PDA

View Full Version : [NOVA] I can't connect!?

Pages : [1] 2

Ekaika
09-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi folks,

Yes, we know. I am repeatedly seeing this question in IRC and on the forums, so let's be clear.

Within hours of our latest patch, we reached 750+ users on our Test Center. Reports are now that our latest record is 950+. We have remained at user limit since, and we are so excited you all are enjoying yourselves on our server!

We are now capping the user limit on TC, in an attempt to find the best possible balance between lag and max users. The cap is fluctuating between 700 and 900 users.

Q: Why is TC capped?

A: Your donations allow a shared 100mb line. At peak usage times, or other random times during a day, our allocated bandwidth is reduced. Unfortunately, we cannot afford the money it takes to buy a dedicated line. We'll have to deal with what we have for now.

Q: Are you sure it's not your hardware?

A: We're sure. With 800-900 users online, we were using ~50% of our hardware resources. This is not a problem. The issue is most definitely bandwidth. Also, for this patch there are a few things that are CPU/RAM intense that are being fixed in the OR, so this usage stat is surely not a number to count on for 1.0.

Q: What do I have to do to get on TC?

A: Select your character, and let LPE sit at "Connecting to Galaxy." When a spot opens up, you will automatically load in.

Q: I can't connect, but I don't think this is the problem.

A: VERIFY THE SERVER IS UP. Join IRC channel #status and do a /tcinfo there. If it is indeed up.. then please email community@swgemu.com, or join our IRC support channel #swgemusupport, and we will try to help you. Be patient, there are 100's of you asking for help, and we're doing the best we can to get to you all.

Thanks as always for your support of pre-cu and SWGEmu. See you around the Galaxy!

RagnarokStrike
09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Hopefully we'll reach the 1K cap soon. :)

Rouge
09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd love to donate but I don'tz haz paypal or a credit card :/
Oh well, it'll start while I'm asleep at least...

Teg
09-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, we cannot afford the $20,000 it takes to buy a dedicated line.

I'm curious, where is the server being hosted?

A 100mbit/sec commit w/gigabit burst in a US datacenter shouldn't even cost 1/10th that amount (and I doubt you'd really need a full 100mbit commit at the moment).

I do production service engineering/operations for a living, so I'm at your disposal if you guys would like some help researching and/or implementing an alternate hosting arrangement.

Ekaika
09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
A loose inaccurate number, edited out of my OP for now.

Oru
09-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm curious, where is the server being hosted?

A 100mbit/sec commit w/gigabit burst in a US datacenter shouldn't even cost 1/10th that amount (and I doubt you'd really need a full 100mbit commit at the moment).

I do production service engineering/operations for a living, so I'm at your disposal if you guys would like some help researching and/or implementing an alternate hosting arrangement.

Well there is a deal for $800 at our provider for a dedicate 100mbit line. The donations could almost cover that but for now we are also renting 2 server boxes. Probably some servers will be donated in the near future so we can solve this problem finally.

By the way, we are using up around 30 mbit of our shared line at our peak times so that's why we would really need a dedicated one now.

ANewHope
09-22-2009, 03:28 AM
C'mon, statistically speaking one of the ~1000 people who play daily has to come from a family fabulously wealthy enough to drop $500-1000 in a single donation without batting an eye and finally resolve this issue for everyone.

It's for the Emu! :)

Ashur
09-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Well there is a deal for $800 at our provider for a dedicate 100mbit line. The donations could almost cover that but for now we are also renting 2 server boxes. Probably some servers will be donated in the near future so we can solve this problem finally.

By the way, we are using up around 30 mbit of our shared line at our peak times so that's why we would really need a dedicated one now.

wasnt there a guy that donated servers to you? was a thread about it in the swgemu forum

Ekaika
09-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Again, hardware isn't a problem, it's the pipe.

Oru
09-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah, it's not the hardware the problem but it can lower our costs if we don't have to rent them. Those donated servers have yet to arrive as far as i know.

arween
09-22-2009, 08:37 AM
These 500-900 users are online, cause you DEVs did your work very well! Thank you very much.
I hope, severall users do it like me and donate every month what they can (for myself I donate 13,--EUR a' month, thats what Ive payed at PreCU time to SOE), cause the SWGEMU is nearly the old one and should be supportet to reduce the lag and giving more users the chance to log in :-)

TheExile
09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Out of curiosity, how much does the 100MiB pipe and the servers cost per month?

Teg
09-23-2009, 01:42 AM
100MiB pipe

Just so you know, you've asked a very different question than what you think you asked. :) Bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes, and MiB is part of the IEC and IEEE's attempt to redefine "megabyte" by fiat. Pushing 100MiB/sec would need a connection of nearly a gigabit, 10 times what's being talked about here.

TheExile
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Just so you know, you've asked a very different question than what you think you asked. :) Bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes, and MiB is part of the IEC and IEEE's attempt to redefine "megabyte" by fiat. Pushing 100MiB/sec would need a connection of nearly a gigabit, 10 times what's being talked about here.
I was tired when I posted that. I know the difference.

kanechart
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you guys need more servers?

Vlada
09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Do you guys need more servers?

You should PM or email Ekaika about this.

kanechart
09-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Okay sent one :)

JamesNode
09-25-2009, 08:06 AM
too bad I'm moving to the states in about a month or so.. got a 100/100 connection here in sweden (really cheap over here btw, like 30 bucks or something a month, could even get a 1k/1k connection for 100 bucks a month) that I won't be using at all that I could have set up a server on...

surely there must be other ppl around with too much bandwith and the annoying need to build a new computer each year or so giving them the opportunity to dedicate a 1yr old gaming computer as a full-time server?

Valkyra
09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
too bad I'm moving to the states in about a month or so.. got a 100/100 connection here in sweden (really cheap over here btw, like 30 bucks or something a month, could even get a 1k/1k connection for 100 bucks a month) that I won't be using at all that I could have set up a server on...

surely there must be other ppl around with too much bandwith and the annoying need to build a new computer each year or so giving them the opportunity to dedicate a 1yr old gaming computer as a full-time server?

I get this connection for about 30 bucks a month USD:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/574514431.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Is that better or worse than yours? I live in the US so just wanted to compare.

Keono
09-25-2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/531828027.png
I also pay around $30.00 a month

scorpiusjagr
09-25-2009, 08:38 AM
ya i cn never get on nova the last week r so iv been anble 2 get on 4 a total of 30 mins

JamesNode
09-25-2009, 08:46 AM
well, it obviously depends on where your packets are going ;) it seems like your connections are not synch'ed, which would be preferred for a server.
I'm talking about a 100mbit/100mbit (down/up) connection in the 'city-net' (part of the infra-structure) which is connected to the hub in my University, the Royal Institute of Technology, which is one of the 2 main hubs in Europe, which then would connect to the London hub (the other one) ;) and then to NYC, which would give you roughly 140-160 ping if you were to connect from the States, obviously a 1Gbit synch connection (even if it were to give ppl in the states 140-160 ping, i.e. things would be delayed by .14-.16 seconds) would be very nice if there were thousands of ppl in the same place at the same time, the bottle-necks wouldn't be on this side of the line.

I'd offer my computer and connection here, but I would be unable to help out if anything were to happen/a restart were needed etc, and my mother would probably disapprove if I were to leave it on for a cpl of years while my fiancee and I live in the states
(yes, I moved back in with my mother after I accidently spent waaaay too much money in latin america)

But surely there must be someone out there that has a one or even 2 yr old computer with 8 or so gigs of ram etc and the ability to get a 1Gbit synch'ed (and not shared) internet connection that once upon a time played SWG and would be willing to have a server running at their house?

Teg
09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Consumer-grade connections are not suitable for serious server use and thus comparing their pricing to prices for real commercial links is useless.

Consumer links lack redundancy, reliability, service level agreements, etc., they're in your house, not a climate-controlled datacenter with redundant power feeds, and finally, most ISPs will cut you off if you try to use your home internet connection at anywhere near its full capacity 24/7 (and yes, this applies even to supposedly "unlimited" connections; check your terms of service for words like "excessive" and "interfere" and "sole judgement").

JamesNode
09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
many of my friends with similar connections have no problems leaving their computers on with file-sharing/torrent-programs 24/7 for months... guess it's different in the states?

JamesNode
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
(obviously the dl won't be maxed out when having those types of programs on 24/7, but trust me, 100Mbit/s upload is not enough) ;)

things might be different on the country-side here, but ppl have been able to get 1Gbit connections for many many years now in the capital where I live.

It's the consumer's market over here, if it's not good enough ppl change to another ISP, the infra-structure is already there, so they can't charge more for it than the other companies and claim that they're faster, so it's all about which company is the cheapest.

Obviously there are exceptions, some ppl might live too far away from the center of the city to have access to the city-net, forcing them to use DSL, cable etc instead of fiber... but if you're in the city-net you just need to pop in your LAN cable, pick the provider you want to use and the speed you wish to pay for and you're done.

Teg
09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
many of my friends with similar connections have no problems leaving their computers on with file-sharing/torrent-programs 24/7 for months... guess it's different in the states?

Just because the program is running doesn't mean the packets are getting anywhere.

The _beginning_ of commercial-grade connections is _guaranteed_ (with substantive financial penalties for the provider not meeting that guarantee) of 99.98% uptime, corresponding to less than 9 minutes of downtime in a 30 day period.

A good connection runs at least 99.99%, or <5 minutes. Higher end you'll see 99.999%, and in some places you'll see contracts requiring 100% uptime, and believe me, when the providers fail to live up to those guarantees, it hits their pocketbook very directly.

This is just uptime. Even the cheapest commercial link also has some basic latency and packet loss guarantees that few consumer connections could ever hope to meet, much less guarantee.

Teg
09-25-2009, 09:23 AM
things might be different on the country-side here, but ppl have been able to get 1Gbit connections for many many years now in the capital where I live.

