PDA

View Full Version : I need an update!!!

Ekaika
08-20-2009, 02:04 AM
(Posted this in the Status of Project thread, but it might get more views here.)

We have essentially 2 major things going on right now concurrently.

1) There's the OR, which as we all know is restructuring aspects of the code to be more workable, better documented, more streamlined, and easier to grasp for new devs coming on board looking to contribute. All the active developers are in some way working on this. It is a major undertaking, essential to not only our current phase growth, but to the future of communities wanting to use Core3 and build upon it.

Contrary to a posting in a recent page in this thread, this is NOT redoing the same work multiple times as a result of indecisiveness or some other failure. The SWGEmu code is huge. We've had a couple dozen devs over the years contributing to it, such is the nature of Open-Source. They come and go. While everyone did their best, not every submission was flawless and bug free. Code is integrated and bugs fixed. Over time, the complexity of the code grows to such a massive degree, that it becomes time to reevaluate (based on years of experience and work with this codeby our most veteran devs) the structure. This allows for the things i mentioned in the beginning. This is NOT a step backwards, but a step towards completing 1.0 and making a cleaner, faster codebase.

WoWEmu was mentioned. Why does it work so well? Why does it take 10 minutes to set up? Why are they done and you're not? Simple. Pre-CU SWG does not exist anymore. Anywhere. Our team is recreating one line of code at a time a dead game that hasn't existed for 4 years. The guys that did wowemu had all the code at their disposal. All they had to do is grab it. It's not a comparison that reflects what the differences in emulation between the two projects are.

2) There's a big patch coming up. This will be our next big update. Can't go into too many details, but what you don't see on the surface, is the incredible amount of time and work being devoted to this by a few developers and the many QA staff all day, every day. It may seem quiet to you on the forums, but there's a lot of action going on in private staff channels, and our internal testing server. I watch what's happening, and help out when I can testing as time permits. It's exciting, and the buzz within QA for those actively working on this is at a high peak lately.

Some common questions you might have:

When will this patch go live? As always, when it's done. Everyone seems to hate soon, but soon is the best I can offer you. I can tell you that it's coming, and it won't be months.

Why aren't more updates being posted? A couple reasons. First and foremost, everyone is busy, and I mean busy with the project as well as real life. The above information is all we can say about status right now, so we'll keep repeating it until it's time to announce something further.

Why can't you post updates about the patch being worked on? Because it would take time away from the folks working on it, mostly. Also, there's alot of goodies in it we wouldn't want to spoil the surprise of. All I can do is buffer the frustrations, assure you we are most certainly NOT sitting still, and thank you for your continued support of pre-cu swg and SWGEmu.

I hope this helps to assuage some of the curiosity and eagerness some of you are experiencing. Just remember, we're all volunteers, and we're doing our best to manage our community, our staff, and most importantly our developers working tirelessly to bring us all what we want.

Hang in there folks.

(whew, my fingers are sore)

Electro
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the status update Ekaika. Very, very much appreciated. Now go ice down those fingers ;)

Big update, huh? Yay. I can only hope CH is part of that.

badboy09
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah thanks very much for the update any info is welcomed and appreciated especially with all the work you guys are doing, I cant wait to see what the new patch will bring us hopefully more crafting.What ever it brings im sure the whole community will rejoice and give out lots of high fives and kisses.

jat5560
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the update and keep up the good work. Sometimes we (the community) seem impatient, but that's only because we LOVE the game.

loftkilla
08-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the update, we were beginning to think y'all forgot about us...
we just need to read news of progress before we go to bed, like a mother singing it's baby a lullaby.

badboy09
08-20-2009, 04:49 PM
thanks for the update and keep up the good work. Sometimes we (the community) seem impatient, but that's only because we love the game.

qft

Vlada
08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the update Eka, and thank you Devs and the rest of the STAFF for all your hard work.

Valkyra
08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I can assure everyone will enjoy the upcoming update tremendously. All I am going to say is, it'll really feel like Pre-CU live again...

Rippster
08-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I can tell you that it's coming, and it won't be months.

