PDA

View Full Version : [NOVA] 9/16 - 9/17 Up/Down/Deadlocks

Ekaika
09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi folks,

Day two of the mega-patch here. For those of you with us this morning, you saw our server guys bringing TC up and down working through problems as they arose. Midday U.S. time they went to bed. Sometime shortly after TC deadlocked, and has remained in that state. As always, our guys should be around in a few hours to check the logs, make some adjustments, and kickstart Nova back online.

This pattern will likely repeat, until the majority of the nasties have been purged from the new code. Thanks, always, for your support, and helping us create a stable and clean codebase.

edit - Day 3 now! For the moment things appear stable. The guys are actively working on the server. Soon, they will needs life's necessities such as sleep, work for pay, and food. If Nova goes down then it will again be later tonight before it comes back up.

DevDep
09-17-2009, 01:34 AM
hahah good to know it'll be a few hours so I can actually go to bed instead of waiting 4 more hours!! thanks for the update though, really saved me some sleep :)

Vlock
09-17-2009, 01:37 AM
ive been addicted to the game since I read about the update yesterday lol. hope the issues get resolved. ty to the devs.

Stormcrow623
09-17-2009, 01:40 AM
K thanx for this, was really needed!! haha :) hope to play tomorrow morning GoodNight!!
:)

catunderthestars
09-17-2009, 01:45 AM
ahhh soooo cloooooooose... its like waiting for Christmas morning.... i just wana run down stairs and tear open a lil corner of the wrapping paper....

Duskao
09-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Really glad to hear it. Might be able to squeeze some play time in in the morning :D

StoneInc
09-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks team. :)

HammerMaster
09-17-2009, 01:50 AM
second the X-mas feeling

kaelvin
its like a star wars Christmas Eve =D

loftkilla
heh, I am bursting with giddy anticipation...

Stormcrow623
09-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Woot!! Thought i would make two posts to express my excitement

Dafole
09-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Just perfect lol i just woke up and are now loging in cause dead lock just got released :D

Ekaika
09-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Sorry haha, the guys just restarted it!

RedFive
09-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Sweet, I was about to go to bed.

hendy21
09-17-2009, 09:11 AM
So I'm assuming they are still working on it? I just tried to login and got the bad password error, but it did say the connection to the login server is open...

corbaer
09-17-2009, 09:13 AM
So I'm assuming they are still working on it? I just tried to login and got the bad password error, but it did say the connection to the login server is open...
Was up for like 7 hours. Went down just a little while ago.

Stormcrow623
09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
OK so it is back down? at this very moment? cause when i try to log in it says login error auto registration is disabled

Bobbycheese
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah you can pretty safely assume its down/being worked on until you are able to sign in normally.

Stormcrow623
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
KK thanks!

Tobel
09-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Rah rah rhee, kick em in the knee!

Rah rah rhass, kick em in the... other knee!!

Goooo team!

/cheesygrin

hendy21
09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Ah damn, I was hoping to play a bit before my back to back classes started. Oh well guess I'll have to wait until after class...

Cheers to the dev team!

Adransus
09-17-2009, 01:02 PM
All I did was play for a few minutes and I instantly felt hooked again with a large number of nOObs at mos eisley...can't wait to go home n play this for a few hours

Leytran
09-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm especially psyked about missions. I don't know why, but I always liked that. So here's to you folks. And the moment it's possible here's to the genocide of little critters around mos eisley :D

Ekaika
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd like to reiterate, that for the moment, we have people available to work on downtimes and bugs. However, in a while they will become unavailable, and should TC deadlock or go down, it will likely remain in that state until later tonight. Please be patient as we proceed with development. Everyone has to work and sleep.

markie1979
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
And that they may have a good sleep aswell;):D

Stormcrow623
09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Sleep? whats that haha

Ekowraith
09-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Ahh - it's down again. Patience, I suppose. I hear the first few launch days are supposed to be like this. :)

s281extreme
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
the devs are just plain ole' miracle workers. bringing the world we lost back and better than ever.

blatantlyobvious
09-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Woke up at 4 am this morning so I could some playtime in before school as the servers always seem to go down before I get home at ~6pm eastern.