Gigabit fiber to a home is almost unheard of in the US (actually, fiber to the home at any speed is still fairly rare). Consumer connections exceed 50mbps down and 10-20 up in only very isolated areas of the country -- and I do mean isolated; we're not talking about a few major cities, we're talking about some towns that have done their own municipal loops.

It wouldn't matter, though. Fiber is not magical. It's extremely high-capacity, but it's every bit as vulnerable to outages as copper wire.

qui-gon-rui
09-25-2009, 09:28 AM
is tc server offline right now!!!! I cant connect to the server....just right now when i was playing it for the first time.......

JamesNode
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
well, I doubt my ISP has any guaranteed uptime, all I know is that my apache server had 0 minutes of downtime during the 3½ months I had it up, mind you, this is fiber connected straight to one of 2 hubs in all of Europe...

and here's the thing, you're talking about 10 minutes a month, who really cares about 10 minutes a month if the servers are probably going to be down about 2-3 hrs a week for maintenance anyway? wouldn't it be better to have 10 extremely fast servers with no guarantee than 1 slow server with a guarantee?

markie1979
09-25-2009, 09:41 AM
is tc server offline right now!!!! I cant connect to the server....just right now when i was playing it for the first time.......

Check the server state on the left of the screen, also forum rules imply not to ask :)

The server state on the left shows if the server is online or offline, jou can also see in in the LPE.

Hope this aswers your question with enough info.:D

qui-gon-rui
09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
ok, thanks!!!!!!!!

hype
09-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Limit further down to 500? :(

Ekaika
09-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Lol. Shall we up it to 1k and lag you out? There's no happy solution. You'll never be happy.

Ody Mamel
09-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Give me a Jawa Sandcrawler and I'll happily put up with the lag :cool:

Lobreeze
09-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Everyone should be happily putting up with the lag/cap, regardless.

scorpiusjagr
09-26-2009, 11:47 AM
i dont think we need more servers lol i just think we need our 1 server online 4 more thn 3 hours a day lol i got kiked off server 3 times last night lol thats rly the only server issue thats souly a server problem other thn the minor buggs n such

Zaff
09-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm almost one of the lucky ones to have fiber. It's all around me. But AT&T owns the fiber rights to the mobil home park I'm in. So instead, I get the knowledge that Verizon runs it right past me down the street. I want FIOS. lol.

Spade13
09-26-2009, 12:06 PM
i dont think we need more servers [lol]i just think we need our 1 server online 4 more thn 3 hours a day [lol] i got kiked off server 3 times last night [lol]

1.:Be happy there IS 1 Server to get pre-Cu SWG back.Without it , what would you play? WOW?.
2.: This is a TESTSERVER. TC= TESTCENTER. I think i dont realy have to explain , but it seems i have to.Here it comes:

TestServer for Dummys-Part 1:

A Testserver is NOT a live Server , which means ,its only to run the game , or parts of it , and check which Bug appeare where and when.
For Bugfixing the Server will be SHUTDOWN , thats usual.
The shutdown may take Hours , minutes or sometimes , Days.
Thank the Devs for working that hard -THEY DONT GET PAID FOR IT.
If you cant wait or expect a complete Game with an 24/7 Online Server i'd offer you to WAIT till Suncrusher's BetaPhase is over.

zaxx99
09-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I have Fiber to the home. I work for a Fiber ISP and our county is putting in fiber to the home all over the county. Great speed but it is a shared network. If you want dedicated bandwidth you are looking at about $100 USD a meg.

Lobreeze
09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
1.:Be happy there IS 1 Server to get pre-Cu SWG back.Without it , what would you play? WOW?.
2.: This is a TESTSERVER. TC= TESTCENTER. I think i dont realy have to explain , but it seems i have to.Here it comes:

TestServer for Dummys-Part 1:

A Testserver is NOT a live Server , which means ,its only to run the game , or parts of it , and check which Bug appeare where and when.
For Bugfixing the Server will be SHUTDOWN , thats usual.
The shutdown may take Hours , minutes or sometimes , Days.
Thank the Devs for working that hard -THEY DONT GET PAID FOR IT.
If you cant wait or expect a complete Game with an 24/7 Online Server i'd offer you to WAIT till Suncrusher's BetaPhase is over.

Quoted because it seems people have to read something more than once... a lot more...

ShaydinTsepesh
09-26-2009, 01:30 PM
that's it ... i'm winning the lottery!

hopefully we get more donations during the "live" phase (i know i will then simply because they deserve it if it ever gets that far ... and hell if we treat it like a sub , there should be no problems)
when most of everything is set, it will be important to keep it running but people are unwilling to toss money at something that may just disappear (yes its possible)

for now we must trust they have things under control and BE PAITENT while they fix issues, test stress, and add content

look on IRC and check status there, if your hanging in connecting to galaxy , leave it set and tab out and check it every so often, the team does not deserve folks raging on them nor do they have time to anwer everyone who asks "we has server?"

Jlane
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
well you can expect 20/month from me once this thing gets kicking. hopefully people will do the same. Tons of effort and countless hours have been put into this project

SetsunaNexus
09-26-2009, 08:53 PM

A: Select your character, and let LPE sit at "Connecting to Galaxy." When a spot opens up, you will automatically load in.

Do you know that this part actually makes you wait for over half a day and still there is no entry.
Don't want to sound negative, but it doesn't feel right either getting an invite to join a game you are unable to log into.
I would apreciate a specific number on the CAP, and on the active pending users. that way i can figure out if we will ever get in.

Respect on the project though, neverthless...

opoke
09-26-2009, 09:00 PM
I've donated some already and plan to do so again in another month or so (sadly, not made of money!). This is worth spending the sub price to make sure they can keep it up and running. Hell, really worth more, but that's just me. Kind of addicted. :)

Would be nice to know if there should be separate goals for donations. For instance, $$ to pay for bandwidth, $$ to pay for server rental/purchase, $$ for [fill in the blank]. You get the idea. There are a few of us that want to throw money at this thing, and I think it's helpful to know what kind of dough is needed to pay those bills. Might be enough info to get others donating. Just a though...

Rippster
09-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I've donated some already and plan to do so again in another month or so (sadly, not made of money!). This is worth spending the sub price to make sure they can keep it up and running. Hell, really worth more, but that's just me. Kind of addicted. :)

Would be nice to know if there should be separate goals for donations. For instance, $$ to pay for bandwidth, $$ to pay for server rental/purchase, $$ for [fill in the blank]. You get the idea. There are a few of us that want to throw money at this thing, and I think it's helpful to know what kind of dough is needed to pay those bills. Might be enough info to get others donating. Just a though...

/signed

I was thinking the same thing today. I'd love to toss a few bucks towards a server or two or a dedicated line if I knew that's where my money was going. ;)

I'd also love to see more people step up and donate so perhaps that would be enough for them to get started.

xegos
09-26-2009, 09:10 PM
well you can expect 20/month from me once this thing gets kicking. hopefully people will do the same. Tons of effort and countless hours have been put into this project

agreed

Wen Talross
09-27-2009, 12:52 AM

Thats a great idea :) Maybe keep "Pay the Bills" area, and then you can expand it if you wish, to see the separate financial goals, and how far they have come about.

Raxxus
09-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I understand it, thanks for your work, maybe you should think in other donation method as SMS, i have played in WoW Server called GuerrerosPorLaPaz.com (translated as WarriorsForThePeace), in the beginning they have problems with the money, then they
activated donations via SMS and now they have over 3000 player online every day.
Is true see it http://www.guerrerosporlapaz.net/

Ashur
09-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, it's not the hardware the problem but it can lower our costs if we don't have to rent them. Those donated servers have yet to arrive as far as i know.

oooo cant wait :)

Ayz16
09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I feel this is more then a worthy cause for people (including myself) to start donating too, as for the login issues, just be patient mates - its well worth the wait imo. ;)

Chayn
09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
They had choices up there for a couple weeks this spring but they went away for some reason...

ShaydinTsepesh
09-27-2009, 12:46 PM
there may be more donations of folks knew exactly where thier money was going :)

perhaps its time to re-implent the "choices" ir just give ppl a breakdown

eeep acountants!

Chayn
09-27-2009, 01:00 PM
there may be more donations of folks knew exactly where thier money was going :)

perhaps its time to re-implent the "choices" ir just give ppl a breakdown

eeep acountants!

Lol, yeah, for me it's enough to know it's going towards the Emu. Imo, asking for an "itemized bill" kinda equates to, "I dont trust you to do the right thing with my money, show me the paperwork", just saying...

It would only lead to bickering over where we "think" it should go. I am fairly certain they know better than us what is needed where. Also imo, if you cant blindly donate then you shouldnt blindly play... ;)

rand4505
09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
What percentage of the bandwidth is being use for the client updates? Would if be effective to host these files at an alternative location? I have bluehost account where I could upload the files as an alternative location to free up the main server bandwidth if that is an issue.

loi kazaan
09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
i have an awful lot of money to donate to this if it would indeed help

SetsunaNexus
09-27-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't mean to sound negative, but i have been watching this website and the up-status closely and as soon as the server went up there were 500 peoples on it already within the minute. and we couldnt get in...

Now I'm wondering... I guess we'll never be able to get in like this.

It's good to see such a service exists, but your community exceeds your quota of MAX players by far.

I was specifically asked to check out this game, but for the last days i haven't exactly been able to get in. So I am wondering what to tell my teammates for there is a whole bunch of dutch gamers and game testers wanting to test this PRE CU and support this community.

"Goodluck with the server, and GODSPEED."

Omegataco
09-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Is the server deadlocked, or did they just cap it off at 500 today?

Kayliaah
09-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Is the server deadlocked, or did they just cap it off at 500 today?

Guess it's peak time, thus capped.
You can guess as they "restarted" (a bit rough for a restart with rollback) the server and now the max is around 500.

scorpiusjagr
09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
im also not able to conect but i can get in2 my char menu then it wont conect 2 game

Ekaika
09-27-2009, 03:22 PM
The OP in this thread addressed this exactly. Please don't use this space to simply post that you're experiencing what I noted is occurring. It clogs up the thread.

