PDA

View Full Version : Downtime September 13th - 14th

PhantomLeader
09-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi guys.
As I'm sure you all have noticed, we've had a significant amount of downtime the past couple days. While most of us were excited about the new stuff flowing onto the TC, someone thought it would be funny to try to throw a wrench in our plans. For the past day and a half, we've been under a major DoS attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack), making the web and database server inaccessible. This caused the TC to go down as well, as it couldn't connect to the database.

I'd like to point out that no data was stolen nor lost; the only thing the attack accomplished was to keep us from using the servers.

We believe the issue to be fixed, though the webserver may go down periodically over the next couple days as we work on ways to increase security.

Thank you for your patience.

Rivendal
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
This explains a lot, I was wondering why I couldn't access the forums to feed my nerdy quest for knowledge on all things SWGemu related

Leodextrin
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Bastards!!!

How low must you sink...

Bandar
09-14-2009, 10:57 PM
appreciate the responce, and also hope yall get everything fixed and worked out!!!

Eagle
09-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Keep up the good work.

Ekaika
09-14-2009, 11:08 PM
You'd think we're all here for the same reason, a positive reason, something we all began this as united behind. Yet some people find it paramount to their ego's to stop at nothing to derail us from our goals.

People baffle me.

ashley66444
09-14-2009, 11:11 PM
you'd think we're all here for the same reason, a positive reason, something we all began this as united behind. Yet some people find it paramount to their ego's to stop at nothing to derail us from our goals.

People baffle me.

qfe

Biophilia
09-14-2009, 11:11 PM
sounds like they may have identified possible security issues. Thanks for bug testing?

Bandar
09-14-2009, 11:13 PM
You'd think we're all here for the same reason, a positive reason, something we all began this as united behind. Yet some people find it paramount to their ego's to stop at nothing to derail us from our goals.

People baffle me.

I Agree! but you know how some people can be.. more than likely its someone who doesnt want to see the emu completed (SWGemu haters -aKa- people who still support the NGE...etc.) Either that or just someone trying to be funny.

-Devil-
bet there was someone at SoE's HQ giggling while starting the DoS attack.

Labyrinth

People baffle me.
I guess every positive has a negative. :|

Good luck with the security guys. As others have said, keep up the good work.

PhantomLeader
09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
sounds like they may have identified possible security issues. Thanks for bug testing?
Yea... not on the webserver please. We'd rather you contact us if you believe there's a security issue.

bet there was someone at SoE's HQ giggling while starting the DoS attack.
While I'm sure SOE is not thrilled with our progress, I highly doubt they'd risk legal action by encouraging such acts.

Tobel
09-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the info.

*goes back to hitting login repeatedly*

It's like launch day...

SethonC.
09-14-2009, 11:23 PM
lol why would someone DOS Emu?

Dame
09-14-2009, 11:23 PM
thanks for being ever-vigilant phantm and co.

Amitrov_Derinth
09-14-2009, 11:24 PM
It's like launch day...

Except less buggy. ;)

WWhermit
09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Phantom,

I'm very sorry and quite PISSED to hear that someone has done this. I guess it's just human nature for some people to get their thrills on bringing destruction to what others get satisfaction and joy out of.

Like someone else said, though, better to encounter this now, during a testing phase, then be farther along and have something more devastating happen.

I hope we (you) find out who this PoS is, and deal with them accordingly.

As always, we appreciate all your efforts, even through the unexpected encounters, such as these. You've done far more for us than you all realize! Keep up the great work, and do not be deterred.

WWhermit

DevDep
09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
so my password is said to be incorrect when i type it in... does this mean my account got screwed and i need to make a new account or is this occurring for everyone?

Adransus
09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
The Force lies within all of us, light and dark. Some choose to manifest their actions through the Dark Side (which is totally uncool int he real world but ingame is a different story) Steadfsat action will deter the vigilantes in the longterm.

MrBlonde
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Kids these days... so disheartening.

Ekaika
09-14-2009, 11:30 PM
so my password is said to be incorrect when i type it in... does this mean my account got screwed and i need to make a new account or is this occurring for everyone?

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29808

Not the correct place for this question.

Biophilia
09-14-2009, 11:31 PM
The Force lies within all of us, light and dark. Some choose to manifest their actions through the Dark Side (which is totally uncool int he real world but ingame is a different story) Steadfsat action will deter the vigilantes in the longterm.

life imitating art. It was said that SWGEmu will bring balance to mmorpgs!

DevDep
09-14-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29808

Not the correct place for this question.

haha sorry. you just taught me something new for the day!

