PDA

View Full Version : February 5, 2010 Update

Ekaika
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/Tovo/swgemu_comm_update.png
Community Update - 2/5/10

Introduction

Greetings followers of Emu! As you may have noticed, this update comes later than our intended twice a month submission. Why? We didn't forget about you! Times have changed, and our updates must change as well. Because development is not linear, there will be weeks when we have nothing new to offer you all. Thankfully, this is not one of those weeks! As the focus has moved beyond TC:Nova Bi-Weekly content updates, and to a 100% focus on the Object Restructure, we will be halting the Bi-Weekly Update model.

As you know we're well into the process of perfecting the 225,000 lines of code we have to ensure a stable play experience, and the potential for easily adapted future content. What this has meant for you lately is less info, and we know that's frustrating. Fear not! Things are moving steadily forward and quickly. Good things are on the way :)

We will now move to Announcements focused on the OR. Please understand that the OR isn't progress that's qualitatively valuable to the non-developer. We may not be able to provide strict updates on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. However, as our developers get back in gear after the holidays, we will attempt to form a structure that ensures you stay informed. Hang in there with us. We're here. Motivated and dedicated.. see the information below....

Features

Recent Announcements
OR News!
Project Perspective
Closing Words

Recent Announcements

We are still looking for a few Volunteer Support Helpers to assist their peers in #swgemusupport. Currently our biggest need is late afternoons to late night (6PM-2AM EST). Please email Odwill@swgemu.com with the following information if you are interested in helping out!

Forum Name:
Character Names in Game:
Times available to help in IRC: (including timezone)
Days usually available:

Additionally, as always, we're open to hearing from new Developers, please don't hesitate to contact us if you feel up to challenge! Contact: Ramsey@swgemu.com

Harvesters were implemented on TC:Nova, To read up on harvesters including bugs and fixes, check out [Harvesters] Are Implemented (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43149)

Note: Harvesters are used at your own risk due to bugs

Crash To Desktop: Some players are experiencing CTD when on Endor and Lok. The following changes to your game set up will often alleviate this issue. Close all instances of the game. Then open LaunchPadEnanced, choose game options, and go to the advanced tab. Disable the the world preloading, file caching, and asynchronous loader. Save and close your LPE. Restart LPE and attempt to load in. If this does not work, it also helps to disable bump mapping, use low detail textures, disable multiple-pass rendering and disable V-sync.

OR News

Breaking down the OR:

The OR can be divided into 3 main sections for completion.

Part 1 - The engine that runs the game

Part 2 - The core mechanics of the game

Part 3 – The content of the game

The engine (part 1) has been completed leaving only possible bug fixes. The core mechanics of the game (part 2) are getting closer to completion. This will allow for the content of the game (part 3) to be implemented.

Development Update:

The OR now has Zone, Cell movement, Groups, Banks, Water tables, Chat, Item transfer and the ability to spawn buildings into the world. The members of the development team are currently working on a tasks as follows:

Bobius – Currently working on the new player tutorial
Kyle - Currently working on creature AI
Ramsey – Currently refining the login server / process
cRush – Currently working on the combat system
Thoop - Working on commands and resource maps
TheAnswer – Working on the command system and everything else
Oru – Currently working on the IDL and fixing the engine bugs

There has been alot of code cleaning and restructuring that has involved time consuming client reverse engineering. We are now going to be able to use our distributed object system to spread the server between different physical machines. Once the game core has been finished the tasks will be implementing the game content to bring the OR up to the same level as Test Center.

*Information Provided by TheAnswer

Project Perspective

Below is information regarding the lines of code that make up the game. It also includes how much time and money it would have cost to develop this project commercially. Hopefully this will help give you all an idea of just how massive a project the Emu is and give a little prospective on how much there is to accomplish.

The Current Test Center

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 204,318
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 53.32 (639.78)
(Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.43 (29.12)
(Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule) = 21.97
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 7,202,174
(average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40)

SLOCCount, Copyright (C) 2001-2004 David A. Wheeler
SLOCCount is Open Source Software/Free Software, licensed under the GNU GPL.