Ekaika
09-27-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't mean to sound negative, but i have been watching this website and the up-status closely and as soon as the server went up there were 500 peoples on it already within the minute. and we couldnt get in...

It's good to see such a service exists, but your community exceeds your quota of MAX players by far.

I was specifically asked to check out this game, but for the last days i haven't exactly been able to get in. So I am wondering what to tell my teammates for there is a whole bunch of dutch gamers and game testers wanting to test this PRE CU and support this community.

As this isn't a live play server, our primary focus is not on making the test environment max user capable. Our primary focus is a clean stable code-base. We certainly want everyone that would like to experience our project to have an opportunity, but we're not in a live game situation yet.

For those groups waiting to play a live game, post 1.0 release will see many servers pop up around the world. There will then be a place for everyone to play.

dragonx2040
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM

When I saw "So I am wondering what to tell my teammates.." I wanted to seriously find you, and somehow try to shove the knowledge that this is a "TEST SERVER" into your head. Instead of complaining about how you and your friends can't get in, find a way to throw a couple bucks to the servers so they can be upgraded to raise the server cap. If you want to "support this community", you aren't doing it by whining.

No, I am not one of those people who managed to get in, I haven't logged in for the last couple days, same as the rest of you.

Of course there's going to be many more people interested in SWGEmu than the number of people that can fit onto the server without it crashing. Especially after a huge update which got even more people wanting to play.

If you can donate through Paypal, do it. I wish there was a way you could donate besides Paypal, since I dislike their service fees, but oh well. If I could write a check/send cash, I would.

HigeeSnali
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
2days no connection woot

Master Chief
09-28-2009, 07:43 AM
When I saw "So I am wondering what to tell my teammates.." I wanted to seriously find you, and somehow try to shove the knowledge that this is a "TEST SERVER" into your head. Instead of complaining about how you and your friends can't get in, find a way to throw a couple bucks to the servers so they can be upgraded to raise the server cap. If you want to "support this community", you aren't doing it by whining.

No, I am not one of those people who managed to get in, I haven't logged in for the last couple days, same as the rest of you.

Of course there's going to be many more people interested in SWGEmu than the number of people that can fit onto the server without it crashing. Especially after a huge update which got even more people wanting to play.

If you can donate through Paypal, do it. I wish there was a way you could donate besides Paypal, since I dislike their service fees, but oh well. If I could write a check/send cash, I would.

I officially second your suggestion regarding alternate payment methods. I don't have Paypal yet (even if I were to get one in the near future, that's being rather ambitious given my current position in life and I'd still have to fill it with money like any bank account), but I still wanted to give money for upgrades and stuff. Seeing that 500+ surplus of money can REALLY go a long way in expanding the gaming experience such as hardware upgrades as suggested previously. If money's an issue, we should all do our best to solve that problem. It's the least we should be able to do as game-base fans; just a lot of us are unable to provide the capital because of this limitaion and/or we simply don't have that much to spare. Otherwise, we should be seeing this forum loaded with gold bar stacks.

StarDestroyer
09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
What percentage of the bandwidth is being use for the client updates? Would if be effective to host these files at an alternative location? I have bluehost account where I could upload the files as an alternative location to free up the main server bandwidth if that is an issue.

I kinda wonder that as well... would abusing BitTorrent help, perhaps? If that's done it'd be nice if there was an ability to limit bandwidth on the client end. I wouldn't mind some of my bandwidth being used for that, but if I use BT unrestricted on my little pipe I notice that everything else slows down, too. If I limit it I can leave it open w/out worry.

Nehemiah
09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey folks. I am new to the community so I'm not well versed in what is going on with the project. I was wondering how the server is set up at the moment, though. I ask because it seems that a project like this should be based upon grid computing to better handle serve load and enable for a greater up time.

I am currently teaching myself programming and plan on tinkering with the source code on my Linux VM, but I wouldn't mind looking into lending resources if that is possible as well. Either way, this looks like an awesome project and I hope I can help it along.

shilo
09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Strange.. Just got a "connection has timed out", while waiting to connect. after waiting for about 10-15 minutes.

Vlada
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Strange.. Just got a "connection has timed out", while waiting to connect. after waiting for about 10-15 minutes.

Not that unusual, try again...

Wen Talross
09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I officially second your suggestion regarding alternate payment methods. I don't have Paypal yet (even if I were to get one in the near future, that's being rather ambitious given my current position in life and I'd still have to fill it with money like any bank account), but I still wanted to give money for upgrades and stuff. Seeing that 500+ surplus of money can REALLY go a long way in expanding the gaming experience such as hardware upgrades as suggested previously. If money's an issue, we should all do our best to solve that problem. It's the least we should be able to do as game-base fans; just a lot of us are unable to provide the capital because of this limitaion and/or we simply don't have that much to spare. Otherwise, we should be seeing this forum loaded with gold bar stacks.

I use PayPal from here in Australia, and it works perfectly when donating. You simply designate the amount, in translates it into US dollars and goes from there. I get no account charges, no nothing, only when I am sending it overseas, or converting currency (i.e. into US dollars). Reason they use it as far as I see is because of its simplicity in design. It is done electronically, saving the need for someone to go somewhere to put a bunch of money/check's into a bank account. As I am a uni student, I don't get that much money, but when I do donate it simply comes out of my bank account via a transfer, and then from paypal into the donation coffer. Its a simple process with no worries added onto it. You do not require a tonne of money on there, it is a facility for you to put money on from your bank when you are willing to send it elsewhere - think of it as a go-between from your bank to the donation-receiver.

Security is great as well, as the site is secured and they have 24 hours fraud surveillance, and its double secure especially if you have a great security system on your computer. You can triple on that by changing your password regularly and doing the personal security measures, if one is the type to panic. Paypal also sends you a receipt to your email, and SWGemu does a one up on that and sends you a receipt to your inbox. In reality I can't see it getting any better. If your net isn't good perhaps have an alternate service, but if you have the internet (in order to play the emu you will need it), then paypal is easy as 1-2-3.

https://www.paypal-offers.com.au/personalaccount.asp - Thats what a personal account is to open it.

Ekowraith
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd have been less excited about the recent influx of population if I knew they'd be obstructing us long-time testers from playing.

Raavin
09-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah no joke. Think we could get a waiting list for players who's accounts have logged a certain amount of hours to get VIP access or something?

Tarnrue
09-28-2009, 08:58 PM
if anyone should have VIP access it should be the donaters, which would give more people a reason to donate. i recently started playing about 2 weeks ago..at least for the first time in a year or so. any no i havnt donated, i would love to be able to throw a couple bucks but i dont have a paypal and money is short in this sucky economy. It seem every weekend for the couple weeks i been playing its been like this though. it'll slack up during the week.

RagnarokStrike
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
if anyone should have VIP access it should be the donaters, which would give more people a reason to donate. i recently started playing about 2 weeks ago..at least for the first time in a year or so. any no i havnt donated, i would love to be able to throw a couple bucks but i dont have a paypal and money is short in this sucky economy. It seem every weekend for the couple weeks i been playing its been like this though. it'll slack up during the week.

That's a great idea. It'd be a good way to fund the server and keep the players happy at the same time.

Raavin
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah I hope, and on top of that with the servers dealing with the sudden exponential increases in people, the updates, the bugs they're working out and all the other stuff they're over loaded with it's really no surprise it's being a pain right now. But yeah I definitely agree, there should be some kinda VIP access for doners so they can get on.

ulukinatme
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Not that unusual, try again...

I'm curious. One time I was sitting and waiting, I believe I had gotten my timed out message. Yet, not long after the message popped I loaded in anyway.

Anyone confirm that you remain in the queue even after the timeout occurs?

Raavin
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
No I don't believe we can, and on top of that, I was booted from the server earlier for no reason and I haven't been able to log in since.

RagnarokStrike
09-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I can't log in either...

ulukinatme
09-28-2009, 09:13 PM
No I don't believe we can, and on top of that, I was booted from the server earlier for no reason and I haven't been able to log in since.

I've had this happen a few times, but it's been during a weekend when the queue is heavy anyway, or during prime time. If it happens at 4am though, and server isn't down, maybe I can pull some logs :)

Darkforcepowerrs
09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
This is very strange! Able to login and get to the character screen. After selecting the character to log in......A Mustafar log in screen appears with the green bars that fill counterclockwise like in the swg NGE connection screen. Even with less than 200 people logged into TC am unable to make a connection to have my character load into the game.

Is this normal? Have been trying for a few days to log in but not working at all!

shilo
09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm curious. One time I was sitting and waiting, I believe I had gotten my timed out message. Yet, not long after the message popped I loaded in anyway.

Anyone confirm that you remain in the queue even after the timeout occurs?

Sure hope not... lol

*edit*

LOL, I can confirm this. Waited again for about 15 minutes, I had it on in the background as I was watching something on Youtube, when I heard the sounds of tatooine replace the swg music.. so i go back to the load screen, there is a message that my connection has timed out, however the game was loading!! Now I am in game...however, I have to go to bed soon for work.. so someone will get my place when I log out in half an hour lol

Darkforcepowerrs
09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Forgot to mention this strange Mustafar connection screen is one I have never even seen in the SWG NGE or pre NGE game! This screen appears on two different computers when trying to log into the SwgEMu. This screen perhaps has something do with some HIDDEN JEDI?SITH content (hint) as the connection screen is titled:

"THE WEAK DESERVE THEIR FATE."

HERE IS THE TEXT OF THIS CONNECTION SCREEN:

Dust gathered in the corners of his mouth, around his wounds, as he stole a final glance at the burning sun of this unforgiving world. He could hear the footsteps of his enemy behind him, and the low hum of a weapon she wielded. It was at this moment he realized the mistake he made in taking this particular bounty. Arrogance. It had been his undoing.

On his knees, he turned his head to stare into the eyes of his enemy, knowing what was to happen next. It was inevitable, and out in the middle of no where, there was one who could save him.

