PDA

View Full Version : What we learned.

Ramsey
04-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Stress test has been canned.

We are having a lot of trouble with freebsd, especially with the load we experienced. There was also a lot of new internal code that was being tested, as well as some unstable stuff that surfaced today. So its back to fixing.

I really don't know what to say but, sorry. I mean its a stress test and we EXPECT things to go wrong, but people have been telling me "nothing new waste of time gtfo". When really there was a lot of things new, inside anyway, and new things to test out internally. Just because you cant SEE something in game on our servers doesn't mean we haven't added anything new.

I just want you guys to understand the reasons for our development actions. We are taking things slow because this software will be used for years to come. We would rather take 100 hours of development time to work on something that, in game, isn't visually beautiful, than to slop together something that looks nice but will fail 3 months down the road.

The themed stress test was a good idea but as a project, we aren't ready for it. What we will have to do is stick to traditional stress testing, except adding features at a more consistent rate so it isn't as boring. We will still have stress tests but they will have a bit more quality control than this one has.

TA and Oru are ****in exhausted and just went to bed. I've been pulling all nighters almost every night since thursday. So we're all pretty tired.

We walked away from this test wiser than before, and more prepared to handle these events.

I hope you'll understand. On behalf of the (TIREDDDDDDDD) swgemu team,
Ramsey.

KRMT4C
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
First! yeah!

Clad
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
dont worry ramsey, we understand! we love you swgemu team <3 :P

Runny
04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
G'nite then lol

Mike Walsh
<Ramsey> Freebsd is having trouble with core3 still, but I think I've figured it out
<Ramsey> no idea when the **** I'll have an eta, but it may very well mean the test is back on, more information shortly I guess

!!!!!!!!

Legoklas
well, atleast we learned something...
Night guys.

eraser34
Till next time, gj guys!

reomyr
3rd

toilet_duck
Much respect to the dev team. We'll all be ready when you guys are! :)

smielke2
edit

Blud Lust
It's alright. We know you guys are working hard. You all still kick ass!!

tarrant
No Problem Ramsey, after a day or so, just let us know whats going on from here!

Zharatustra
Thnx team...

Theoderean
you can were my +1 luck t-shirt for the next one.

vaselsekta
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
you have my support and the support of 500 other people

zipman
you just gotta keep on keepin on and everything works out for the best

Mart
like u say its a stress test ,we kinda expect issues. At least you know what to do now.
No rush man just take your time and figure it out.
Still behind u as always

Killuminati
rest up! we can enjoy the game later :)

Arklari
I know you're trying hard, and I understand the pain (oh... I know... ungrateful *****s).

Anyway, as disappointed as I may be I'm alright with that, because you worked your asses off for something which benefits us, and I personally thank you (as I'm sure many others do as well.)

Bobafett
In my mind the test was still a success, you learnt and it will help the team out a lot. Good work.

sirah
If you've run into an issue with FreeBSD, hit me up in a PM...it may be something I've run into myself.

otkadeto
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi.

The core 3 was good.
When it will be up.

That is for now.

Goodbye.

Communist
Sorry it didn't work out guys, You did an excellent job!

Here's to the next time!

POPE
I've been telling people all day just this. It was a big step for the EMU and any errors that come up are unexpected. The point is that the team has learned a lot from this event, in all that that entails.

zaybertamer
Well, I'm just glad you guys are doing what you are doing, and are so dedicated. You guys deserve as much sleep as you can get right now, for working so hard. Thanks swgemu team!

EVILJUDE
coming away from anything with something learned is always a good thing. all you devs go get your much needed rest. I am sure we all shall still be here....LOL

Exarch
Hey there will always be bumps in the road, my confidence is not lessened one bit because of this. at least this was a learning experience for the Devs, and keep up the good work.

ryaku
This just brings us one step closer to perfection of the emu!

Spooky
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
It's all good, problems are to be expected in a test. there are more weekends to come and we will be here ready.

