PDA

View Full Version : [NOVA] 9/18 Connecting to Galaxy...

learningdisease
09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
As some of you may have realized, when you attempt to log-in your characters you may be stuck at "Connecting to Galaxy...".

This is due to the User Cap being implemented at 600 simultaneous characters to help keep the lag that users are experiencing to a minimum. Although we can support far more users, we do use a shared bandwidth connection for Nova, and thus at peak times our bandwidth capabilities are being spread out, and things may become a bit laggy.

Please be patient and attempt to log in as much as you can, and thanks to everyone who has been pushing our Test Center to its limits!

Thanks,

carpathian
09-18-2009, 04:08 PM
That explains it, I have not been able to get in for 4 days. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. Anyways any idea of when or if the limit will be increased?? just curious is all. I reinstalled took 7 hours on 56k because I thought maybe it was on my side, maybe you all can add a note when the server is full to the login screen so folks know its full or something. Just my few cents worth.

At any rate excellent work all, glad to see things are going as well as they are and I'm very appreciative of all the teams hard work I know this task is nothing short of humongous.

cyas :)

TK-386
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Alright. Is it an idea to restrict multiple characters online at once? Or 2 max?

aevan
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
That explains it, I have not been able to get in for 4 days. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. Anyways any idea of when or if the limit will be increased?? just curious is all. I reinstalled took 7 hours on 56k because I thought maybe it was on my side, maybe you all can add a note when the server is full to the login screen so folks know its full or something. Just my few cents worth.

cyas :)

Look on the Front Page here. Right hand side, it has Network Stats. Lists how many users are on Nova. If its over 600, try again

monkeyshorts
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Just 600?

With the way the server population seems to be expanding, I can see this becoming an issue.

Nishido
09-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Quick question. If we are stuck at connecting to galaxy, will it connect when a spot is free, or do we need to keep going back to char select?

Raven118
09-18-2009, 04:17 PM
im not going to lie i dont like this idea seeing as only 600 people can join the server now and this is a big community now probably not even half of the community can join the server now

carpathian
09-18-2009, 04:19 PM
lol I would love to look at the messages on the side of the site however my 56k connection does not load half the things on the site and my sat connect is down. All I was saying was to add a "server full" message to the login in screen to avoid confusion. Not a bad idea I didn't think, would help us with less fortunate connection. Where I live I cannot get cable/dsl so I have no choice :(

opoke
09-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Makes sense. Glad to get some login time when I can. Played a good deal today since I was off work. I'll take a rest during peak. Give someone else a shot.

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know these kinds of things. Even if it isn't necessarily good news, it's just better to know. Might prevent a few tantrums.

KroniK
09-18-2009, 04:28 PM
When the server goes live the cap will not be at 600.

Vlada
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I think disabling multiple instances would make room for everyone to log on. But i guess that's not that easy to do at this point.

learningdisease
09-18-2009, 04:31 PM
The implementation of the 600 user cap has nothing to do with our codebase's capabilities.
The lag (and thus the cap) is due to it being peak bandwidth usage hours (US-wide) at the moment, and we use shared bandwidth (as dedicated costs tens of thousands of dollars). When the internet is not so busy with end of day/end of week banking and market transactions, the amount of users able to play on our Test Center without lag increases dramatically.

Dracken
09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Just 600?

With the way the server population seems to be expanding, I can see this becoming an issue.

Here is the thing..... this is a TEST SERVER. Lets say it again together, TEST SERVER, people dont seem to understand this. Right now the devs have decided 600 people is plenty, to TEST the server. You are not supposed to PLAY on a TEST server you are there to stress the server and progress thru the content to check for bugs. If your looking for a PLAYABLE server you will need to wait for Suncrusher, or other servers to go live.

EDGEY
09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Look on the Front Page here. Right hand side, it has Network Stats. Lists how many users are on Nova. If its over 600, try again

Ok smarty pants...

Left side of the screen:
TC: Nova

Right side of the screen:
SWGEmu Forums: 196 Users Online
Nova Test Center: ONLINE
SWGEmu IRC: 273 clients Online

Status page:
TC: Nova (Online)
Members
Now connected: 171 | Maximum was: 239
Accounts
Active: 14530 | Deleted: 641
Uptime
Server is online for a 12:20
Last status check was 11 Jul 2009 at 23:20

lunatec
09-18-2009, 04:36 PM
*insert reason #2432532 to donate to the project*

This has been a public service announcement.