He glanced into the eyes of his enemy, saw the dead look in here yellow eyes, and the twisted features in her face. Unforgiving, and without mercy. He tried to speak, but as he opened his mouth, he was only rewarded with a boot to the corner of his face.

Dazed, he turned to look up once more at the sky, and at his final moment, his enemy spoke. A simple sentence, yet, one which clearly decided what was to happen next.

"The weak deserve their fate."

This is very strange, as this screen has never appeared in the SWG NGE or pre NGE game. And the logo in the picuture of Mustafar on this connection screen says: SWGEMU - Relieve the Saga. This must be a hidden connection screen that isn't normally supposed to appear, or is slated to appear at some later development point in the game, yet somehow I'm seeing this strange and crytic JEDI/SITH content (hint screen). I forsee a great disturbance in the FORCE.

RagnarokStrike
09-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Forgot to mention this strange Mustafar connection screen is one I have never even seen in the SWG NGE or pre NGE game! This screen appears on two different computers when trying to log into the SwgEMu. This screen perhaps has something do with some HIDDEN JEDI?SITH content (hint) as the connection screen is titled:

Dust gathered in the corners of his mouth, around his wounds, as he stole a final glance at the burning sun of this unforgiving world. He could hear the footsteps of his enemy behind him, and the low hum of a weapon she wielded. It was at this moment he realized the mistake he made in taking this particular bounty. Arrogance. It had been his undoing.

On his knees, he turned his head to stare into the eyes of his enemy, knowing what was to happen next. It was inevitable, and out in the middle of no where, there was one who could save him.

He glanced into the eyes of his enemy, saw the dead look in here yellow eyes, and the twisted features in her face. Unforgiving, and without mercy. He tried to speak, but as he opened his mouth, he was only rewarded with a boot to the corner of his face.

Dazed, he turned to look up once more at the sky, and at his final moment, his enemy spoke. A simple sentence, yet, one which clearly decided what was to happen next.

This is very strange, as this screen has never appeared in the SWG NGE or pre NGE game. And the logo in the picuture of Mustafar on this connection screen says: SWGEMU - Relieve the Saga. This must be a hidden connection screen that isn't normally supposed to appear, or is slated to appear at some later development point in the game, yet somehow I'm seeing this strange and crytic JEDI/SITH content (hint screen). I forsee a great disturbance in the FORCE.

Hmm, you could be reading into it too much. I think it's just another of those entertaining stories you read while you wait for the game to finish loading. But good find, I wonder...

corbaer
09-28-2009, 09:58 PM

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30621

Darkforcepowerrs
09-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Was finally able to log into SwgEmu. However, for 2 days was bugged with that stange Mustafar connection screen. The original post was not a troll....simply posting info for ineterest by anyone who cares.....

unlocked a Jedi slot way before NGE came along, so hardly a noob, as have played SWG since launch in 2003.

Guryon
09-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Was finally able to log into SwgEmu. However, for 2 days was bugged with that stange Mustafar connection screen. The original post was not a troll....simply posting info for ineterest by anyone who cares.....

unlocked a Jedi slot way before NGE came along, so hardly a noob, as have played SWG since launch in 2003.

Dark, follow that link in the post above yours. That story/backscreen was created by one of our own community as part of a little competition. :)

ulukinatme
09-29-2009, 03:29 AM
Damn, server just go down? I was 3k unarmed xp from Smuggler =( Oh well, tomorrow I guess.

[edit] Erm, nm, one of those weird things where I was disconnected for no reason. Didn't get kicked out of Vent, so don't think it was network, hmm

Wen Talross
09-29-2009, 08:41 AM
This stuff will continue to happen as long as a huge influx of people want to play, with a limited pipeline for people to go through. Testing is the objective, not necessarily to game, hence just relax and take it easy. :cool:

Meh.... As a donater, I don't donate to get VIP access, its not needed on a test server. Even on Suncrusher I don't think it would be needed at all. Making donaters above everyone else in my opinion isn't beneficial because a disparity is henceforth created. I make the donation to the cause that SWGemu is on, not for the actual game itself. I waited all day today to test and have had a chance to craft around a bit in the evening, doesn't bother me a bit if I wasn't able to before. What I can take to the bank that if it meant some other good ol' chap was able to go and have alot of fun testing his blaster and found out it had some glitch and reported it, then it was well worth the waiting :)

SetsunaNexus
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Well what's even more frustrating is the craracter creation process. By the time there's an open spot you finally get into creation, but then when you want to connect, it's either offline or too crowded and you just sit there thinking, what can it be. Going in the character creation process for the 15th time is quite annoying.

But sure,Wen Talross, we'll relax. I'll throw a party. and who knows, some day.

:-D

bongandbeer
09-29-2009, 09:28 AM
im just curious, maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but ..

how often is the server going down per day, is there any particular scedule? or is it just goin down when it "needs" to be rebooted? cuz strangely almost everytime i log in after a short period of time it says "server shutting down in 30 seconds",... i guess im just having bad luck on this,...

edit:
atm the login server appears to be offline too

Chayn
09-29-2009, 09:44 AM
No, no schedule... just whenever there's a problem, fix, addition, tweak ready, etc...

Omegataco
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Over 1000 people on right now!

RagnarokStrike
09-29-2009, 06:28 PM
This stuff will continue to happen as long as a huge influx of people want to play, with a limited pipeline for people to go through. Testing is the objective, not necessarily to game, hence just relax and take it easy. :cool:

Meh.... As a donater, I don't donate to get VIP access, its not needed on a test server. Even on Suncrusher I don't think it would be needed at all. Making donaters above everyone else in my opinion isn't beneficial because a disparity is henceforth created. I make the donation to the cause that SWGemu is on, not for the actual game itself. I waited all day today to test and have had a chance to craft around a bit in the evening, doesn't bother me a bit if I wasn't able to before. What I can take to the bank that if it meant some other good ol' chap was able to go and have alot of fun testing his blaster and found out it had some glitch and reported it, then it was well worth the waiting :)

On Suncrusher, it probably won't be needed. On the TC though, we need as many donations as possible. Donators won't be above everyone else, they will only get access to the server and that is not irrational because they are the reason the server is running at all! It's not as if the community is seperated into who has money gets the priority. They're not bribing the devs for ingame items, they're trying to help test the game and to be honest...I think those who donate are more dedicated to the overall finding bugs, reporting than those who don't.

Wen Talross
09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Well what's even more frustrating is the craracter creation process. By the time there's an open spot you finally get into creation, but then when you want to connect, it's either offline or too crowded and you just sit there thinking, what can it be. Going in the character creation process for the 15th time is quite annoying.

But sure,Wen Talross, we'll relax. I'll throw a party. and who knows, some day.

:-D

Good idea :)

2 questions.

a.) Where is my invite?
b.) You're paying for my plane ticket, right? :p

Edit: 1010 people, how epic! :D

BountyHunter
09-29-2009, 07:39 PM
congrats on another milestone reached! 1000+ users awesome job well done!

Mr Sneaky
09-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Anyone else having a hard time logging in today? It kinda seems like the deadlock, just never connects. Been trying for a while, it may just be to many people and on and I can't get in, not sure. It just seems a little weird considering it usually only takes a few mins at most. If its not a problem I guess I'll just wait to get on like everyone else.

Master Chief
09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes, I am having trouble also. I thought that the server was capped, but it's a school/business day, so what would the server be doing capped? Do people play Emu from work or something?

Yeah, I'm having trouble too.

Setee
09-30-2009, 11:51 AM
iv been trying to connect for a half hour no luck. it might be a server cap at like 520 but idk. last night was crazy with 1k+ people on.

sXeKJB
09-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes, I am having trouble also. I thought that the server was capped, but it's a school/business day, so what would the server be doing capped? Do people play Emu from work or something?

Yeah, I'm having trouble too.

maaayyybeeee.....:D

Kayliaah
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Server is fine as I'm on right now.
Just capped.

The shared bandwidth must be stressed to death by all the customers using it at this moment, I guess.

If it's capped, there is a reason, I don't think the devs would cap it for the fun or just to annoy you.

Master Chief
09-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Server is fine as I'm on right now.
Just capped.

The shared bandwidth must be stressed to death by all the customers using it at this moment, I guess.

If it's capped, there is a reason, I don't think the devs would cap it for the fun or just to annoy you.

I positively agree with you as far as STAFF integrity. I must say it is annoying, though, to sit here and wait when I was hoping to spend all afternoon fighting, grinding, and seeking "rumors," wherever the freak that dispenses them is at.

Mr Sneaky
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Well if others are getting on I guess I'm just getting unlucky, oh well I'm bout to go do rl things anyways.

voltrox
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Whenever I get disconnected in an un-orderly manner (PC reboot) I can pretty much give up on being able to connect again afterwards. Like right now I haven't been able to connect for an hour yet I see the server population bouncing up and down from 49x to 53x users.

Kayliaah
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Well just sit at the loading screen, it took me more than 30 minutes to log on my toon, so it's not hopeless, it just takes a while.

The cap isn't at 500 or 530 straight, it's between 500 and 530-540, it's really random.
You can see players entering and leaving the game but it doesn't mean that when they logout, a place is instantly freed and you can login.

There are hundreds of people trying at the same time, the login server is crying I assure you. :o

Arinndei
09-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Last time i spent half an hour connecting to the galaxy i had just smoked something dubious....

well in the mean time heres some entertainment.

/sings
/dances

youre all very welcome, dont forget to tip :) xxxx

Master Chief
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
lol, Well how could there be so many people on now? I thought that the two times to go on would be during work hours and during late night hours. That way, the bulk of people are either at jobs/school or are in bed, dreaming about either Emu or love-life or the future or what-not.

Vlada
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
lol, Well how could there be so many people on now? I thought that the two times to go on would be during work hours and during late night hours.

They invented something called Time Zones. I'm not sure but it has something to do with Earth being round or something, so while on one side people sleep, on the other they are awake. :eek: So I've been told.