PhantomLeader
09-14-2009, 11:33 PM
As ekaika said, this is the wrong place. That has little to do with the DoS; the TC still cannot connect to the user database (it still needs to be restarted), so it can't verify your password. Thus why you're seeing an incorrect password message.

Once the TC has been restarted your password will work fine.

Please do not create additional accounts; duplicate accounts are automatically removed.

gtyron
09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
What do you mean someone thought it would be hilarious, it was hilarious, I found it greatly entertaining that I could not enjoy a playable incarnation of one of the greatest games of all time for the first time in 4 years.

bahoes
09-14-2009, 11:36 PM
just got to wait for reset is it going to mean a new wipe again

Tosheden
09-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Well this clears up some things I kinda figured something was up when I couldnt access the site..Haters get mad.. and Haters do hateful things lol swgemu is giving them a reason too glad you guys are getting the kinks worked out keep up the great work :)

ANewHope
09-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Why would anyone do this?

It's an open-source community project run on donations. It's like burning down the humane society.. :(

shokurai
09-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Why would anyone do this?

It's an open-source community project run on donations. It's like burning down the humane society.. :(

same reason there are hackers, cause some people are sick in the head, and i agree with you

Gigabass
09-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Someone trying to DDoS a website for an open-project old game revival running for some time now... how sad could they get.
Keep up the good work :)

Janneka
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info.

*goes back to hitting login repeatedly*

It's like launch day...

Cant trying to log in repeatedly hurt the server?

Windssoul
09-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I would say the only thing they actually accomplished was helping us identify and fix security issues.

DevDep
09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I would say the only thing they actually accomplished was helping us identify and fix security issues.

I hope so!.. It's still hard to believe what it would actually be like if things were ruined ever.

gtyron
09-15-2009, 01:15 AM
same reason there are hackers, cause some people are sick in the head, and i agree with you

We have hackers because people want a challenge, and a DoS isn't really that creative for or challenging to computer security experts. Basically he was just knocking on the door so much that the resident couldn't hear legitimate users. This guy was just being a douche.

Edit: Some do it for money as well, of course.

bahoes
09-15-2009, 01:25 AM
server will be wiped tomorrow again

Dark Mandalore
09-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Probably one of those dumbasses who got banned and now screams bloody murder saying the emu is illegal or some BS like that and realized his crappy youtube videos arent doing anything to help him screw the emu over and that got his panties in a bunch so he tried a large dose of electronic retardation failing miserably.

If you find the retard direct him to my sig lol.

shokurai
09-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Probably one of those dumbasses who got banned and now screams bloody murder saying the emu is illegal or some BS like that and realized his crappy youtube videos arent doing anything to help him screw the emu over and that got his panties in a bunch so he tried a large dose of electronic retardation failing miserably.

i was thinking the same thing, frankly alot of those types are from crazy town, and need to get back on their meds

Joshino
09-15-2009, 01:41 AM
lol why would someone DOS Emu?

this >_<

Vlada
09-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Stupidity at its finest.

fettman
09-15-2009, 02:36 AM
the Everquest Emulator people have similar problems with their loginserver, it is a vulnerability in the netcode as a result of the reverse engineering process one of the former devs from that project now one of the devs of EQ2emu http://eq2emulator.net has fixed the problem with their login system his sn is image you can get a hold of him here http://eqemu.devnoob.com Im not sure how he did it but he implimentd some major security upgrades to the login server and since all soe games use the same netcode maybe you can talk to him hes a pretty good guy and will probably tell you how to shore up the LS Security. Hes prety much an expert on the SOE netcode encryption and protocols.

as for DoS attacking you cant get more lame then that. Im not a huge fan obviously but seriously if your reading this please know that you are a fail of epic scale.

BTW programmers are hackers crackers are the script kiddies that do DoS Attacks and crap like that please dont confuse the two

psyclown02
09-15-2009, 04:53 AM
sigh... and servers went down again..

xlxblackyxlx
09-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Hey, we had at least 2 hours of fun filled SWG action!

It was...great =] =] =] =] =]

Spade13
09-15-2009, 04:59 AM
2? I had close to 4 hours gaming wihtout server crashing^^
And it was DAM great!
Cant remember wehn i had so much fun with others online:D

xlxblackyxlx
09-15-2009, 05:01 AM
See! I lost track of time it was so fun! Aha

ziggystardust
09-15-2009, 05:02 AM
probably some NGE fanboi, wouldnt surprise me, or even Smed himself, the biggest NGE fanboi of all time.

juds91@hotmail.com
09-15-2009, 05:04 AM
OKAY so i remember this game since i was 8 then it just fell into a pit... sad face... now because of the wonderful workers of SWGemu I got to relive childhood one last time. For at least 3-4 hrs. I love you guys. :lightsaber:

juds91@hotmail.com
09-15-2009, 05:06 AM
ZOMG SWG pre cu....played 3 to 4 hrs....AND I JIZZED IN MY PANTS