The Game Engine

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 19,144
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 4.44 (53.25)
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 0.94 (11.32)
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule) = 4.70
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 599,482
(average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40)

SLOCCount, Copyright (C) 2001-2004 David A. Wheeler
SLOCCount is Open Source Software/Free Software, licensed under the GNU GPL.

Closing Words

This is a very exciting time for us all. Every day we get one step closer to our goal of a stable and fully playable Pre-CU environment. From the entire SWGEmu Team, thank you all for your continued support! We would like to leave you all with this video from Ultyma. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24W_AjBTyWM Although this was made years ago, and is one of the first video's ever made about SWGEmu, it remains a fantastic reminder to why we are all here. Enjoy.

PS: Thanks to Tovo and Odwill for pushing this forward. Thanks to the Developers for enduring.

odwill
02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
EMU rocks baby!

maddi
02-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for this update !

Xenomorph
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Nice work

To stop confusion - January 5, 2010 Update - but says 2/5/10?

Rodd
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Updates like this satisfy me for months! Thanks for the heads up!!

Ekaika
02-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice work

To stop confusion - January 5, 2010 Update - but says 2/5/10?

Doh! Fixed, thanks :)

Lamby
02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Thank you, keep up the good work!
--Lamby

r2d2arm
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the update. I also noticed some tentative milestones set on the Assembla. Good to see the tasks laid out. Looking forward to future updates!

Vlada
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Excellent...

Valkyra
02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Looks great, nice update!

I was very happy to hear (first saw on TRAC) that water tables are pretty much finished, which does mean that the swimming state and all that comes with it will be in soon!

I'm also happy to hear that cRush is working on the combat system, I think he's a good canidate for that.

Also, Ramsey told me in IRC PMs (nothing specific) that they are doing a lot of work reverse engineering the TRN/planetary systems and that sounds great to me. My only concern would be to add in some basic code that easily allows for the addition of planets/zones (since client regions seems to be handled by database now.)

But overall, again it's coming along very nicely.

Ovale
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Excellent update. Thanks!

Newsound
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Awesome work guys!!! This project just blows me away. Have a question though. The CDT issues with Lok and Endor...will these be addressed with the OR, or is it something that will be worked on Independently?

Thanks for everyones hard work!!

kaelvin
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
OR News!!! this is a hefty good sign the planets are aligning! in 2012, the NGE world will end! and the PreCU BEGINS!!!

mujadaddy
02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
We are now going to be able to use our distributed object system to spread the server between different physical machines. Probably the most exciting news in a long time!

Metal
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
So.... few months more and it's finished :D

Kayliaah
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Great great great.
Thanks for the update.

Lubbe
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Sweet :)

odwill
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
The CDT issues with Lok and Endor...will these be addressed with the OR, or is it something that will be worked on Independently?

Extremely unlikely.

hakry
02-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice update!

Thanks to everyone who helped get it together!

Crawill
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Extremely unlikely.

Odwill is now answering all questions through his magic 8 ball.

But on a more serious not I find that when I CTD it helps not to hold the rage in. This is exactly what i do and i find it quite therapeutic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc

learningdisease
02-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Hey all, I'd like to give some recognition to Tovo for stepping up and taking the time to gather a lot of the information in these community updates, he does a great job and his name never shows up on them :D.

We love sharing all the cool stuff that this team has been working on, and Tovo has been crucial to getting this information into a format we can present to you guys. I don't wanna leave anyone out who puts effort into keeping everyone in the know around here.

Thanks to everyone who continually supports SWGEmu, I hope you are having a good time with what we've been able to put together, and that you are looking forward to the BIG stuff we have in the works.

Take care!

Emerzon
02-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Excellent...

Yhor
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Awesome news!

Keep the faith, "soon" will eventually have real meaning. ;)

Thanks to all who develop and communicate the developments to the community, it takes great strength to bring this all about.

/deepbow

ShaydinTsepesh
02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
ooo we can soon get back to business

nice update

Bob Mondavi
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the update. :)

alek122
02-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Great News! :)

conmcb25
02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the update and for all the great work you guys do! :)

DirTek
02-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Great news indeed :D

Thanks for the update and great work!

jediknight936
02-05-2010, 09:28 PM
You guys are doing great work can't wait to see the finished product. I hope we will all have several years of swgemu enjoyment to come

dizmull
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
awesome

Khaos
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Great update, nice to see some news on the OR progress.