You have done great work, keep it up.

Don't let the bedbugs bite

viperfang94
We all learn somehow.

kaiz
we can wait. you guys need a rest.

ae77guy
we win some, we loose some..But if we are still taking ground, That's all what counts..

Teaster
04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all your hard works guys. We all really do appreciate it :D

guide
04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
atleast something was learned from this, becuase life in itself is a lesson to be learned

TheOldOrder
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Well... at least theres this http://www.maxior.pl/?p=index&id=2449&6 . I mean if nothing else at least we got a Death Star.

deltaforce07
Ah well :) keep up the good work itll all work out in the end :D

Mike Walsh
Guys don't fret!

Ramsey just posted an update in irc;

<Ramsey> Freebsd is having trouble with core3 still, but I think I've figured it out
<Ramsey> no idea when the **** I'll have an eta, but it may very well mean the test is back on, more information shortly I guess

Geral
Do you guys need more members? It sounds like its too much for you all to really handle all at once. This is a huge MMO that took the work of hundreds of people to get it working.

yzarc
04-15-2007, 08:21 PM
<Ramsey> we will take the extra 100 hours of development, to build something that doesnt LOOK nice, but is functionally beautiful
<Ramsey> than to build something that is astectically beautiful, and have it fail 3 months down the road

And I knew that I was waiting on the right team to do this. I don't care how long I have to wait, as long as we get this, and it works

shastadude15
First!!!!

thama
Well the next time will be bether :D

Balthz
04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
its all good dood, i called into work sick for this test and for it not to work im a bit disapointed i think thats understandable but i totaly understand and im fine with it dont worry dood. get some sleep and start fresh tomarrow everyone needs a break sometimes.

just keep on trucking and ignore the ignorant ppl that are being rude tell them they can make their own emu if they cant deal with it

Yazaa
well, i can't say that i understand since i haven't gone through what you awesome devs have, staying up all night trying to fix what went bad... thats priceless.

I would dream to be able to stand infront of 500 people and have great news and say that the core3 was a success, but today was just another step towards a goal that one day will happend.

You guys did great!
Now, get a well deserved sleep.

You guys deserve it.

arokace
Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting into this.

El vado
04-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Good try anyway, like the old saying "better to have tryed an fail than not have tryed at all"
im not saying you guys fail:)

Belco
04-15-2007, 08:24 PM
/tiphat dev team :)

pooga
The test was obviously a faliure, what they were trying to do didn't go through. But one step back, can lead to two steps forward.

Mike Walsh
Guys don't fret!!

Ramsey just posted an update in irc, make sure you sit down; :)

Legoklas
04-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Guys don't fret!!

Ramsey just posted an update in irc, make sure you sit down; :)

have you read this thread?

Pake
04-15-2007, 08:26 PM
We all know you guys are working hard to make a quality product and I for one wouldn't have it any way, even if I have to wait another year to play it. Thanks for the work, you guys can't be complemented enough.

Ekaika
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
/support

Don't listen to those greedy impatient little ****s. You can only do what you can do.

Xizor
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
You guys have done alot of work and Im sure I speak for all of us when I say that I love you!! Haha. No need for appologies for this not turning out so well, you guys have done alot of hard work and are bringing back the dream of the REAL SWG again. Thx again!

nostyleguy
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Another fine example of the proffessionalism demonstrated by this team. Gotta say i'd rather be dissapointed for 1 night at this stage in development, than be dissapointed eternally down the road when the short-cuts would surface.

Dvol
04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Well Ramsey **** happens things dont allways go as planned..Thing is i think people are forgetting what Stress Test means..So it broke oh well..Im sure you guys will figure it out..Till then thanks for the update.

Sap
04-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Even though the test didn't go as expected at least you pushed yourselves. If things always work out perfectly it just means your not pushing the limits and yourself hard enough. Looking forward to the top 10 and the next stress test.