Omegataco
09-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Glad to have you juds welcome to the Emu.

cRush
09-15-2009, 06:35 AM
the Everquest Emulator people have similar problems with their loginserver, it is a vulnerability in the netcode as a result of the reverse engineering process one of the former devs from that project now one of the devs of EQ2emu http://eq2emulator.net has fixed the problem with their login system his sn is image you can get a hold of him here http://eqemu.devnoob.com Im not sure how he did it but he implimentd some major security upgrades to the login server and since all soe games use the same netcode maybe you can talk to him hes a pretty good guy and will probably tell you how to shore up the LS Security. Hes prety much an expert on the SOE netcode encryption and protocols.

as for DoS attacking you cant get more lame then that. Im not a huge fan obviously but seriously if your reading this please know that you are a fail of epic scale.

BTW programmers are hackers crackers are the script kiddies that do DoS Attacks and crap like that please dont confuse the two

The attack wasn't on the login server.

bongandbeer
09-15-2009, 06:52 AM
i have absolutely no clue of programming.... but i have a question u may answer with ease,...

can the emu project, or the servers provided by you guys, made save against such attacks? i mean is there a way to block such attacks?

and,... cant u see the attackers IP or something? can u track this mofo down, and prevent him doing it again?

fettman
09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
The attack wasn't on the login server.

Oh... well crap it was an idea atlast, though that makes it even more lame.

Wint3rz
09-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Its gotta be SOE or another pre cu project who did this, if i remember correctly this isnt the first attack on swgemu.

Chayn
09-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Its gotta be SOE or another pre cu project who did this, if i remember correctly this isnt the first attack on swgemu.

We prolly shouldnt go down that road...

fettman
09-15-2009, 07:41 AM
I highly doubt SOE Would bother doin it that way one they are a major corporation and the FTC And FCC Would come down on them pretty hard for illegal activities, furthermore they have no issue ordering Cease and desist orders if they want something shut down, and in truth even though they cant do much LA Can if they really wanted to.

More likely is that it was just some script kiddie with too much time on their hands

webbwbb
09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
It doesn't necessarily even have to be because of who we are, it could be because of what we are: a website with nearly 100,000 registered users. If someone wants to make a name for themselves that is one means to that end. I am not saying this in any official capacity, it is more of me saying that I do not think that any assumptions should be made in such a situation.

opoke
09-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I am not saying this in any official capacity, it is more of me saying that I do not think that any assumptions should be made in such a situation.

QFE. Let's agree that talking about this is not productive. Let's all be patient until the problem is fixed and show whatever support we can for those hard working souls on bringing it back up for us to test (and play!).

Wen Talross
09-15-2009, 08:12 AM
i have absolutely no clue of programming.... but i have a question u may answer with ease,...

can the emu project, or the servers provided by you guys, made save against such attacks? i mean is there a way to block such attacks?

and,... cant u see the attackers IP or something? can u track this mofo down, and prevent him doing it again?

1.)Is there anyway to see the IP or the source of the denial-of-service attack?
2.)Even with high security and IPS measures, do DoS attacks still have a virulence to them that they could still be a threat?

DoS attacks are cyber-crimes, and I doubt SOE would do it as others said, as its got too much riding on it in a legal perspective if they do, not to mention negative publicity Sony will have to cop for it. I presume SWGemu would naturally have great security measures in place already so it will be okay.

Shueisha
09-15-2009, 08:42 AM
there is always one

2pacalypse
09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Edit: Some do it for money as well, of course.

How does one make money from being a *****?

just curious...

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but I'll try to answer these question.

a server can be protected, but only to a certain degree and never 100%, especially when it comes to protecting a public website from DDoS (Harder to separate DDoS connections and normal player connections) as far as I know there are only two defenses against DDoS, selective filtering of incoming connection which I doubt is possible to implement on a public website, or getting a new hardware + bigger bandwidth to handle more simultaneous connection - but its expensive and wont help if the attacker can match the limit.

As far as the attackers IP, generally it is possible to get an IP of the attacker, but only a fool will show his real IP. if the attackers has abit of sense and a basic understanding of how the Internet works (which, if he does DDoS I assume he has) then he will mask his identity either with some form of proxy, or dont participate in the attack directly and rather just have a botfarm do the work.

so all an IP ban will manage to do is block the proxy or block the botfarm (which might be comprised of innocent players like you and me) - not a very good solution.

p.s

I hope that whatever ***** decided to do the DDoS, gets his computer utterly destroyed.