Zasm
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I like the broken down statics on the estimated man hours and funds it would have taken to produce the swgemu core coding.

ad27499
02-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Fantastic news!! canna wait for the OR!!

IX-
02-06-2010, 05:26 AM
There's no actual way to convey how thankful I am for the team's work done on this project.

All I can say is that I'm overflowing with gratitude.

Lexx2k
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Smelley could choke on his words now, the day he said that i knew he was wrong lol.
Hooray for SWGEMU :D

Ekowraith
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Sweeet. :)

DosiAtasiar
02-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's it like looking at the mess of code that SOE made? Even the SOE Devs admitted when they made the NGE that the original game needed to be changed because of all of the useless code.

Zasm
02-06-2010, 01:58 PM
The devs did not have any of the orignal code from the swg servers to use as a benchmark. Everything thing they wrote came from scratch and game mechanics observations.

OlisJ
02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's it like looking at the mess of code that SOE made? Even the SOE Devs admitted when they made the NGE that the original game needed to be changed because of all of the useless code.

No one knows, people who were looking at that mess are probably working for some other company and not willing to share. If you are talking about Core3 code, there is nothing from SOE there.

z0mbi3jesus
02-06-2010, 02:11 PM
This team is awesome. You guys do very hard work to keep this game going. Thank you.

aggregator
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
We're all extremely greatful for this, and you guys really are doing an amazing job. Keep it up.

GestorterEngel
02-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey all, I'd like to give some recognition to Tovo for stepping up and taking the time to gather a lot of the information in these community updates, he does a great job and his name never shows up on them :D.

We love sharing all the cool stuff that this team has been working on, and Tovo has been crucial to getting this information into a format we can present to you guys. I don't wanna leave anyone out who puts effort into keeping everyone in the know around here.

Thanks to everyone who continually supports SWGEmu, I hope you are having a good time with what we've been able to put together, and that you are looking forward to the BIG stuff we have in the works.

Take care!

I was going to say this, but you beat me to it. Tovo does a wonderful job with the updates and he needs more recognition for it!

Nice job Tovo.

Reverb
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I was going to say this, but you beat me to it. Tovo does a wonderful job with the updates and he needs more recognition for it!

Nice job Tovo.

I know right? More props to Tovo the bastard deserves it! :P Damn you ekaika stealin all his glory! Lol <3

NinjaChaos
02-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the Update.

SwingKid
02-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I personally love that old video from Ult.

Devoveo
02-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks a bunch for the status update! Can't wait to embark on great adventures once more!

Kyrm347
02-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a detailed report on what has been happening, and what is too come. A progress report that you may *think* is not valued by Players is in fact very much appreciated by us.

Thank you for indulging us and understanding our impatience.

Thank you for putting up with our crap.

Thank you for bustin' your backside's for us all.

Exor
02-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all !

o0Syn
02-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Keep em coming! I'm loving playing like this! It feels like beta testing for SOE all over again :D

ajfuller
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
keep up the good work :)

royale
02-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the update, exciting times. You guys are amazing.

Darian_Carr
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Great job emu devs!!!!! We love you!!!

karnax
02-09-2010, 06:59 AM
That's my lust for answers quenched once more. Excellent :) Many thanks for all your hard work as usual cannot wait!

Ekaika
02-09-2010, 07:09 AM
I know right? More props to Tovo the bastard deserves it! :P Damn you ekaika stealin all his glory! Lol <3

We work as a team, there's nothing to indicate otherwise. We're all working towards the same goal. Tovo is an integral part of that.

Xalik
02-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Awesome update.

ronin2k
02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
./Cheers ./deepbow :) many thx Team :)

Tovo
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Im glad people are enjoying this news.

I would like to point out that no update is the produce of just a single member of staff. As many staff as possible contribute to bring you these updates.

Klanagh
02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Great update.

Btw, hurry up! Lol. The more new mmo's I play the more they just suck. Nothing has ever quite replaced Galaxies. The sad fact for me is that nothing ever really will. WoW is fun, I'll give you that. But there's just no sense of community in that game for me, or any other mmo, that compares to what I had with Galaxies.