Cheers

OmaddaSzool
04-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey, we are just here to help when we can.
I know that the test is more for you guys and for behind-the-scenes than anything else, so... it makes no difference if we got to play or not.
This is all about the big picture.

Anyway, I know what it is like to be responsible for artistic creations and such and I know what it is like to mash your brains working to make deadlines.
It's tiring work to put yourself out on the line and try and come through for everyone and you guys should know that it is totally appreciated!

We'll be here to test and help whenever we can.

May the force be with you.

Valaidiar
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
There is a saying in the corporate world. Today, we are one day closer to our goals than we were yesterday(ambiguous ETA speech) So, here's to another day closer to glory fellas!

TheOldOrder
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Heck just the fact that you guys can tell to us something like this "Yeah so things didnt go as we planed its our fault, sorry everyone. Were gonna plan for something better in a week or something."
If you can do that its far beyond the expectations of 95% of your peeps, its just that 5% that always make sure to try and take some anger out.

I think we can all say that we appreciate what your doing and that you dont act like SOE and blame us for such and such problems that are occuring. Im also pretty sure that after a while people will have a turnaround and see that this was actually some quite useful information gathered.

Komenu
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
take your time guys, its worth the wait

Kom

DeCastro
04-15-2007, 08:44 PM
It's all good.

wellic
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
/bow2;

as long as the the dev team is willing, the community is on call.

Nurdbot
04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
take your time guys, its worth the wait

Kom
QFE.

Ignore the whingy 14 year old ****es who were ragging you. They can go back to WoW for all we care.

Keep up the good honest and professional work dev team.

thelkyyra
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the work you guys have put into this. And always Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Komenu
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
lol, I dont even let my friends say the "W" word around me anymore. If they want to refer to wow they have to call it wog, world of gay. I know, Im creative. It was kind of a bummer that we didnt get to test anything out tonight, but honestly, seeying how excited I was, the night of launch is something to look forward to, as I was basically pissing myself over a test of the defence of anchorhead haha.

Kom

AdohoS
04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
You guys did well, keep doing what you guys do best. ;)

@that godwarrior guy that said the devs suck right after Ramsey announced the canning of the test: I hope you somehow get a ban hard coded into the emu for you. Asshat...

FrozenBacon
04-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, hey that is the point of a stress test. Not all stress tests go smoothly. I figured it was going to be delayed or cancelled because of how long it was taking. Well, keep on working guys. Everyone apprecaties your work.

Akelei
04-15-2007, 09:37 PM
lol

akitto
04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Dont worry if this stress test failed, we arent your judge and jury we just patient fans of SWG when it was worth playing. The long wait for the precu will be worth it , specially if you guys take the time (wich you are and I am grateful)
to do it right.

So far from what you guys had to work with you are all doing a remarkable job. I am shocked at the progress you have made. For the most part PVP is going off without a hitch.

Good job guys and keep up the good work! If you see me on the CoreIII TC give me a shout!

-Akitto-

Lincspears
04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
even testing the core 3 i was calling all my friends and just blabbing on and on about it, what you guys "dev team" are doing is AMAZING!!!! keep it up, even if there are bumps in the road ITS WELL WORTH IT...and from another greatful fan THANK YOU!!!

Futuramaman
04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
No problems Ramsey, anything that was ever worth doing took lots of time.

sid_lowca
04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey, we're all here for the same reason, and we know you guys are working towards it.
Stress-testing has proven its self useful today.

Abbie
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, even though today didn't go as planned. You guys have done/are doing a great job. You can't be successful without a few bumps in the road. ;)

mcnutface
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Its understandable, have a nice long sleep.

Volgin
04-15-2007, 09:55 PM
It's all good devs.. We really appreciate everything you have done.. You guys are really working your asses off, and the community can't thank you enough. I'm anxiously awaiting the next big test. Take a break guys, you deserve it.