Wen Talross
09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Just a comical thought on who the culprit could be:

http://burningbunnies.com/images/osama_bin_laden_1_.jpg

Gigabass
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
DDoS attacks are made from several computers... not just a single spamming packets, I believe.

lol @webbwbb getting 100...

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/cg.php?val=3580

Dialgo
09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Sounds like some people got jealous :)

Gigabass
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Nah just surprised, I don't even know any programming language hehe

webbwbb
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
For some reason people think that I somehow cheated but I did not. It is actually possible to get more than 100 and then they say that you are a cheater. Someone on the forums has 112 or something like that..

zalitz
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
DoS hackers EPIC FAIL

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/cg.php?val=7656
My computer geek score is greater than 52% of all people in the world! How do you compare? Click here to find out! (http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_cg.php?im)

2pacalypse
09-15-2009, 01:03 PM
is the DDoS still underway? cuz it seems that the login server is down for me :/ I cant login (Bad Password\Already logged in) for quite some time already

Master Chief
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM

Semper fi! :lightsaber:

DDoS attacks are made from several computers... not just a single spamming packets, I believe.

lol @webbwbb getting 100...

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/cg.php?val=3580

Also I'm terribly sorry I missed the drop. Can anyone please tell me what time people started storming SWGEmu TC Nova?
Well look at my sig. Although it's small, you can tell that I did decently considering for a lack of fluency in nearly every programming language.

Hangman
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I've a feeling the person(s) responsible are like any other criminal and have returned to the scene of the crime, to see the damage they have done (in other words, someone hear, now).

But more importantly. Thanks for the update and letting us know what happened. And it was awesome the 3 hours I had time to play!

Master Chief
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I just crashed when I was fighting some creature not too far away from Theed. Is anyone else having problems?

Scape
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Yep, its down

juds91@hotmail.com
09-15-2009, 01:58 PM
sad face, whats up with this. I played this morning for a good 2 hrs and now its gone all fruity loopy. It says online and i can view my character sheet but cant get into the game itself.

Labyrinth
09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I suggest checking the status on the left side of the website, under "Galaxies List" if it seems to be down; the online status on the character screen has never been accurate for me in that way.

Ekaika
09-15-2009, 02:09 PM
What's up with this is simply that you are logging into a development test server. By doing so, your activity exposes bugs in code that were not caught by the internal testing group, or were created by a new set a variables unreproducible in our internal environment.

The up/down is a part of this process, as new and unforeseen problems arise, and are adddressed.

Do not approach your time on our Test Center as you would a live server, you will likely be disappointed. We are, after all, in development, and what you are experiencing now is a critical part of the process. We appreciate everyone logging in to help us break the code, in the end it only serves to deliver to us all a more stable and bug free codebase.

Thanks for you support.

kaelvin
09-15-2009, 02:09 PM
well that is just plain stupidity.

Keono
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
No that is how they test for bugs and then fix them, so that in the future we will have live servers that don't crash every 30 minutes.

Buddha C
09-15-2009, 02:20 PM

Don't be disrespectful mate.

shokurai
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
i swear have any of you been in early beta testing for a MMO before cause its usually ALOT worse than this, way more crashes and bugs

Seaseme
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
A special thank you to the people who have to do crap like this. Grow up. We have.

markie1979
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Well although it kinda sucks some idiot is doing DoS attack on the server, and majorly lame to.>_<

I do want to show some appreciation for the the staff and the programmers who trying to get a stable version out and now have their time eaten by this idiot, since they now have to work around his mess.

People keep up the good work, we appreciate you anyway, anyhow, anywhere :D

With kind regards from Holland;)

Ekaika
09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Just so we're clear, the incident reported in the OP of this thread is over.. for now, anyway. My last post is in reference to the up/down times occurring over the last 24 hours. This is NOT related to additional DoS attacks.

xlxblackyxlx
09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Yea really. What we all need to understand is that there are going to be people in this world, who will just make other peoples lives worse. They will try to hinder us and our goals as much as possible and when it comes down to it we need to ask ourselves. Are we going to allow them to? Or are we going to stand up for ourselves and continue what we set out to do?

Ever since the original game was killed off, and the CU came I never thought there would be a game that hailed in comparison to this. World of Warcraft came close, but there was always that something missing. The few hours t his morning that I was able to play with no interruption brought back a piece of me that I have long forgotten. The more carefree, and happy version of myself.

To all you out there who want the game up right now and don't care about the development of it, try to understand that there are some things out of the Devs control. The game has been in the making for years now, what is a few days more? The game is up, we see it. We play it, and we find bugs. How else do you fix bugs? By finding them and reporting them. I'm sure that will come later. Right now there is a minor set back with this DoS attack, but I'm sure the brilliant team here will overcome this obstacle and get us playing once more.