Brought to you by: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/91/235355936_eca1521ed1.jpg The Fruity Oaty Bar (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2409249965471634315#)

vformrh
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I think disabling multiple instances would make room for everyone to log on. But i guess that's not that easy to do at this point.

That doesn't sound bad..

Dracken
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Ya it seems they have fixed it to at least show if the server is up or down but it doesnt give an accurate account of how many players are online

shokurai
09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
all part of the process , better than a lag fest where we cant get anything done and work out the bugs

carpathian
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Woot!! I got the white boxes on the right front side to load! I changed the protocol to t6 in my settings and it bumped my connect rate up just enough where now it loads.

krachera
09-18-2009, 04:46 PM
what are the shared bandwith of nova atm?

Omegataco
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah I think maybe restricting multiple instancing for 2 players may be a good thing to do. This way we have room for more testers, and not just people who have 6 afk surveyers forcing the ground to cough up metal. Of course I'm not sure how much work this would require to be able to do.

Lobreeze
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Well we need personal extractors then or you won't see squat from crafters for a LONG time. Do you have any idea how many resources are needed for something like WS?

aevan
09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok smarty pants...

Left side of the screen:
TC: Nova

Right side of the screen:
SWGEmu Forums: 196 Users Online
Nova Test Center: ONLINE
SWGEmu IRC: 273 clients Online

Status page:
Members
Accounts
Uptime
Last status check was 11 Jul 2009 at 23:20

guy, i was offering a solution to his problem. not being smart about it.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1683/newbitmapimagepc.png

kaelvin
09-18-2009, 05:55 PM
600 is a plenty, because i have a first hand experience of this lag caused by server over pop. and all i could do was stand around and look at the cool scenery.

Lobreeze
09-18-2009, 05:56 PM
600 is a plenty, because i have a first hand experience of this lag caused by server over pop. and all i could do was stand around and look at the cool scenery.

You sure that wasn't the debugger?

RagnarokStrike
09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
There is only 465 right now, and I still can't connect....

Spectre33
09-18-2009, 07:23 PM

As a crafter and one who would be more likely to use multiple instances, I have to agree putting a cap on how many instances each player can have running would be ideal right now. It is better to have 600 live, active players testing content than 200 active players with their 400 bots afk farming.

zomick
09-18-2009, 07:59 PM
never been so hard to get on NOVA till now lol. Before this amazing update around 200ish were on and now- 600 lol! gotta love it though!

DevDep
09-18-2009, 09:58 PM
wow, bummer. im just glad i haven't made any donations now. when you all decide to let us play freely i'll be making some

lavosslayer
09-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with SOE staging the closure of 12 more servers...won't be long before NGE Galaxies is no more and all the fans of the game are here!

zomick
09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
wow, bummer. im just glad i haven't made any donations now. when you all decide to let us play freely i'll be making some

Wow, that's a very asinine thing to say.. AND this is a TEST SERVER! Not live, your not meant to "play" your there to test! The fact that they even let us get on to test is amazing, go SWGANH and see if you get to, what was that word you used, "PLAY." some people..

Side note and off topic(but then again this entire post was haha) is SWG ANH even still going?

Ghhost974
09-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Alright. Is it an idea to restrict multiple characters online at once? Or 2 max?

have multiple toons on the same account on at the same time. Well for one its against TOS to actually have more than one account for the TC anyways is it not? Last but not least having multi-accounts/toons logged in at the same is taking away from another person actually testing something because on one account youre doing something while the other is AFK. I could of sworn reading something on the lines of this some where.

The fact of WS taking so many resources or what ever to make anything. When you first started on your first account in the SOE version did you have 6 other toons surveying for you? More than likely you didnt. So starting like this is the about the way you started playing on the original game i would think. Just my 2 cents on that whole subject.

Only 1 of YOUR toons should be logged on at once. If you're running multiple accounts at the same one being AFK you're screwing over other players wanting to get on the TC

/endrant

Rippster
09-18-2009, 10:29 PM

You haven't made a donation in over a year, I don't think they feel threatened.