Master Chief
09-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I know that. I just thought that the majority of people were in US Eastern Time Zone. I suppose my original post was, hmm....too vague.

Lobreeze
09-30-2009, 12:54 PM
They invented something called Time Zones. I'm not sure but it has something to do with Earth being round or something, so while on one side people sleep, on the other they are awake. :eek: So I've been told.

This.

I know that. I just thought that the majority of people were in US Eastern Time Zone. I suppose my original post was, hmm....too vague.

Against popular belief the world doesn't revolve around Eastern US. Dare I go out on a limb and say you live in Eastern US somewhere?

Master Chief
09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Correct, and judging from other posts, so does a bulk of the active STAFF, but that's going out on a limb on my part.

krachera
09-30-2009, 01:24 PM

$800? That's expensive. In town about 30km(20 miles) from here they have a connections at 100/100mbit and they promise the connection won't drop below 50mbit for less then $100.

To bad i don't live there :(

Ekaika
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
From what I've seen, the easiest time to get on begins around midnight EST and runs through the next morning.

x-Ammo-Nx-x
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Probably some servers will be donated in the near future so we can solve this problem finally.

I've tried contacting a dozen members of staff about donating a server for the Emu team but am yet to get any reply. A simple no thank you would be suffice, then I don't have to keep trying to chase people up about it and being ignored on IRC.

It is hard to want to help a team when you are constantly hit with a wall of silence.

Vlada
09-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I've tried contacting a dozen members of staff about donating a server for the Emu team but am yet to get any reply. A simple no thank you would be suffice, then I don't have to keep trying to chase people up about it and being ignored on IRC.

It is hard to want to help a team when you are constantly hit with a wall of silence.

Did you try to PM or email Eka or Max?

x-Ammo-Nx-x
09-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Did you try to PM or email Eka or Max?

Yes.

Ekaika
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I forwarded your PM to the team a few days ago. Everyone is quite busy, please be patient. We appreciate your interest in helping.

x-Ammo-Nx-x
09-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I forwarded your PM to the team a few days ago. Everyone is quite busy, please be patient. We appreciate your interest in helping.

Thank you, it is nice to be acknowledged, I wasn't even sure my PMs were even getting through and it was becoming frustrating. ;)

Raavin
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
So is there a chance that I can't connect because I was on all morning? Last night my character got hit with a DoT we know as "Disease" and I got knocked down to 1/1 HP so I left my character in the Hospital while I went to school. Obviously the game logs you out after awhile of being afk, but is there a chance the server is preventing me from logging in due to the time I was on already?

xomm
10-01-2009, 01:21 AM
So is there a chance that I can't connect because I was on all morning? Last night my character got hit with a DoT we know as "Disease" and I got knocked down to 1/1 HP so I left my character in the Hospital while I went to school. Obviously the game logs you out after awhile of being afk, but is there a chance the server is preventing me from logging in due to the time I was on already?

no, but if your just sitting in the hospitol when u went to school.... logout so others can actually test? You can heal your wounds when you login next. :rolleyes:

Raavin
10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
no, but if your just sitting in the hospitol when u went to school.... logout so others can actually test? You can heal your wounds when you login next. :rolleyes:

Pssh it logs me out after 45 minutes in idle anyway, and considering you've got like a million Entertainers AFK Macroing it'd be smarter to yell at, I think making sure I can actually go out and test when I get back takes higher priority. Besides I've already found a group bug and a Sevortt spawn bug that I wouldn't have been able to find if I spent a million years in the hospital waitin' around.

MyersCod
10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Pssh it logs me out after 45 minutes in idle anyway, and considering you've got like a million Entertainers AFK Macroing it'd be smarter to yell at, I think making sure I can actually go out and test when I get back takes higher priority. Besides I've already found a group bug and a Sevortt spawn bug that I wouldn't have been able to find if I spent a million years in the hospital waitin' around.

Sevortt's are invisible : )

Raavin
10-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Sevortt's are invisible : )

Incorrect lol, hit tab, they spawn under ground

Spade13
10-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Isnt it deadlocked at the moment ? Im just not sure , just came home from work.

General ONeil
10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I've been trying to stay on for the past couple of hours, and it just keeps disconnecting, so if it's deadlocked, it must be repeating the problem.

Nordrem
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
its not deadlocked, just keeps crashing, or more hopefully they just keep bringing it down to fix something.

speedwack420
10-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Seems to be rolling back each time so it might be crashes damn devs get me hooked then lead me around with there carrot :P.

General ONeil
10-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Been crashing for a while now, pretty crazy. Hope it gets fixed soon. :(

Raavin
10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah I can't get on at the moment, I think it's just buggy, We raid tomorrow!

Kayliaah
10-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah I can't get on at the moment, I think it's just buggy, We raid tomorrow!

Server is deadlocked.
Wannabe. :rolleyes:

General ONeil
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Lol, well the saga continues with the reboots. Anyone know why it's so buggy now? New bugs from the new update?

Edit: Any word on the reboot and crazy lag going on? I'd like to attempt to help if anyone has any ideas on the issue.

Ekaika
10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
As always, up/downs are part of debugging. There's nothing you can do to help, but thanks for the offer. Yes, it's all part of the massive patch, and then adding 1000 clients to that.

Hedley
10-02-2009, 07:45 PM
emphasis on downs there, when i do manage the miracle of getting on its anywhere between 10-35 second delay on everything.....SO much fun

Ekaika
10-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Ironically fun isn't what we're going for right now.

Master Chief
10-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Well based on the reports of server performance, I don't see how QA can serve their purpose if the server is so unable as of late. I really don't want to go dorment, but if this problem will take considerable time to resolve, I won't be checking much for a few days or so.

Ekaika
10-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Honesty, that's not a bad idea. We by no means want anyone to stop checking in, but if the current flurry of bugfixes and crazy TC action frustrates anyone, it would be advisable to hang back until we reach a greater stability and resolve some of the outstanding issues.

On another note.. QA does its work on our internal server. This is on a different box (don't panic about bandwidth). When there's a major bug or whatnot found on Nova, it is taken to ITC for thorough research.

Master Chief
10-02-2009, 09:13 PM
QA does its work on our internal server. This is on a different box (don't panic about bandwidth). When there's a major bug or whatnot found on Nova, it is taken to ITC for thorough research.

Wow, that sounds so sweet! That's just another motivational factor for me to persevere. I'm hoping that I get on the QA now even more than I was before, but if not, I heard about some other community group, I think it was "Content Expansion Development" or something of that nature, that I'd be hooking up with, which if I can amend my application, would be good to note for experience that I'm expecting.

Until either I get my badge or things aren't so hairy with the game, I'm going to pull back for a block of time. It beats moaning, right?

ymerej
10-02-2009, 09:45 PM
I've had a chance to play the last few days, I was just in awe of playing the game I spent almost 2 years loving again. Great job everyone.
I canceled 4 accounts from swg. Do not think I will be going back.

Patience is a virtue.

Master Chief
10-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Here here, and by cancelling 4 accounts, you save 60 dollars monthly, but of course you're welcome to donate that to here. Still welcome to SWGEmu, friend.

I've been having difficulties logging in still, but I'll keep trying until I have to take care of other things.

Bouma
10-02-2009, 10:14 PM
It is called the "Bottle Neck Syndrome".

Bandwidth is like the neck of a bottle. Filled with water, is the Users. The neck is the B/W available. Try to empty the bottle in one shot, isn't possible (technicaly speaking, breaking the bottle means breaking the system). So time is necessary to make the water flow until the last drop. Again, think now of infinite quantity of water in the bottle, it never ends.

Master Chief
10-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Very wise words. OK, I'll go and quest for perfect gigs throughout GH5, eat, write, and rest while I wait. Given my current position, it seems to be the smart thing to do.

odohvare
10-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Do you know that this part actually makes you wait for over half a day and still there is no entry.
Don't want to sound negative, but it doesn't feel right either getting an invite to join a game you are unable to log into.
I would apreciate a specific number on the CAP, and on the active pending users. that way i can figure out if we will ever get in.

Respect on the project though, neverthless...

I have never and I repeat NEVER had to wait more than 10 minutes while sitting at the Connecting to Galaxy screen.

There is one exception, however. Just the other night, LPE said the server was up, so I tried to connect. It sat and sat and sat, so I gave up and closed it. Fired up mIRC and low and behold, all the support, status, and help channels had the servers status as DEADLOCKED right in their Topics.

The Online status monitors on this website are useless if the server is Deadlocked. They will still show the server as online, even though it is impossible to connect. The only place to get an effective Status is in IRC.

Other than a deadlock situation though, I have never had to wait longer than 10 minutes. :)

Good Luck Everyone, and May The Force Be With You!

odohvare
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Ever think of picking up Novice Medic and healing yourself instead of waiting around for millions of years?

And I bet you would say where are all the entertainers if they were prevented from macroing those professions. You'd want the mind/BF heals and (if they ever get the Entertainer Healing XP fixed) the mind buffs.

ailan
10-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Ever think of picking up Novice Medic and healing yourself instead of waiting around for millions of years?

And I bet you would say where are all the entertainers if they were prevented from macroing those professions. You'd want the mind/BF heals and (if they ever get the Entertainer Healing XP fixed) the mind buffs.

Why do we need afk ents on the server when there are atleast 5-6 at the keys players doing the same thing, trying to chat and enjoy themselves while serving the general pop. Its not like these macros are unsung heroes. Most of the macros aren't there for the general good, they are there to grind out the profession. I'll only be crying if I can't find an ent thats not afk. It doesn't seem right that afk players get precedent over the ones getting out there and hunting/testing etc. Will a macro fill out a bug report? This seems like it would make sense in a time where the server limit caps. In corporate beta testing, they don't just let everyone join in, they select people that are going to help the project.