All the hard work is appreciated, and I'm really looking forward to OR completion. Thanks.

Freedon
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
All I can say is wow.

Great job putting together the video Ultyma. Loved it.

You bring hope to those who have none! ;)

Ghalion
02-11-2010, 07:04 AM
first of all i want to say great job keep up the good work :D

2nd got all excited and unlocked architect in the hopes to make harveys
and found while you gave us the schematics for harveys
you didn't give us the sub components lol :P

o well atleast we have the lower level ones :D

Ghalion
02-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Great update.

Btw, hurry up! Lol. The more new mmo's I play the more they just suck. Nothing has ever quite replaced Galaxies. The sad fact for me is that nothing ever really will. WoW is fun, I'll give you that. But there's just no sense of community in that game for me, or any other mmo, that compares to what I had with Galaxies.

All the hard work is appreciated, and I'm really looking forward to OR completion. Thanks.

tell me about it ever since swg
swg is the game i judge all new mmo's by and so far they all fail badly in comparison

Jusazn
02-12-2010, 04:26 AM
O_O.
7..Million..
Dollars?

It took 7 Mil to ****ing develop this game?!

Brane Ded
02-12-2010, 04:49 AM
O_O.
7..Million..
Dollars?

It took 7 Mil to ****ing develop this game?!

If I am not mistaken that is the approximate value of the time spent by the devs, from the start until this point, creating SWGEmu's current Test Center code. That is not the number by which SOE created the original game, that's unknown.

Zaelis
02-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if it costed SOE more than that to originally develop the game. MMO's are generally multimillion dollar projects, and its not unreasonable to hit the 8 digit mark along the way.

Apex_
02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
It would've certainly cost more than that estimate for SOE's original development. The estimate doesn't include content costs for artists, sound design and the like. Those are pretty high-dollar items too :)

Zaff
02-13-2010, 09:47 AM
It would've certainly cost more than that estimate for SOE's original development. The estimate doesn't include content costs for artists, sound design and the like. Those are pretty high-dollar items too :)

The estimate is based on lines of code which does not take into account how many lines of code are in the client that we have installed on our machines to play it as well. That would probably add a few million to the code only side of any guesstimate of the costs for SOE.

And as far as everyone working on the EMU goes, the 7 million estimate doesn't account for the time for all of the packet analysis. It was a long painful wait before they entered the sandbox. And even more painful waiting for it to be available to the rest of us. But it was well worth it.

odohvare
02-14-2010, 05:28 PM
first of all i want to say great job keep up the good work :D

2nd got all excited and unlocked architect in the hopes to make harveys
and found while you gave us the schematics for harveys
you didn't give us the sub components lol :P

o well atleast we have the lower level ones :D

I think you can make the Personal Extractors. The little BER 3 ones that you get in the Artisan Engineering tree. Not sure though.

cRush
02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
The estimate is based on lines of code which does not take into account how many lines of code are in the client that we have installed on our machines to play it as well. That would probably add a few million to the code only side of any guesstimate of the costs for SOE.

The client is no where near a few million lines of code. I'd be surprised if it has more lines than the server to be honest.

jascar
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM
noticed alot of changes seems alot more fun to play keep up the good work guys

Kelanos
02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Fantastic news, thanks for the update.

Just as you continue to work hard on the Emu, we all continue to support your project.

stonela
02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Fantastic update, and that video gives me the tingles every time I see it! I am so grateful to the devs and everyone involved in this project, you guys rock!!! :)

XannQuilo
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
forgive me, but what does OR stand for?

Tovo
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM

The OR stands for "Search". The Search button is a feature of the website.

emporter
02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
The OR stands for "Search". The Search button is a feature of the website.

Honest-to-God LOL on that one

Bredon_Kin'dragon
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Been messing around for a few hours now and Im loving it. Reminds totally of
the game right before they threw the Housing in, but without half the bugs.

Very nice work guys!

Please, keep it up.

-B:emperor:

Darxun Xanos
02-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Great update guys!

Wow, really? It's in the update..... :|

Lubbe
02-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Sorry about Tovo.