Hopefully this pattern dies down soon. I'd love to play the game at a normal time!

KroniK
09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Once all the new bugs associated with the latest update gets squished the TC will be back to normal.

Millshive
09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
in all honesty kronik you guys have done such a great job already. even with the bummer bugs its still the best game i've ever played. and i've played my share of MMO's :D keep up the great work!!!

vasemo
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
hazzah good to hear lol

Talty
09-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Where did I put that can of Raid?

Say, the first post here really does a great job of explaining the downtime and reasons for. You all might consider STICKY'ing it for those just logging in as we move forward.

More importantly, Thank you. I enjoy this server more than I'd like to admit.

/smile;
/salute;
/ui action toolbarSlot00

Lobreeze
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Where did I put that can of Raid?

Say, the first post here really does a great job of explaining the downtime and reasons for. You all might consider STICKY'ing it for those just logging in as we move forward.

More importantly, Thank you. I enjoy this server more than I'd like to admit.

/smile;
/salute;
/ui action toolbarSlot00

Unfortunately that requires people to read before they post, which clearly doesn't happen.

Talty
09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately that requires people to read before they post, which clearly doesn't happen.

Touche...

Hedley
09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
down again

Nerves
09-17-2009, 07:52 PM
yeah but its ok if its down, they will work on it asap and get it up, doing great team! keep up the work im loving this!

Lobreeze
09-17-2009, 08:11 PM
down again

Thanks, we know.

Kaglaaz
09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Every time I get a few hours to play the last few nights I look and see that the server is up... hit the login and it's down... I'm starting to get a complex *twitch twitch* thinking I'm not allowed to play *twitch*

Rippster
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Every time I get a few hours to play the last few nights I look and see that the server is up... hit the login and it's down... I'm starting to get a complex *twitch twitch* thinking I'm not allowed to play *twitch*

Lol, you too eh? I've played 15 minutes over the last few nights. I think the people that work (U.S. time) are going to have a hard time playing because we all try to get on after work and it freezes up. :p

Ekaika
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
It's not you.. we're just in bug squishing phase.

So the server went down about an hour or two ago. It's not deadlocked, so that's encouraging, however I can't give you an ETA on when it might come back up. Apparently there's an issue with a certain data packet that might be causing or contributing to the deadlocks. TC might have been taken down to attempt to correct this, rather than repeating the same deadlock cycle over and over. I'll update more as I find out.

Bobbycheese
09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah dont worry guys they have it down for a legitimate reason, not just to deprive people of the game. I'd rather wait and have a better finished product after the bug squashing. Hopefully other people feel the same.

UniCrash
09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
woot i got a few hours in before it went down..haha i got off work early to do so :P

Kaglaaz
09-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Got no problem with bug squishing. Spent a number of years as a Network Admin and Systems Admin. I have a heathy respect for bug squashing and testing. I'm just hoping to help by actually being in game instead of staring at the load screen. (glad I have 2 monitors and a TV card in the computer)

I'm actually laughing a bit at my rotten luck. Just got the kids off to bed and sit down to play and it's down... again. My toon is probably still about 2 km outside of Coronet where it was when the server FIRST crashed. I haven't gotten back in since... :D

Rippster
09-17-2009, 08:33 PM
woot i got a few hours in before it went down..haha i got off work early to do so :P

CHEATER! :p

*cough cough*

Hmm...I think I might be coming down with something, perhaps I should stay home tomorrow. :D

Spectre33
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I am causing the crashes... every time I track down a high concentration of a resource I really need, the server goes down just as I set down to start mining it. The game obviously doesn't want me to do armorsmithing :(