Master Chief
10-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Why do we need afk ents on the server when there are atleast 5-6 at the keys players doing the same thing, trying to chat and enjoy themselves while serving the general pop. Its not like these macros are unsung heroes. Most of the macros aren't there for the general good, they are there to grind out the profession. I'll only be crying if I can't find an ent thats not afk. It doesn't seem right that afk players get precedent over the ones getting out there and hunting/testing etc. Will a macro fill out a bug report? This seems like it would make sense in a time where the server limit caps. In corporate beta testing, they don't just let everyone join in, they select people that are going to help the project.

I've been trying to make that clear for my time here. So I can't even get on because there's a server cap, and even if some if not all the afk-ers are wiped off, there are probably so many others in front of me that I'd still not be able to get a chance.

Ah well. It's a pain we all simply have to sit through.

dragonx2040
10-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I've already submitted this to the bug report, but does anyone else keep crashing?

I created a flora survey tool, and when I used it, then I crashed. Whenever I logged on, then I crashed. >_> This happened with my other toon too.

Vlada
10-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I've already submitted this to the bug report, but does anyone else keep crashing?

I created a flora survey tool, and when I used it, then I crashed. Whenever I logged on, then I crashed. >_> This happened with my other toon too.

Were you south of Cnet?

ceid
10-03-2009, 01:48 PM
as far as the afk thing... yes its anoying.

however, have you ever tried leveling dancer or musician? every 5 seconds or so I'll get 14-36 exp depending on if anyone is watching or listening. You also must have wounds in order for me to get the ent healing exp which is ALSO nessissary.

I do use a macro on my entertainer, mainly to automate the florishes instead of sitting there button mashing like a mad man. Usually there is an afk medic or doctor sitting near me with his own macro on to heal my action pool as it swiftly drains.

I count, right now, 7 people inside the cantina at cor doing either an afk macro while staying at thier pc, or just plain ole afk macroing.

The main problem is those that try to afk macro combat professions. Those are alot more fun than the ent and art trees... You seriously must have never tried to level either. Its not like their hologrinding, they're just trying to help out those that need buffs, or ent mind / BF healing.

edit: oh, and every time a fix goes through the afkers are force logged off. So every half hour is a clean slate for you to try to get in.

ailan
10-03-2009, 02:19 PM
You can run a macro to beat the repetition, and still stay and chat. I'm talking about docs ents, combat profs whatever, that leave the keys for hours at a time. There isn't really an excuse. I used to play an ent I would use a macro and stay at keys and chat in the cantina. Also is the wound xp working yet? I thought it wasn't. Anyways, try to get an invite into the ent group when they all go afk. Its great.

Master Chief
10-03-2009, 02:40 PM
WE seem to have had a server crash.

Recent update: The server has reported a shutdown. I'm eager to hear the story behind this.

ymerej
10-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Here here, and by cancelling 4 accounts, you save 60 dollars monthly, but of course you're welcome to donate that to here. Still welcome to SWGEmu, friend.

I've been having difficulties logging in still, but I'll keep trying until I have to take care of other things.

Yeah, I think 60 a month was covering 4 accounts I could play.
I do not believe one account I can not currently log into is worth 60 dollars a month. Still, thank you for the financial advice.
I will gladly contribute 15 monthly to help this game move forward.

Master Chief
10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Well although I seem to have less difficulty logging in recently, I have been getting crashed much more frequently. I don't know which'll prove worse.

ceid
10-03-2009, 09:16 PM
once that dude hit jedi, the whole server, irc java, forums, and the site crashed.... epic.

Ekaika
10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Unrelated.

Rippster
10-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Whatever TheAnswer did, it's working, and working VERY well! :O:D

/cheer

TheExile
10-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Whatever TheAnswer did, it's working, and working VERY well! :O:D

/cheer
A thousand times This.

Rippster
10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
A thousand times This.

/agreed

I'm continually blown away at the mad skills these guys possess. I just shake my head at what they've accomplished and how quickly things get fixed.

Huge kudos to all involved! It's truly amazing watching all of you guys work. ;)

ceid
10-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Unrelated.

still... Its quite a coinkidink...

edit:

Oh, and yes.... playing tonight is like.... wow... better than the old SoE servers.. Whatever you guys did worked awesomely...

I like making new words... People hate when I try to play scrabble though.

Cronic Joe Blunt
10-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Hey guys, SWGemu is doing the best they can with very limited resources, remember it took somebody like SOE with their big budgets and $15 a month per account funding it to make swg even exsist. the simple fact that SWGEmu guys have gotten a functioning server up and running with no help from SOE or anybody else really is alot to expect.

I may be reading to much into some of these posts, but I get the impression you guys all expect it to be perfect and you forget perfection costs, alot. so unless everybody is gonna start sending a donation EVERY month then you have nothing to complain about. You are, after all, playing a game free of charge. So the next time the server is laggy or you can't login and you want to complain or get frustrated, go and pay up $15 to SOE and login to your SWG account on their servers and remember what frustrated and pissed off really feels like, particularly when you are paying for it.

The day I am putting money every month into the hands of swgemu I will have rights to complain or to demand better, until then, there is an old saying, "you get what you paid for" and well right now everybody is getting a hell of a good deal for their, well, nothing they put out every month, cause nothing is what everybody is asked to pay.

It doesn't matter if somebody donated servers, or if somebody has rich parents, if you think that somebody needs to setup then perhaps it should be you, who cares if they got 100 servers given to them. If that is true then obviously all that stuff is only good enough to make it run as it does now, If anyone wants and expects it to be better then feel free to fork over whatever it will take to make it that way. If you can't well then deal with whatever is there and enjoy it for what it is or go back to SOE, where you get to pay and be ignored, screwed over and then banned for thinking that you & your money meant **** to them.

I say hats off to you guys at SWGEmu!! keep doing what your doing & I'll keep being glad you guys are dedicated enough to keep SWG alive and as it should have been instead of the shell of a game SOE has turned it into.

Oh on a side note, SOE is shutting down like 5 or 6 of its servers, my old server Intrepid is one of them, so much for NGE making SWG better and a game for the ages.............

Ratchet' Autobot
10-04-2009, 01:02 AM
I must have missed the post your talking about, It seemed to me that every one here is very happy with the awsome work being done by the emu team. I know I am. it seemed to me every one was singing the teams prases for getting it working even better, not critisizing (or however you spell it. lol).

Guryon
10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
The day I am putting money every month into the hands of swgemu I will have rights to complain or to demand better....

Hey Cronic. I agree with all that you said except the above. The money we give to the emu project is a donation, not a subsctiption or payment for a service provided. It doesn't entitle us to expect or demand anything more than the people who don't donate. Which is nothing!

Ratchet' Autobot
10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey Cronic. I agree with all that you said except the above. The money we give to the emu project is a donation, not a subsctiption or payment for a service provided. It doesn't entitle us to expect or demand anything more than the people who don't donate. Which is nothing!

/agree

Ekaika
10-04-2009, 01:56 AM
As stated.. we're working to provide you the best possible play experience.

Spade13
10-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Eerrr is it just me or is the Server deadlocked atm? I cant login with my only toon , so i guess im not hit by the "2 toons" fix.

Guryon
10-04-2009, 02:01 AM
As stated.. we're working to provide you the best possible play experience.

And doing an amazing job. :)

Kayliaah
10-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Eerrr is it just me or is the Server deadlocked atm? I cant login with my only toon , so i guess im not hit by the "2 toons" fix.

Deadlock it is.

Spade13
10-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Deadlock it is.

Mhm.So patient ill have to be.
Quiet and peacefull the way to an working server is.
Thankfull for Kayliaah answering me i am.

Kayliaah
10-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Mhm.So patient ill have to be.
Quiet and peacefull the way to an working server is.
Thankfull for Kayliaah answering me i am.

Welcome, you are.
The farce... with you... may be.

Lazerbrick
10-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Welcome, you are.
The farce... with you... may be.

i see what you did there.

cru jodo
10-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I understand and agree with a TC cap. Hell I am happy that in the last few days I have been playing a game I thought was dead and gone forever.

But it is a test center server, which means that the people who are AFK a long long time (I mean 6-12 hours) are holding up spots on the server and not contributing actively to finding bugs.

No offense to people who spend their time to create marcos and camp and gruel in non combat proffesions that aren't as fun. I love sweet composite armor, and I know I would never have it if somebody didn't drudge through mining and crafting.

But this doesn't exactly accomplish the mission of the test center. Of course there may be bugs in crafting, macros, etc..., but if You are away for 12 hours or more, then You will have not much of a chance of spotting them.

And for the record, there are entire camps of mining campers with macros that had been there for at least 12 hours my first day, so I know it is happening.

Once a steady Live server is up, it would be cool to camp and run macros all you want, and I will pay handsomely for composite and a DE10, but until then would't it benifet the devs to bump people who have been away from their console for 6, 12 hours, maybe longer.

In no way am I saying if somebody steps out for a smoke, kick em', or if they are trying out macros kick em', but at a certain point the camping keeps other testers out and doesn't help.

Ekaika
10-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Can't force everyone to test. When we passed about 100 people online consistently that fell to the wayside. The testers are testing, and the people who say they're testing and just play will do that too.

fixit6
10-08-2009, 05:12 AM
No harvies; crafters HAVE to resort to alt samplers. And even then it's a painfully slow process. Head on over to the swg-craft site and look at the schemes of just say WS; incredible variety of resources needed. This is not like other games, the crafting here is complex as heck. To test all the schemes of all proffs, you need a boat load of different resources.

Anyways, even at peak hours it only took me tops 10 minutes to get in. I really don't know what's the problem now.

Yhor
10-08-2009, 07:09 AM
You know, I was also one who was saying kill the multi instances just last week, but I'm seriously glad they only killed all but two. They increased the server cap + limited to 2 instances; I haven't had any 'real' wait times since (I've seen much worse on paid game servers).

In all of my support for stopping all the afk samplers, I had forgotten just how time consuming it is to get 10-20 different resources to craft.... and then the crazy time it takes to actually craft. It is manageable with two toons, but I would have really hated myself for supporting only one instance if it had gone that way (having spent ~8 hours or so running around to just grab mats for poisons, then another ~3 hours making them... not even putting a dent in experience).