Bilmi
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
do not give up, we need you.

Canabe
04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Thank you for doing it right the first time through development. Keep up the good work!

chesapeakechubs
04-15-2007, 10:26 PM
No need for apologies. You are doing the best you can to revive a game that was brutally murdered, and you are doing an amazing job thus far. If people cannot understand that this stuff isn't a magic wand kind of creation, thats their tough cookies.

Just know that the heart of this community understands that this undertaking is no easy feat, and we would much rather have a working game we can all get back to loving, than a broken half rotting corpse.

If people want a quick fix, they should go back to SOE to be driven insane. I will however stay patient, and be happy that someone is doing it right this time.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

Jongo
04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Get some well-deserved rest. At least we are moving in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

Rezec
04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I didnt make it to the stress test tonight, but I have followed up with the Emu for a good long time now. I am very impressed with what you guys have done here. The original game had twice more devs that what you guys are working with and so far the code is doing better. I rather wait for a good outcome than a broken game like SOE makes. We all have to admit that no matter how much we loved PreCU it still had its problems, but it doesnt have not as long as we have the patience to wait and to help support these guys and their work. SWGEMU will get the job done, Thank You.

Murf
04-15-2007, 10:56 PM
No worries. I'll do my best to be there for the next one.

Just playing the little bit I have lately has been a wonderful gift.

ThEgg
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Understood..
/signed

I'll send you and the team some chocolate.

Rudy
04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Anybody who has any knowledge with programming has to respect what you guys are doing. With a new OS and new code, things are expected to go wrong. That is the whole purpose of the stress test.

Anyone *****ing about things going amiss has no idea what programming is like, and their opinions should be taken with less than a grain of salt.

You guys are doing a great job and all the work you are putting in is extremely appreciated. I'm sure there are plenty of guys like me here who know what you are dealing with and have the utmost respect for what you are doing. Who gives a **** what the tards think.

Rock on!

Vreed
04-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, guys, if the game were finished, then something like this would be startling and maybe upsetting....but it's not finished, that's the whole point! If testing always went smoothly, why test at all? Yer all doin' great.

gusu
04-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Honestly I am glad to see that you guys aren't rushing to release the emu. It will be better if you spend more time on it.

Plus **** man its free and no one said you had to do it:rolleyes:

Thanks for the work. Once I can get my SWG working I'll join you guys on a stress test.

Just one thing. Possibly leaving a server up 24/7 and just updating it as the server gets updated would be better... but yet this would cause much stress and posting about OMFG WHY IS THERE A CAP?! So... I don't know... maybe this way is the best.:p

pimp818
04-15-2007, 11:55 PM
It's a good thing you guys are taking it slow. But i'm still hoping for another stress test.:p

matt71tx
04-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Although it did not work out, the SWGEmu team gets an A for effort. Take a break now and regroup after you all rested a bit. After a break you all will be in a better position to move forward.

Also don't let those idiots who are complaining bring you guys down. These juvenile people are whining and complaining since they don't understand the value of what you all are trying to accomplish. They have had things given to them instantly and on a "silver platter" all their life. They can not respect anything take takes time and effort but rather expect instant gratification at anyone elses cost. These immature people can not be taken seriously and must be ignored.

Keep on moving forward and keep up the great work!

ZeroAccend
04-16-2007, 12:04 AM
IDK if this has been said or not, but this is yet another thing that seperates swgemu from soe. Saying "we'd rather do 100 hrs of testing" is awesome. I wish that was soe's and microsofts mindset.

Props. Keep up with the good word. And for what its worth I dont go a week without meeting at least a few SWG vets and tell them about this kick ass project. My contribution to you guys (small, but i'm sure it helps).

conjre
04-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, what can I say that already hasn't been said. I guess I'll just restate then. This test wasn't a failure, things were learned we just didn't get the outcome we were hoping for. Look at Silly Putty, 409, etc. Better luck next time. Good thing is now everyone can move forward knowing that we are this close (holds up hand to show very small) to completion. A big w00t w00t for the swgemu devs.