Dafole
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Um i have a kinda of topic question.
When they are working on the server are the actually there by the server or doing it over the net? I would think they are by the server sense when it dead locks it will be kinda hard to reset sense its probably are working at 100%. Which leads me to ask, is the server located at someones private residence or in a server park?
Maby there is a post telling the specs and what not but i haven't found one, and again sorry for of topic. Im just so curious :D

Nerves
09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
lol, im glad they are bug squashing, the more they do that the better game we will play, i can wait it out

EDIT**Um i have a kinda of topic question.
When they are working on the server are the actually there by the server or doing it over the net? I would think they are by the server sense when it dead locks it will be kinda hard to reset sense its probably are working at 100%. Which leads me to ask, is the server located at someones private residence or in a server park?
Maby there is a post telling the specs and what not but i haven't found one, and again sorry for of topic. Im just so curious :D

ive been sooo curious about this also, just felt it would be a little much to ask

s281extreme
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
ha ive been waiting to play the original since i got cut off by my parents start of 8th grade. Im graduated and am still itching to play it again. Cheers to the devs for all the work they've done, something i doubt id ever be able to finish :)

FEDS-91
09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
lol, im glad they are bug squashing, the more they do that the better game we will play, i can wait it out

EDIT**

ive been sooo curious about this also, just felt it would be a little much to ask

IMO, I think that is what really killed the live version of SWG out of the gate. Soooo many people were fed up with the constant bugs, they left and vowed never to come back. That coupled with lack of content and unfinished professions, it really never had a chance. If the original devs had just done something to keep the investors & LA off their backs for even another 3 months (6 would have been ideal), they might have had a better shot. Less bugs, more content, MUCH happier playerbase. They could have bought themselves a little time to hash out the rest of the professions. People would have still been pissed, but it wouldn't have been near as bad.

If the emu devs keep fixing this stuff like they are before they actually release it, they'll make up for the biggest mistake the original had.

Poocho
09-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Lol, you too eh? I've played 15 minutes over the last few nights. I think the people that work (U.S. time) are going to have a hard time playing because we all try to get on after work and it freezes up. :p

Heh, I'm starting to feel the same way. My only real time to play is in the evenings CST, and whenever I get on I can only spend a little bit of time before it comes down. Now, I'm not complaining, just commenting.

I guess if Dafole can push the envelope of what's OK to ask, then maybe I can push it a bit further... Is there any way for us to get a general idea/schedule of when we can expect certain things to happen? So far Ekaika has been kind enough to repeatedly fill us in and let us know that the European devs can get around to fixing things 'in a few more hours,' but would it be in the realm of possibility for us to have some general times of when to expect that. I.e. "The hours of 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST are when deadlocking issues are most likely to be resolved." Or some such.

Again, it may be pushing way to far, but I'll risk asking. I fully understand if that's an unreasonable request.

Thanks heaps to all the devs for all their hard work. I appreciate it and hope they pace themselves so they don't burn out. And thanks also to all the community relations members who keep us informed as well as they do.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho :)

Bobbycheese
09-17-2009, 09:16 PM
IMO, I think that is what really killed the live version of SWG out of the gate. Soooo many people were fed up with the constant bugs, they left and vowed never to come back. That coupled with lack of content and unfinished professions, it really never had a chance. If the original devs had just done something to keep the investors & LA off their backs for even another 3 months (6 would have been ideal), they might have had a better shot. Less bugs, more content, MUCH happier playerbase. They could have bought themselves a little time to hash out the rest of the professions. People would have still been pissed, but it wouldn't have been near as bad.

If the emu devs keep fixing this stuff like they are before they actually release it, they'll make up for the biggest mistake the original had.

i agree. i only hope that people remember that the swgemu devs are not paid employees, as the soe devs were. i know most people who use the forums regularly would think thats s stupid thing to point out, but these guys are doing this in their spare time and it gets me flustered when people get upset about server downtime/etc. (not that anyone has in this thread, but inevitably there will be like 15 "wtf i cant log in" threads. so if anyone reads this and is considering making another, pls dont)

uriel1972
09-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I am so hooked again, my first mmo and it has ruined the others for me. I am so heartbroken by downtime, but I realise it's necessary. I love all involved in the project for bringing it back, now if only I wasn't crawling up the walls due to the deadlocks/code fixes.

carpathian
09-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah I would like to take a minute to thank this entire community and those ALL involved in bringing back the undisputed heavy weight champion of the world!! Swg PRE-CU!!!