I guess I'm just trying to thank the "team" for having the foresight to make the right call. Sorry for my rambling...

fixit6
10-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Ironic, 8 hours stuck at connecting. Suprises me, usually get in.

Ah well....such is TC.

Dafole
10-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Ironic, 8 hours stuck at connecting. Suprises me, usually get in.

Ah well....such is TC.

Well something is wrong with TC. Bin lagin preaty much sense event and just gone from bad to worse. It did deadlock onces but fixed it self and rubberbanding and such have bin a huge problem entire night now. It took me 15 minutes to get to cantina in cnet cause of rubberbanding. It keep warping me between SP and cantina lol for 15 minutes.

Ekaika
10-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Sounds like anti-speedhack might be back up. Feel free to thank your friends that used it.

glaukos
10-09-2009, 02:46 AM
dang... those rotten stinkers!

Merkor
10-09-2009, 02:51 AM
is tc aktually deadlocked?

Vlada
10-09-2009, 02:59 AM
is tc aktually deadlocked?

Its down atm, yes.

Merkor
10-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Its down atm, yes.

ok thanks for the info:)

Master Chief
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
ok thanks for the info:)

That was 11 hours ago, and here I am, stuck at "connecting to the galaxy."

Vlada
10-09-2009, 01:06 PM
That was 11 hours ago, and here I am, stuck at "connecting to the galaxy."

You know why, server cap.

Flagg
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I can't even get to my character select screen. The message "The connection to the Login Server is now open..." appears with a loading bar.

Would that be due to the server cap as well? Or something else?

EDIT: Gah! Should have been more patient. Everything seems to be in working order now ^^

Though I'm still curious what would cause that?

Vlada
10-09-2009, 03:23 PM
You answered your own question. ;)

agben
10-09-2009, 11:25 PM
lololololololol

TugNut
10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
is server down right now its 11:22pm EST on Sat Oct 10 2009 or just the cap??? been at the connecting to galaxy for 45 mins now :(

dragonslayer_75
10-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Was wondering the same. I was online, lost connection, and can't get back in.

Strikor
10-10-2009, 10:57 AM
It's been up and down for awhile now. Everything should be fine at your end.

dragonslayer_75
10-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I knew my end was ok....I can run World of Warcraft with no issues. It's just that I really want to play SWG! :D

opoke
10-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Been going up and coming down for awhile now. Hope it gets fixed and stays up, though.

zabrakwith
10-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I finally find the resource I need (searched for 3 hours last night with no luck), and now I can't stay logged in. Oh well...hopefully the problem is resolved soon :)

shilo
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Seems like there is no reason to test today. The server is up for about 15 minutes, than down, than up, than down.

With the 5 minute window before the game saves your progress, it is pointless. I was in the wilds of talus, and trying to get to the Imp base. I got there, three times, and three times I went LD, and was warped back to where I started in the wilds!

The last time the server went down, I actually made it all the way to the Coronet Cantina on Corellia. So who knows maybe my toon is actually in the Imp base this time!! lol

anyways, no point in testing right now. Your just going to waste your time/weekend.

TugNut
10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
boourns lol that sucks...well hope to see u guys later tonight mabie it will be fixed by then but idk i was havin problem last night with it around 10pm EST aswell so for the on all night part :( mabie server was just capped and i couldnt get in lol

XBitX
10-10-2009, 12:47 PM
boourns lol that sucks...well hope to see u guys later tonight mabie it will be fixed by then but idk i was havin problem last night with it around 10pm EST aswell so for the on all night part :( mabie server was just capped and i couldnt get in lol

Well all I know is that Saturday, October 10th (today) the server is up and down every like fifteen minutes. I was JUST able to get in, travel, get a mission, and run out to it, but then it went down. So like was said before, it's pretty much not worth trying until we get something to say it's stable...

Yyss'a
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I know there are several links showing TC NOVA's current status. My question is: is there an available log of TC NOVA's activities, so we could see when and how long it goes down?

nee2earth
10-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Well all I know is that Saturday, October 10th (today) the server is up and down every like fifteen minutes. I was JUST able to get in, travel, get a mission, and run out to it, but then it went down. So like was said before, it's pretty much not worth trying until we get something to say it's stable...

As far as i heard in-game, the HAM bars were bug'd (not replenishing) and buffs were bugging out too.

That's possibly why the server is so "un-stable" today.

Either way, intellectually we all realize this is a TEST Server and 'free' at that, but emotionally as Humans we can't help but become frustrated or disappointed or anxious when things don't "work" when/how we want them to.

I only wish there was something more I could do to help whomever is in-charge of the EMU, but i don't know any Millionaires to give them the funding they definitely deserve (imo) , nor do i know anyone at SOE/LA to give them the support they could use to expedite their grueling process.

TugNut
10-10-2009, 02:23 PM
watch it be the vendor on theed ripping me off 15k for a bone chest peice lol took money no item...then server being unstable lol

damn u bone chest armor lol it got jammed somewhere lol

AIQ88
10-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Well is it stable now or not?

nee2earth
10-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Well is it stable now or not?

Yes, although there is a lot more 'rubberbanding' today than in the past few days

Super_reggin
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
the rubberbanding is quite annoying...i spent 5 mins trying to get into eisley

nee2earth
10-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Yep i hear ya, but whats incredible is despite all these normal (for a Test server) but annoying issues, there are still TONS of people truly enjoying themselves.

It's proof that pre-cu has been and will forever be infinitely better than that dreadful NGE version of swg.

Yhor
10-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Yep i hear ya, but whats incredible is despite all these normal (for a Test server) but annoying issues, there are still TONS of people truly enjoying themselves.

It's proof that pre-cu has been and will forever be infinitely better than that dreadful NGE version of swg.

What's even more amazing to me is that the rubberbanding back then, on live, was worse in Mos Eisley then than it is now on a test server that's not nearly as funded or staffed (while running debugging software). :cool:

nee2earth
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
What's even more amazing to me is that the rubberbanding back then, on live, was worse in Mos Eisley then than it is now on a test server that's not nearly as funded or staffed (while running debugging software). :cool:

lol yeah, imagine what these emu peeps could do with some serious FUNDING

btw: server just crashed.../ponder

Master Chief
10-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, the startup interface is reporting Nova is offline.

Hangman
10-10-2009, 11:49 PM
It seems to me, that when the server is laggy, rubber-banding, buggy and whatever else. A lot of the times it is being cause by something the dev-team is doing. Whether running the debugger, changing code or I have no idea what. This is telling me they have time available to put into developing the game. So lag me, crash me, shut me down, or wipe me out. If they have time to contribute, then I have time to redo whatever may have been undone.

nee2earth
10-11-2009, 12:06 AM
It seems to me, that when the server is laggy, rubber-banding, buggy and whatever else. A lot of the times it is being cause by something the dev-team is doing. Whether running the debugger, changing code or I have no idea what. This is telling me they have time available to put into developing the game. So lag me, crash me, shut me down, or wipe me out. If they have time to contribute, then I have time to redo whatever may have been undone.

QFE, i swear i could play/grind/redo anything pre-cu related from now until Eternity lol

no idea why it's so much fun but it just is

Master Chief
10-11-2009, 12:09 AM

I'm right there with you.

Seanalexnutt
10-11-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm more than willing to re-grind whatever I've done with the amount of dedication the developers put into this server. Pre-CU was everything to me back in the day, and I'm just appreciative to have a chance to go back at it again.

Darkdave
10-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Ditto, i really dont understand all these people moaning about downtime and lag etc....
Its a game in developmentand its getting better all the time.
The Devs and everybody involved in the project are doing an amazing job recreating this world for all of us and the least we can do is be patient and show alot of gratitude for what we have. :)

arween
10-11-2009, 04:09 AM
signed.
Let the devs doing their job and let them sleep from time to time.:)
We waited 4 years, be patient.

bongandbeer
10-11-2009, 04:29 AM
dont wanna whine,... just askin ,... is it on my end or is the server really down atm ?

Darkdave
10-11-2009, 04:31 AM
dont wanna whine,... just askin ,... is it on my end or is the server really down atm ?

Its down on my end to, so i assume TC itself is down :)

bongandbeer
10-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Its down on my end to, so i assume TC itself is down :)

ahhh thats ,... well not good but,... better to knoww lol,...
as i was connected yesterday i got kicked out a couple of times and then i had to pick up my wife early =( ,... so no chance for me to run around ,...
hope itll be so cuz i got all day to play today, would be awesome if i can use this time,.. =)

Darkdave
10-11-2009, 04:42 AM
ahhh thats ,... well not good but,... better to knoww lol,...
as i was connected yesterday i got kicked out a couple of times and then i had to pick up my wife early =( ,... so no chance for me to run around ,...
hope itll be so cuz i got all day to play today, would be awesome if i can use this time,.. =)

Same here, kids are playing nicely in the other room, missus is at work.......

Loadsa time to play, server is always down for a good reason though so its just a patience and waiting game :)

Iv been racing through gran turismo on the psp while waiting, great game and great time waster :p

bongandbeer
10-11-2009, 04:49 AM
noe its up

Ghhost974
10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
For the last half hour it's been on "Connecting To Galaxy" with no luck on gettin in... Wonder if it is down because it only says theres 171 logged on users the last time i checked the server statis

LMFAO As Soon as i typed this it connected to the galaxy and now i have to log off entirely now lol just my luck least it workin though have fun guys

Hernest Novak
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Why the hell its saying: invalid account the user is not a forum registered?!?

kuho
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
wont let me log on either :(

Orvejo
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I cannot get in either :(

Joshino
10-12-2009, 04:55 PM
rofl *looks at watch* sigh.

Vlada
10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Why the hell its saying: invalid account the user is not a forum registered?!?

Your account is maybe not yet activated or like Kay told you, you chose a bad user name.