It stands for "Object Restructure" they are basicly re-coding the game and cleaning up the mess, so it will be easier to work with.

noidirak
02-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I am perturbed by the mention of "adding future content" to the game in the original post. Does this mean adding things that weren't in SWG pre-NGE? In my opinion that would be a terrible move.

kaelvin
02-23-2010, 05:10 AM
I am perturbed by the mention of "adding future content" to the game in the original post. Does this mean adding things that weren't in SWG pre-NGE? In my opinion that would be a terrible move.

future content on a private server.
they say suncrusher is going to be a a replica of pre cu. so if you just want to play the old school way with no modified content stick to this development teams own server, Suncrusher. look it up with the search function.

cherry_peel
02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
they say suncrusher is going to be a a replica of pre cu. so if you just want to play the old school way with no modified content stick to this development teams own server, Suncrusher. look it up with the search function.

i second that. adding new content, whatever that may be, would only add to the experience of the server you are playing on. there will probably be servers that have a lot of experimental content on them. If thats not your thing then just choose a vanilla server.

leoten
02-23-2010, 03:29 PM
TROLL TROLL TROLL

I'm not that retarded.

When you broke down the OR into three phases - and you said only half of the total workload is done - where does that translate into progress?

Like I've said before - you guys punted. You tried in the beginning, and now the donating community has waited the better part of a decade.

You won't find fanboi dev love nuggets here. Cascade dev fail.

When you promise and spin, "manufacture" rather than accomplish progress, just reinforces what a snail paced farcical failure this projhect has been.

TC:Nova is the Special Olympics of SWG.

Try releasing an Update where you've done something besides an impersonatin of Robert Gibbs or Baghdad Bob.

Results not talk.

DBag(s),

A

Vlada
02-23-2010, 03:33 PM
TROLL TROLL TROLL

I'm not that retarded.

When you broke down the OR into three phases - and you said only half of the total workload is done - where does that translate into progress?

Like I've said before - you guys punted. You tried in the beginning, and now the donating community has waited the better part of a decade.

When you promise and spin, "manufacture" rather than accomplish progress, just reinforces what a snail paced farcical failure this projhect has been.

Try releasing an Update where you've done something besides an impersonatin of Robert Gibbs or Baghdad Bob.

Results not talk.

DBag(s),

A

Rage much?

mijom
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM

i second that. adding new content, whatever that may be, would only add to the experience of the server you are playing on. there will probably be servers that have a lot of experimental content on them. If thats not your thing then just choose a vanilla server.

Tbh, i think it is pretty naive to think that there won't be new added content in Suncrusher after launch.

yeah it would be fine for year or 2, but any server that wont add new stuff after while will die slowly. People get bored to the same content over and over again quite fast.

Alamar01
02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
TROLL TROLL TROLL

I'm not that retarded.

Results not talk.

DBag(s),

A

Well....code your own swg emulator. That's all there is to say. Good luck with that.

tuckrr
02-23-2010, 04:30 PM

actually the devs look forward to adding content after 1.0 suncrusher will be vanilla at launch, but will evolve after that.

Setlec
02-24-2010, 12:59 AM
i think that adding content from NGE would be a good thing of course that all content must be balanced and be canon. i would be really angry if they add the new planets such Kashyyyk as it was implemented in NGE (not letting the players to go everywhere). About the bunker, from NGE, make it only available for guilds as a HQ even if the guild is Civilian (just an idea)! one other thing that i didn't like is the DNA signature on weapons and armors i think that is just lame.

Alamar01
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
i think that adding content from NGE would be a good thing of course that all content must be balanced and be canon. i would be really angry if they add the new planets such Kashyyyk as it was implemented in NGE (not letting the players to go everywhere). About the bunker, from NGE, make it only available for guilds as a HQ even if the guild is Civilian (just an idea)! one other thing that i didn't like is the DNA signature on weapons and armors i think that is just lame.

Well, in your case, sorry to say but most games are moving towards increased instanced content (such as in WoW: WotLK) like you are referring to on Kashyyyk. They are trying to make areas not overrun by people of differing levels and quest progressions. That way, more content can be packed into the same amount of space. Also, Kashyyyk wasnt addded for the NGE, so in my opinion, not much of the actual content that was added in the NGE is worth much.