On a more serious note though. Everyone who is playing a part to this game's development, thank you. The creators, and developers from all walks of life. We all have our flaws but you guys have shown many people just what a small group of concerned people can do when they set hearts to it. Thank you, from the bottom of mine.

- Blacky

bongandbeer
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
just a question "on topic" do we just have a downtime or is the server up and running as indicated by the server status to the left side?

xlxblackyxlx
09-15-2009, 02:41 PM
The server status hasn't been accurate the past few hours. All night it was working properly and would reflect when the server was up or down. Right now it's down though, and it was showing up so.

Keep trying to log in. That's my best guess for finding when it's back up. Or look for a post from someone.

juds91@hotmail.com
09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
i have to agree with blacky me n him played this game since we was little pplz and it shaped us into who we are today and then the CU came out and showed us that ppl dont care about the consumer, just profits. To the developing team, when i get money i will donate a large sum. i promice, but thats not for a while hehe. I appreciate you bringing back my childhood memories most people dont get those back in their lives. So Thank You Deeply.

Ekaika
09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
There are 3 possibilities when considering TC status:

1) Up - All indications report Test Center "Up" and you can log in properly.

2) Down - LPE hangs on "Connecting to Galaxy" indefinitely. Indicators show "Down"

3) Deadlocked - Indicators report Test Center "Up", however LPE responds like server down.

Deadlock, again, means that two processes are awaiting one another to finish. Simply put, it's a bug. As you faithful Emu'ers log in and start playing with the new patch, you expose new bugs, some of these deadlock the server. Our guys bring it down, check the logs, and attempt to fix it (unless they have class, a boss yelling at them, or screaming kids to tend to).

So, in this case, it's probably deadlocked. Chances are it will change again in minutes, and continue to do this through the next few days. No need to keep posting asking the question.

-Devil-
09-15-2009, 02:43 PM
just a question "on topic" do we just have a downtime or is the server up and running as indicated by the server status to the left side?

i think it is offline ... but not sure ... cant access IRC because of my handle ... and the main screen of the site shows Nova as online but on the forum it shows it offline ...

i have tried a few times today to log in, it lets me log in, i see the character screen which is blank for me, i go to create a character, and it shows it online there ... but will not let me create one ...

i click on it, and it sticks on the connecting window .. i cancel that, and it comes up with a thing saying i can not create another character on the server ...

after doing a search on the bug report thing that seems to happen when the server it's self is not online ...

so i will try again later on.

bongandbeer
09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
thanks for the info ekaika,

edit:

i did create a toon and in the station room were a lot of ppl ,... i was happy and lookin forward to ship myself to bestine,... ppl around me were teaching languages to each other ,.. lol ,... then i took the shuttle ran to a scout trainer and as he didnt teach me i thought ,... ok .... its down ,... there is this frakkin delay when the server goes offline,... it let u run around a bit but u cant do crap,.... heheheh,... damn ,.... now im stuch at char creation screen too,... with a toon ,... at last i had the chance to create one,...

edit 2:

now in in =D see ya in bestine lol,....

Spectre33
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Have any of you ever played warcrack on a big patch day? They usually underestimate the server downtime by 4+ hours and when they do bring the servers back up they usually end up crashing again within an hour. Even after they do a quick fix to stabilize the servers, the new content is usually riddled with bugs that were missed during their extensive internal testing.

Blizzard is the most successful mmo game company in the world with a budget of a small country and they still have all these issues with a staff 100x bigger than that working on this project. So to think that a handful of dedicated fans have been able to get this project this far along and put on a better debug effort than a company like Blizzard is simply an amazing testament to those working on this project. I salute you all and greatly appreciate all your hard work.

kaelvin
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
No that is how they test for bugs and then fix them, so that in the future we will have live servers that don't crash every 30 minutes.

im not responding to anything above my comment im responding to the fact that someone has the audacity to DOS attack an EMU.

or else i would have quoted.

kaelvin
09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Don't be disrespectful mate.

sorry for quick responding but i'm talking in reference to the topic not some side conversation about server status.

Edit: everybody knows when the server is down, its down, and when its up, its up.

xlxblackyxlx
09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
What's with the lightsaber wielding jawa's?

They are blue to me, yet owns me =X

Spade13
09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
But whats now? Everybody has huges laggs-is it another attack ?

Vlada
09-15-2009, 03:58 PM
But whats now? Everybody has huges laggs-is it another attack ?

Debugger is probably running, its causing massive lag, it is all part of the development process.

What's with the lightsaber wielding jawa's?