In any case sand an email to community@swgemu.com and explain to them your problem.

wont let me log on either :(

I cannot get in either :(

It was mentioned a few million times that there is a server cap now between 800 and 1000 instances logged on, and if you cant connect, leave it "connecting to the galaxy", and you will eventually get in.

Orvejo
10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Well.... at least it's something worth waiting for lol /shrug

Lobreeze
10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Guys if you read the OP (you know, the whole point of this thread) it tells you why you can't connect.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30549

Orvejo
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM

I read the OP. Just twiddling my fingers till I get in....

Orvejo
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
aaaannnnddd...... I'm in lol

migalouch
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
How long is the average wait anyone know?

Vlada
10-12-2009, 05:19 PM
How long is the average wait anyone know?

Usually until you get in. Then I recommend you stop waiting. ;)

Ghhost974
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Recommended Waiting Time Is (xx). our operators will be with you when a spot becomes available.
/Holding Music Plays

DutstraDutton
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey guys just got some free time on my hands while waiting to connect to the server and play some SWGe.

Thought I'd flick through the forums see whats been happening and I came across this Thread and it seems to have turned from a thread to say why you cant connect to a thread where people spam questions that are explained in the first post...

Just a suggestion but people are treating the Core3 as a fully functional game... oh wait its not full release?!

Maybe as a solution to getting people online for a little fun have some sort of timed allowance for each User... say about 1-3 hours. This would then make it more fair for people to connect rather than someone to just...

Login Conect to their Master Entertainer/Master Dancer
/Macro Flourish Spam
/Macro Say rubbish spam
/AFK

Then go work for 9 hours...

Well its either alot do that or their have taught their cats, dogs and other pets how to play the game.

I think personally that 3 hours is more than enough for each person to try the game test the chosen proffessions and have fun.

Just remember all your endless grinding will be wiped at some point so dont spend 9 hours a day grinding credits when its all just going into the bin :P

inertpyro
10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
That seems like a pretty fair deal. It would be nice also if there was a message like "Your time will be up in 15 mins" to give you a heads up. Or a timer some where on the screen.

I just started playing and i have to say you guys have done a great job. Really brings back memories and fun times. I will definitely make a monthly donation to this cause.

Furthur
10-20-2009, 09:26 PM
most folks get booted every hour or so. Lots want to play..not room for all! While the grind is futile at this point..its the best way to test things out so get out there and spin some lairs or whatever you prefer.

katteni
10-21-2009, 02:17 AM
seems to be deadlocked for at least 7 hours now.

windgrace03
10-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Same I haven't been able to log in all night or this morning at all

Chayn
10-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Same I haven't been able to log in all night or this morning at all

yeah, deadlocked for bout 14 hours now..

Vlada
10-21-2009, 07:20 AM
IRC #test or #status channel

Its deadlocked atm.

ymerej
10-21-2009, 08:27 AM
In 2009, a crack Hacker unit was banned by a Community forum court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security ban to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the gdevelopers, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The h(A)ck-Team.

Alandar
10-21-2009, 11:30 AM
yeah, deadlocked for bout 14 hours now..

Indeed, I wonder where the devs are right now and why they havn't restarted the server.

markie1979
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Prolly they first search trough the logs to find what caused it, then try to fix it, and then putting it back online.

Lobreeze
10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Prolly they first search trough the logs to find what caused it, then try to fix it, and then putting it back online.

Bingo. Whats the point in not fixing what went wrong, only for it to go wrong again.

Raavin
10-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey guys just got some free time on my hands while waiting to connect to the server and play some SWGe.

Thought I'd flick through the forums see whats been happening and I came across this Thread and it seems to have turned from a thread to say why you cant connect to a thread where people spam questions that are explained in the first post...

Just a suggestion but people are treating the Core3 as a fully functional game... oh wait its not full release?!

Maybe as a solution to getting people online for a little fun have some sort of timed allowance for each User... say about 1-3 hours. This would then make it more fair for people to connect rather than someone to just...

Login Conect to their Master Entertainer/Master Dancer
/Macro Flourish Spam
/Macro Say rubbish spam
/AFK

Then go work for 9 hours...

Well its either alot do that or their have taught their cats, dogs and other pets how to play the game.

I think personally that 3 hours is more than enough for each person to try the game test the chosen proffessions and have fun.

Just remember all your endless grinding will be wiped at some point so dont spend 9 hours a day grinding credits when its all just going into the bin :P

Personally I agree with you up to the limit thing, I think if you're afk there should be a time limit on you as that blocks up the server for everyone else, however I think if you're actually playing where you might uncover bugs you don't deserve to get kicked for doing what you're supposed to be doing. However those obnoxious AFK Ents who spam and macro everything, yeah I don't care, kick them they're annoying and when you bring the issue up to them you pretty much get told F you get away as their macros go off asking for the Credits I worked hard getting because the missions I had were bugged and it took a great deal of effort to destroy them. See I found bugs, AFK people didn't or they're getting angry at you being mad because you got a few buddies who could help you find group bugs who can't get on because they're spamming.

The moral of this story: NO AFK ENTS, Kick them. Please.

Labyrinth
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh for heaven sakes. :(

Calipso
10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm so happy I can't get in so some AFK entertainer can sit and occupy space.....next to the 10 other AFK entertainers in Mos Eisley.

Yhor
10-22-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm so happy I can't get in so some AFK entertainer can sit and occupy space.....next to the 10 other AFK entertainers in Mos Eisley.

Check IRC #status channel.

Server cap is not why you can't log in.

Labyrinth
10-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I've heard that Miss Conception is rather fertile these days. :(

Ovale
10-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow, such aggressive opinions in posts where I see no donation awards.

"I think we should kick players who are <...doing something different than I am> and using <...a pre-CU game mechanic> to do <...what those roles did in pre-CU> and how dare they ask for my credits <...when I have gone to their place of business to receive a service from them> when I have done so much for the game by killing mission lairs (and it was hard work!). By golly kick all those obnoxious players so I can get more of my friends on.

Umm... right. Ok. We'll get right on that. Do you want fries with that?

Sheesh.

Reverend
10-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Everytime I click the irc option it makes my explorer crash whats up?

katteni
10-23-2009, 12:20 AM
think the whole reason people get annoyed with afkers is simply because of a cap only so many can be on. When they are on they see afk ents all over the place and afk people standing middle of no where so on. if every one got on there would probably be less of a issue but most likley still one as there is always some problem with afkers. no easy fix end of the day. those that dont afk grind see it as a waste and a pain. those that afk grind see it as testing server or doing things that would be boring as hell if they were there all the time. does seem to kick most people after a period of time and i assume afkers are similar.

Labyrinth
10-23-2009, 12:39 AM
think the whole reason people get annoyed with afkers is simply because of a cap only so many can be on. When they are on they see afk ents all over the place and afk people standing middle of no where so on. if every one got on there would probably be less of a issue but most likley still one as there is always some problem with afkers. no easy fix end of the day. those that dont afk grind see it as a waste and a pain. those that afk grind see it as testing server or doing things that would be boring as hell if they were there all the time. does seem to kick most people after a period of time and i assume afkers are similar.
Well that's where the comment about it being a misconception comes from. People get on, see afk ents/people "standing in the middle of nowhere" and immediately assume that those people specifically are the reason it took them a while to get on, as though removing them would change the playing field. Part of the reason this is such a misconception is because there's really no proof that these people are AFK in the first place; as has been noted in the thread that devolved into a discussion of AFK entertainers, not all entertainers who put AFK status are "completely" AFK; they're usually switching windows and whatnot. Likewise, crafters, especially busy high-level crafters who have businesses, could put up AFK status so that can conduct some things without being flooded by tells (personally I put AFK status on one of my toons if I have two online, but I still check in on both frequently). Not that this is the case with every AFK player, but heck, sometimes a player could just be AFK for a few minutes and so they put AFK status up. This is still a TC after all (no I'm not going to say "it's free, blah blah, etc., etc.") and because of that many play on multiple alts, making AFK status more common if these people want to ever complete their templates.

TL;DR version: There's no guarantee, or even any reasonable reason to think, that "booting" these AFK people would make login time shorter; if a bunch of people leave a place and a few people get past a que, who's to say that the que will actually shorten significantly. Especially when the cap is already at 2, meaning that the absolute most multi-toons could be on is double the amount of people online and that's if every single player has two toons online. Note that I'm not going after you.

katteni
10-23-2009, 12:53 AM
well atm it doesnt help there is a dealock. check irc to see. and i think like 200 odd spots open and 272 (this is from checking on irc on server updates) sitting there so most would be trying to get on. but hey like i said people just see afk and assume "that persons been there for hours afk..... blah blah blah".

Sesca
10-23-2009, 01:02 AM
i want to propose something here....

I know the most people go afk are the ents, sample(artisans), or combat in a respawn mob....

I agree with other posters to make a time limit...More like 30 mins so we all have a chance to log in and play and find bugs with our professions we are grinding!

Union
10-23-2009, 01:29 AM
There's several problems with AFK.

1) They take up slots where real people can be doing real testing.

2) How can you test if you are AFK?!

If it was live or they were paying for it, sure it's their time/their money they should do what they want. I was under the impression this is a Test Center, so shouldn't they be Testing?

A lot of people it seems are here to play and not test. I try to do a little of both. I'm not a Dev or anyone important, so my opinion doesn't mean much I guess.

Strikor
10-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Settle down, guys. I don't like it any more than you do but if AFKing were banned I would be able to count the number of musicians, dancers, weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, tailors and chefs on one hand. Like it or not it's probably not going to go away any time soon. That's not to say every major city needs a dozen buffbots going 24/7 but AFKing some things is simply unavoidable at this point. I know it's annoying but SWGEmu isn't even in beta yet and things are a little more time consuming now that we're not all just hanging out around the Gungans in Theed.

Oh, and to answer this before it's asked: No, Gungans wouldn't magically make everything better. They might lower the AFKers but they would effectively eliminate most of the actual testing being done in the process. I know it's human nature to blame others but sometimes you need to just accept reality.