Setlec
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
SWG pre-Cu is a persistent world which made this game really interesting compared to other MMOs. By including instances i think that won't be a good thing, i do not like instances... for the NGE content, i was thinking for the new content added after NGE like trials of Obi Wan and the revenge of the Wookies and etc.

kaelvin
02-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Tbh, i think it is pretty naive to think that there won't be new added content in Suncrusher after launch.

yeah it would be fine for year or 2, but any server that wont add new stuff after while will die slowly. People get bored to the same content over and over again quite fast.

i never said anything about it staying that way, i figure what they develop will have more reason than anyones half baked ideas in the future server ideas, rolled up into one giant ball. and i don't appreciate being called naive, in any context in your thoughts or otherwise, i would appreciate if you would redact that statement via the edit button.

Oran
02-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh, and to Sawyer T...

man i dont know what the deal was, i guess the site i was on was just a mirror of this one, cause it looked just like this but the last post i saw was like sept 09. either way thank you so much for responding to my emails and directing me down the path to the darkside.

Prevch
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
"We're here. Motivated and dedicated"

That's so awesome. What a huge undertaking and amazing story. I can't wait!

GenralO
02-27-2010, 07:55 PM
We're all extremely greatful for this, and you guys really are doing an amazing job. Keep it up.

wut he said.

Dafole
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow this is just amazing. I used to play allot but i dont want to destroy the feeling by playing half working product. So instead I'm just lurking the forums from time to time, this really makes me happy. I'm extremely impressed of your accomplishment, when this project is done you deserve more then just a thank you thats for sure.

dust906
03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
to be honest pre cu battlegrounds would be extreme

dust906
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
so would most of the nge content on a pre cu platform

DeltaDawg
03-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Awesome!

Ama-Ebi
03-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 204,318
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 53.32 (639.78)
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.43 (29.12)
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule) = 21.97
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 7,202,174

Getting to play SWG pre-CU...PRICELESS.

Thanks to everyone working on the project. I've just recently been able to log in and play on the test server and I'm really amazed to see the progress. Keep up the great work!

bongandbeer
03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
awesome news,...

time to donate ;)

Kaige
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
OR News!!! this is a hefty good sign the planets are aligning! in 2012, the NGE world will end! and the PreCU BEGINS!!!

Now THATS what they mayans were talkin abouuuuuut :P

p.s. im stoked as hell too!

newagedefiance
03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I would love to help in any way i can i have 0 exp coding but i have a few friends who code and one friend (of a friend) works at bioware and mabey i can let him know about this amazing project. But i am trying to track down my old copy of swg so i can help stress test and find bugs in the game id love the qa exp.

Dorkybob
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online. To this day still one of the most open play systems ever created and surprisingly its still running and putting out expansions! (Personally I played UO from 1996-to-1998 when I moved to DAoC) so UO as been up and running for more than 15 years!

The reasons behind the very poor launch of SWG was attributed to the SOE folks not understanding most of the code, thus the reason behind the temporary (nearly 9 month) removal of the death system because they couldn't figure out how to stop someone griffing you by placing a tent on your body and sending it to the center of the game world. (if you couldn't retrieve your corpse after death you lost everything that was on it)

So instead of figuring out the code, the SOE folk decided to rewrite the game entirely with the implementation of the NGE saying that 31+ classes were to difficult to balance. however I had just come from DAoC that also had a large number of seemingly well balanced classes, and Mythic Ent. didn't seem to have any difficulties keeping their game balanced.

And now comes the SWGEmu team and they not only figure out the original game code but write their own server code to run the original client with only minor patches. (Great job btw guys and gals!)

so in closing I'd like to thank the SWGEmu team for bringing back to life the best MMO-RPG I've ever played! And yes I Mean Role Playing Game here people, WOW is an MMOG, not an MMORPG I never see anyone roleplay on wow!

AIQ88
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online.

Where did you get that from?

Harsk
03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online. To this day still one of the most open play systems ever created and surprisingly its still running and putting out expansions! (Personally I played UO from 1996-to-1998 when I moved to DAoC) so UO as been up and running for more than 15 years!