They are blue to me, yet owns me =X

IRC SWGEMUsupport channel, or find a GM in game and report the problem.

Glenac
09-15-2009, 03:58 PM
[nvm.]

Debugger is on.

odwill
09-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Vlada is correct, the debugger is running.

Spade13
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
And , if its okay to ask , how long will the debugger need to scan all files?
Im patient , dont missunderstand me :).Its just i dont have any experience in such things , its my first" non official" comunity game im in :D

Ekaika
09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Just hang back and watch the staff posts and threads.

We run logging and debugging to ensure we capture data relative to crashes or anomolies in code. It is always running, and it won't be turned off.

ShardFalcors
09-15-2009, 05:27 PM
fettman

It's nice to see you speaking with a purpose to help the comunity! Great job on the contact info!

Hedley
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
eh call me when the server isnt running like a fat guy away from a buffet line, ill be busy playing R:TW or something until the debugger is turned off.

Ekaika
09-15-2009, 06:22 PM
eh call me when the server isnt running like a fat guy away from a buffet line, ill be busy playing R:TW or something until the debugger is turned off.

See you on Suncrusher.

Spectre33
09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
See you on Suncrusher.

OMG! Suncrusher is up!!! jk I so wish, but until then I shall crush the lag and help test the content rain or shine! :lightsaber:

xbang21
09-15-2009, 06:44 PM
See you on Suncrusher.

whats this abouttt??????See you on Suncrusher?????? lets hope somthing biggg!!!!!:?:lightsaber: cant wait

Kayliaah
09-15-2009, 06:46 PM
whats this abouttt??????See you on Suncrusher?????? lets hope somthing biggg!!!!!:?:lightsaber: cant wait

Lol it's just in response to the whiner above him. :D
Meaning there won't be a debugger on Suncrusher, shouldn't be, if all goes well.

xbang21
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
ahh i see whats est. on the debug

borndead9921
09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
... ummm until suncrusher is up???
Somthing must have been lost in translation:rolleyes:

Leodextrin
09-15-2009, 07:05 PM
... ummm until suncrusher is up???
Somthing must have been lost in translation:rolleyes:

Debugger will be run on TC indefinitely. Suncrusher will not be run with the debugger (I'm assuming)

Spectre33
09-15-2009, 07:06 PM
haha I totally understood it and was joking about suncrusher being up. Thought putting jk after saying suncrusher was up would siginify my joke on the matter.

club4542001
09-15-2009, 07:06 PM
anyone else having issues logging in right now?

Kayliaah
09-15-2009, 07:07 PM
anyone else having issues logging in right now?

You need to read more. :p

club4542001
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
what u mean lol i been reading the posts don't see anything about logging issues it just booted me a few min ago

xlxblackyxlx
09-15-2009, 07:09 PM
The server is down again. Just have to be patient with it.

Kayliaah
09-15-2009, 07:10 PM
what u mean lol i been reading the posts don't see anything about logging issues it just booted me a few min ago

Orly?

Debugger running = high server lag = login issues.

The server is down again. Just have to be patient with it.

Nope.

Ashur
09-15-2009, 07:11 PM
server is deadlocked atm and theres no one available that can restart it :)

it will prolly not be up soon tonight.

EDIT* kay, dont be so damn fast on that save reply button lol

Kayliaah
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Poor server has been stressed too well by the debugger and lost its mind. :D

Now loop until it's restarted.

kay, dont be so damn fast on that save reply button lol

Sorry. :D

Ekaika
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
No, sorry, Edited my post.

Wen Talross
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Is the server still being DoS attacked, as well as going through the normal development process or has it stopped? (as per this thread)

Destruction
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
we are deadlocked

Viper01
09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I Agree! but you know how some people can be.. more than likely its someone who doesnt want to see the emu completed (SWGemu haters -aKa- people who still support the NGE...etc.) Either that or just someone trying to be funny.

Actually, more than likely it was someone who was either recently banned from the server or had a bad experience on it. DoS attacks are REALLY stupid, simply because they're easily tracked back to their source.

Had someone DoS my webserver once, I sent the log to THEIR ISP and the ***** lost his internet. Muhaha! :emperor:

Wen Talross
09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
we are deadlocked

I'm not asking about server status, I'm asking if the attacks are still occurring or if it was a one off.

Is it really that easy to track Viper01? Someone posted before that it would be quite difficult to do so, due to them most likely using a proxy or a bug-farm in order to launch these types of attacks.

Nordrem
09-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Is it really that easy to track Viper01? Someone posted before that it would be quite difficult to do so, due to them most likely using a proxy or a bug-farm in order to launch these types of attacks. I'd say It depends on how good the person is at that sort of thing and the method he went about to do it. Most everything leaves a trail, you just need to know how to hide it/find it depending on which side your on.