Also off the topic, if any dev could send me server stats during the short test: (active npc count, active pc count, processor performance graph, etc) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again swgemu you guys are awesome!!!!!!

theuberk
04-16-2007, 12:11 AM
less than three the devs

Erwinn
04-16-2007, 12:14 AM
No worries boys, we appreciate every little bit you do, just keep on keeping on :cool:

Evelas
04-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Keep slugging at it! I've taken a few CS classes in college so far, so I've a good enough idea of what you're doing to know how crazy it is. We've been hoping for this emu since the Combat Downgrade, 27 April 2005, we can wait longer.

Tyclo
04-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Stuff happens.

You guys are still the best :O!

Smusatto
04-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Thank you all for the generally positive response to this. It definitely makes things easier on us. Hopefully we'll have something ready for you next weekend. Stay tuned...

DeCastro
04-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Thank you all for the generally positive response to this. It definitely makes things easier on us. Hopefully we'll have something ready for you next weekend. Stay tuned...

No problem shiz happens. We are all very pleased already with the progress and work you Devs are doing for this great game. Even if something goes wrong next weekend it wont bother me a bit, I will still support the community and the effort being put out on the emulator.

honestmaxx
04-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Eh, oh well, I still had an "interesting" time on the IRC server indeed. :rolleyes:

We still lub you guys. :D

Mart-
04-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Everyone needs to be patient & support the team in getting things sorted out
We've all been without pre cu for what nearly 2 years now a few more months isnt going to hurt anymore

Doing a great job guys keep it up :)

gtyron
04-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Ramsey, I WUV U!!
Great job dude. better luck next time

I just wanted to emphasise something Rams said on IRC just then, that i think realy stipulates why we're all here on THIS project:

I think that that is the attitude we all need to respect, and base our own attitudes on.

For for me, thankyou for going slow, thankyou for not pushing tests out that arent going to work, and thankyou for explaining yourself. You've gained (you already had) my respect, and my support.

i was unable to join the stress test but i just wanna send my regards, indeed, fast slop is the NGE all over again, and anyways i can kind of understand the whole thing about working on stuff that the players dont see, the keeping out the bugs that nobody ever thinks about

Taaack
04-16-2007, 12:52 AM
now that ive calmed down a bit i once again realise that you guys were right-

but you wouldnt believe how many times this has happened to me... it hit me hard and i got PISSED OFF.

The first thing i saw was everyone in girl clothes with sabers, which made me go ****. then iw alked up to anchorhead, and i had 2 minute lag, which also made me curse. then after that i could either not connect or once i did have insane lag. i went "**** it" yelled at ramsey blocked him on xfire, left irc and went and beat the **** out of something outside. 4+ hours later, im fine. i just ****ing hate it when my high hopes get crushed over and ****ing over. It didnt help that i was on vent with 10 other pissed guildies...

Colim
04-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Nice try, though. I'm glad to see the effort is there, and wish you guys luck on the next stress test.

idiotboy
04-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Dude.. if people don't understand what you have to do to get this thing workin'.. screw em... Everyone is so impatient and wants everything now now now.. this is an ongoing process and I know the hardcore fans understand that. Don't let these other idiots bug ya :)

mordin13606
04-16-2007, 01:17 AM
All i have to say is that u guys are doing a hell of a job!!! Keep it up!!

Zaff
04-16-2007, 01:44 AM

Considering the general reaming that the team took from the community about bans and other stuff recently, you guys have really raised the bar to show the community that you want us involved. You even did it to such a degree that you set the bar too high, too soon. Who cares if you missed it. You tried like crazy to make it. You gained information from this test that will improve the code. And you have a positive response from the community as a result.