Btw, nice tude.

illipthgore
09-18-2009, 11:19 PM

with that attitude your hardly of the caliber of person i want to spend my time playing with,you act as if you have a right to acess TC NOVA,you dont none of us do the donations are in no way shape or form a letter of entitlement.You should just leave,your obviously just out for your self and this community is about working together,most of the time.

fixit6
09-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Sigh. Maybe the lag might more so be from over spawn lairs and monster. Oh wells, suppose getting on TC will be mission impossible. :(

Ekaika
09-18-2009, 11:48 PM
As with all areas of development.. it's a known problem and being worked on. Never fear, we want you all to be able to get on TC, I promise.

Kayliaah
09-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Lol I didn't know there was a cap.

Those AFK bots will ruin everything. :|

Millshive
09-19-2009, 12:51 AM
have multiple toons on the same account on at the same time. Well for one its against TOS to actually have more than one account for the TC anyways is it not? Last but not least having multi-accounts/toons logged in at the same is taking away from another person actually testing something because on one account youre doing something while the other is AFK. I could of sworn reading something on the lines of this some where.

The fact of WS taking so many resources or what ever to make anything. When you first started on your first account in the SOE version did you have 6 other toons surveying for you? More than likely you didnt. So starting like this is the about the way you started playing on the original game i would think. Just my 2 cents on that whole subject.

Only 1 of YOUR toons should be logged on at once. If you're running multiple accounts at the same one being AFK you're screwing over other players wanting to get on the TC

/endrant

your right in that its against the ToS to have Multiple accounts, but not multiple characters. what these guys are doing is running the game several times and logging back into the same account and activating anouther character. basicaly its a loophole. yea its inconvinent and does pull from the pop cap, which is new. but still not against ToS.

Scape
09-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I have yet to make an AFK bot but there are plenty of reasons to make one, not the least of which if you solo you get an exp bonus with a group. I can't see this tactic not being used when SC goes live so I think the TC better deal with it now then not.

Stormcrow623
09-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Why must the forums lie to me

Wen Talross
09-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Its because you donate for your own pleasure and not for the bigger picture ;) The difference a donation makes is to help the SWGemu community out to make a better system and such in which would improve everyone's enjoyment of the game when it comes live, if one has the financial ability to donate.

http://missionalrevolution.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/jfk-make-a-difference.jpg

Thats what I think anyway :) The interruptions which are occurring are due to the discovery of things which, when fixed, will improve the server, hence one step closer to everyone's dreams. If it is said that people can't have x amount of characters, then it is valid to restrict it, and still have a testable environment for the achievement of everyone's goals and dreams. Even so, One can enjoy one square of chocolate as much or even more so, then the person who would divulge a whole block ;)

Phase
09-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Wen you're just coated in deep quotes, aren't you?

Wen Talross
09-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Wen you're just coated in deep quotes, aren't you?

Sure am, quotes are beautiful :)

kaelvin
09-19-2009, 02:13 AM
very sure, i have witnessed debugger, and it was only for about fifteen minutes and then it cleared up.You sure that wasn't the debugger?

Spade13
09-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Hmm the servers online - 28 users are online.
But im still stucking at conecting to galaxy-is it sure , that there isnt a bug too ?

Mervent
09-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Same here.

Ekowraith
09-19-2009, 03:12 AM
I just got on the server. Took me 10 or so minutes waiting on "Connecting..."

PurpleCliff
09-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Won't let me create a character ... I guess it's because of this?

EDIT: Nah probably not, don't worry. It works now.

Tobel
09-19-2009, 07:17 AM

:slap:

Vlada
09-19-2009, 07:35 AM

Here, this will help you understand... :)

A donation is a gift given by physical or legal persons, typically for charitable purposes and/or to benefit a cause.

Donations are gifts given without return consideration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation

fixit6
09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Lol I didn't know there was a cap.

Those AFK bots will ruin everything. :|

I would only run two chars at most, if harvesters where activated. But that is moot, haven't been able to even get online at all. Ah well, TC is TC; been here a long time, I will wait until things calm down...hopefulley can play again some time soon.... :)

Lubbe
09-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Should be like how it was on live. If you were afk for a certain amount of time you will be disconnected.

Spade13
09-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Allright -but one Question. How do i find out if the Servers just full or deadlocked?
It means the same : Stucking at " Conecting to Galaxy".
And it allready shows the same at swgemu.com.

I cant conect now and there are only 471 users online.So i guess , its now deadlocked , or ?

DevDep
09-19-2009, 09:47 AM
You haven't made a donation in over a year, I don't think they feel threatened.

Btw, nice tude.