Poocho
09-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm not asking about server status, I'm asking if the attacks are still occurring or if it was a one off.

On page 6, posts 80 and 85 by Ekaika explain how the DoS attack is past (though we could always experience another one). The current downage is not caused by that.

zomick
09-15-2009, 09:32 PM
To the DoS attacker, just go off somewhere, douse yourself in kerosene and light your childish ass on fire and burn and if you somehow manage to live do it again. To the amazing crew who bless us with the emulator, I'm sorry you ACTUALLY have to deal with such *****s.. Thanks for all your work!

carpathian
09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Here, here!!

Ya know I may have not made many posts but I've followed this project all along. I have to say the wait no matter how long is going to be worth every minute.

People that try to destroy what this community is aspiring, will in the end be very lonely. This game and what it has meant to so many people pre CU will NEVER ever occur again. Even Blizzards billion dollar machine won't come close.

My point is this, anyone that tries to stray this community have to keep this in mind, these are people that had a love for something, they miss it they understand what it meant to others. So I dare these people to try and keep up with that.

Long live the EMU!!

Thanks all that have worked extremely hard to bring something so many miss and love!! :)

Viper01
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Is it really that easy to track Viper01? Someone posted before that it would be quite difficult to do so, due to them most likely using a proxy or a bug-farm in order to launch these types of attacks.

I'd say It depends on how good the person is at that sort of thing and the method he went about to do it. Most everything leaves a trail, you just need to know how to hide it/find it depending on which side your on.

Exactly right Nordrem. The problem with the internet is that it's one big network, and as long as your connected to it you can be backtracked. Even using a proxy won't save you, because all proxy hosts (to protect themselves) keep records of their connections. Even a DoS attack has a single source and single destination, no matter how many "hops" it makes.

The way a DoS works is every "hop" it takes the system doubles (or more) the data packets. You launch the DoS, which means you left a "signature" in the network packet. All the destination has to do is decrypt the packet and they can figure out who launched the DoS attack. Even if you use a proxy, that garbage packet still contains your network information. Most wannabe hackers aren't smart enough to use non-signed packets, and downloadable DoS programs don't do it either. So, unless the person is some uber hacker (which is HIGHLY unlikely) they've left you more than enough info to track them. Assuming you log your network traffic, that is.

To put it in layman's terms. It would be like sending a thief to rob someone's house, and that thief then accidentally dropped your French business card while doing it. If the home owner can read French, you're nailed.

Back on the downtime topic...

I understand that the current downtime is due to a "Deadlock" on the server. Since we just went through a lengthy wait for a huge update, I think it would be equally useful for the community to "wait" while the emu devs come up with a good quality server re-starter. I sincerely doubt anyone will complain about having to wait (on server progress) for such a useful tool to be built. I've had experience with other emu's (non SWG) where community devs have come up with these re-starter tools and they've made a HUGE impact on the community's happiness.

Basically, for those who don't know, a re-starter is a separate program that monitors the various parts of the server (login, world, character, etc) and if any of them stop functioning, "crash", or become deadlocked it automatically re-starts it. You can therefore see how useful such a program would be during a beta phase, where bugs are expected, and even more so when the server is actually released to the public.

In the event such a re-starter already exists, I'd suggest that a process be added to it to check for these types of deadlocks.

Wen Talross
09-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for clarifying :)

Rud3boy
09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Yea really. What we all need to understand is that there are going to be people in this world, who will just make other peoples lives worse. They will try to hinder us and our goals as much as possible and when it comes down to it we need to ask ourselves. Are we going to allow them to? Or are we going to stand up for ourselves and continue what we set out to do?

Ever since the original game was killed off, and the CU came I never thought there would be a game that hailed in comparison to this. World of Warcraft came close, but there was always that something missing. The few hours t his morning that I was able to play with no interruption brought back a piece of me that I have long forgotten. The more carefree, and happy version of myself.

To all you out there who want the game up right now and don't care about the development of it, try to understand that there are some things out of the Devs control. The game has been in the making for years now, what is a few days more? The game is up, we see it. We play it, and we find bugs. How else do you fix bugs? By finding them and reporting them. I'm sure that will come later. Right now there is a minor set back with this DoS attack, but I'm sure the brilliant team here will overcome this obstacle and get us playing once more.

On a more serious note though. Everyone who is playing a part to this game's development, thank you. The creators, and developers from all walks of life. We all have our flaws but you guys have shown many people just what a small group of concerned people can do when they set hearts to it. Thank you, from the bottom of mine.

- Blacky

You are right, never played such a game again. SWGEMU 4 ever!