:D

Keep up the great work guys!

*drool*

cable-odinson
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
awesome to just have communication from the folks at swg emu.

TY for everything emu team

ziggystardust
08-20-2009, 05:06 PM
awesome news. The excitement is too much !

Electro
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I can assure everyone will enjoy the upcoming update tremendously. All I am going to say is, it'll really feel like Pre-CU live again...

Hmm... what would make it feel like live...

Missions and mission groups? A bunch of CH pets roaming the streets? Medical droids so the buff lines get out of the Med Center and into the starport? Creature lairs?

Ooh, I'm excited. :)

Tosheden
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I never lost hope you in guys your bringing back the PreCu from the grave and doing a hell of a job /worship cant wait to see what the new updates are about

Diehomey!
08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
This patch is gonna be the bees knees

badboy09
08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Possible spoiler I have heard that the TEF system will be back.

Presle Digect
08-20-2009, 05:51 PM
To the Devs: Take your time and make sure it's rightly done, if people really love this game (Pre-CU style) Than it would not KILL them to wait awhile longer for a patch for it.

I personally love the game, i'v played CU and unfortunately the NGE (New Gehy Enhancements?) but what i loved most was PRE-CU, so relax and do your best and don't let peer pressure (Or gamer pressure) force you to release an imperfect product.

We'r rooting for ya in our home (3 Pre-CU players in here) and hope you guys at least take some time for yourselves to unwind, a stressed Coder is a faulty coder afterall. ^_^

Anywho, don't work too hard and hope to be brought back to the good old days "WHEN IT'S DONE". ^_^

Presle Digect, Smalltime Bountyhunter, Brother of Trekkie (Known to Jedi Padawans and newly knighted Jedi on Starsider as a minor deity, God of Thunder. ;)

Joshino
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM

booyah

Vastor
08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
thanks so much for this update. it means a lot after not hearing too much on the forums lately.

dizmull
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
thanks for the info

Ekaika
08-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh, and since it's already out there, I don't mind sharing what I'm personally most excited about..

/ADDIGNORE! :p

Hangman
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh, and since it's already out there, I don't mind sharing what I'm personally most excited about..

Amen
Hallelujah
Peanut-Butter

AZIronman
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM

I wish

WWhermit
08-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info Ekaika.

If there's anything you need from us, just ask!

WWhermit

AZIronman
08-20-2009, 10:13 PM
It's like dangling a steak in front of a dog...
It's there, we know it is and we want it but we won't get it for a while. I can't wait.

BigEvil
08-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Great stuff staff! Cant wait!

Cunoine
08-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Kandosii!
the only posssible way to sum up my feelings in one word :D

Ekaika
08-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I wish

It's like dangling a steak in front of a dog...
It's there, we know it is and we want it but we won't get it for a while. I can't wait.

I find your lack of faith... disturbing :emperor:

AZIronman
08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this update. I just hate having to wait lol. It's like clustering all over again haha,

Also Ekaika, can you confirm this TEF rumors?

OmaddaSzool
08-20-2009, 11:13 PM
As always all my thanks are to this great team.

Zero frustration, impatience here (Besides that still aimed at SOE).

If it takes you 15 years, that's how long it takes... that is a life time shorter than I'd make it get here ;)

I've had faith in this project since early on. Haven't lost it. Don't think I will. :)

May the force be with you.

Ferren
08-20-2009, 11:45 PM

Amped. Now the stupidity wont distract me from emuradio

Ekaika
08-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Can't confirm TEF, but I can confirm ignore!

AZIronman
08-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I love all of you staff!

alex1tmac
08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
This just feeds my anticipation!
But hell I've been waiting for a pre-cu serve since the cu went live, so I figure I can wait a little while longer.
Great job devs, just keep doin' what you're doin'.