The reasons behind the very poor launch of SWG was attributed to the SOE folks not understanding most of the code, thus the reason behind the temporary (nearly 9 month) removal of the death system because they couldn't figure out how to stop someone griffing you by placing a tent on your body and sending it to the center of the game world. (if you couldn't retrieve your corpse after death you lost everything that was on it)

So instead of figuring out the code, the SOE folk decided to rewrite the game entirely with the implementation of the NGE saying that 31+ classes were to difficult to balance. however I had just come from DAoC that also had a large number of seemingly well balanced classes, and Mythic Ent. didn't seem to have any difficulties keeping their game balanced.

And now comes the SWGEmu team and they not only figure out the original game code but write their own server code to run the original client with only minor patches. (Great job btw guys and gals!)

so in closing I'd like to thank the SWGEmu team for bringing back to life the best MMO-RPG I've ever played! And yes I Mean Role Playing Game here people, WOW is an MMOG, not an MMORPG I never see anyone roleplay on wow!

I read all the way to where you said classes in DAoC were balanced.

Ashpool
03-09-2010, 07:29 PM
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with.

Yes sorry to contradict you but that's incorrect. SWG was created and developed by Verant Interactive, (by this time) a division of SOE - the same team responcible for EverQuest. The only UO connection I know of comes in the form of Raph Koster (Lead Dev of UO and UO T2A) who was Creative Director for the project and worked for SOE until 2006.

Dorkybob
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
well then I stand corrected. It also makes SOE even dumber than I thought they were...
I personally never had many issues in DAoC with class balance, I played for nearly 4 years and had a number of maxed characters ranging from mages to rangers and never felt that any single one was more op than the next... I guess it has to do with personal play style...

NmK-Killa
04-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Very nice update! I appreciate all the hard work all of you have put into this emu! You rock!:emperor:

leoten
04-21-2010, 09:38 PM
"We're here. Motivated and dedicated"

That's so awesome. What a huge undertaking and amazing story. I can't wait!

Motivated...(cadence)...Dedicated....

We're the boys from Quantico you've heard so much about, the mothers lock their daughters in whenever we go out...

Nobobdy? K.

Glad to see an "update".

So if we wade through the tech talk - you're still on step number two? Same as last December, right? Sure you might be at 2.6 vs 2.0, but c'mon - Lucas is pushing out his new game well before we hit the OR's completion.

"OOh, we'lL wAit for GalaXies cuZ it's da Best!"

No doubt. I too judge today's mmos against my SWG rubric. Doesn't mean I have no intention of buying the new LA mmo and paying for it for a while, and if it's as good as the hype - I'll stay.

Others, maybe people whose company you do enjoy, will play it too.

"Good, go away, we dont like you."

Mutual.

"7 million dollars."

I would have fired you after EMU year three if it cost 60G/YR/DEV.

Plus, based on Assembla, y'all don't work five days a week, eight hrs a day.

"Big things ahead"

TM Soon.

Still waiting,

Updates are always good, thank you for putting one out.

Maybe try and make it simple though - like, "we're still on Step 2 of 3 and will be until at least Xmas, again".

Work work work, and despite what I write, I hope y'all succeed

Nothing ban worthy this time, I'm on thin ice 'til at least May 15th

Vlada
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought you were gonna take it easy?

Until May at least.

leoten
04-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I thought you were gonna take it easy?

Until May at least.

Thank you, you're absolutely right.

I appreciate all the hard work the dev team has done, and continues to do.

I relish the opportunity to play on a completed server, just like everyone else.

The updates I see almost daily on Assembla are encouraging and reflect the continued work of our Dev team.

I hope, with great sincerity, that the EMU progresses quickly and efficiently over the summer break.

Well done, again any update is a good update.

Godspeed.

Vlada - Было мое сообщение OK?

Vlada
04-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Both of them were fine. ( I hope Google translate did its job correctly)

Lets just lay back until... What was it, May 15th, And see if we can get some updates on the OR progress.

russ6754
04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Nevermind

Ekowraith
04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
You can delete your posts under "edit", Russ6754.