Gigabass
09-16-2009, 01:04 AM
The thing is that atm server restarts after deadlock have to be done manual, because once the server restarts, the logs go poof. If the logs go poof devs won't know what caused deadlock. But if they keep deadlock for a while they can check log, see what caused bug, and try a fix /thinker one.

Kayliaah
09-16-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29908&page=2

Rawr.

Wow already 248 people logged on the server. :D

duffmanrc
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM
and its back down.

Tobel
09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Thank you, powers that be, for lowering the spawn density! I can make it to a mission!

DarthRevan
09-16-2009, 02:20 PM
"While I'm sure SOE is not thrilled with our progress, I highly doubt they'd risk legal action by encouraging such acts"

I think you must suspect everyone who may be to curious to EMU's progress. But i think there is a good part in this, you will increase you're security and everything will be ok! ;)

Kyle
09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Exactly right Nordrem. The problem with the internet is that it's one big network, and as long as your connected to it you can be backtracked. Even using a proxy won't save you, because all proxy hosts (to protect themselves) keep records of their connections. Even a DoS attack has a single source and single destination, no matter how many "hops" it makes.

The way a DoS works is every "hop" it takes the system doubles (or more) the data packets. You launch the DoS, which means you left a "signature" in the network packet. All the destination has to do is decrypt the packet and they can figure out who launched the DoS attack. Even if you use a proxy, that garbage packet still contains your network information. Most wannabe hackers aren't smart enough to use non-signed packets, and downloadable DoS programs don't do it either. So, unless the person is some uber hacker (which is HIGHLY unlikely) they've left you more than enough info to track them. Assuming you log your network traffic, that is.

To put it in layman's terms. It would be like sending a thief to rob someone's house, and that thief then accidentally dropped your French business card while doing it. If the home owner can read French, you're nailed.

Back on the downtime topic...

I understand that the current downtime is due to a "Deadlock" on the server. Since we just went through a lengthy wait for a huge update, I think it would be equally useful for the community to "wait" while the emu devs come up with a good quality server re-starter. I sincerely doubt anyone will complain about having to wait (on server progress) for such a useful tool to be built. I've had experience with other emu's (non SWG) where community devs have come up with these re-starter tools and they've made a HUGE impact on the community's happiness.

Basically, for those who don't know, a re-starter is a separate program that monitors the various parts of the server (login, world, character, etc) and if any of them stop functioning, "crash", or become deadlocked it automatically re-starts it. You can therefore see how useful such a program would be during a beta phase, where bugs are expected, and even more so when the server is actually released to the public.

In the event such a re-starter already exists, I'd suggest that a process be added to it to check for these types of deadlocks.

A restarter kills the debugger, and then we don't have the debugging environment to actually fix the problem. So, thats why we will never use it, until the server is done.

xlxblackyxlx
09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Should we be reporting bugs actively or do the Devs know what bugs are in the game as we play and test it

corbaer
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Should we be reporting bugs actively or do the Devs know what bugs are in the game as we play and test it
Sign up at http://www.swgemu.com/bugs/main_page.php and report, report, report... that is why we're all here.

darclear
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
and its back down.

Ok, good. I just found this place, and thought I installed it wrong. Its not just me that cannot login. :deadhorse:

MikeCool
09-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Hmm somebody trying to unravel our plans for new stuff on TC and a new update came out 3-4 days ago.

I thought everything was going to be all right till i seen this. Well good luck finding out who it is.

Viper01
09-18-2009, 01:40 AM
This is an "old" post... The DDoS attack was over a long time ago. It's now just standard bug crashes/deadlocks, nothing to worry about.

Viper01
09-18-2009, 01:43 AM
A restarter kills the debugger, and then we don't have the debugging environment to actually fix the problem. So, thats why we will never use it, until the server is done.

I never returned to thank you for your reply. Now I know the reason there isn't a restarter, and it's a dam good one. Thanks! :D

EDIT: And I wouldn't normally double-post but I couldn't find the "Delete" option...

Lobreeze
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I never returned to thank you for your reply. Now I know the reason there isn't a restarter, and it's a dam good one. Thanks! :D

EDIT: And I wouldn't normally double-post but I couldn't find the "Delete" option...

Click EDIT -----------> Go Advanced

Then the option should be in the new window at the top.

EDIT:

Doesn't seem like you can delete in this part of the forums though.

Master Chief
09-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I believe that there has yet to be a solution to the recent server crashes. If otherwise, please update me. I've been absent since 9-15.

cristianfontan
09-20-2009, 01:20 PM
aaaaahhhhh

MacNugget88
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
That would explain my problem...

Ekaika
10-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Outdated now.