Audune
08-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Amen
Hallelujah
Peanut-Butter

I've only heard that combo in one other place, was that Black Lagoon? Dutch right? I luv that series (the anime)

On topic though, /addignore ftw =3

krachera
08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
So we can safely say this satement "safe to suggest that the Object Restructure should be completed no later than the end of August" is no longer valid?

morganellie
08-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Very excited here

I'll take anything as a bonus really, if I start imagining that next week I'll be drinking Vasarian Brandy outside my house when my bio-engineered Rancor pees over my +25 pants healing because I'm tef'd and 15 factional AT-ST's come over the horizon along with their owners and start tearing into my PSG and synthsteak so I end up having to pull my probot droid and call in assitance from some team-mates who have to break away from hunting jedi on the BH terminals, I might get a tad disappointed

TommyG
08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
As always, I thank the Devs & Staff for all they do. To the 'impatient' members of our community, I say: have faith. After YEARS of waiting, I feel like we are finally rounding the bend..."AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!"

MonJoe
08-21-2009, 09:55 AM
So we can safely say this satement "safe to suggest that the Object Restructure should be completed no later than the end of August" is no longer valid?

Theres ten more days of August, they could surprise us with the next update.

Yeah I'm probably just getting my hopes up.

Craigybbz
08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
i'm aiming at a mid september update to be honest but would be cool if it was at the end of this month either way i'm not fussed i'm taking a break out of playing the test center at the moment while we wait for the OR to finish :)

Hangman
08-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I've only heard that combo in one other place, was that Black Lagoon? Dutch right? I luv that series (the anime)

On topic though, /addignore ftw =3

Heh. Yep, you are right. I'm not exactly sure everything it meant. I kind of took it as an excuberant "glad to be alive because of good news". I admit, I get a little of that feeling from some of the SWGEmu announcements.

Omegataco
08-21-2009, 03:49 PM
i'm aiming at a mid september update to be honest but would be cool if it was at the end of this month either way i'm not fussed i'm taking a break out of playing the test center at the moment while we wait for the OR to finish :)

Eh, I'm pretty sure it'll be way before mid september. :)

badboy09
08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
What if the update is the OR how cool would that be.......What if.

AZIronman
08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Remember, these guys don't get paid so deadlines don't mean a whole lot. I think September is a good guess.

sam_enock
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM
anytime is good by me, i just appreciate all the work you guys are putting in out of your own time. As always if theres anything i can do to help, no matter how basic, drop me a tell or a mail!

Ekaika
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Remember, the OR and this next patch are two different things. If we were to finish the OR, you wouldn't even notice, as it's not content. This patch however will most definitely be noticeable.

Garrion
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
But the OR is going on the TC first am I right?

Valoram
08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Perfect! That update is exactly what i've been waiting for. It's good to know that we are not forgotten :)
Thanks Ekaika

Ekaika
08-21-2009, 11:06 PM
But the OR is going on the TC first am I right?

No, the patch is going in first. The OR is a work in progress.

Garrion
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh? I figured they would have done the OR first. Butthis is cool :P

Ekaika
08-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Progress and the OR aren't mutually exclusive. However, any submissions at this point have to be carefully handled with respect to the OR. That's essentially why mass public code contributions have been ceased for now.

AZIronman
08-21-2009, 11:39 PM
by "soon" can we expect to see this update in august?

kalaminu
08-22-2009, 03:18 AM
by "soon" can we expect to see this update in august?

LOL Yoy know you're not going to get an answer to that one :D

This little bit of communication from someone involved with the project is great though. A few words can go a long way sometimes. While I/we understand that all the devs resources and time is going into the OR a little post like this soothes the nerves of us players who are too stupid to code and help in any other way than test. So thankyou for this little ray of sunshine and ROLL ON THE PATCH hehe :D

Tosheden
08-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Remember, the OR and this next patch are two different things. If we were to finish the OR, you wouldn't even notice, as it's not content. This patch however will most definitely be noticeable.

Sure we would... we'd say bai bai to 1/1 bug once and for all :D

Wen Talross
08-23-2009, 04:41 AM
http://www.coolfreeimages.net/images/thankyou/thank_you_05.jpg

<---- to everybody, I don't like the reading the main thread debate anymore makes me sad :(

Oh oh Nargalorn!?!?! :D :D Give me a Nargalorn and people and I'm a happy camper :)

Vlock
08-23-2009, 06:12 AM
As always I support the devs in this project above all. I dont ask for updates on status, but I do appreciate when people such as yourself keep us posted Ekaika. Thanks.

