

I would be more then happy to continue to do what i've been doing over the years
as long as I am not committed to any set schedule.
As much as I like to help and feel I am a social person,I also have a 4 year old running around the house so often I am not on live chat mode.

Send me /t if you have a question or need a hand. If im free then you have my attention.

Often you will find me in some remote area hunting spawns I have no right to solo,
But I will usually drop whatever I am doing if it means a chance to help someone find there way in this crazy sandbox.

MasterBlaster

Naesen
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Personally I like helping people ingame, but I have been following this project for a year, and joined in April. Don't think I qualify for any staff positions, and have never been on the IRC, but I think its pretty fun helping people ingame.

Serpentkaa
12-17-2009, 01:06 PM
The community helper position is not a staff position. It is providing support for other players in IRC room #swgemusupport. Everyone is welcome to apply if you can dedicate some active time to helping others in IRC.

Send odwill@swgemu.com (community@swgemu.com) an application email with the subject line: IRC Community Support Helper Application

Forum Name:
Character Names in Game:
Times available to help in IRC: (including timezone)
Days usually available:
References: (if any but not necessary)
Experience on this current TC:

Things considered when a player is selected for support are, but not limited to, a player's comportment and actions on IRC, TC and the forums.

Do not expect an immediate reply to the email. We evaluate the candidates when it is time to select more support helpers, which could be a week to several months away.

rLobster
01-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I would love to help in any way possible!

yes, a recent devotee, but yes!

like I said, relatively new here, but I'm an old hand from the original launch and am well versed in MMORPGs and game/distributed client/server architectures in general

Yes, I am an experienced sysadmin (linux, HP-UX, solaris), network engineer (CCNA,CCNE) and IT manager

most certainly! that's what made pre-CU SWG great

I haven't been for years, but I'll dust off a client and start lurking again... ;-)

rLobster

Ferren
01-14-2010, 03:02 PM
zomg imma helper

ArclightX
01-16-2010, 06:18 PM

For Real

Why isn't this guy being brought onto the dev team to offer some help/assistance/leadership/etc.. etc..

If he's already been approached then disregard my initial comment. But seriously if he hasn't then one of the devs needs to take a serious look at this fellow, approach him and make use of his talents and willingness to lend a hand sooner rather than later.

I recall hearing recently from several staff members something along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "finding people who have the knowledge, skillset, time, and willingness to offer assistance comparable to the devs are few and far between. They don't just fall off trees like apples".

Well there's your apple, go pick it up.

Ekaika
01-20-2010, 01:41 AM
We're all volunteers, at the end of the day. Thanks for everyone continuing to post and show interest in helping out. I know these are the 'lean' times, while we ground out holidays, family/travel obligations, and a hundred other equally valid excuses.

I always have one eye on the community, watching for folks that earnestly want to contribute their time.

odwill
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi folks, Recently I have contacted some of you who showed interest in this thread. Many seem to be taking a break from the project at this time. We have had a few spots open up and are looking for more help. If there is anyone who is still interested please email me at odwill@swgemu.com (community@swgemu.com) with the subject line: IRC Community Support Helper.

Please include;
Forum Name:
In Game Character Name:
Time zone, times you may be available to offer help.
Any Staff references you may have:
Any languages you speak:

I look forward to speaking with you. Thanks.

Kindelaria
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Do I feel that I have a broad enough and deep enough knowledge of the project to be of use? Probably not... yet.
Am I willing to put the time in to help others where I can? Definitely! Hence the "Helper" tag in-game.
Can I give a regular time slot to the cause? We will have to see about that, between work and girlfriend :-)

What I do know is that everyone involved in the project is a volunteer contributing their precious free time, that everyone involved had to start somewhere, and that at some point everyone (including TheAnswer) will get a question to which they do not have The Answer.

At the very least, if you put yourself forward as one who can help, you give Odwill and the Support team a chance to decide whether they think you can help. So rather than saying "I could never do that", stick your hand in the air and let the people who are already doing the job look at what skills and enthusiasm you bring to the table. You might be surprised at how much you are capable of achieving :-)

ShaydinTsepesh
01-28-2010, 05:22 PM
ooo pick me!!

wait ...oh i misread it ... thought this was the are you Helpless thread ... my bad

mrtippy4431
02-11-2010, 06:09 AM
I would be happy to help.... I am a network engineer though not much programmer experience, though I am more than willing to assist in any way. Currently I am in the Philippines (GMT +8) until April first, then I go back to Hawaii (GMT -10), where I currently reside.

Ekaika
02-11-2010, 07:31 AM
We need time, not credentials.

If you have some hours to donate to the cause. PM me.

Sarkoth
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I would like to help i am an IRC advocate and i love helping people.

Heban
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I would be intrested in be a member of the support staff; I have a great understanding of the listed things, and I was an elder everything in Pre-Cu and CU; therefore, I would be able to assist with in-game issuses also. I am people friendly. Please contact me at s300617599@students.rio.edu if there are any available positions.

Bulbous
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
What's "LPE"?

[Searched, no hits]

Vlada
02-25-2010, 09:42 AM
What's "LPE"?

[Searched, no hits]

Wrong thread, but. LPE is Lunchpad Enhanced (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3255). Its used for easy install and game launch.