Testing is about finding the holes so you can plug them. Having fun doing it is a bonus when things go right. I stood on pre-cu Tat soil tonight. It was worth four hours of my day just for five minutes of that.

Roidrage667
04-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Can't wait.

Anarkya
04-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Keep up the good work guys! We love you!!
And if people can't understand.. *edit* em!

bongandbeer
04-16-2007, 02:38 AM
dont give up guys ,... we love u for what u do,... i do ,...

germany says: DONT GIVE UP !!!

sleep well and long guys! =)

damostmorbid
04-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Oh well, back to looking up pron...

Aldebaran
04-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Don't worry and keep up the good work !
We'll still be there to test things when they need to be tested ;)

Zephyrus
04-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Rams u have done more than the SOE team ever did by loggin on and sayin "hey were sry it didnt work right but whe are working for u" that SOE nevver trully did and thats wat makes te diference

ovion
04-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Don't listen to the selfish minority of idiots, this is a work in progress and these things always happen, you handled it very well, and the fact it was your first major upset. Don't fret it:)

4NIC8R
04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I for one am glad you decided to hold off for a little bit. This was the underlying problem that SOE had. They would release half-finished code out long before it was ready (SOE admitted to coding the entire NGE in 6 mos) and when it wouldn't work right, they wondered why the fans were upset.

I believe that making software available "when it's ready" is a fundamental breakaway from SOE's system and I applaud it. Sure, there are plenty of mouthy people that will voice their..displeasure, but I think that people know that it's better in the long run.

StringLack
04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
u devs rule

Pator
04-16-2007, 06:23 AM
/respect

Sharkz
04-16-2007, 06:37 AM
OH well we still got a cool video ^^

zaykodroid
04-16-2007, 08:21 AM
we are with you man, until the end..

skizi
04-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Great job to the dev team so far. Problems always arise, I came to the test knowing this, and I feel sorry for the people that were disappointed.

We all learn from out mistakes.

Dialgo
04-16-2007, 08:47 AM
It's ok guys! Take your time, we all want it to be done, but to be done right would be much better! Thanks :) Go get some rest!

Mart-
04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree with the team in getting it right from the start instead of the SOE approach of release the thing we can fix it as we go...... Take a look at coldfronts appraoch with the pirates of the burning sea for a year thats been promised instead of releasing it to appease the public theyre taking the time to release a working no fixes needed game....... yes it is frustrating but having days of downtime to fix things later is much worse

Keep up the good work guys every TRUE SWG fan is behind you :)

ilynia
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm really glad this emu got a devteam like you guys. If SOE had someone as open and competent as you, SWG wouldn't be in it's current mess. Keep up the great work and take your time, don't rush it the soe-way.

Magus Schneider
04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Ramsey, I WUV U!!

I just wanted to emphasise something Rams said on IRC just then, that i think realy stipulates why we're all here on THIS project:

I think that that is the attitude we all need to respect, and base our own attitudes on.

For for me, thankyou for going slow, thankyou for not pushing tests out that arent going to work, and thankyou for explaining yourself. You've gained (you already had) my respect, and my support.

Indeed!
And thx for the feedback ^_^x

opoke
04-16-2007, 10:00 AM
The important thing is that you're moving in the right direction, even if that's just learning something you didn't already know. You may have bit off more than you could chew this time, but it's our failures that teach us more than our successes. Without them, victory never tastes as sweet.

I was just excited about hearing NPCs in the game. I missed out on the event, so I don't exactly know what all else was there. As for suggestions, I would say to make sure grouping is in no matter what. That, for whatever reason, is one of the things that made SWG so much fun (or really any MMO for that matter). Second, keep the events saved until special non-stress tests that can be more about fun than real tests. Events take a lot of work to get right, and you'd do better to save that kind of effort for the times when you're not as focused on getting the game right (or even just some features of it). For instance, have an event like you'd planned in a few months (guessing here) when you have combat 99%+ finished, grouping complete, factional TEFs in place and working, and missions complete. This gives the community a load to do while still having something for the developers to test- stability and interconnectivity of various features. It also is something more like real-game testing instead of feature or stress testing. This is also good for a heads up on what to expect later.