Yes, I made this account about a year ago, but had never really got on it regularly until about 2 weeks ago. Donations, in order to help this keep going, are a necessity and I am all for it. I am planning on donating at least 15.00 a month when server goes live, to feel like i'm not cheating!! :)

I understand this is only a test server, I guess I was a little steamed when I found out a cap had been put on the server. I know there are perfect reasons to why, but I just can't deal with it! :(

Sorry for the dirty post, I didn't mean anything rude!

cRush
09-19-2009, 09:53 AM
We are working on ways to get more people on.

Soon, you will only be allowed to log in three characters from the same account simultaneously. Additionally, we will limit the number of characters you can create in a week to 10.

We are also working on some other optimizations as they become apparent that will ultimately allow us to get more and more users online. Please bear with us, and understand that we currently can only afford so much bandwidth based on the funds we have available.

Thanks.

xavjer
09-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Additionally, we will limit the number of characters you can create in a week to 10.

Thanks.

Meaning some people actually create more ?:?

DevDep
09-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the update crush. It seems like a lot is unknown, and people begin to make assumptions. It's always great to get an idea of what's going down!

dragonx2040
09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
We are working on ways to get more people on.

Soon, you will only be allowed to log in three characters from the same account simultaneously. Additionally, we will limit the number of characters you can create in a week to 10.

We are also working on some other optimizations as they become apparent that will ultimately allow us to get more and more users online. Please bear with us, and understand that we currently can only afford so much bandwidth based on the funds we have available.

Thanks.

.____________. I have 2 characters right now. o_o

markie1979
09-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't even see the reason you would log in at the same time with more then 3 chars :| I myself hardly do it with 2, most of the time with only 1 char.

But anyway i think the log in server is also bugged, right now only 158 ppl online on the server it says, but i can't get in. It keeps hanging on char screen.

Either that or a deadlock i mean ;)

Still, i'll keep on trying till i can get in again:p

Veranish
09-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I concur with the idea that there might be a bug in addition, as I've been trying most of the day yesterday, off and on while doing other things, and it just doesn't seem to connect, ever. Upwards of four hours straight, from 10 pm to 1 am, and from 10-11am today.
The side bar, even now, says 158 users online.

I'm wondering, if you guys get enough donations will you be able to afford better servers/bandwith and thus up the number of players online at a time?

shilo
09-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I actually was able to log on this morning. Created my character, trained in some novice proffessions. than I went to buy some ranged weapons so i could start working on marksman..

I than lost connection to SWG, and since than have not been able to log on..

Dafole
09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't even see the reason you would log in at the same time with more then 3 chars :| I myself hardly do it with 2, most of the time with only 1 char.

But anyway i think the log in server is also bugged, right now only 158 ppl online on the server it says, but i can't get in. It keeps hanging on char screen.

Either that or a deadlock i mean ;)

Still, i'll keep on trying till i can get in again:p

Sense you dont have personal extractors working 5 characters will help you sample faster then just 3, and while sampling and grinding your crafter you can afk an ent to. Get the point?

Biophilia
09-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I actually was able to log on this morning. Created my character, trained in some novice proffessions. than I went to buy some ranged weapons so i could start working on marksman..

I than lost connection to SWG, and since than have not been able to log on..

this is pretty much what happened to me.

Spade13
09-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah Server seems deadlocked much of the time today-at least i didnt read anything else.

Biophilia
09-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah Server seems deadlocked much of the time today-at least i didnt read anything else.

well it's offline now, but it wasn't deadlocked before because the server status showed 100+ people on. I don't anyone can get on during a deadlock.

Lobreeze
09-19-2009, 11:58 AM
well it's offline now, but it wasn't deadlocked before because the server status showed 100+ people on. I don't anyone can get on during a deadlock.

Oh I can assure you that it was deadlocked.

Spade13
09-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah but the swgemu netstat isnt realy precise.
The last days , evertime i looked , where 471 users online.Dont you think thats a bit too constantly?

TheExile
09-19-2009, 12:02 PM
The last days , evertime i looked , where 471 users online.Dont you think thats a bit too constantly?
The more, the better. That just means more eyes out there finding bugs, and testing server stability.

Spade13
09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
The more, the better. That just means more eyes out there finding bugs, and testing server stability.

What i meant , Exile , was , i cant imaginate , that every time i look , doesnt matter which day it was , there will be EXACTLY the same number of players on.This is , so i suggest , nearly impossible , except the cap is 600 and there are shown 600.But 471?