I am extremely excited just the moments since the patch I could get on were so cool, The difference of the emu now compared to the first time i logged in a few years back is amazing!! Awesome works Devs!!

Ashaman
09-17-2009, 09:43 PM
For some reason I'm reminded of this :rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYc05gZFly0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYc05gZFly0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edit: Fixed video

carpathian
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
LMAO I could not have said it better, so true so so damn true LOL

UniCrash
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
some asked for server specs....

http://www.swgemu.com/swgemu/images/headers/bw-server.png

shagalot
09-17-2009, 09:50 PM

exactly.

The devs spent minimal time going back and fixing MAJOR bugs that should have been fixed before the release, and instead spent most of their resources on crappy expansion sets (minus JTL)

corbaer
09-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Is there any way for us to get a general idea/schedule of when we can expect certain things to happen?
Not really.

So far Ekaika has been kind enough to repeatedly fill us in and let us know that the European devs can get around to fixing things 'in a few more hours,' but would it be in the realm of possibility for us to have some general times of when to expect that. I.e. "The hours of 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST are when deadlocking issues are most likely to be resolved." Or some such.
I'll go out on a limb and try to answer, with how it's been explained to me. Subject to corrections by STAFF.

A crash caused by a bug or circumstance that does not deadlock the server, will result in the info about the crash being reviewed as soon as someone with the necessary permissions and skills can, and a fix applied as soon as someone with the necessary permissions and skill can.

A crash caused by a bug or circumstance that does deadlock the server, will result in the same. But, there are far less people who meet the permissions/skills needed to get to the info on the deadlock cause... and they live in Europe. So their normal "overnight" hours would be somewhere in-between 6pm CST and 4am CST. There's also other real-life considerations for all of the devs/admins.

So in essence... if it doesn't go down with a deadlock, the odds are better that it's going to go back up quicker than if it does deadlock... but irrespective of how quickly the crash info can be retrieved, it also must be analyzed, and fixed... often needing input from more than just one person.

FEDS-91
09-17-2009, 09:54 PM
i agree. i only hope that people remember that the swgemu devs are not paid employees, as the soe devs were. i know most people who use the forums regularly would think thats s stupid thing to point out, but these guys are doing this in their spare time and it gets me flustered when people get upset about server downtime/etc. (not that anyone has in this thread, but inevitably there will be like 15 "wtf i cant log in" threads. so if anyone reads this and is considering making another, pls dont)

Couldn't agree more.

I am so hooked again, my first mmo and it has ruined the others for me.

While not my first MMO (AO was, but I only played it until SWG was ready and I got into beta). I totally agree. Nothing has even compared to SWG especially the depth of the game. Vanguard was as close as I found. Still never gave me that "feeling" that I still can't wait to relive.

Ekaika
09-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Um i have a kinda of topic question.

No. Our team is global. We have devs and staff in countries all over the planet. Our hosting is remote, and our guys handle things as such. The hardware itself is maintained by the hosting services, which is what we pay them for with your most appreciated donations =)

@Poocho - It's not really viable to suggest times, as people have work/families/lives to contend with. However, typically, barring any unforeseen events, we usually see the server stability guys from around 12am EST until around 12pm EST (at the latest). Give it +/- 4 hours to account for variables and you're close.

Nerves
09-17-2009, 10:00 PM
LMAO I could not have said it better, so true so so damn true LOL

/wave
hey blade!!

carpathian
09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey Nerves!

/waves back

hope to see ya in game :)

OldMaster
09-20-2009, 09:46 AM