Craigybbz
08-23-2009, 08:49 AM
yeh thanks for the information ekaika hope to see an update by the 1st of september maybe :)

Tanni
08-23-2009, 09:02 AM
:) Mahalo Ekaika, and I agree with Electro with hopes of CH!

TK-386
08-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Sounds good. More then good!

amphitryon
08-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks all! You rock!

Its ironic in a nice way, even Nova TC, with tha game in an unfinished state, is actually in a BETTER state (or at minimum, equal) than when it was launched by SOE back in 2003. Think all what you have RIGHT NOW with SWGEmu that wasnt available in the live game in June of 2003.

Thats impressive for an Open Source project..to exceed the performance and quality levels of the commercial version.

Exciting stuff, and again thanks!

BigEvil
08-24-2009, 07:00 AM
:) Mahalo Ekaika, and I agree with Electro with hopes of CH!

Me too. Quite excited to try CH. I have no experience at it, so my first few forays may end very badly. LOL. :p

Master Chief
08-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Creature Handler: The power to ride Kimogilas (at least in Pre-CU days, if I can remember. If so, SWGEmu should recreate that epic experience).

Electro
08-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Kimo's were never mountable. Unless they are in NGE or something. They never were in Pre-CU or CU.

Audune
08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
iirc there were some animals that "could" be mounted, but not by normal character means, aka, showoff CSR's, lol

Like Rancor's I think....

I'd love to ride a Kimo v.v

Electro
08-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't know about CSR special mounts. I think Rancors became mountable in NGE, along with other large (or flying) creatures like the Peko Peko. Maybe.

I didn't stick around for NGE, so I can't say for sure, but I remember reading something like that and I remember a pic of a Rancor mount (unless it was PS'd).

Audune
08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah I'm not talking about NGE....

Rodd
08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
<3 updates!!!!! Thanks!

Destruction
08-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't know about CSR special mounts. I think Rancors became mountable in NGE, along with other large (or flying) creatures like the Peko Peko. Maybe.

I didn't stick around for NGE, so I can't say for sure, but I remember reading something like that and I remember a pic of a Rancor mount (unless it was PS'd).

they have rancor mounts now but all the creatures are smaller

Tyyr
08-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Me too. Quite excited to try CH. I have no experience at it, so my first few forays may end very badly. LOL.

I'm with BigEvil on this was not one of my 28 professions.

Destruction
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
its fun, lots of fun

Tobel
08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks all! You rock!

Its ironic in a nice way, even Nova TC, with tha game in an unfinished state, is actually in a BETTER state (or at minimum, equal) than when it was launched by SOE back in 2003. Think all what you have RIGHT NOW with SWGEmu that wasnt available in the live game in June of 2003.

Thats impressive for an Open Source project..to exceed the performance and quality levels of the commercial version.

Exciting stuff, and again thanks!

Good points made there :) I remember the great launch day, which I spent in the chat rooms rushing to log in whenever someone yelled, SERVERS UP! Waiting and hoping for my Starsider to be amongst the first to rise.

Good times :D

jermat
08-25-2009, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Electro;400862]I don't know about CSR special mounts. I think Rancors became mountable in NGE, along with other large (or flying) creatures like the Peko Peko. Maybe.

lol peko peko albatross as a mount. is that true in nge? if so thats ****in hilarious

KroniK
08-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeh its true, theres a youtube vid with it.

Garrion
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
They desperately reaching for anything they can to get people to go play their garbage dump (wait a sec I might have just given garbage dumps a bad name).

ANewHope
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Grauls were mountable.

Faith13HF
08-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I really want a wipe >_>

Joshino
09-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Whats going on with the staff changes ? Is there an update included somewhere in another thread?

SWGEmu GM's planning for the beta? Could this mean that the update is going to be Very major? Will we be a phase off beta...