In the end, all I can say is keep it up. I'm constantly impressed with what this team is able to do. That's not meant to say that I had low expectations. When I heard Pre-CU SWG, I didn't expect anything less. But you're actually doing it, and you're not really taking your time, either. Nearly every week is another reason, posted on these boards, to keep up the hope as we're that much closer to seeing this become the reality we've all longed for it to be. I plan on running my own server of this when you release it (understanding the difference between released and finished), but I'll still donate enough for you to run your own server for at least a month. The payoff will certainly be worth that and more. I'm just not Daddy Warbucks.

Davoc727
04-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks a bunch, devs. You guys are doing a great job. Keep up the good work! :)

SkydiverIdaho
04-16-2007, 10:10 AM
We walked away from this test wiser than before, and more prepared to handle these events.

So the test was successful, only in a way you hadn't anticipated.
/deepbow

Beer
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Take all the time you need. you all volunteered for this and have come far, who are we to downgrade your hard work? Thanks devs for everything you're trying to accomplish and have accomplished, I'm sure the moves you make are for the best

dlinvader
04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Take all the time you need. you all volunteered for this and have come far, who are we to downgrade your hard work? Thanks devs for everything you're trying to accomplish and have accomplished, I'm sure the moves you make are for the best

you guys are doing awesome! I rather something work at least 90% than have something that is released and works maybe half the time :)

Krietos
04-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I missed the stress test again, oh well. How did it go as far as lag and what not?

stallion
04-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Guys your doing an awsome job. Better then SOE will ever do.

Keep it up!

Thanks

goldcrud
04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Its cool devs I say take your time I'd rather have an awesome Emu later on then a crap one right away. Keep it up you guys are moving in leaps and bounds when it comes to the Emu. Keep up the good work :)

Azhar
04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I missed the stress test again, oh well. How did it go as far as lag and what not?

When you view a new post, try not to click 'last' with knowledge of the post based on topic alone. Read the first post, and try to read a few more afterwards (although reading everything is generally recommended).

Ramsey just spelled out the situation. There was no test. There have been minor problems with FreeBSD stability, and they're working to fix it for next time.

Kudos to the team for the effort. Maybe next time =)

MrMark
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Ramsey, I WUV U!!

QFE, your totally right, rushing ahead wont solve anything, keep up the good work rams!

Killuminati
04-16-2007, 05:06 PM

you win this thread

Nurdbot
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
SOE are like that noob with the CDEF rifle that shoots the creature nest while it is still guarded.

SWGemu devs clear the area around the nest slowly before taking it down.

GenghisRah
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Stress test has been canned.

We are having a lot of trouble with freebsd, especially with the load we experienced. There was also a lot of new internal code that was being tested, as well as some unstable stuff that surfaced today. So its back to fixing.

I really don't know what to say but, sorry. I mean its a stress test and we EXPECT things to go wrong, but people have been telling me "nothing new waste of time gtfo". When really there was a lot of things new, inside anyway, and new things to test out internally. Just because you cant SEE something in game on our servers doesn't mean we haven't added anything new.

I just want you guys to understand the reasons for our development actions. We are taking things slow because this software will be used for years to come. We would rather take 100 hours of development time to work on something that, in game, isn't visually beautiful, than to slop together something that looks nice but will fail 3 months down the road.

The themed stress test was a good idea but as a project, we aren't ready for it. What we will have to do is stick to traditional stress testing, except adding features at a more consistent rate so it isn't as boring. We will still have stress tests but they will have a bit more quality control than this one has.

TA and Oru are ****in exhausted and just went to bed. I've been pulling all nighters almost every night since thursday. So we're all pretty tired.