Spade13
09-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Hm got online now-lost conection after a few seconds.Some ppl seems to dont have any problems.How come ?

Biophilia
09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh I can assure you that it was deadlocked.

I can assure you that I wont take your word for it unless you show some reasoning or knowledge on the subject.

its been changing consistently for me. I've watched it hit the 600 cap during peak hours and decrease during off hours. I'm thinking that those stats get frozen after a deadlock or server crash and that is what you were seeing. And maybe the server deadlocked this morning, the stats froze and I thought people were still on when then weren't.

zomick
09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
hell its says 747 online now lol

Plizik
09-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Well I personally don't think its right that people can be playing 5 toons at once, 2 max is fine, but 5?
All thats doing is getting them ahead faster, and keeping other people from playing because of server cap.

zomick
09-19-2009, 11:11 PM
i think the cap should stay... the lag is horrendous.. but then again more people on the more bugs are found just my op.

Wen Talross
09-19-2009, 11:26 PM
5 Characters are not required for you to sample and grind your crafter. I have one character and sample/grind my chef/tailor stuff perfectly fine :) Its ludicrous to say you need 5 characters to do so. Hell, even 2 characters would do the job. One character does the job fine, fair enough you don't get heaps of materials, its still fun, enjoyable, and you still get to sample enough to create items that you sell on the bazaar or sell to the junk dealer.

Also watch out where you're looking at the statistics. I have found the most reliable statistics are on the front page: http://www.swgemu.com/?module=Frontpage&action=Show.

Front Page: Network Stats

* SWGEmu Forums: 69 Users Online
* Nova Test Center: 642 Users Online
* SWGEmu IRC: 251 clients Online 20/09/09 - 2:20pm EST GMT+10

More information is much different with the same time.

SWGEmu → Galaxies list
o
Members
o
Accounts
o
Uptime
o Last status check was 11 Jul 2009 at 23:20

Hence, use the front page. When I was playing last night Australian time, and the game stopped working, I checked the frontpage and it said OFFLINE, whereas the Galaxies List said ONLINE. Just saying, check both to be 100% sure, if you want to know how many are online, or about status.

If you are still unsure about the status, go onto IRC (http://www.swgemu.com/?module=Irc&action=Show), don't ask about server info, but simply type /join #test, and all you have to do is look at the information bar and it'll tell you whats happening (OFFLINE, ONLINE, DEADLOCKED)

Ekaika
09-19-2009, 11:41 PM
The discrepancy of indicators is known, we'll get to it as soon as we can allocate resources.

Dafole
09-20-2009, 06:07 AM
5 Characters are not required for you to sample and grind your crafter. I have one character and sample/grind my chef/tailor stuff perfectly fine :) Its ludicrous to say you need 5 characters to do so. Hell, even 2 characters would do the job. One character does the job fine, fair enough you don't get heaps of materials, its still fun, enjoyable, and you still get to sample enough to create items that you sell on the bazaar or sell to the junk dealer.

I never did say you had to have 5 toons on at onces, it just helps you farm allot of materials.

Ditchbuster
09-20-2009, 12:25 PM
ive seen a few people talk about the galaxies list stats and quote them... did anyone ever notice that it says the last time it was updated was in July? i think thats why it says online on that page. also why it shows a different number for online and max players. def use the net stats on the front page. or i prefer IRC #test

Lobreeze
09-20-2009, 12:43 PM
5 Characters are not required for you to sample and grind your crafter. I have one character and sample/grind my chef/tailor stuff perfectly fine Its ludicrous to say you need 5 characters to do so. Hell, even 2 characters would do the job. One character does the job fine, fair enough you don't get heaps of materials, its still fun, enjoyable, and you still get to sample enough to create items that you sell on the bazaar or sell to the junk dealer.

Goodluck grinding an elite crafting prof with one toon pulling resources. LOL

On live you needed something like 550 THOUSAND resources... that's 550,000. Might as well bring the frogs back if you expect someone to pull that much with one toon... 20-24 resources every 30 seconds, do the math.

EDIT:

78.1 hours for 225,000 resources (taking 2x XP into account.) assuming you have a 85%+ spawn JUST to pull the resources, let alone craft. Plus you need to run between toons, survey for spawns, etc, etc.

Omegataco
09-20-2009, 12:44 PM
806 right now. New record!