SO basically EC's have become GM's meaning they will be more involved with every aspect of the tc...

Omegataco
09-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Whats going on with the staff changes ? Is there an update included somewhere in another thread?

SWGEmu GM's planning for the beta? Could this mean that the update is going to be Very major? Will we be a phase off beta...

SO basically EC's have become GM's meaning they will be more involved with every aspect of the tc...

Where did you hear this?

Joshino
09-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Where did you hear this?

look at the bottom bar for the staff.

CSR's have gone also.

Perhaps merging with EC's?

Craigybbz
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
seriously josh! :) good find mate :)

Audune
09-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Didn't you know? Its a Smurf Disease =/

inyri
09-03-2009, 04:58 PM

SO basically EC's have become GM's meaning they will be more involved with every aspect of the tc...Nothing has changed with EC's. CSR's have just been renamed GM.

Itek
09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Hmm good find I have a weird feeling this update is going to happen very soon :)

Joshino
09-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Nothing has changed with EC's. CSR's have just been renamed GM.

Easy mistake for saying there isn't a EC thingy down there.

Ekaika
09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Some internal maneuvering is going on, we'll make sure to post when it's time to inform the community.

Joshino
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Some internal maneuvering is going on, we'll make sure to post when it's time to inform the community.

interesting indeed.

El'layn
09-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Easy mistake for saying there isn't a EC thingy down there.

I'm still here :D Still doing my thing!

<3 El'layn

Joshino
09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm still here :D Still doing my thing!

<3 El'layn

A covert agent of a secret organisation ?

El'layn
09-04-2009, 09:19 AM
A covert agent of a secret organisation ?

Blast! Someone discovered my plan to learn to code and put flowers all over Nym's Stronghold!

Meddling kids!

<3 El'layn

pgsparky
09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Yay!!!!!

gentedimare
09-05-2009, 03:49 AM
I first heard of SWH emu 3 years ago and i just supposed that the game would come in 1 or 2 months... i Had no idea of the work needed.Just thought some little changes cause we had the installaion disks. I had the pre-cu game installed still.
then i understood that this is really something incredible... i still not understand how they can do all this work.
I logged in TC Nova 1 month ago and i wasamazed on how much work they did.
We are all waiting with a smile on our faces and all the Team in our hearts.
Thanks you for your work and congrats: you some sort of genius :D

Tobel
09-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the clan gentedimare.

roodypooh
09-05-2009, 08:02 AM

You got it totally wrong mate. See they finally figured out that if you can take Vader and turn him from a 6 foot tall beast to a 2inch nuna you are officially a god. So its only fitting that they change thier tags from Csr's to GM for God Mode.......YES THIS IS ONLY A JOKE.

Anyways congrats on everyones Promotions/non-promotions of tags.

doomuk
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I was just remembering today how TOP this game was before SOE ****ed it up and then I found this place.

Re-installing as we speak and would be more than happy to help out in anyway I can.

YAY! to all the devs. Many many thanks!:p

cutey
09-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Welcome Doomuk!

shokurai
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
welcome doomuk, ya like many others i had poped into nova when it was brand new, and came back in recently and the change is night and day, the amount of work that has been done and how much more is in the game is astounding, keep up the good work guys

fixit6
09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
So very ...bored. Resorted to playing d2 lod...Aion and FE was trash....geh.

zZZzzzzzzzz....

Lobreeze
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
So very ...bored. Resorted to playing d2 lod...Aion and FE was trash....geh.

zZZzzzzzzzz....

Life's tough

Chayn
09-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Welcome doomuk and have fun :)

psyclown02
09-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Wasn't it mentioned in here that an update had a high possibility of happening this week?

ANewHope
09-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Yes, it was hinted that we were going to get an update this week.

fettman
09-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Small item of note there have been no new revisions to SVN in almost a week, I guess they are taking a break?

Emerzon
09-13-2009, 01:12 AM
So very ...bored. Resorted to playing d2 lod..

Hey not a bad choice, still one of my top favs :D