I hope you'll understand. On behalf of the (TIREDDDDDDDD) swgemu team,
Ramsey.

yeah man get your rest, you are humans, unlike the people who may be talking that nonsense. we are all behind you!!!

Gmac8787
04-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I personally think it's damn good... haven't played much in a while because of school, and I'm impressed.... thanks mucho ladies

wookieface
04-17-2007, 02:00 AM
SOE are like that noob with the CDEF rifle that shoots the creature nest while it is still guarded.

SWGemu devs clear the area around the nest slowly before taking it down.

that's well said :p

krzyspmac
04-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Harsh words are easy to say for people that have absolutely no knowledge in programming. It's very easy to write a pieace of s**** software. The faster it will be finished... the worse. I say take your time. I'm looking forward to playing my beloved game for years to come :)

Waggly
04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
/nod

no worries

Shadow10k
04-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I think you guys should take a week or weekend off. It's obvious to most of us how much progress you've made. You all deserve a rest. Just hang in there guys :)

Jarkson
04-17-2007, 02:38 PM
One step at a time :) Maybe people can realize what dev's go through now :)

guido
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Dont´t worry its enough that you are doing something for the comunity and not just for you.:D
and please sorry my english

voltrox
04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks you devs, for setting the bar so high.

Slipguard
04-18-2007, 12:31 AM
First, i gotta say, thank you devs for working so hard. We are your undying supporters, and if Emu comes later, so be it. We just want it eventually. something i think everyone could do in upcoming stress tests is to record any extremely strange or annoying glitches and stuff like that for the devs info.

cable-odinson
04-18-2007, 03:51 AM
/respect to ramsey and the whole dev team

it sounds to me like your guys are doing things in a way it should be done. Many thanks team for all of the effort

NutshellD13
04-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Your entire team has been doing an awesome thing Ramsey! And you are doing a superb job of keeping us informed of what is going on as far as development testing goes. Everything can't work out and I think I speak for all of us out here who are hanging on every post on this SWGEmu site when I say; "There is no need to appologize when a massive effort does not go as intended. Instead , We thank YOU for the honesty and promptness of the _news_. "
Thank you SWGEmu for bringing back a genuinely entertaining nostalgic time in my life. It is not easy thing for you all to accomplish but I am certain many more would agree with me when I say you can look forward to my contributions on some of those server costs. I mean .. I'll have no time for pay games anyhow right?! :D

bongandbeer
04-18-2007, 07:50 AM
any news? keep us up to date and our hope up!

continue the WORK !!
lol

/cheer

Bonafide
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
hope maybe we have successful stress test with NPC soon someday.

Good work anyway. I guess the stress test was worth it if you figured something out that was wrong.

Erwinn
04-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Keep givin 'em hell guys, you're doing great.:cool:

/respect

Lumby
04-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Thank you for choosing what is best in the long run over trying to please the community, we all really apreciate your ability to make that choice and your dedication to quality.

that is all.

Dreamsdie2
04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, just want to make sure I'm clear on this, there are NO free private Star Wars Galaxies servers at the moment correct?

Ramsey
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, just want to make sure I'm clear on this, there are NO free private Star Wars Galaxies servers at the moment correct?

correct.

SiliconBandit
04-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Well now, its apparently obvious that for every clueless, moronic, impatient little peckerpuller who wouldn't understand dedication if it walked up and knocked him out..theres hundreds more who stand in support of the people making this a reality. Oh and they support the project as well heheh.

SiliconBandit

prnkstr
04-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Keep up the good work guys:) That you encountered issues with the program is only natural in this part of the process, and I adore you for doing this^_^

After all it's better to discover fatal bugs like this now than say after this baby goes live:D

eraser34
04-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Swgemu is pretty much the only sure fire mmo that I know I will have fun and will not go to hell. So my expectations will never decrease, and I will wait for it as long as I have to.